You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

Computer Question

60 comments in this topic

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles

Ahoy, computer dudes and dudettes!  (How was that!?)

I don't know RAM from ROM.  So, I'm asking for info on the computer being sent to me.

It's a Dell OptiPlex 380 with Windows 7 Pro.  (Probably refurbished)

I looked at a few general reviews.  Comments about "gaming" were mixed.  I'm surmising that WOWS falls somewhere between Candy Crush and Call to Duty in terms of what speed, RAM, and blah blah, are needed to adequately play.

Is it Sea Worthy?

Thanks.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
15 minutes ago, Dogget said:

Ahoy, computer dudes and dudettes!  (How was that!?)

I don't know RAM from ROM.  So, I'm asking for info on the computer being sent to me.

It's a Dell OptiPlex 380 with Windows 7 Pro.  (Probably refurbished)

I looked at a few general reviews.  Comments about "gaming" were mixed.  I'm surmising that WOWS falls somewhere between Candy Crush and Call to Duty in terms of what speed, RAM, and blah blah, are needed to adequately play.

Is it Sea Worthy?

Thanks.

Based on this...

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

You may be able to meet the minimum requirements based on this, depending on the model of Intel CoreTM Duo processors. If it has a Pentium Dual-Core or Intel Celeron processor, it will not meet the minimum requirements.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-380-tech-guide.pdf

• Cool 1

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
7 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Based on this...

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/game/system-requirements/

You may be able to meet the minimum requirements based on this, depending on the model of Intel CoreTM Duo processors. If it has a Pentium Dual-Core or Intel Celeron processor, it will not meet the minimum requirements.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-380-tech-guide.pdf

Crapola!  I dont know that info, yet.  Here's hoping.  Thanks.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,546 posts
3,808 battles

If you can post the specs (even if you don't know what they mean) we can tell you if it will work. WOWS is pretty low requirements, so as long as it's not a tablet or made 15 years ago you should be OK.

[INTEL]
Members
2,781 posts
15,215 battles

I think this model has the Core2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz).  That would just barely meet minimum requirements.  But I suspect you wouldn't enjoy the experience.

[TDRB]
Members
4,405 posts
12,524 battles
9 minutes ago, Dogget said:

The Dell OptiPlex 380 is an office computer and I doubt if its graphics card meets the minimum requirement. I'm not sure what reviews you read but look at the dates. The older games required less video/cpu power to run.

[-BSK-]
Members
1,481 posts
7,260 battles

Its a small form factor (mini tower) office computer so I do not see it working.  When buying pre-built computers you want to see if it has a video card slot.  Mini-towers take low profile video cards, combine that with the 250w power supply of this Optiplex it will really limit you in choices.  And no, you can't just upgrade the power supply.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
9 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

If you can post the specs (even if you don't know what they mean) we can tell you if it will work. WOWS is pretty low requirements, so as long as it's not a tablet or made 15 years ago you should be OK.

Based on the OP's post of "Dell OptiPlex 380" it will have one of processors found in this.

Some will surpass the minimum requirements and some will not. The max RAM is 4GB on those models, so if Win 7 Pro and other processes take up more than 1.5GB of RAM, he will be short on RAM as well.

6 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I think this model has the Core2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz).  That would just barely meet minimum requirements.  But I suspect you wouldn't enjoy the experience.

That processor is one of the options with some being better than that. Others are lower than the WoWs minimum requirements. See the PDF on the Optiplex 380 above.

[INTEL]
Members
2,781 posts
15,215 battles
4 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The Dell OptiPlex 380 is an office computer and I doubt if its graphics card meets the minimum requirement. I'm not sure what reviews you read but look at the dates. The older games required less video/cpu power to run.

I think you're right here.  Warships minimum is IntelHD 4000.  I think the Optiplex 380 has the GMA 4500. The Intel HD 4000 is quite a bit more powerful than the GMA 4500 (and 4 year older technology).

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
27 minutes ago, Dogget said:

Sorry to be the bearer of possibly bad news.

[WORX]
Members
9,573 posts
17,554 battles

Get the PC that will carry the gaming work load of the future, not one that will probably give out because of one component. 

