Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Looking for some advice on a ship purchase

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

381
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
3,505 battles

For quite some time I was a DD main, made it as far as Fletcher in the US line, and shes sitting on the XP for Gearing, just haven't spent the credits on her.

Anyhow, since the CV rework I've leaned more towards cruiser play. In particular the USN CL line which I have thru Cleveland. Helena at tier 7 is the most fun of that line, in my opinion.

Very shortly I'll be sitting on 180,000 coal, which I'd been planning on spending on Salem, but I could just as easily get any other coal ship in the armory. With the event skippers more options open for starting with a 10 point captain of another nation as well.

I've never really been a fan of battleships, so I don't plan on getting any of those, which narrows my choices a bit.

Just figured I'd ask my fellow captains what experience they have had with Salem and whether you would recommend her or a different coal ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,711
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,770 posts
22,130 battles

There are many advantages to Salem. First it is a tier 10 ship which will allow you to get the annual Super Container reward for owning her. Second is she is a tier 10 WITH permanent camo. The price of the ship in coal is well worth this one thing when you look at the price of camo for tier 10s. The fact she comes with a port slot is just gravy.  BTW the camo has the standard reduced service costs and there is another reduced service cost associated with the ship (I think is how this works) so you can actually play Salem in co-op, not do particularly well, and not lose credits.

The ship is fun, but it is a heavy cruiser, not a light. She is basically a Des Moines with reduced radar but a very good heal. IMHO she is a really good boat but I am a scrub so take it for what it is worth. The big question is does your appreciation of light cruisers translate into the heavy line. Since most US light cruiser captains have the IFHE skill, they are not ideal for the heavies. You need a specialized CA captain for them. If you have New Orleans, Pensacola, or the like, you will be fine. If not, you need to start a new captain for the ship which isn't ideal for a premium ship.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
3,505 battles

Coincidentally i just started the USN heavy cruiser line as well, with Cybermedes as a new 10 pointer in Pensacola (with space camo, of course). Since I'll have permanent camos for that line from 6-9 by the end of the month i figured, why not.

He could easily be my Salem captain as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,661
[TBW]
Members
9,814 posts
16,571 battles
11 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

There are many advantages to Salem. First it is a tier 10 ship which will allow you to get the annual Super Container reward for owning her. Second is she is a tier 10 WITH permanent camo. The price of the ship in coal is well worth this one thing when you look at the price of camo for tier 10s. The fact she comes with a port slot is just gravy.  BTW the camo has the standard reduced service costs and there is another reduced service cost associated with the ship (I think is how this works) so you can actually play Salem in co-op, not do particularly well, and not lose credits.

The ship is fun, but it is a heavy cruiser, not a light. She is basically a Des Moines with reduced radar but a very good heal. IMHO she is a really good boat but I am a scrub so take it for what it is worth. The big question is does your appreciation of light cruisers translate into the heavy line. Since most US light cruiser captains have the IFHE skill, they are not ideal for the heavies. You need a specialized CA captain for them. If you have New Orleans, Pensacola, or the like, you will be fine. If not, you need to start a new captain for the ship which isn't ideal for a premium ship.
 

Sounds like a Boise/Helena but at tier 10. I have it, haven't played it but maybe once.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,711
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,770 posts
22,130 battles
2 minutes ago, dechion said:

Coincidentally i just started the USN heavy cruiser line as well, with Cybermedes as a new 10 pointer in Pensacola (with space camo, of course). Since I'll have permanent camos for that line from 6-9 by the end of the month i figured, why not.

He could easily be my Salem captain as well.

Good deal. IMHO the Salem is well worth the cost but like I said, am a bit of a potato. Hopefully a better player will chime in. Might check out LittleWhiteMouse's review of the ship. She always has great information. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

Ima dd main also and I think that the Salem is a good ship, especially if you want to experience the tier X USN Cruiser game without having to endure the long grind to the DM.  I bought one long after I completed that line and it actually caused me to go back and revisit these rarely later ships in my port.  Worth the coal if you have it (and are not a Frenchophile)

Edited by USSLangley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,661
[TBW]
Members
9,814 posts
16,571 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Good deal. IMHO the Salem is well worth the cost but like I said, am a bit of a potato. Hopefully a better player will chime in. Might check out LittleWhiteMouse's review of the ship. She always has great information. Good luck!

