Joe_Grin

What premium British Battleship should I buy?

15 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
384 battles

So with Jingles set to be released as a unique captain in the near future, I want to find a ship to serve as a home for the gnome. As I am mainly a battleship player and I feel Jingles would rather be in a BB rather than a carrier, I want to pick one of the British premium BB's. The problem is there are several to choose from and I have heard mixed things between all of them. While I have heard more good things about Warspite and Hood I am open to any suggestions. Keep in mind that Nelson is not one of the ships I can get because I don't have the free XP to get her :( 

So with all that in mind, which of the premium British BB's that are available on the premium shop should I pick to serve as the flagship for the Rear Admiral?

[O_O]
Members
4,949 posts
10,877 battles

Pity, as Nelson would be my top recommendation.  My second pick currently would be the venerable Warspite.

However, I will also suggest this...once you get the Jingles captain, I would recommend training him for a tech tree British battleship.  You can still use him in whichever premium battleship you choose.  This way, you can use him twice as much and level him up faster.

[-K-]
Members
5,889 posts
10,020 battles

If Jingles doesn't get a unique commander perk for PADDLINS dev strikes, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Members
2 posts
384 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Which BBs do you already enjoy playing?

I mostly use Massa and Scharnhorst but I'm also going down the IJN and German tree so while I enjoy hitting citadels and penetrations at range I also love getting into brawls. I try to generally play in a way that helps the team while also being fun emphasis on try.

[HINON]
Members
10,337 posts
46 minutes ago, Joe_Grin said:

I mostly use Massa and Scharnhorst but I'm also going down the IJN and German tree so while I enjoy hitting citadels and penetrations at range I also love getting into brawls. I try to generally play in a way that helps the team while also being fun emphasis on try.

Hmm I would say the Warspite fits that more closely than the other ones.  Her accuracy is superb with guns that have a nice punch. Her heal lets her stay in the fight and the secondaries are decent.  Lastly, she has a very tight turning circle for brawls and torp beats.

• Cool 1

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,567 battles
On 4/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, Joe_Grin said:

I know that the Warspite can one-shot the Scharnhorst from about 75%-80% health, and she has a decent set of secondaries, and with her heal, she can do well in brawls.

The Nelson's guns are fantastic, though her nose invites citadels if you don't angle properly.

The Hood is very decent, fast, with good accuracy on her guns.

I'd go with the Warspite, pretty sure Jingles would approve, he loves the Grand Old Lady.

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles

I would NOT recommend getting Vanguard.  The ship handles decently BUT the guns are erratic and don't do much damage for their tier and has been a frustrating experience since it was claimed she has a high sigma and was supposedly a highly accurate guns, this has not been my experience.  The Hood is better at T7, especially after her recent buff, she plays more like she used to;  and Warspite if you can pick it up is even better, a slow but hard hitting T6 that's fun to play.  I do actually like the Duke of York and do quite well with it even though some say it's garbage, I do much better in it than the KGV personally.  Nelson is very fun and does well, just fragile on the sides and is slow but it's a FreeXP ship.

Pete

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,572 posts
9,625 battles

Just not Duke of York...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,129 posts
16,481 battles
On 4/15/2019 at 7:47 AM, sasquatch_research said:

I would NOT recommend getting Vanguard.  The ship handles decently BUT the guns are erratic and don't do much damage for their tier and has been a frustrating experience since it was claimed she has a high sigma and was supposedly a highly accurate guns, this has not been my experience.  The Hood is better at T7, especially after her recent buff, she plays more like she used to;  and Warspite if you can pick it up is even better, a slow but hard hitting T6 that's fun to play.  I do actually like the Duke of York and do quite well with it even though some say it's garbage, I do much better in it than the KGV personally.  Nelson is very fun and does well, just fragile on the sides and is slow but it's a FreeXP ship.

Pete

Vanguard has 2.0 Sigma but I know that's not enough even before she was released.  Not for 8 rifles.  Because I already own a Battleship with 8 guns and 2.0 Sigma and I don't like it.

Conqueror in 457mm configuration.

It's funny though when you think about it.  Warspite in Tier VI is a 2.0 Sigma, 8 rifle BB but well beloved because of her accuracy.  I remember seeing Warspite users have no problems picking off Molotovs and Budyonnys trying to plink away at long range in Tier VI Ranked.

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Vanguard has 2.0 Sigma but I know that's not enough even before she was released.  Not for 8 rifles.  Because I already own a Battleship with 8 guns and 2.0 Sigma and I don't like it.

Conqueror in 457mm configuration.

