You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kcbob_2000

Would love to play in clan battles. Why can't the timing be better?

48 comments in this topic

[TAFFY]
Members
6 posts
8,635 battles

I have been in my clan for quite some time now and never once played a clan battle; It seems the only time you can do them is at night an on weekends both of which are impossible for me.  It seems sensless  to limit play time to such a small block of hours, but I guess I don't know the reason behind it.  Anyhow, it would be nice if it was extended out to 12hrs or something so the rest of us could get in on it.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,442 posts

and I would prefer it not to be at 11am, but here we are.

WG caters to the casual majority.

• Cool 1

Members
1,678 posts
17,072 battles

I take it from your clan name, you are in Australia as well @Dareios ? It kind of sucks for us, huh. SEA server is not much better, and the level of game play on there is "questionable".

Edited by CaucasianReroll

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,442 posts
25 minutes ago, CaucasianReroll said:

I take it from your clan name, you are in Australia as well @Dareios ? It kind of sucks for us, huh. SEA server is not much better, and the level of game play on there is "questionable".

SEA is not even an option. WG has refused the option to transfer.

not to mention the just as high ping and dozens of languages.

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

Hey folks, we definitely any and everyone who wants to participate in CB be able to.  It's why the team has been working hard on our Cross Realm system allowing players to match up with clans in various regions.  Unfortunately there are certain time frames that we aren't going to be able to cover as effectively.  We do understand this is a commitment we are asking for and we hope we've made the rewards worthwhile for that. 

• Meh 1

[FF]
Members
346 posts
12,385 battles

Why can't a couple of players join a clan that they don't belong in  for a battle like they do in World of Tanks?

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
74 posts
16,046 battles

why can't they have 24/7 availability and match us to any server that has clan teams to field?  if not technically feasible ok, but that would give every clan on every server max flexibility to match with anyone.  forget primetime let us choose to play whenever we can and see if that works.

Edited by metameta1
  • Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,516 posts
22 minutes ago, metameta1 said:

why can't they have 24/7 availability and match us to any server that has clan teams to field?  if not technically feasible ok, but that would give every clan on every server max flexibility to match with anyone.  forget primetime let us choose to play whenever we can and see if that works.

Do people still not realize why Clan battles are so restricted?:Smile_amazed:

[PVE]
Members
3,835 posts
16,370 battles
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

Hey folks, we definitely any and everyone who wants to participate in CB be able to.  It's why the team has been working hard on our Cross Realm system allowing players to match up with clans in various regions.  Unfortunately there are certain time frames that we aren't going to be able to cover as effectively.  We do understand this is a commitment we are asking for and we hope we've made the rewards worthwhile for that. 

I have yet another question:  why can't small clans combine into a "current season" clan?  Our clan now has 4 players.....the rest left.  We'd love to participate as an 'ad hoc' Division to a clan that needs a division.....  Have you all looked into this type of arrangement?  It would increase the numbers.  And, to safeguard against cherry picking, only clans that have less than 8 players are eligible.....  We could combine a couple of short clans into one competitive clan for a season.....

We'd love to participate ! 

[A-I-M]
Members
2,702 posts
12,401 battles
1 hour ago, metameta1 said:

why can't they have 24/7 availability and match us to any server that has clan teams to field? 

There IS an answer. Be prepared not to like it , but remember I’m only telling you the answer, I’m not creating the policy:

Steel rewards. By keeping the available hours to earn them clamped down, they control how many steel rewards are earned, at the level they want. If they open up the hours available for Clan Battles, they will be issuing more Steel than they want. That would also tend to devalue purchasable Steel campaigns.

Of course, they could decide to do so, then become “concerned” about how much steel is accumulating in players accounts (remember the Free XP concerns anyone?) and respond by raising Steel ship prices.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,011 battles
4 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

There IS an answer. Be prepared not to like it , but remember I’m only telling you the answer, I’m not creating the policy:

Steel rewards. By keeping the available hours to earn them clamped down, they control how many steel rewards are earned, at the level they want. If they open up the hours available for Clan Battles, they will be issuing more Steel than they want. That would also tend to devalue purchasable Steel campaigns.

