You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Indiox

Space assault mode

34 comments in this topic

[-BN-]
Members
238 posts
11,006 battles

Gotta say positive feedback should be giving when earned. 10/10 to wg on this one. I played 5 games solo and 10 games with a clan mate in the kurfurst and i have not have that much fun in a long while. The mode of course has it flaws here in there. Defending is harder than attacking and you will get 1/10 games that are a joke but the other 9/10 are amazing.

I don't know how others have been enjoying or not this game mode but feel free to live your impressions and lets hope the next one with the super fast torpedoes is as fun.

:cap_like:

• Cool 5

[A_51]
Members
961 posts

Interesting.  My experience is the opposite - defenders seem to have a big advantage.  Of course, things may become more balanced as people come to understand this mode better.

• Cool 3

[A-CUP]
Members
1,023 posts
8,232 battles

They should limit the times ship respawn. Say only up to 2 times per ship

WG fked up this years sapce battle.. Last year was way more better then the Trash that we got know..

Edited by Poisonous_Lily
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[A-I-M]
Beta Testers
44 posts
9,147 battles

yea, honestly would love to see what attacking forces you've been able to play with, my games so far as attacker have all be very painful and underwhelming experiences where as defender it's been almost pigeon shooting as they come through the creases. 

• Cool 1

[TXC]
Beta Testers
81 posts
7,484 battles

i was 0/4 this morning with avg 250 k per game in the bb's before i quit in frustration and went and shovelled the foot of snow the fell last night...  not a fun way to start a monday morning...

[-BN-]
Members
238 posts
11,006 battles

Not the responses i was expecting. Maybe i am a fringe case on this one. I found single aggression and div aggression gets massive benefits in this mode and i found no problems carrying while having tons of fun. the only game i lost was when 3 team mates died defending 3 mins in :Smile_facepalm:. Which is why i found defending harder since expecting your team mates not to die is way too much defending.

To all those having trouble be very aggressive on attack and specially aggressive when defending after the first push since they will re spawn at different times which can be exploited. When defending know when is worth dying too. On one of the games i was holding south and my div mate north and we both died holding those gens so we coud win 10 seconds later on time. All games were fun though and we had a blast. Even solo i had tons of fun, so good luck out there :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

Members
2 posts
879 battles

Good mix of both games here, so here's some of what I've found as a solo player (and a new player at that):

Attacking:

Your consumables don't regen with your ship, so plan accordingly.  If your team is getting ripped apart, prepare for a defending BB or two to come around and camp your spawn.  This is a very valid strategy as on regen there's no torpedoes to worry about and with the constant heal, you can take out quite a few ships and eat a bunch of time.  Try to coordinate your fire with other ships as the HP regen of the defenders means you can't really solo another ship that well anymore, even if they have less health than you.

Defending:

HP regen is amazingly useful and can be abused early on to whittle down attacking numbers so that due to the respawn mechanic, respawned ships will resemble a lemming train.  If you can keep them from amassing a group, you pretty much win.  Losing a generator or two isn't an issue with the inner ring of islands, and actually lets you get free shots on more unaware players who come around to try and kill a now dead generator.

I kinda have to place a bit of an advantage on the defending side at the moment.  It really comes down to the initial clash for the late game - the more ships the defenders lose, the easier the attacking side has it.

• Cool 1

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Love this mode. I'm not sure if there's a bias towards attackers or defenders - definitely losing defenders can snowball hard is attackers are amassed, though

But I love it anyways. I haven't used my Minotaur in random battles for ages, but here she is great for holding down chokes.

39wDecc.png

(Also that achievement is maybe broken...)

[FORGV]
Members
25 posts
16,211 battles

I can't stand this years space game.  Appears to be more of a cross between the Halloween game and a sci-fi game.  I prefer last year's game which had more of a Star Wars theme.  If I were to rate it, it's worse than playing the Ocean map or Epicenter. It's both boring and annoying.

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
171 posts
7,575 battles

I didn't think I'd like this game mode but its pretty fun! The respawns and health regeneration makes fragile ships more fun and dangerous!

Edited by ZER01025

[REVY]
Members
2,057 posts
11,402 battles

The problem is that not all players realize that they can respawn, and play as normal.

I watched in irritation as a GK hid behind an island and refused to engage the low health defenders.

No torpedo boats present, no cruisers, just a couple of Paris that the cruisers had to engage. Ended up losing on time because after respawning we were too far away to get back in range of the base.GK was still hiding behind the island.

[1-]
Beta Testers
83 posts
7,596 battles

Liking this mode, however already did have one  person figure out as attack he could camp the spawn in a destroyer was quite the surprise being under attack immediately

Members
673 posts

I've only played two matches in the new mode so far - both as a defender - and have found it to be far less fun than the previous mode (i.e. Space Random). If you have the range and HP to sit back and pick off ships coming through the choke points it may be more worthwhile, but as a DD main it is incredibly difficult to stay alive until the end game.

Members
7 posts
6,097 battles

By far the absolute worst game mode they have ever implemented. So as an attacker, you have to hope your team doesnt lemming because every loss is permanent but as an attacker, you have to hope your team lemmings because if they just sit there, then the timer runs out. This encourages the worst two types of game styles that are so prevailing in this game: suicide rushers and campers.