It's funny though when you think about it.  Warspite in Tier VI is a 2.0 Sigma, 8 rifle BB but well beloved because of her accuracy.  I remember seeing Warspite users have no problems picking off Molotovs and Budyonnys trying to plink away at long range in Tier VI Ranked.

Hey

They say it has 2.0 but the guns sure don't feel like it nor perform like it.  I recently engaged a cruiser at my 2 o'clock position at about 4.5 km and fired all guns and not one shell hit, he had a slight angle but he was very low health and I was trying to kill him.  That was very frustrating and it's not the first time this has happened, even on broadside targets.  The boat handles very good but the guns are garbage, it's a port queen most of the time.  Not worth buying and I bought it based on a Notser video I watched thinking I might like it, nope!!  No wonder you hardly see them played.

Pete

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, pikohan said:

Just not Duke of York...

Hey

And why not, can you give a good reason other than it's initial design without a heal and everyone complained and the Wargaming made a change to it, and some people think it's worse but is this more hype than actual performance in game?  As I mentioned I do quite well with the DOY and it has a 20% better win rate than my KGV for some reason.  I personally find it to be a solid performing T7 BB and I play it quite often because it is such.

Pete

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,572 posts
9,625 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

And why not, can you give a good reason other than it's initial design without a heal and everyone complained and the Wargaming made a change to it, and some people think it's worse but is this more hype than actual performance in game?  As I mentioned I do quite well with the DOY and it has a 20% better win rate than my KGV for some reason.  I personally find it to be a solid performing T7 BB and I play it quite often because it is such.

Pete

Eh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad or that I don't play it a lot, I just don't think it's worth paying money for given that it's practically a strictly worse KGV. Hydro doesn't really bring anything to the table for a ship like this and her mildly improved AA is nice when she's top tier, but still useless otherwise... just like every other AA (this is more a problem with AA in general, but it's still relevant). Either way these gimmicks are definitely not worth a fifteen percent reduction in DPM and a twenty percent reduction in healing (5 to 4 heals) over the KGV.

It's one thing if OP was looking for a captain trainer as the DoY does have the most in common with the tech tree line, but that doesn't seem to be the intent, and as a "I want a new ship" sort of purchase, the mediocre DoY doesn't make any sense when the Warspite is solid and the Hood and Vanguard, while admittedly also probably mediocre, at least offer a different experience from the silver ships. 

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles
26 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Eh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad or that I don't play it a lot, I just don't think it's worth paying money for given that it's practically a strictly worse KGV. Hydro doesn't really bring anything to the table for a ship like this and her mildly improved AA is nice when she's top tier, but still useless otherwise... just like every other AA (this is more a problem with AA in general, but it's still relevant). Either way these gimmicks are definitely not worth a fifteen percent reduction in DPM and a twenty percent reduction in healing (5 to 4 heals) over the KGV.

It's one thing if OP was looking for a captain trainer as the DoY does have the most in common with the tech tree line, but that doesn't seem to be the intent, and as a "I want a new ship" sort of purchase, the mediocre DoY doesn't make any sense when the Warspite is solid and the Hood and Vanguard, while admittedly also probably mediocre, at least offer a different experience from the silver ships. 

Hey

Warspite is the best of the bunch if someone wants a RN BB, Next would be Hood and with the recent buff's plays much like it did when it first came out.  I would skip Vanguard and well I've stated my findings on DOY, but everyone is different.  

Pete

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,129 posts
16,481 battles

As for between Tech Tree KGV and Premium DOY, in terms of guns KGV feels comfortable due to her faster reload.  The one thing DOY has is she has better bounce angles for her AP shells.  Compare DOY's Ricochet / Bounce Angles to KGV.  Then compare that to Alaska that shares the USN CA AP Bounce Angles.

uejxvli.jpg

Below is a picture from the WoWS Wiki regarding AP.

0uaGsLB.jpg

A lot of people prefer the 25 second reload of KGV.  That is a GREAT perk to have as you pump people with shells that much faster.  DOY has a much more "meh" 29.5 second reload.  Her gun's strength of favorable AP bounce angles, other than the short AP fusing many RN BBs share (which is both good and bad), is less obvious and not even talked about.

You can outright see the benefit of 25 second gun reload on a BB.  But the special DOY bounce angles isn't as apparent unless you dig into the dark recesses of Game Mechanics or something like that.  It's not even something you can look up in your Port Viewer, compared to the obvious 25 second gun reload.  It's right there in your face and you see it in action as soon as you fire your guns.  DOY is more subtle.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.