Of course, they could decide to do so, then become “concerned” about how much steel is accumulating in players accounts (remember the Free XP concerns anyone?) and respond by raising Steel ship prices.

You could probably justify a paranoid fever dream to yourself if you want, or you could look at reality instead.

There's a limited number of clans.

Forcing everyone who's participating to do it in a very narrow window ensures that there is high participation at least during that time period.

If you could do clan battles at any time you liked, you're going to run into scenarios where either you're the only team queued up and you just sit there wasting your time forever and ever and ever while you wait for someone else to queue up, or--even worse--there will be one other team available. A Hurricane team. An you'll fight them over and over and over and over again. And that will suck for you and be boring for them.

[ALL41]
Members
510 posts
12,709 battles

Our clan only has 40 members.     Even with that many members, finding 7 to come together for the 4-hour block on Clan Battles nights can be difficult.       We would never be able to field a 7-boat Clan during all hours of the day.       And let's don't forget, participating in Clan Battles is usually a 4-hour commitment for all of those players.      

If we have a few extra players who want to participate, we'll rotate in 1~3 new players after every game.    That part can be a logistical nightmare all by itself!  

I don't know the solution to the OP's question, but I'm okay with WoWs current strategy.     

[BTLST]
Members
570 posts
8,500 battles

1.  Clan Battles was designed for Clans and should remain only for Clans.     If a Clan does not have enough members then that Clan needs to Recruit more members.    Good and effective recruiting takes work, effort, and time.    Simply spamming invitations won't produce players/members!

2.  Permitting players to "temporarily" join clans that do not have enough players would, in the end, create a large transitory group of players who would only join Clans during Clan Battle Season and then leave those clans.    If players don't want to join clans then it is their choice but we need to leave Clan Battles for Clans and the Clans must rise to the necessary membership levels to field a Clan Battle Team.

3.  As for time issues, most clans have members who live in different times zones which further compounds the issue of getting players together at the time Clan Battles occur.   Recruiting only players who reside within a certain time zone, or two makes recruiting more difficult.

Lastly, most of the issues I've seen raised are really more of an issue for each Clan to resolve themselves!

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

I have yet another question:  why can't small clans combine into a "current season" clan?  Our clan now has 4 players.....the rest left.  We'd love to participate as an 'ad hoc' Division to a clan that needs a division.....  Have you all looked into this type of arrangement?  It would increase the numbers.  And, to safeguard against cherry picking, only clans that have less than 8 players are eligible.....  We could combine a couple of short clans into one competitive clan for a season.....

We'd love to participate ! 

Asym, why not just take your 4 clan members and simply just join another clan?  That seems a lot easier.

Also, if you think carefully about it, there's no reason you couldn't join a few small clans together.  Just get a few of these small clans to agree that they want to work together.  Then create a new clan, and have everyone of those small clans' players join this new clan.  You'd have to come up with some arrangement for who's the clan commander and so on.  You might also want to have every clan commander from their old clan create an ALT account that they can assign to be the clan commander of their old clan, so that after the CBs season was over, they could all return to their old clan. (Also might want to create an ALT account to be a stand-in clan CO for the new "combined" clan too for after CBs season.)

Or you could do the same as above with multiple small clans merging into a single larger clan, and just stay merged.  You'd have more players working on earning oil for the merged clan.  And maybe if you spent the oil on enlarging your roster size limit, you might consider bringing in other very small clans into your merged clan.

There are ways to use the current structures to accomplish what you're talking about.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
19 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

1.  Clan Battles was designed for Clans and should remain only for Clans.     If a Clan does not have enough members then that Clan needs to Recruit more members.    Good and effective recruiting takes work, effort, and time.    Simply spamming invitations won't produce players/members!

2.  Permitting players to "temporarily" join clans that do not have enough players would, in the end, create a large transitory group of players who would only join Clans during Clan Battle Season and then leave those clans.    If players don't want to join clans then it is their choice but we need to leave Clan Battles for Clans and the Clans must rise to the necessary membership levels to field a Clan Battle Team.

