You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSPC_1264

F - key Idea ye or nay?

69 comments in this topic

Members
52 posts
3,647 battles

After watching so many team mates fire a salvo of torp's right into the path of one of his teammates, and I've done it to people too. How about we designate an F key that lets dd's (or ships with torp's) announce when they are about to fire torp's?

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,342 posts
13,879 battles

I have no issue with this but it would not remove the firing players responsibility to not fire torpedoes that a friendly could sail into.

• Cool 3

[PONL]
Members
46 posts
4,850 battles

I don't really like this.

It would send the signal that launching torps from behind friendlies is OK as long as you announce it, which it should never be. I would argue that the biggest consequence of backline torping isn't even the risk of hitting friendlies, it's the fact that you lock them into a certain path. "I couldn't dodge that salvo of BB AP because your torps were in the way" is not a scenario you ever want to happen.

• Cool 8

[NSEW]
Members
1,725 posts
10,368 battles

I appreciate your direction with the suggestion. However, as others mentioned. It will open another can of grief/complaints/excuses, that could be avoided by players diligently launching their torpedoes.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,082 posts
4,438 battles

One of several great ideas for quick chat options. As people have said, the only issue is some ignorant folks may think this relieves them of responsibility

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,184 posts
14,120 battles

Basic rule of thumb. Almost never ever launch torpedos when behind friendly ships. I switch to guns, or manuver and wait till friendlies are out of the way. The one percent of the time I do, is if with a clan mate and communicating with them before I launch.

A piece of advice I read awhile back. It was good advice I took.

When launching YOUR torpedos. They are YOUR responsibility.

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,571 battles
33 minutes ago, kirby747 said:

After watching so many team mates fire a salvo of torp's right into the path of one of his teammates, and I've done it to people too. How about we designate an F key that lets dd's (or ships with torp's) announce when they are about to fire torp's?

No, too many would see this as a warning for friendlies to get out of their torpedoes path an increase the number of TK.

Members
52 posts
3,647 battles
22 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

No, too many would see this as a warning for friendlies to get out of their torpedoes path an increase the number of TK.

So if i press an f key that say I will be firing torpedoes, you wouldnt look at the screen and see which ship announced? And take evasive action. Because its hard to type torpedoes!!! while doing evasive maneuvers.

Members
52 posts
3,647 battles
59 minutes ago, Junko_Zane said:

I don't really like this.

It would send the signal that launching torps from behind friendlies is OK as long as you announce it, which it should never be. I would argue that the biggest consequence of backline torping isn't even the risk of hitting friendlies, it's the fact that you lock them into a certain path. "I couldn't dodge that salvo of BB AP because your torps were in the way" is not a scenario you ever want to happen.

"I couldn't dodge that salvo of BB AP because your torps were in the way" is not a scenario you ever want to happen." I agree with this I've been there and you thave to run that tline because you have  a torp port and starboard and they are going about the same speed as your ship. 

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
12,004 battles
1 hour ago, kirby747 said:

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I have no issue with this but it would not remove the firing players responsibility to not fire torpedoes that a friendly could sail into.

THIS^^^

Your ordinance, so you are responsible to not hit green ships with it. Yes, accidents can happen, but if you are thinking, I can make the shot if the green guy does this, you probably should not take the shot.

[TDRB]
Members
4,429 posts
12,571 battles
1 hour ago, kirby747 said:

So if i press an f key that say I will be firing torpedoes, you wouldnt look at the screen and see which ship announced? And take evasive action. Because its hard to type torpedoes!!! while doing evasive maneuvers.

NO! I'm already taking evasive action to avoid enemy fire. Why should I need to turn broadside to the enemy to avoid friendly fire?

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles
2 hours ago, kirby747 said:

So many people don't pay attention to the minimap or chat window.  Even experienced players get tunnel vision in a knife fight and wouldn't necessarily see the map or chat warning.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,375 posts
14,090 battles

Because you warned your teammate that you're launching torps doesn't means they have the luxury to avoid it without taking heavy damage. Just saying...

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

How about instead, if you press the F3 key while pointing to ANY torp (friendly or enemy), it calls attention to it ala F3'ing an enemy, plane, or point?

[YORHA]
Members
4,804 posts
9,474 battles
8 hours ago, kirby747 said:

You are just looking for permission to fire from behind your allies and  an excuse for when you hit them.  You are not the only other ship on the map and other players may be distracted shooting at the red team instead of the green one.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
18,628 battles
9 hours ago, kirby747 said:

Or, they could make it automatic the same way Hydro and Radar are announced … just to be extra annoying :)

"Attention - FoF Torps deployed … Move it or Lose it!"