I've played this a couple of times and if you start to lose, there's no coming back...especially since people seem to not understand that you can respawn but the respawn mechanic is dumb when you have a ship that has to spend a minute just trying to get back to where he or she was. A BIG downvote from me and a serious blow to the space game, which was ridiculously fun last year.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[GRETA]
Members
3 posts
10,049 battles

Have done 6 battles and the defenders have won every one. The buffs just become too much to overcome late in the game since it's next to impossible to focus fire enough to kill targets between all the cover, the attackers trickling in from their respawn point, and the defenders shooting like autocannons.

[SYN]
Members
15,685 posts
12,778 battles

Defending is a lot easier, IMO

WoWs doesn't really have anything that does overwhelming alpha to cut down defenses... well except for T8/10 CVs, but this mode doesn't have that

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors
939 posts
11,732 battles

WG have done well with this mode and deployment.

Early days of the release had the defenders having a hard time, now though the tables have turned and a competent defence team that bides their time and damage mitigation will defeat the attackers.

Either side is fun to play though.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,736 posts
8,685 battles
On 4/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, Indiox said:

Gotta say positive feedback should be giving when earned. 10/10 to wg on this one. I played 5 games solo and 10 games with a clan mate in the kurfurst and i have not have that much fun in a long while. The mode of course has it flaws here in there. Defending is harder than attacking and you will get 1/10 games that are a joke but the other 9/10 are amazing.

I don't know how others have been enjoying or not this game mode but feel free to live your impressions and lets hope the next one with the super fast torpedoes is as fun.

Wholeheartedly agree. Most April Fools WoWS things are good only because of their novelty and silliness, but this here actually is balanced and fun enough to be a part of the regular game. Kudos to Lesta.

As for defending/attacking, I think a lot of it depends on the attacking team's coordination. If they quickly deathball up a flank, kill some defenders, take down a couple of generators, and then respawn for round two, they will have an advantage. If they just sort of trickle in peace-meal, then defenders will likely win.

• Cool 1

[-BN-]
Members
238 posts
11,006 battles
1 minute ago, vak_ said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Most April Fools WoWS things are good only because of their novelty and silliness, but this here actually is balanced and fun enough to be a part of the regular game. Kudos to Lesta.

As for defending/attacking, I think a lot of it depends on the attacker team's coordination. If they quickly deathball up a flank, attackers will have an advantage. If they just sort of trickle in peace-meal, then defenders will likely win.

Funny you said that because this was the reaction most of my clan mates and me had. I really hope they end up adding this mode to the general game, because is on of the few were you can have fast and fun action at closer ranges. We been playing it all day saw some o7s and edgecase there too so i am glad we are not the only ones that liked it.

[-K-]
6,736 posts
8,685 battles

Oh, and to brag just a tiny bit :) Has anyone else gotten the Annihilator achievement? I wonder how rare it is -- you need to destroy at least two out of four generators, and then also destroy the station itself.

vJPNKnv.jpg

And another fun game to note. I was the last surviving defending team member in a GK, managed to hold off against five enemies rushing our last generator (killing three of them in the process), and got killed literally two seconds after the time ran out :) Note that my entire team is dead, yet our XP indicates victory.

ZJOjhrt.jpg

I never liked that in WoWS the game ends the moment time runs out or you cap the main objective, it should be like WoT, where you get five or so seconds for some last actions and GG's. Hopefully this makes it into the regular game as well.

• Cool 1

[-BN-]
Members
238 posts
11,006 battles

Spoiler
13 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Oh, and to brag just a tiny bit :) Has anyone else gotten the Annihilator achievement? I wonder how rare it is -- you need to destroy at least two out of four generators, and then also destroy the station itself.

vJPNKnv.jpg

And another fun game to note. I was the last surviving team member in a GK, managed to hold off against five enemy team members rushing our last generator (killing three of them in the process), and got killed literally two seconds after the time ran out :) Note that my entire team is dead, yet our XP indicates victory.

ZJOjhrt.jpg

Did not even know that achievement was a thing, i am gonna go hunt it down with  a DD. I have master the art of being a Guardian of the Galaxy though. Gotten that one quite a few times. Also we are doing our own achievement to see who can get the most damage. We are up to 422k.

[-K-]
6,736 posts
8,685 battles
2 minutes ago, Indiox said:

We are up to 422k.

Dang, impressive. I haven't had more than 300k or so.

What ship was that in? I tend to stick to GK and Z-52 in space assault.

[BUOY]
Members
806 posts
12,985 battles
29 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Oh, and to brag just a tiny bit :) Has anyone else gotten the Annihilator achievement? I wonder how rare it is -- you need to destroy at least two out of four generators, and then also destroy the station itself.

Just achieved it myself, you really need so many things to go right to get it, in my case it was through being on the defenders weak side, having single launch torpedoes and two great random teammates who allowed me to get into a perfect position three times.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,441 posts

Things to remember for this game mode: every ship carries at least one torpedo, with the biggest torp belonging to the alldestroyer.