3.  As for time issues, most clans have members who live in different times zones which further compounds the issue of getting players together at the time Clan Battles occur.   Recruiting only players who reside within a certain time zone, or two makes recruiting more difficult.

Lastly, most of the issues I've seen raised are really more of an issue for each Clan to resolve themselves!

1. If a clan is serious about Clan Battles, it needs players who WANT to play clan battles.  Just spamming out invites does little more than inflating a clan's roster without any guarantee that you'd end up with more dedicated Clan Battles players.  If you want dedicated Clan Battles players, you need to interview potential recruits to determine if they really, really want to play CBs.

2. In truth, players can already join clans for the short term (i.e. a clan battles season).  Nothing can stop them from leaving.  Of course, clans don't have to invite players who have a record of bailing on a clan after the CBs season is over.  OTOH, depending on the size of a clan's roster, if your clan is having trouble fielding a full CBs team, I don't think that recruiting short termers is the worst thing going, if it allows your clan mates to play CBs, even if the temp player does end up leaving.  I joined my current clan late in a CBs season because they were having trouble fielding a team.  I allowed them to field a team nearly every night at the end of that season, and to reach Typhoon league.  And I've been with that same clan for the past year.  

3. This is a real issue.  Yes, it might be more difficult to recruit only, say, Eastern and Central TZ players, but on the flip side, you'll probably end up with players who will be able to play for a greater portion of the CBs nightly time window.  Pacific TZ players definitely get the short end of the stick in CBs, at least during weekdays.

[1984]
Members
3,909 posts
18,842 battles
3 hours ago, Radar_X said:

The efforts you are making are great, but why limit the time zone to one period? Why not have round the clock clan battles available as is the case for ranked battles? This would maximize the amount of time for players to participate. A happy medium would be at the very least to merge two time zones, for example european and north american into one longer clan battle time while eliminating the “dead hour(s)” between the two times.

Edited by monpetitloup

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
3 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Here's an idea to consider, Radar.  Using the concept of Cross Realm and prime times, consider this.

Why not have two NA server regions?  One east coast and the other west coast.  The East Coast region would have a prime time of 7:30pm to 11:30pm EASTERN TIME, while the West Coast region would have a prime time of 7:30pm to 11:30pm PACIFIC TIME.  And just like selecting a region is currently (as I understand it), a clan could choose either the East region or West region, but not both at the same time.

Having said that, I foresee a problem, from a clan perspective.  Right now, I imagine that all NA clans have a smattering of people from all TZs in their clans.  But if suddenly there were two NA regions to choose from, what do they do?  I could see this being sort of destructive to some clans, as they'd either choose to pick the region (East or West) that the Clan Commander chose or possibly choose by majority vote.  But this might cause a lot of players to leave their clan, if the clan chose the region that didn't fit their personal schedule/location.  And you might end up with clans being rearranged by East vs West.  So, sure, it might all settle out given enough time.  But it might be a painful transition in the meantime.

Anyways, just some thoughts....

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
5 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

The efforts you are making are great, but why limit the time zone to one period? Why not have round the clock clan battles available as is the case for ranked battles? This would maximize the amount of time for players to participate. A happy medium would be at the very least to merge two time zones, for example european and north american into one longer clan battle time while eliminating the “dead hour(s)” between the two times.

Because I think that they're trying to concentrate clans into playing within specific windows to have more clans in the CBs queues, rather than allowing them to get spread out all across a much larger window, and potentially causing very long wait times.

[1984]
Members
3,909 posts
18,842 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Because I think that they're trying to concentrate clans into playing within specific windows to have more clans in the CBs queues, rather than allowing them to get spread out all across a much larger window, and potentially causing very long wait times.

