You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dawggunner

I Would Kill for a Capitani Romani class CL

13 comments in this topic

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

RN_Attilio_Regolo_-_foto_ufficiale.jpg.2a11e349cf0f4c114386d14a2fe52493.jpgAttilo Regolo 8x135mm, 8x37mm, 8(4x2) 533mm Torpedoes

As the Condottieri-class cruisers grew larger, heavier, and slower Italian designers decided a new ship closer to the size of the Contre-Torpilleur they wanted to counter was needed. Meet the Capitani Romanis. Designed to walk a fine line between Destroyer and Cruiser it barely makes the cut into the latter category. They were in fact called "esploratori oceanici" class cruisers originally...whatever that is

And yes its exactly what you think it is: a miniaturized Duca D'aosta.  Loaded with 8x135mm  guns in 4 twin turrets it'll put out the same volume as its bigger brothers, but less impact. It also has the same torpedoes that I do so enjoy in twin quadruple launchers, one per side. AA is actually debatable. I have one source that says only 8x37mm guns and another that says another 8x20mm as well. Either way its not bad but with range around 3.5km. There are no secondary batteries. The strength is in maneuverability like all Italian cruisers. A top speed of ~40kts and a responsive rudder will make this ship really toe the line between CL and DD. I propose a surface detection range around 10.0km and air detection around 5.5km or so. Now I argue a ship like this belongs at Tier 5 because with Duca reload speeds ~8rpm it wont be OP especially with its caliber and a suitably small health pool ~22500hp.  Consumables? well i like shooting down planes so id argue DFC like the other italians. maybe hydro? it is anti-DD after all. and thats it. don't overload this one.

I know the Italians are a Premium tech tree at the moment but i'd love to see this in the armory one day!

Fun Fact: Only one, Scipione Africano ever saw action, and only against motor torpedo boats. However using speed and radar it sunk one and severely damaged another IN JUST THREE MINUTES!!! 90 seconds per target in the real world is nuts. that being said they did track them a while before engaging them. And the Italian ship was then slightly damaged by fire from friendly batteries on shore. but thats badass.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,493 posts
15,488 battles

Up tier it to 8.

6.3 reload.

8 km det.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,634 posts
7,637 battles

I actually would propose to make her a new T9 Free XP DD. Since we haven‘t gotten one yet, and T9 would fit her more or less.

[UFFA]
Members
1,654 posts
72 battles

no way the light cruiser variation clocks in above tier V. The 135/45 was a very conservative design. 

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

I think she'd fit better as a DD than a CL.  The Duca already has a problem with damage output, and cutting the gun caliber would only make that worse.  Giving this the concealment, smoke, and citadel-less existence of a DD might make up the difference.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,654 posts
72 battles

Whatever appears as a TIX or TX destroyer will probably not bear much resemblance to the ship as fitted out. So as Phoenix shows in his thread it is viable. Either as a mid tier isola hugging shoot and scoot threat with area of denial sea mines to secure flanks Or WASD spamming from range.  

Admittedly it has competition as a low tier premium with Etna and the CRDA cruiser project that became Tre Kronor. Plus many other projects that I have no knowledge of at this time. As well as some studied conversions. However WG loves reusable assets. So a tech tree destroyer and French and Italian premiums are probably a given. 

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

So i started off replying to everyone this morning by quoting them and picking apart what you all said. BUT then i stopped and thought about it: the ships that this was designed to fight at going to be T8 and T9 in the game. so that really throws things off. So, and i am agreeing with some of you here, i could see it as a T7/8 DD with RADAR and NO smoke, like the French line coming out. its a gunfighter. the reason i push for it as a mid tier cruiser is the Ducas are my favorite ships in the game and i know this thing was essentially a baby Duca. that and as much as i love high tier gameplay its not where i go to "relax". That being said let me get into replying.

7 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Up tier it to 8.

6.3 reload.

8 km det.

yeah, i could see this. but i think it might need radar.

6 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

I actually would propose to make her a new T9 Free XP DD. Since we haven‘t gotten one yet, and T9 would fit her more or less.

This idea scares me but i can't say its not a good idea. yes, it was designed to be superior to the T9 Mogador, but like i said im just not dying to get this thing if its gonna be a high tier ship. on the other hand maybe itll be so fun i won't mind.

6 hours ago, Sparviero said:

no way the light cruiser variation clocks in above tier V. The 135/45 was a very conservative design.

strongly agree, as a cruiser its pretty anemic and definitely would not be equal to the D'aosta at T6, so keep it lower than that as a cruiser.