Edited by Commander_367

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles
9 hours ago, kirby747 said:

People regularly ignore chat while tunnel-visioned on a target.  So yes, they will miss such an announcement.

And it leads to the same problem when firing torpedoes... you'd be forcing your team mates to turn/move in a direction that may not be beneficial to them.  Do you ever pause to look around and consider the consequences of forcing your team mates to turn out of the path of your torpedoes?  I'll bet you do not.

[S-N-D]
Members
3,271 posts
7,658 battles
10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Not an issue because there is no responsibility. It's true that you turn pink from a friendly hit but that's because there is no way to distinguish between intentional or not. 

You are responsible for your own ships' safety. 

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Meh 2

[THOR]
Members
435 posts
5,614 battles

I have had many a time to fire torps on a good solution could hit  a friendly so I did not fire. That is having value for your teammates over the kill. I try to do my best for the team.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles
1 hour ago, _Caliph_ said:

Not an issue because there is no responsibility. It's true that you turn pink from a friendly hit but that's because there is no way to distinguish between intentional or not. 

You are responsible for your own ships' safety. 

Sure, but you are also responsible for your weapons, and thus, you are at fault if your weapons hit your teammates.

• Cool 1

Members
4,083 posts
4,347 battles

May have to be a wheel option because the F key is tied down to the reload button for single launch torp ships. 

[S-N-D]
Members
3,271 posts
7,658 battles
42 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

Sure, but you are also responsible for your weapons, and thus, you are at fault if your weapons hit your teammates.

Not unless I directly fire them at my teammate. Other than that, nope. You can repeat it as often as you care too, you will watch where you go or you will have your hit points blown away and deal with the consequences. Torpedoes have the right away. Man up and be accountable for where you put your ship.

A DD can not concentrate on staying alive, lining up torpedo runs all the while trying to watch whether you are going to decide to yolo ahead and into the path of torpedoes. It is unreasonable to expect them to be able to calculate all of those factors in the heat of combat. So much in fact they removed potential bans from it because of how idiotic the policy was.

If assigning fault makes you feel better have at it. It doesn't effect the DD as the likelihood of it occurring game after game without intention is abysmal meanwhile if you are sunk you deal with the hit to your stats. Yolo out in front of them game after game and see who pays the price for it.

You have torpedo warnings and just as you dodge enemy torpedoes you can dodge friendlies in the event it is necessary.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 4

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,704 posts
4,097 battles
1 minute ago, _Caliph_ said:

Not unless I directly fire them at my teammate. Other than that, nope. You can repeat it as often as you care too, you will watch where you go or you will have your hit points blown away and deal with the consequences. Torpedoes have the right away. Man up and be accountable for where you put your ship.

A DD can not concentrate on staying alive, lining up torpedo runs all the while trying to watch whether you are going to decide to yolo ahead and into the path of torpedoes. It is unreasonable to expect them to be able to calculate all of those factors in the heat of combat. So much in fact they removed potential bans from it because of how idiotic the policy was.

Then you don't mind when people randomly hit you in combat with their main battery?  All the same things apply, and people get to very close ranges sometimes.  Are you saying people should get out of the way because you MIGHT fire at the same ship they're fighting?

If you are unable to calculate that ships between you and the enemy are potentially able to eat your torpedoes in the heat of combat, how can you expect people to reasonably calculate that they are potentially in the path of your torpedoes in that same heat of combat?  This is not a reasonable argument.

[S-N-D]
Members
3,271 posts
7,658 battles
5 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

Then you don't mind when people randomly hit you in combat with their main battery?  All the same things apply, and people get to very close ranges sometimes.  Are you saying people should get out of the way because you MIGHT fire at the same ship they're fighting?

If you are unable to calculate that ships between you and the enemy are potentially able to eat your torpedoes in the heat of combat, how can you expect people to reasonably calculate that they are potentially in the path of your torpedoes in that same heat of combat?  This is not a reasonable argument.

They don't because it is a kindergarten difficulty weapon platform. Apples and oranges. The rest of your argument is obtuse. It isn't worth addressing. People are watching the enemy, they are the threat, not friendlies. DDs do not have 100k hit points. Considering most of the friendly fire occurs with friendlies approaching from behind a DD it becomes obvious and if you have a basic sailing safety certificate in real life, you know the person approaching from the rear has responsibility to alert and make safe approach.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[-BUI-]
Members
1,632 posts
4,949 battles
13 hours ago, kirby747 said:

I use the "N" key for this.   If there is a ship in a position that it could hit my torps, I blast my horn as I release them, if they turn to look at me...they'll see my torps.

• Cool 1