What's wrong with potato speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,493
[ARGSY]
Members
18,277 posts
12,709 battles
1 minute ago, Taylor3006 said:

Good deal. IMHO the Salem is well worth the cost but like I said, am a bit of a potato. Hopefully a better player will chime in. Might check out LittleWhiteMouse's review of the ship. She always has great information. Good luck!

LWM's review was written when Salem's post-battle costs were still horrific, so you have to take it with that grain of salt. She is a much, much, MUCH better bargain right now; she gives roughly T7 cruiser service costs at T10.

If you are starting the US heavy cruiser line and want to work your way up it, Salem is a pretty good ship to have. T10 can be brutal, but Salem will let you do it without bleeding credits (and in co-op too), and is a fun way to retrain your commanders between ships. Faced with the decision between Salem and Jean Bart, I chose Salem without hesitation; she was my first T10 ship and gave me my own mount for Clan Battles instead of having to rely on rentals that I can't put camo on and can't practice with.

I don't think you'll regret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,711
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,770 posts
22,130 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

What's wrong with potato speak.

LOL well someone who sucks at the PvP game, probably shouldn't be making advice posts for those who play the mode.. In co-op, Salem does really well for me but can not say for sure she would do well for playing human opponents.

BTW the Helena and Boise are lights. I love Helena and was hoping the Boise would be in Armory since it is the last ship in the game I am mildly interested in.. Problem is I have the Argentine version so being a bit of a miser, not going to spend real money on an identical ship, especially since I have doubloons. I really love all the US cruisers now where I used to complain and moan about some of them. I even like the much hated Seattle and it served me well for the time I spent in Ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,434
[KWF]
Members
4,032 posts
6,179 battles

Keep in mind Yoshino (tier X IJN Azuma) will be available for Coal in the future in case you want an IJN ship. If not, then Salem is a solid choice. Her the only disadvantage compared to Des Moines that isn't balanced out by the super heal is the lack of a Legendary Upgrade which Des Moines has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,661
[TBW]
Members
9,814 posts
16,571 battles
5 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

BTW the Helena and Boise are lights

With the 10 second reload I consider the Boise a 1.5 light. I love the heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,678 posts
17,048 battles

I hated the first 5-10 games I had in the Salem because I tried to play it like Des Moines, but now I learned how to play it properly and it is a very good, very strong ship and I do not regret using the coal on it one single bit.

The super heal opens up so many more realms of use, it's a very strong ship. You can effectively 1v1 any cruiser nose in, you will win the DPM race and you can just heal it up and move on the the next scrub and do the same to them.

 

A lot of folks demount the radar and take hydro instead, but thats not something I'm willing to do. I like the radar for island ambuses and smoke screen clearing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
859
[INTEL]
Members
2,783 posts
15,307 battles
5 minutes ago, CaucasianReroll said:

I hated the first 5-10 games I had in the Salem because I tried to play it like Des Moines, but now I learned how to play it properly and it is a very good, very strong ship and I do not regret using the coal on it one single bit.

The super heal opens up so many more realms of use, it's a very strong ship. You can effectively 1v1 any cruiser nose in, you will win the DPM race and you can just heal it up and move on the the next scrub and do the same to them.

 

A lot of folks demount the radar and take hydro instead, but thats not something I'm willing to do. I like the radar for island ambuses and smoke screen clearing.

 

I keep telling folks to play her differently than the Des Moines.  You need to choose your battles carefully but she doesn't need to island camp and play peek-a-boo as much as the Des Moines does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,402 battles
53 minutes ago, dechion said:

For quite some time I was a DD main, made it as far as Fletcher in the US line, and shes sitting on the XP for Gearing, just haven't spent the credits on her.

