You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Carrier Review (Part Three): Attack Aircraft

35 comments in this topic

[KENT]
Members
231 posts
4,711 battles

@LittleWhiteMouse thanks for the review on the attack aircraft. This should be really helpful when I decide on which carrier to buy. 

On a side note, I think you might need some rest after all these highly in-depth reviews.

Thanks again for this breakdown of the premiums attack aircraft! (And you're earlier torpedo plane review)

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

even graf zeppelin need some weakness,at least she is not that the bottom of the list.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

Sorry mouse got to disagree with you here.

58 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The big question is this:  "Should attack aircraft form up part of my regular plane rotation?"

The answer isn't simple but it largely boils down to this:  How good are you with your dive bombers and torpedo planes?  The better you are with these two types of aircraft, the less you'll ever need to take out attack aircraft.  Attack aircraft were meant to counter destroyers but they haven't performed as well in this task since early on in the CV-rework.  This task has largely been taken over by dive bombers.

I really need to publish a guide on how to hit destroyers with rockets. But to boil it down to its most basic components, when you begin the attack run, don't use the A &D keys to maneuver. Use the mouse and W&S for fine adjustments and the penalties to aim(which i will be calling focus from now on) are much less severe. You now have an effective tool against DDs. The benefit of attackers is that they are quicker and can thus be used for actually hunting destroyers more efficiently. And the more you use different types of planes to easier it is to avoid being deplaned.

Unless your Kaga with her enormous reserves you should get used to using all of your aircraft.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News
  • Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Members
182 posts
717 battles
18 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Sorry mouse got to disagree with you here.

I really need to publish a guide on how to hit destroyers with rockets. But to boil it down to its most basic components, when you begin the attack run, don't use the A &D keys to maneuver. Use the mouse and W&S for fine adjustments and the penalties to aim(which i will be calling focus from now on) are much less severe. You now have an effective tool against DDs. The benefit of attackers is that they are quicker and can thus be used for actually hunting destroyers more efficiently. And the more you use different types of planes to easier it is to avoid being deplaned.

Unless your Kaga with her enormous reserves you should get used to using all of your aircraft.

Tims are the only good rockets. Other rockets are honestly just poor damage. 

For everything with HE DBs, they are always the better option for killing DDs.

[LTPTG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,796 posts
1,473 battles

So Saipan is good dealing with DDs, nice.

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles
6 minutes ago, Ayanami_Kai_Ni said:

More than half of the offerings up there don't get HE dive bomers tough if you exclude Implacable's level bombers (they're HE but you really shouldn't be hunting DDs in them). You simply need to use attackers for those CVs.

0 posts
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Speed matters so much for an aircraft carrier's planes, moreso than durability.  If a plane is fast enough and they have a long enough attack-run time, they can outright negate the threat of flak bursts.  In addition, speed also reduces exposure to sustained damage from AA mounts.  Finally, speed means there's less travel time both to and from the target, allowing a carrier player to deliver more attacks over time. 

*Blinks twice*, could swear I have read this argument somewhere before :Smile_hiding:But I wholeheartedly agree, for advanced CV gameplay, speed trumps agility/hp. (Which is why I still consider Saipan, on paper at least, to be the best long term premium CV purchase option, for anyone who buys and intends to actually use them - rather than just ogle their lines in the port view, as its planes are hard hitting, reasonably quick and also have good hp)

Looking forward to the dive bomber comparison article.

also, enjoyable and stimulating read, as always. +1s!

Interesting to see the USN cvs, premium and tech tree, doing so well in the comparison tables. But poor IJN, they give a bad impression.

[BROOK]
3,118 posts

Anti Destroyer aircraft that can't hunt destroyers, GG WG.

• Funny 2

[SBS]
Members
5,198 posts
1 hour ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

And the more you use different types of planes to easier it is to avoid being deplaned.

This seems to be a key point that not everyone understands.  You're going to lose planes, its unavoidable.  You need to spread those loses out over all of your squadrons.  That also maximizes your plane regeneration, another very important part of air craft management.

• Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,741 posts
12,287 battles

Interesting, and well done.

And now people can see why I frequently don't use fighters for scouting on the Graf Zeppelin, and will often go with torpedo bombers.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
55 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Anti Destroyer aircraft that can't hunt destroyers, GG WG.

They were when the CV Rework was new.  Not so anymore.  I think it lasted what?  2 weeks?

[WOLF8]
Members
6,825 posts
5,943 battles

Great job on another stellar review, Miss Maus. Once again, I learned a lot. :Smile_great:

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,956 battles
4 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm not going to lie -- I find Graf Zeppelin's rocket aircraft to be pretty crappy, to be honest.  They're not Kaga-bad, at least.  For a ship that lacks HE bombs, I would have preferred to see a swarm of a small number of destroyer killers but I'll take baby Tiny Tims.

That is basically what‘s wrong with GZ. A very one dimensional armament that focuses mostly on Torpedo bombers, while lacking effective tools against Destroyers.

A nice review~

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,302 posts
6,266 battles

Great job on the breakdown, but small point: Enterprise's Hellcats (last I checked at least) don't actually use HVARs, but rather the 5" HE FFARs that are used by Langley and Ranger, hence why they're not as strong. Also I think that historically GZ's 21cm rockets were AP, and I'm pretty sure the Tiny Tim was semi-AP; that explains their higher pen, but I don't know if the devs took that into account. It's just as likely that they're treated as siple HE and the warhead makes up the penetration.