That said, I think you have a good PC for a limited time before its a dud.

Short time buy was your goal.. Its an ok choice.

Long term, I think you're going to need a better PC.

[INTEL]
Members
2,781 posts
15,215 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Based on the OP's post of "Dell OptiPlex 380" it will have one of processors found in this.

Some will surpass the minimum requirements and some will not. The max RAM is 4GB on those models, so if Win 7 Pro and other processes take up more than 1.5GB of RAM, he will be short on RAM as well.

That processor is one of the options with some being better than that. Others are lower than the WoWs minimum requirements. See the PDF on the Optiplex 380 above.

I'd hard pass on this computer for WoWs.  Processor at best is minimum.  GPU is going to be a no-go.  And it will almost certainly be 32 bit.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
Just now, ClassicLib said:

I'd hard pass on this computer for WoWs.  Processor at best is minimum.  GPU is going to be a no-go.  And it will almost certainly be 32 bit.

I would as well, but hopefully the OP will get one of the better processors to tide him over until he can get a better PC.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,774 posts
25,296 battles

Just googled for Dell Optiplex 380. From what I have seen, our new dishwasher, that arrived in the morning, has more computing power.

Prozessor Intel Pentium E6300

Prozessortakt 2,80 GHz

Arbeitsspeicher 2048 MB

Festplatte 160 GB

Laufwerk DVD

Sorry chap, that will not help you to play anything besides candy crush or Civ 1. 

[INTEL]
Members
2,781 posts
15,215 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I would as well, but hopefully the OP will get one of the better processors to tide him over until he can get a better PC.

It's also going to be important to get a 64 bit OS.  A used computer like this one can have a 32 bit OS installed.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
13 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Just googled for Dell Optiplex 380. From what I have seen, our new dishwasher, that arrived in the morning, has more computing power.

Prozessortakt 2,80 GHz

Arbeitsspeicher 2048 MB

Festplatte 160 GB

Laufwerk DVD

Sorry chap, that will not help you to play anything besides candy crush or Civ 1. 

That is one of the options according to this. http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-380-tech-guide.pdf

Hopefully he gets the 4GB of memory and one of the better processors which will take him over the minimum requirements for that part.

8 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

It's also going to be important to get a 64 bit OS.  A used computer like this one can have a 32 bit OS installed.

32bit OS is easier to fix than the hardware tho. 

[INTEL]
Members
2,781 posts
15,215 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

32bit OS is easier to fix than the hardware tho. 

Yes, but the cost of upgrading the OS buys you quite a bit newer hardware, likely with a better OS already installed.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
5 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Yes, but the cost of upgrading the OS buys you quite a bit newer hardware, likely with a better OS already installed.

Eh, $20 doesn't buy much hardware and you may be able to get Micro$qua$h to still give you the 64x for free or as cheap or cheaper.

j8PkmdQ.jpg

[-N-]
Members
2,156 posts
14,580 battles

You can get a decent 15.6" laptop for 400 - 500 bucks with an I5 processor that is brand new and will run wows just fine, my question would be what else are you going to use it for?  If you need cheap that is about what it is going to be for new lap top.  I use to run wows on Acer Aspire.  Nothing fancy but enough to do what I needed.

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I like your answer better.  Lol.  Dont have that info, currently.  Someone got it for me and its being drop shipped from ebay.

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

As old as 8 years ago.  That definitely scared me.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,103 posts
7,217 battles
2 minutes ago, Dogget said:

I like your answer better.  Lol.  Dont have that info, currently.  Someone got it for me and its being drop shipped from ebay.

How much did you pay?

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
48 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Prozessortakt 2,80 GHz

Arbeitsspeicher 2048 MB

Festplatte 160 GB

Laufwerk DVD

I am hoping that it has been updated and boosted.  Its from a company, not an individual seller.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
2 minutes ago, Dogget said:

I am hoping that it has been updated and boosted.  Its from a company, not an individual seller.

Even better if the motherboard was updated for more RAM, but then they would not have necessarily listed it by model.

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Got some stats, I think.  (Sadly, they start with $79 cost, and $25 shipping.  Not $105 for the unit).

934 GB, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz