You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

Why the Georgia and not the Tillman IV-2 BB?

81 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
934 posts
17,868 battles

After doing some research about this Tillman BB designs I left wondering why WG didn't pick this as America's "Musashi".  This battleship, with 18" guns would of been ahead of IJN Yamamoto 20 years earlier.  Please feel free to share your thoughts.  I would honestly purchase this one over the anemic Georgia Battleship.  After you have watched the provided video you will agree with me too.  Had Senator B. Tillman Chairman of the Arms Appropriation Committee not died so soon this design would of been built during the 1920's.

Tillman 4-2.jpg

3 Tillman ships.jpg

Tillman comparision.jpg

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
missing text
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 6

[SYN]
Members
27,073 posts
15,653 battles

why the 15 457mm guns at tier 9 and not just 6 457mm guns?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,442 battles

I've looked briefly at the Tillman stuff. People keep asking for them but they dont belong in game at all.

They were completley theoretical ships made before WWII even broke out. Not fitting with anything. It's just a fat dreadnought ship at what would be tier 9. Even if it was feasable, 15 457mm cannons would be completley game breaking, and anything larger would just outclass Yamato, which is a giant step down a very wrong path.

I'm not a fan of Georgia, but it's probably better than some other Iowa class 3x3 A-B-Y sister ship

Members
2,633 posts
4,262 battles
7 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

I would like you to stop and think about why wargaming didnt choose to make a t9 ship with 15 18" guns.

Think about it for a while, actually.

I was trying to think up something clever in response to this but...I couldn't.  The Lyon and her 16 gun salute is bad enough,  and those are 340's.  15 457's would just be a murder brigade.  Its just a scary thought.

[GWG]
Members
6,722 posts
12,789 battles
8 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

I've looked briefly at the Tillman stuff. People keep asking for them but they dont belong in game at all.

They were completley theoretical ships made before WWII even broke out. Not fitting with anything. It's just a fat dreadnought ship at what would be tier 9. Even if it was feasable, 15 457mm cannons would be completley game breaking, and anything larger would just outclass Yamato, which is a giant step down a very wrong path.

I'm not a fan of Georgia, but it's probably better than some other Iowa class 3x3 A-B-Y sister ship

You're going to absolutely LOVE the new Russian Battleship line.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,513 posts
11,214 battles

I dont think it would be possible to even miss with that many 457s even if you gave her 1.5 sigma. The overpens alone would be enough to auto delete any cruiser, let alone dds.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,513 posts
11,214 battles
1 minute ago, AVR_Project said:

You're going to absolutely LOVE the new Russian Battleship line.

WG didn't givr Soviet BBs 15 lol pen machines.

• Funny 1

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

WG could make a modified IV-2 work by swapping the triples for dual gun turrets. It would make the base design much more practical (Seriously, putting 15 18" guns on roughly the same displacement Yamato needs for 9???) and would also balance the design much better at T9. You would have one more gun than Mushashi, but no LOL-pen, and with a more awkward arrangement, reducing the efficiency of bow tanking. I'd still rather have the 8 gun "Super-Standard" that comes with a 6" DP secondary battery, but either of those is a much more interesting ship to me than Georgia.

Interestingly, the IV-2 Tillman isn't even the most insane variation of the Tillman concept. That honor goes to the original Tillman IV, with 24 16" guns in 4 6 gun turrets...

Matt

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,409 posts
10,956 battles
36 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

After doing some research about this Tillman BB designs I left wondering why WG didn't pick this as America's "Musashi".  This battleship, with 18" guns would of been ahead of IJN Yamamoto 20 years earlier.  Please feel free to share your thoughts.  I would honestly purchase this one over the anemic Georgia Battleship.  After you have watched the provided video you will agree with me too.

the answer is simple, 15 18 inch guns at T9 is Op no matter what, i like the Tillman BBs as much as you do, but the difference between us is this, i know the Tillmans will never come to the game and ive made peace with that

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
734 posts
2,066 battles

It was a design study that was intentionally taken to ridiculous extremes. You might as well ask for that pykrete carrier. I am ok with the not-real ship designs being things the countries realistically could/would have made (while being very generous in Russia’s case). 

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
934 posts
17,868 battles
17 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Actually, she was not.  The mandate was that the BB had to pass though the Panama canal. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,409 posts
10,956 battles
1 minute ago, mobryan said:

WG could make a modified IV-2 work by swapping the triples for dual gun turrets.

see, now THIS could work, 10 457s is more balance capable than 15, as its only one more gun than the upcoming Kreml has

[-TNT-]
Members
934 posts
17,868 battles
31 minutes ago, iOSDeveloper said:

another post by a moron, nothing to see here move along people

No need for the name calling, Sir. This is a constructive discussion. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles

designs made by a politician with no clue about seanmanship,lack of sense of ridiculous,lack of self awareness,he didn't know that money and steel don't grown on trees and know well as a simple minded racist.

i mean,what could go wrong?

• Meh 1

[-TNT-]
Members
934 posts
17,868 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

designs made by a politician with no clue about seanmanship,lack of sense of ridiculous,lack of self awareness,he didn't know that money and steel don't grown on trees and know well as a simple minded racist.

Let's keep the name calling out of this discussion, Sir. Thx.

• Meh 1

[-TNT-]
Members
934 posts
17,868 battles
16 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

It was a design study that was intentionally taken to ridiculous extremes. You might as well ask for that pykrete carrier. I am ok with the not-real ship designs being things the countries realistically could/would have made (while being very generous in Russia’s case). 

Sir these blue prints can be found in the Library of Congress.

12 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

see, now THIS could work, 10 457s is more balance capable than 15, as its only one more gun than the upcoming Kreml has

Thank you for replaying to this discussion.

[HINON]
Members
12,851 posts

I'm sure it has nothing to do with balance or actual plans to base it off of . . .

YiPV94O.gif

• Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,409 posts
10,956 battles

if we got ANY of the Tillmans as designed, it would probably be I or III as they had the most reasonable layout of 4x3 AKA Montana's gun layout, II and IV had the 4x6 16" guns, completely insane, and IV-1 and IV-2 had 18" guns, 13 and 15 respectively

Edited by tcbaker777

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
18 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

I'd play THAT carrier.

Also - I want teh Canadian hydrofoil equipped DD, please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Bras_d'Or_(FHE_400)

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,631 posts
10,535 battles
46 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

people need to drop this "and a racist" qualifier when discussing something where race didn't play a part.  His designs may have been bad, but his designs weren't based on race.

• Cool 6

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,102 battles
2 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

people need to drop this "and a racist" qualifier when discussing something where race didn't play a part.  His designs may have been bad, but his designs weren't based on race.

not a qualifier,but tillman was well know for this.gotta say who the man was instead of saying "he was weird".

and to think about it,he made those designs because he was pissed that the USN were always requesting bigger toys each year.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Meh 1

[REVY]
Members
2,068 posts
11,434 battles
1 hour ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Had Senator B. Tillman Chairman of the Arms Appropriation Committee not died so soon this design would of been built during the 1920's.

The Washington and London Navel Treaties would disagree with you.

If any hull had been laid down or progressed enough by the time of the first treaty, it might have become a CV, but never completed as a BB.

[GGWP]
Supertester, Volunteer Moderator
412 posts
4,965 battles

WHY TILLMAN IV-2 and not this totally balanced and sane Max Battleship... 

tillman_1917_max__battleship_by_leovicto

• Cool 1