From what i noticed, the wait times were not long for the time zones i mention. This is because the two “prime times” nearly overlap at the end of europe/beggining of NA. Extending the two into one large time slot would be only beneficial.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
5 hours ago, kcbob_2000 said:

I have been in my clan for quite some time now and never once played a clan battle; It seems the only time you can do them is at night an on weekends both of which are impossible for me.  It seems sensless  to limit play time to such a small block of hours, but I guess I don't know the reason behind it.  Anyhow, it would be nice if it was extended out to 12hrs or something so the rest of us could get in on it.

kcbob, I think that they've said in the past that the reason for the small windows of time is to concentrate the clans into those narrow time windows to shorten CBs queue times.  Otherwise, they risk having clans queueing up for CBs 24/7 and ending up with terribly long wait times.

[SALVO]
Members
24,198 posts
24,546 battles
Just now, monpetitloup said:

From what i noticed, the wait times were not long for the time zones i mention. This is because the two “prime times” nearly overlap at the end of europe/beggining of NA. Extending the two into one large time slot would be only beneficial.

It doesn't help people on the west coast, which I think is the biggest issue for most CBs players.

[1984]
Members
3,909 posts
18,842 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

It doesn't help people on the west coast, which I think is the biggest issue for most CBs players.

Not at all. As op mentioned, ANZAC is extremely poorly served, those of us in europe are as well. I dont care if they extend the clan battles in the far end of NA time, just that they also need to do it on the near side.

[POP]
Members
992 posts
13,778 battles

Can we have Alpha team play EU and Bravo team play NA.? on the same day?

I think a West Coast NA is a great idea, especially if it could be split between Alpha and Bravo teams.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,958 posts
14,614 battles

This season the time was good for most of my clan. The last season was terrible (10:30pm to 2:30am here in last season). I like the way they change a bit the time from season to season so is not privilegiate only one reagion.

I think we have 5~6 time zones in the NA server.

Maybe split the time in 2 x 3 hours (2 is so little to organizate) per day?

[PVE]
Members
3,835 posts
16,370 battles
39 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Asym, why not just take your 4 clan members and simply just join another clan?  That seems a lot easier.

Also, if you think carefully about it, there's no reason you couldn't join a few small clans together.  Just get a few of these small clans to agree that they want to work together.  Then create a new clan, and have everyone of those small clans' players join this new clan.  You'd have to come up with some arrangement for who's the clan commander and so on.  You might also want to have every clan commander from their old clan create an ALT account that they can assign to be the clan commander of their old clan, so that after the CBs season was over, they could all return to their old clan. (Also might want to create an ALT account to be a stand-in clan CO for the new "combined" clan too for after CBs season.)

Or you could do the same as above with multiple small clans merging into a single larger clan, and just stay merged.  You'd have more players working on earning oil for the merged clan.  And maybe if you spent the oil on enlarging your roster size limit, you might consider bringing in other very small clans into your merged clan.

There are ways to use the current structures to accomplish what you're talking about.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.  We have talked about it....  the Clan history is that of a successful competitive team in another game.....that retired and came to WoWs.....  That many type A's in one place is a bag of worms....  I'm the odd player out; since, I never played FPS type games; but, I come from military (Army and Naval) SIMs, actually shoot competitively (that's how I met my clan sponsor) and was invited to join.........

You have some great ideas.  I seriously doubt the founders will close out what's left of the clan: too much history there.....   I was thinking in terms of WG "seeing an opportunity" to expand the organized mode of the game to include lots of small teams that don't have the participants.  My ideas are:

Create ad hoc, first come, first serve "seasonal clan teams" for clans without sufficient players to field a clan or individual players, whom are not associated with a clan, the place to participate and meet players.....

Or, Create a "lottery" for existing clans that need one or two players that can "float" to insure that their scheduled play time has sufficient players to deploy.  I have heard that some clans "just can't get everyone together consistently.  this "pool of floats allows singles to play and clans to participate !

Or, have the game itself flesh out "short clans" at launch with "approved float players" whom list what ships they specialize in.......that way, the "short clan" has a list of what is available at that exact time to chose from.....

Options to allow for participation without having to close down small clans whom are trying to recruit but, just don't have what they need "right now..."

Many thanks for the suggestions !

Edited by Asym_KS