Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Plaatduutsch

Free Commander Reset Ended Early

28 comments in this topic

[HE]
Members
567 posts
10,813 battles

From my understanding, Usually the weekly reset day is Tuesday, and the announcement clearly stated that the free commander reset is valid from Apr 1 to Apr. 8.

Is there any technical reasons that this compensation ended earlier than expected? There was no in-game timer to show remaining time neither. 

With this news item, we traditionally share all of the information about the current month’s combat missions. This month is going to be eventful, so expect the news to be updated frequently.

Attention! Between April 1 and April 8, you’ll have an opportunity to demount upgrades, reset your Commanders' skills, and retrain your Commanders, free of charge! Be sure to plan your time properly when preparing for Clan Battles.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
198 posts
8,819 battles
6 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

Is there any technical reasons that this compensation ended earlier than expected?

Platt,

It didn't.  The ongoing confusing part of these dates is that it ends during the server reset periods which is at like 4am PST, so whereas it says it goes through the 8th, its like 4am on the 8th.   Don't quote me on the exact times as it isn't a unified time, i.e. daily container resets is a different time than daily mission resets etc.

Abbye

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

The date on every single event means it endsat 6am EDT on the date specified. Effectively this means it ends the night before. Surprised you have this many battles and have not realized this. 

[NKOTD]
Members
877 posts
8,047 battles

So I read in the April news headlines that Captain skill redistribution and ship training will be free from April 1 to April.  Awesome!

I start to take advantage, moving captains around and experimenting with different skills on different ships with the plan to put everybody back in place on the 8th (Today).

Well, I wake up this morning to find it's already done with a couple of captains residing in places I didn't really want them.

So, I figure maybe it's my faulty memory... and then I see the goofy wording that they will no doubt exploit in explanation (in the unlikely event we get one)

Attention! Between April 1 and April 8, you’ll have an opportunity to demount upgrades, reset your Commanders' skills, and retrain your Commanders, free of charge! Be sure to plan your time properly when preparing for Clan Battles.

Between April 1 and April 8.  

Say what?, so I guess that doesn't actually mean April 8th?  I guess that supposed to mean up to April 8th but not including it? 

I've seen insurance policies and used car loans that are less tricky than that.  I guess the lawyers are now in charge of promotions as well.

OR.... somebody please explain what I've missed and how I've been an idiot that doesn't get it.

• Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[WOLFG]
Members
8,599 posts
7,013 battles

When they mention a date of something ending, it is always at the time of the server reset (6AM EDT?), not the end of day.

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
10 minutes ago, Plaatduutsch said:

From my understanding, Usually the weekly reset day is Tuesday, and the announcement clearly stated that the free commander reset is valid from Apr 1 to Apr. 8.

Is there any technical reasons that this compensation ended earlier than expected? There was no in-game timer to show remaining time neither. 

With this news item, we traditionally share all of the information about the current month’s combat missions. This month is going to be eventful, so expect the news to be updated frequently.

2 minutes ago, Abbye said:

Platt,

It didn't.  The ongoing confusing part of these dates is that it ends during the server reset periods which is at like 4am PST, so whereas it says it goes through the 8th, its like 4am on the 8th.   Don't quote me on the exact times as it isn't a unified time, i.e. daily container resets is a different time than daily mission resets etc.

Abbye

This^^^^

Any time WG gives an end date, figure it will be early in the morning that day at the server reset time.

Not to mention...

[NKOTD]
Members
877 posts
8,047 battles

Just saw this topic after I posted one on the same issue.

I've noticed the early morning timing thing in the past, they difference this time is they omitted the actual time that it ends.  This leaves the actual ending time open to interpretation.

The phrase " Attention! Between April 1 and April 8, you’ll have an opportunity to demount upgrades, reset your Commanders' skills, and retrain your Commanders, free of charge! Be sure to plan your time properly when preparing for Clan Battles."   would probably interpreted by most people to mean all of the 8th unless otherwise stated.

I see now that it was probably an omission of error but still leads to fair amount of confusion nonetheless.  I will be very interested to see if they recognize the error and take action.

[WOLFG]
Members
27,119 posts
7,239 battles

It's like the auto withdrawal for my mortgage. It comes out on the 8th every month. 

It doesn't come out at 12AM on the 8th, or 11:59PM. It comes out at 8PM, close of business for the bank. 

[NKOTD]
Members
877 posts
8,047 battles
8 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

When they mention a date of something ending, it is always at the time of the server reset (6AM EDT?), not the end of day.

Usually that is stated.  It was not stated this time.  Leaving actual time open to interpretation.

Maybe regulars would make the correction assumption... I apparently assumed differently.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
18,281 posts
12,732 battles
12 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I've noticed the early morning timing thing in the past, they difference this time is they omitted the actual time that it ends.  This leaves the actual ending time open to interpretation.

