Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dawggunner

2nd Try - I Would Kill for a Etna class CL.... maybe

5 comments in this topic

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

gettyimages-530025753-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.e01a7f26693728d6de5105ec766b8a23.jpgProposed Etna-class light cruiser a paper ship with two options(early)

So the history is short and kinda sad. Two of these ships were ordered in 1938 by the Thai Gov't for their Navy. The initial design called for a 5500t light cruiser armed 6(2x3) 152mm guns, 6?(3x2) 533mm torpedoes, mixed 20mm/37mm AA, and provisions for a plane. They were slower than their Italian predecessors though ~30kts, despite extremely light armor similar to the original Guissano class. They essentially were diminutive Condottieri-class cruisers with one less gun(think huanghe compared to Leander). Except when the war started Italy decided to hold on to the hulls and make them fast transport cruisers with strong AA to make the runs to Africa. They actually redesigned them with cargo holds. These would have 6(2x3) 135mm guns, 10x new 65mm AA guns and 10x 20mm guns, but no torpedoes or plane. However not much happened to the hulls; other than being sabotaged, then seized by the Germans and then scuttled. Keep in mind this is a paper ship and therefore not a priority to me but i would be cool.

So here's the first question: early or late, or both? there are currently 3 premium DDs that have interchangeable weapons. hulls are a different issue clearly. so lets look at each one. The early setup i like because it would be very reminiscent of the other italian cruisers, minus the speed advantage. BUT it would have to be under a Thai flag if were honest(Pan Asian?), because what the Italians needed the hulls for was very different. The second one is interesting because its a pure gunboat, although that is not its calling. with 6x135mm firepower is not impressive, and there are no back ups. the guns are not DP and thus AA would be limited to mid and close range. DFC for an CLAA seems fair. maybe a hydro? Either way the ship is pretty underpowered. and maybe thats ok. so like other underpowered CLs give it a small detection range, 10.5km? 

it_cr_56.gif.f9a89fd75df171330064e37a40cd6f85.gifProposed Etna class(late?)

This is a start tonight but i guarantee i'll edit it again soon 

• Cool 3

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles
21 hours ago, Sparviero said:

The final refit called for the 135mm to be AA installations. Based off the Montecuccoli subclass. As in Phoenix’s thread expect 2500 ap/2000 hp 7% burn for base stats.

I found something that said the assisted rammer didnt work above 30º and thus had to be hand loaded which gave them significantly reduced rate of fire and virtually useless as AA guns. yes, there are citations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/135_mm/45_Italian_naval_gun#cite_note-2

[UFFA]
Members
1,648 posts
72 battles

The newer mounts, single and dual, presumably would have had reworked rammers. Indeed since there appears to have been a full case AA shell for the 120mm developed I would dare say the same may have been possible for the 135mm.

It’s something little is known about or at least a few years ago it was. Most of the new information presented revolves around Ansaldo and these rifles were designed by OTO although built by both. If it was solely meant for torpedo bomber defense and barrage fire the elevation level won’t be that great. The turret fitted on Cavour appeared to be limited to 45° Per the conversation I linked although it is old. Large caliber naval AA didn’t achieve meaningful efficiency until basically 1945 when radar and proximity fuses allowed for the required efficiency. 

Of course when these ships were being fitted out was also around the time the USAAF was showing up with large amounts of level bombers so there may have been further rework for Etna and Vesuvius. I’d love to be corrected however for game purposes it should not be an issue.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this