2 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

This seems to be a key point that not everyone understands.  You're going to lose planes, its unavoidable.  You need to spread those loses out over all of your squadrons.  That also maximizes your plane regeneration, another very important part of air craft management.

Yes. In some cases you can spam the same aircraft type over and over again with Kaga because of her ridiculous reserves, but it's not recommended that you try unless you're top tier and already have a good handle on the ship.

Also, again, those poor, poor little Seafires... I will never stop feeling sorry for those planes.

0 posts
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

That is basically what‘s wrong with GZ. A very one dimensional armament that focuses mostly on Torpedo bombers, while lacking effective tools against Destroyers.

A nice review~

polar opposite of the great swiss knife multitool she once (in RTS days) was. A shame, a lack of imagination somewhere.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,785 posts
9,631 battles
4 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Great job on the breakdown, but small point: Enterprise's Hellcats (last I checked at least) don't actually use HVARs, but rather the 5" HE FFARs that are used by Langley and Ranger, hence why they're not as strong.

I don't think I say anywhere that Enterprise uses HVAR.  :Smile_amazed:

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,038 posts
7,956 battles
8 hours ago, LoveBote said:

polar opposite of the great swiss knife multitool she once (in RTS days) was. A shame, a lack of imagination somewhere.

I am just disappointed with how WG balanced her. The nerf to her TBs was 100% justified, but even these days the TBs are the weapon of choice. Simply because they are fast and hit relatively hard. Instead of bringing the TBs in line and making the other two types attractive, they left the TBs in an above average state while leaving the other two types in an underwhelming one.

Also, ironically the German aircraft were known more for divebombing stuff than for dropping Torpedoes. Yet her DBs are arguably the worst DBs at T8.

0 posts
13 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I am just disappointed with how WG balanced her. The nerf to her TBs was 100% justified, but even these days the TBs are the weapon of choice. Simply because they are fast and hit relatively hard. Instead of bringing the TBs in line and making the other two types attractive, they left the TBs in an above average state while leaving the other two types in an underwhelming one.

Also, ironically the German aircraft were known more for divebombing stuff than for dropping Torpedoes. Yet her DBs are arguably the worst DBs at T8.

I could have lived with either the nerf to alp^ha or the nerf to flood chance of the TBs, but not both.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,079 posts
17,996 battles
6 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I don't think I say anywhere that Enterprise uses HVAR.  :Smile_amazed:

It's in the row header of your aim time chart.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,612 posts
4,602 battles

Great article, Mousie.

Edited by iDuckman

Members
1,707 posts
10,658 battles
14 hours ago, Ayanami_Kai_Ni said:

I can't agree with that in bold.   Tiny Tims from what i seen are hit and miss.  Get a bunch of pens not on modules?  Sure, solid damage.   Hit some modules or miss with the few rockets you fire?  not much.   Fire chance is the bigger difference.    i find with non tiny tims, i get more consistent damage.  You can get 3-7k pretty consistently on DDs.(oddly for DDs, the more they angle, the more damage i tend to do than if they just sailed broadside)   You can get up to 10k on larger stuff.  Lexi HVARs can hit up to 15k in a single pass.(generally you see these numbers hitting other CVs)  It helps that the lexi has 32mm of pen, while others don't.  That gives you extra room what you can hit and damage. 

As for HE DBs vs DDs.  i agree that if you can drop with them, they are better than using rockets.  Though i get the feeling WG will nerf them at some point.  Rockets are fantastic at hitting low health targets so you can save your harder hitting bombs for healthier targets.  Zip in and back out with your high speed. 

[WOLF3]
Members
25,161 posts
22,173 battles
10 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

I can't agree with that in bold.   Tiny Tims from what i seen are hit and miss.  Get a bunch of pens not on modules?  Sure, solid damage.   Hit some modules or miss with the few rockets you fire?  not much.   Fire chance is the bigger difference.    i find with non tiny tims, i get more consistent damage.  You can get 3-7k pretty consistently on DDs.(oddly for DDs, the more they angle, the more damage i tend to do than if they just sailed broadside)   You can get up to 10k on larger stuff.  Lexi HVARs can hit up to 15k in a single pass.(generally you see these numbers hitting other CVs)  It helps that the lexi has 32mm of pen, while others don't.  That gives you extra room what you can hit and damage. 

As for HE DBs vs DDs.  i agree that if you can drop with them, they are better than using rockets.  Though i get the feeling WG will nerf them at some point.  Rockets are fantastic at hitting low health targets so you can save your harder hitting bombs for healthier targets.  Zip in and back out with your high speed. 

With Lexington I've been practicing things in reverse.  I started with Tiny Tims and then the smaller rocket set.  I appreciate the Pen & Fire Chances of the Tiny Tims but even after starting to try the smaller rockets out only yesterday, I was impressed.  The sheer amount of rockets (24!) is great for various target sizes.  Fire them into BB superstructure area and it's great.  But you have to be precise on BBs, otherwise you're getting lots of non-pens on some of those targets out there if you get sloppy.  Tiny Tims you can hit practically anywhere and do damage and hopefully a fire.  More importantly is the mass of fire by 24 rockets into smaller targets gives you more chances of hits and damage.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,785 posts
9,631 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

It's in the row header of your aim time chart.

I am totally derping and not seeing what you're seeing.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,079 posts
17,996 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I am totally derping and not seeing what you're seeing.

aGhEu7L.png