Anyhow, since the CV rework I've leaned more towards cruiser play. In particular the USN CL line which I have thru Cleveland. Helena at tier 7 is the most fun of that line, in my opinion.

Very shortly I'll be sitting on 180,000 coal, which I'd been planning on spending on Salem, but I could just as easily get any other coal ship in the armory. With the event skippers more options open for starting with a 10 point captain of another nation as well.

I've never really been a fan of battleships, so I don't plan on getting any of those, which narrows my choices a bit.

Just figured I'd ask my fellow captains what experience they have had with Salem and whether you would recommend her or a different coal ship.

 

if you intend to see the US Cruiser lines to the end, Salem is a good trainer for your Des Moines and heavy cruiser lines. I usually played a battle in the regular ship, then rolled the captain into the Salem to 'double dip' on the XP bonus for a win.

Salem gameplay is pretty much the same as Des Moines, to a point......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,101 posts
17,896 battles

In co-op only Salem is good but I think Jean Bart is better. Imho

Edited by Mikebello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
3,505 battles
1 hour ago, Mikebello said:

In co-op only Salem is good but I think Jean Bart is better. Imho

I've heard good things about Jean Bart, but I'm not really a fan of battleships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
3,505 battles

Looks like Salem will be going into my port this week, and I'll use my Pensacola captain in her.

Next mission: researching how to spec a 10 point USN CA skipper to take up the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,493
[ARGSY]
Members
18,277 posts
12,709 battles
8 minutes ago, dechion said:

Next mission: researching how to spec a 10 point USN CA skipper to take up the line.

You may find yourself in a bit of a conundrum on that one. I was never sure which three-point skill to take. For British cruisers it was easy; from Tier 5 they have heal and smoke, and they need Superintendent for extra charges of both. For US heavies, the things you desperately want extra charges of don't really start until Tier 8, with Baltimore's radar, and then the heals that the T9 and T10 cruisers get.  The Wiki will recommend something like PT, EM, DE, CE.

Pensacola consumable slots that benefit from SI can take a fighter and either DFAA or Hydroacoustic Search (the latter recommended in co-op, as there are no enemy carriers there right now). New Orleans is the same. You are probably better off taking something like Demolition Expert to increase your fire chance, but I would ask around. By the time you really, REALLY need Superintendent, you have probably earned enough captain XP for it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
682
[-BSK-]
Members
1,481 posts
7,330 battles

I would say the USN light cruisers require more skill so I would suggest going the heavy line first.  The Salem is a tough one, I have almost bought her but now have Worcester and Des Moines so less interested now that before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,125
[A-D-F]
Members
2,031 posts
7,286 battles

Salem, yes.  You will not regret the purchase.  She has fast loading, hard hitting 8 inch guns, decent radar and a superb heal.  She will always earn her keep as well due to the permacamo that comes with her.

If you don't have a DesMemes with permacamo, Salem is a great fit for your fleet.

Someone else may want to chime in on this but I believe that there is no option for a legendary upgrade with Salem.  This needs fact checked.

Either way, Salem is a good choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,550
[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
12,005 battles

Something that no one else has mentioned is that Salem has much better AA than Des Moines.

 

They both have the same 6x2 127mm long range and 12x2 76.2mm mid range AA guns, but Salem does not have the 20mm short range guns. So from 0-1.5km, here is what each one has.

 

DM 12x1 20mm AA 211 DPS with an 85% hit rate.

Salem uses the 12x2 76.2mm mid range AA in the short range, so you have 875 DPS with a 90% ht rate and also have 11 flak clouds to 0km range with 1,400 DPS in the clouds.

 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Someone else may want to chime in on this but I believe that there is no option for a legendary upgrade with Salem.  This needs fact checked.

I have both and could not install the DM UU on Salem.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,035
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
23,350 posts
17,564 battles

Salem is a worthy purchase if you don't have Des Memes, or you do have Des Memes and like it so much you want another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,550
[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
12,005 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Salem is a worthy purchase if you don't have Des Memes, or you do have Des Memes and like it so much you want another one.

Or want to make the Salem the AA bote and focus on DM more on survivability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×