The phrase " Attention! Between April 1 and April 8, you’ll have an opportunity to demount upgrades, reset your Commanders' skills, and retrain your Commanders, free of charge! Be sure to plan your time properly when preparing for Clan Battles."   would probably interpreted by most people to mean all of the 8th unless otherwise stated.

I see now that it was probably an omission of error but still leads to fair amount of confusion nonetheless.  I will be very interested to see if they recognize the error and take action.

No they won't, because I put up a PSA on Sunday morning SPECIFICALLY to draw attention to what it really meant. 

• Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
14 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Good luck with that. Start and end dates are almost always at server reset in the morning of that date.

Now you know...

[INTEL]
Members
2,783 posts
15,335 battles
27 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Good luck with that. Start and end dates are almost always at server reset in the morning of that date.

Now you know...

It kinda has to be.  Otherwise they would have to choose an arbitrary time on the evening of the 8th and everyone would have to know that specific time as it translates to their timezone.  The server reset is the server reset and not arbitrary.

The only way they can remove the confusion is just be specific. e.g "This will end on April 8, 4:00AM PDT."  Even then there will be those that don't read the fine print and go by hearsay.

[WOLF9]
Members
290 posts
7,349 battles

During these events I always reset. all of my captains early and just rebuild them if I have a build I really like or need. Makes it cheaper if I xfer their ships with no skills, only points. 

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
2 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

It kinda has to be.  Otherwise they would have to choose an arbitrary time on the evening of the 8th and everyone would have to know that specific time as it translates to their timezone.  The server reset is the server reset and not arbitrary.

The only way they can remove the confusion is just be specific. e.g "This will end on April 8, 4:00AM PDT."  Even then there will be those that don't read the fine print and go by hearsay.

Yep.

...and knowing is half the battle. ;)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,771 posts
22,131 battles

One reason militaries around the world have no problem with time is they use what is called Zulu Time. The entire US Navy can coordinate a specific event because everyone is on the same time even though in different time zones. Zulu time is just GMT and Wargaming should probably start using that to deal with the problems associated with beginning and ending times for events. It isn't hard to figure out, it isn't rocket science and most everyone can figure GMT.

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
51 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

One reason militaries around the world have no problem with time is they use what is called Zulu Time. The entire US Navy can coordinate a specific event because everyone is on the same time even though in different time zones. Zulu time is just GMT and Wargaming should probably start using that to deal with the problems associated with beginning and ending times for events. It isn't hard to figure out, it isn't rocket science and most everyone can figure GMT.

Most non-military have enough trouble with the 24 hour clock. Using either EST or PST is better than GMT as people generally know those from TV and/or business.

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
9 minutes ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Never understood why they don't just use UTC like everyone else.  It would avoid issues like this.

Because most people in the US can figure out EST, CST, MST and PST. The other 20 time zones? Good luck. WG does have a nice, this is your time zone in the articles, so this is all a moot point when the time is listed. BTW, I'm EST.

MAYyDRP.jpg

This was in the 8.3 patch notes and in the April calendar. 

knn7DxU.jpg

Almost all things have been starting and ending at server reset time for years. I guess WG needs to add the time for everything.

Members
597 posts
31 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Because most people in the US can figure out EST, CST, MST and PST. The other 20 time zones? Good luck

Ah yes, I forgot Americans don't understand the rest of the world.  UTC +/- your timzone.   Easy.  No need to know 20 other time zones. 

Good to know about the "in your local time" section though. 

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
2 minutes ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Ah yes, I forgot Americans don't understand the rest of the world.  UTC +/- your timzone.   Easy.  No need to know 20 other time zones. 

Good to know about the "in your local time" section though. 

Most Americans have enough trouble knowing what states are where in the US. Know about the rest of the world? Pssh.

• Cool 1

Members
3,358 posts
12,079 battles
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Most Americans have enough trouble knowing what states are where in the US. Know about the rest of the world? Pssh.

To be fair, there are not many countries with a larger # of subdivisions. Only Russia, I could think of, off the top of my head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_administrative_divisions_by_country

Places like China, many of the provinces are also very descriptive. Wisconsin, Maine, Texas; tell me very little about relation to anything else. Where as some Chinese provinces are directional descriptive names. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[PVE]
Members
19,836 posts
12,005 battles
5 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

To be fair, there are not many countries with a larger # of subdivisions. Only Russia, I could think of, off the top of my head.

Places like China, many of the provinces are also very descriptive. Wisconsin, Maine, Texas; tell me very little about relation to anything else. Where as some Chinese provinces are directional descriptive names. 

Yes, we are a large country, but the weather map is up every night. :Smile_hiding: :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[STW-M]
Members
302 posts
8,753 battles
15 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Wisconsin -- Center the Cheese

Maine - West of the Lobsters

Texas - North of the Great Wall Of America

California East of the Great Ocean   etc.

New York - House that Ruth built

See America IS like China!

Edited by Taramada
  • Funny 1

Sign in to follow this