6 hours ago, DerKrampus said:

I think she'd fit better as a DD than a CL.  The Duca already has a problem with damage output, and cutting the gun caliber would only make that worse.  Giving this the concealment, smoke, and citadel-less existence of a DD might make up the difference.

addressing your duca comment here: low damage figures? have you tried using torpedoes? or IFHE? i have no problems dealing damage in either italian cruiser AT ALL. i think they are crazy fun and GOOD. I have no fear being bottom tier in either ship, i enjoy it. but that is my opinion and therefore wrong.

4 hours ago, Sparviero said:

Admittedly it has competition as a low tier premium with Etna and the CRDA cruiser project that became Tre Kronor. Plus many other projects that I have no knowledge of at this time. As well as some studied conversions. However WG loves reusable assets. So a tech tree destroyer and French and Italian premiums are probably a given. 

YESSS. if were gonna make the Romanis DDs then yes i want an Etna class AA cruiser in the game at T5. In fact i'll try to make a nice post about the class later tonight!

Edited by dawggunner

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,249 posts
3,984 battles

A slightly bigger and somewhat better protected destroyer leader, much like  Yubari.  The US equivalent would be the Somers / Porter class destroyer leaders

Pxyz7kG.jpg

The larger French destroyers also come close to matching it.

The Capitani is one of those ship classes that blurs what a destroyer and a cruiser are.  It's really too small and light to be an effective cruiser (same as Yubari), but as a destroyer it'd be a very powerful one.

• Cool 1

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles
10 hours ago, Murotsu said:

The Capitani is one of those ship classes that blurs what a destroyer and a cruiser are.  It's really too small and light to be an effective cruiser (same as Yubari), but as a destroyer it'd be a very powerful one.

See the problem is that example doesnt work great FOR ME. Yes, Yubari is a total underdog BUT ive played it since beta and I can run circles around any T4 and most T5 ships. I've engaged Texas's from max range to torpedo range and killed them, all the while dodging like weak [edited]ship that it is. I don't diasgree that its pretty much a DD, but a good player makes that little bastard a real mass murderer. and thats is what i love! I love the Underdog light cruisers!!!! atlanta, yubari, ducas, huanghe, and hopefully yahagi!!! these things suck according to many sources but in the right hands and right situations i have carried my team time and time again. i like a challenge, a unique one, a premium one. a ship that i will play for years and rake in the benefits that come with a premium ship. 

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,249 posts
3,984 battles
8 minutes ago, dawggunner said:

See the problem is that example doesnt work great FOR ME. Yes, Yubari is a total underdog BUT ive played it since beta and I can run circles around any T4 and most T5 ships. I've engaged Texas's from max range to torpedo range and killed them, all the while dodging like weak [edited]ship that it is. I don't diasgree that its pretty much a DD, but a good player makes that little bastard a real mass murderer. and thats is what i love! I love the Underdog light cruisers!!!! atlanta, yubari, ducas, huanghe, and hopefully yahagi!!! these things suck according to many sources but in the right hands and right situations i have carried my team time and time again. i like a challenge, a unique one, a premium one. a ship that i will play for years and rake in the benefits that come with a premium ship. 

I have a Yubari too, but I'm more ambivalent about using it.  All I was pointing out is that the small cruisers we're discussing here are more in line with being sort of super destroyers than cruisers.  So long as you recognize that, they can be played quite well.  They can act as destroyers or they can take on some cruisers as cruisers.

But, they're still really a niche type rather than a more general purpose ship.  Again, so long as you recognize their strengths and weaknesses they can be played successfully.

• Cool 1

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

I FOUND A REASON FOR IT TO BE A CRUISER!!! TONNAGE!!! The Gearing tops out at 3500t combat load. the Mogadors are 4000t. Khaba is 3500t. Where as this ship was combat rated at 5,500t so BOOM! Cruiser.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,249 posts
3,984 battles

It's interesting that two survivors served in the Italian Navy post WW 2 and were reequipped with US weapons and sensors.  The post war outfit was 3 twin 5"/38 turrets several twin and quad 40mm Bofors mounts, along with typical US Navy radars and sonar.  This made them the equivalent of a Gearing class Destroyer in terms of weapons and sensors.  The Italians also reclassified them as "flotilla leaders."  That is, as destroyer leaders.

• Cool 2