Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

Novice CV player who needs guidance on CV skills

16 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
788 posts
13,298 battles

I decided to throw in and start using CVs. The CV, HMS Audacious will be my FIRST British tier 10 from that nation.  The below attachment is what skills I picked along with the yellow circled skill for my 19th point. 

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Brit CV Capt.jpg

[WOLF8]
Members
5,377 posts
5,143 battles

Looks good to me. I see nothing wrong. LOL. :Smile_teethhappy:

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
282 posts
5,483 battles

Looks good except you should probably take Torp acceleration earlier since your torps are pretty slow. I run the same build and put off SE until my 19th point arrives just because Audacious planes are already pretty stout.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles

I would say taking "Survival Expert" (350 hp per tier) is never a good choice.  If you think about it, that's a max of 3500 hp at tier 10.  Most cruisers and certainly any battleship that hits you say twice or three times in a salvo will do that much damage or more.  Even a destroyer can rack up 3500 hp on you in a few seconds.  So, basically the extra hp really don't buy you much of anything.  At least, that's my view on it.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,340 posts
3,227 battles
6 hours ago, Murotsu said:

I would say taking "Survival Expert" (350 hp per tier) is never a good choice.  If you think about it, that's a max of 3500 hp at tier 10.  Most cruisers and certainly any battleship that hits you say twice or three times in a salvo will do that much damage or more.  Even a destroyer can rack up 3500 hp on you in a few seconds.  So, basically the extra hp really don't buy you much of anything.  At least, that's my view on it.

CVs don't take it for the CV, they take it for the +15hp/Tier that the planes get.  Making your planes more survivable is very important to help avoid being deplaned.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

CVs don't take it for the CV, they take it for the +15hp/Tier that the planes get.  Making your planes more survivable is very important to help avoid being deplaned.

Same problem.  15 hp per tier is nothing.  Take Ranger's planes.  That's 105 hp added to planes that have 1000 to 1300 (in round numbers) hp already.  Given that AA fire from most ships is in the neighborhood of 500 to 900 hp a second, it really doesn't add anything.  Since you also now have an unlimited supply of planes, it really makes no difference.  Instead go for added speed and attack ability with the planes like engine boost or higher torpedo speed.

These decrease the time you have to spend in the AA fire zone.  

Now, with the old carrier system, I'd say that it might make a difference since you had limited planes and couldn't afford to lose them.  But, with this system it's more important that some, even if not all, survive since even a few survivors make a full attack and you get all the planes back the next time you launch.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,340 posts
3,227 battles
Just now, Murotsu said:

Same problem.  15 hp per tier is nothing.  Take Ranger's planes.  That's 105 hp added to planes that have 1000 to 1300 (in round numbers) hp already.  Given that AA fire from most ships is in the neighborhood of 500 to 900 hp a second, it really doesn't add anything.  Since you also now have an unlimited supply of planes, it really makes no difference.  Instead go for added speed and attack ability with the planes like engine boost or higher torpedo speed.

These decrease the time you have to spend in the AA fire zone.  

Now, with the old carrier system, I'd say that it might make a difference since you had limited planes and couldn't afford to lose them.  But, with this system it's more important that some, even if not all, survive since even a few survivors make a full attack and you get all the planes back the next time you launch.

150hp is still a ~10% increase in hit points.  That isn't nothing.  And you can't assume all ships have 500-900 DPS, many do not. 

And it isn't like there is a lot of other good places to spend the points.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles
10 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

150hp is still a ~10% increase in hit points.  That isn't nothing.  And you can't assume all ships have 500-900 DPS, many do not. 

And it isn't like there is a lot of other good places to spend the points.

I gave a tier 7 example simply because I don't have the tier 10 carriers nor with the new system do I want the hassle of getting them.  The 15 hp per tier works out closer to about 6 to 7% increase, but that is only half the equation.  The other half is the air defense of various ships.  As the tier goes up, ship AA goes up almost exponentially.  That, in turn means, that the small hp increase becomes less and less effective as the tier it is in rises.  This is particularly true if the ship under attack has the AA buff and is using high alert.

