Sign in to follow this  
Lightninger

Scenario Analysis: Defense of Newport Station (Version 2)

15 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles

With the next operation being Defense of Naval Station Newport next in rotation coming this next Wednesday, here are the analysis videos for this operation. It is definitely considered one of the harder, if not hardest operations to do, especially if you are solo queuing as it is easy to lose stars, and even for things to escalate quickly into a loss when it starts going wrong.

Discussion Analysis

General Replay Analysis

Destroyer Strategy Analysis

The discussion analysis got a lot of views previously but the others not so much for anyone interested in seeing the actual replays and the strategy.

Link back to Directory thread.

Edited by Lightninger
  • Cool 5

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles

Additional replay videos on this post.

First one is a replay sent by @Vader_Sama in the Ranger showcasing playing an aircraft carrier in this operation.

@Rumple010 You said you like to try and accomplish what Vader_Sama manages to do. You might be interested in this.

A second replay sent by Vader_Sama, this time using the Ryujo in this operation

Here is a video of a proactive strategy I created for the Izmail in this operation. What you're able to do and where I am located throughout the operation might be a surprise for some.

A new proactive strategy was developed for the Prinz Eitel Friedrich for Newport and you can see both pikohan and myself are playing it this game.

A new replay from Vader_Sama in the Ryujo for Defense of Newport Station.

No further replays coming for this operation at the moment.

Edited by Lightninger
  • Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles

Giving this a bump as there seems to be some discussion on how to approach this scenario elsewhere.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles
On 4/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, Lightninger said:

First one is a replay sent by @Vader_Sama in the Ranger showcasing playing an aircraft carrier in this operation.

Took  a while to realize this was the same battle as you posted above with  you in the Fushin. Wasn't sure until I saw your torpedo pattern fired at the ships pursuing the Baltimore. Vader is a better CV player than I have seen in the scenarios. (I've seen some pretty useless ones, probably just learning their CV and thinking a scenario would be a better place to learn than coop).

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Took  a while to realize this was the same battle as you posted above with  you in the Fushin. Wasn't sure until I saw your torpedo pattern fired at the ships pursuing the Baltimore. Vader is a better CV player than I have seen in the scenarios. (I've seen some pretty useless ones, probably just learning their CV and thinking a scenario would be a better place to learn than coop).

Actually all three videos are different replays. The one of Vader_Sama just happened to have me in it as well. In that game I think I got something like 86k damage.

Edited by Lightninger

Members
9 posts

1-11, no stars.  this is the most frustrating scenario.  we've never been able to keep the enemy out. No matter what we do, nothing works.   oh well, maybe the next scenario will be challenging, yet have the opportunity for 5 stars.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles
8 minutes ago, Submarines571 said:

1-11, no stars.  this is the most frustrating scenario.  we've never been able to keep the enemy out. No matter what we do, nothing works.   oh well, maybe the next scenario will be challenging, yet have the opportunity for 5 stars.

What ship(s) do you prefer to use for this operation?

[A-D-F]
Members
2,032 posts
7,286 battles
9 hours ago, Lightninger said:

A new replay for the Ryujo now added to second post. @Captain_Slattery I know you are looking for aircraft carrier replays. Vader also left a comment as well.

Ok boss.  Thanks for the heads up.  :)

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles

Added a replay for the Izmail in this operation. Someone was asking for more cruiser and battleship replays but I don't remember who it was.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles

So what is you opinion of taking the smokeless (French) DDs into Newport? I assume it CAN work but would require a very high skill player to pull it off.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles

Well, main issue being I only have the Jaguar right now and having grinded the tokens in Coop, I have some thoughts. I have a possible modified destroyer route in mind but cannot confirm it without actually experimenting with the ship myself. My top choice for destroyers are still Anshan, Fushun, and Gnevy for all the tier 6 operations.

[CVA16]
Members
4,997 posts
14,940 battles
On 8/12/2019 at 1:04 PM, Lightninger said:

My top choice for destroyers are still Anshan, Fushun, and Gnevy for all the tier 6 operations.

Of those I only have the Anshan, and agree it is a better choice than most. Shinonome is only a little behind that as it doesn't have those Ruskie guns, but has more guns which aren't horrible and the 3x3 torps give more flexibility. If WG gets CVs back into OPs, Shino drops way down the list.

I have the French 5, 6 and 7. Not impressed with the first 2. Just got the T7 and it does OK in Coop. The success of the whole line depends heavily on the popularity of CVs.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,434 posts
19,667 battles

Two new replays added to the second post for this Scenario, a Prinz Eitel Friedrich replay from myself and a new Ryujo replay from Vader_Sama

[WOLFC]
Members
146 posts
12,667 battles

I think I already watched your PEF replay but I took a look at the Ryujo one just now.

Honestly, I must have internalized a lot of Vader_Sama's tactics because it reminded me of my own solo queue experiences in Newport.

Some differences I noticed:

• Vader switches to new waves sooner than I would. You note that he trusts his team will dispatch the remaining ships of a wave but I find it difficult to have that trust in solo queues. That first wave was still pretty healthy when he went to meet wave 2. It worked out in this case.
  • He's also a lot more fluid in target sequencing to take advantage of slingshot positioning and minimum time within the AA bubbles. I try to do this but I'm probably too target fixated the majority of the time. Something to work on.
  • I always target the DDs first to make them turn and slow down, then the same with the fastest cruisers. While you can't shepherd every team past the tripwire mechanics in this Op, I find this tactic really helps the majority get enough salvos in before the enemy ships cross the harbor boundary.
  • Because of the previous point, I use bombers less because it does not slow down or turn the ships. When I do use them it's to replenish the torpedo planes and I do get cits with them (and some overpens as happens in this video).

Good job on the commentary and cheers to Vader on skilled and efficient play.

Also, nice seeing you guys in Raptor tonight. It's always fun watching you guys harvest an Op like that—quite a change from the typical "scenario of the week" team.

Sign in to follow this