The resulting difference is you get an arithmetic, linear increase in hp bonus while the defending ship gets an exponential increase in AA defense.  Worse, since carriers now only appear at certain tiers, they're frequently in games where they face higher tier ships than themselves.  This just adds to the problem.

In this case, offense is a better choice than defense.

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,478 battles

I usually don’t go for torp acceleration, with the British, you can practically drop at point blank range.  Just adjust your aim a tad. With the British I don’t feel the torp acceleration is worth the penalty to arming and range, which is already pretty bad.  I can usually land one or both torpedos in an attack run.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles

Interesting discussion.

I also have the feeling Demolition Expert isn't worth it.

Take Implacable for example:

You get  a pathetic 1 per cent bonus to a poor 10 per cent fire chance for rockets

And a meh 5 per cent bonus to a meh 29 per cent figure for bombs

Speed bonuses are also low figures applied to a low base. Even when combined, you don't get any 'sense' of improvement.

As are the HP bonuses of Survival Expert

The only skills that actually seem to make a difference, to me, are:

Priority target (tells me when my squadrons are in a heavy cross fire)

Air Supremacy (5 per cent off restoration time adds up over the course of a game - especially for RN carriers)

Direction Centre (Every enemy aircrft you take down weakens an attack, which soaks up enemy sortie time = mission kill)

Aircraft Armor (A 10 per cent bonus to the RN's already large hit point pool)

Sight Stabilisation (you need to make snap drops quite often)

Concealment (reduces the time you are exposed to AA, sometimes ...)

That's it. 

The rest all seem future: May as well sink the points into Ship AA and survivability.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,901 posts
5,750 battles

I don't think I'd take torp acceleration honestly. I'd have to double-check, but aside from not increasing speed by very much on those slow torps apparently it also increases arming distance required when you drop, so you have to drop further back and your target basically gets the same reaction time they already have.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
Members
256 posts
10,051 battles

I was undecided / indifferent about Torpedo Acceleration on Furious. Until I was forced to make rapid drops on a Fiji, under less then ideal conditions and missing all of them.

Without TA attacks against maneuvering  CL/CA or a fast BBs are only possible form the frontal arc (10 to 2 o'clock) and even then there is a potential for not leading enough, or misjudging target's maneuvers.

With TA it is possible to conduct attacks against such targets form almost any direction other then dead 6 o'clock.

If i had to recommend a basic RN CV build it would look like this: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=10,24,25,29,32&ship=AirCarrier

Still undecided about TA on USN CVs, since they are not pigeon-holed to torpedoes only.

Members
162 posts
14,975 battles
On 4/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, Kestrel_Falcon said:

I decided to throw in and start using CVs. The CV, HMS Audacious will be my FIRST British tier 10 from that nation.  The below attachment is what skills I picked along with the yellow circled skill for my 19th point. 

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Brit CV Capt.jpg

That build is the best all around build for the RN tree. 

You could argue to drop squadron speed for Adrenaline rush though since itll have a bigger impact due to your health pool size on your squadrons. (They speed up as you take damage.. and it helps your carrier if you get in deep trouble) 

However squadron speed increase is just fine. 

You definitely want torp acceleration due to slow moving torpedoes. Demolition expert is a must for RN too. 

Sight stabilization is also great... its the only nation, other than IJN, that I recommend using it. The reason being is that you have low plane count, and your slow, so you need to make every shot count. It also allows you to maneuver your planes during an attack run and won't screw up your drop pattern as bad as if you didn't take it.    

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
788 posts
13,298 battles
On 4/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, JustAdapt said:

This is my Awfuldacious build

7bdc67039e32e34f64f567514d2472d5.png

I read in the forum of a player who didn't use Sight Stabilization skill. 

Sign in to follow this