Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Palladia

Hermes first impressions

2 comments in this topic

Members
1,995 posts
3,875 battles

So I am a little late to this party,  I spent time grinding out the Prince Eitel and needed a bit of a rest so I didn't grind out early access RN CV's.  These are my impressions after only a couple of matches,  but this is a weird case where I think I experienced enough of the ships quirks to get a feel for it.

RN planes have the most hitpoints,  the slowest fighters,  the fastest torpedo bombers, the worst air concealment,   and average dive ((Level)) bombers.  

First off,  the gimmick:  Level bombing.  You launch three Swordfish and each individual plane drops twelve 40lb bombs over a large portion of your targeting area.  The area shrinks quickly and the bombs fall fast enough to easily catch anything larger than a destroyer.  Destroyers take a bit more planning but the area bombing more or less guarantee's a hit or two if you're decent at predicting your targets path. 

I'll start with the bad news here,  you aren't penning anything bigger than a cruiser reliably with these things.  As in,  its not uncommon to see 7 or 8 non-penetrations and a single penetration on...any BB.  Well,  any T4 or higher,  didn't come up against any T3's in my matches so I can't speak for them.   When these bombs DO penetrate something,  individually they deal very meh damage.  2300 max damage does not for a wallop make.

Now for the good news:  Its really,  REALLY easy to hit with these things.  Like...nine out of twelve on a BB is a common occurrence, and six and seven on a cruiser isn't uncommon.  DD's are lower numbers,  but that 700ish damage from a penetration there adds up real quick on T4 DD's.  And the positive side of those 40lb bombs is that they aren't over-penetrating ANYTHING.  Individual damage is low,  as I noted,  but amassed damage on these puppies is actually pretty funny to watch and they tend to wreak havoc on thin skinned cruisers.   And really,  that seems to be these things niche,  racking up damage on cruisers.

And now for your torpedo bombers!  Your Albacores launch in a flight of three and launch a single torpedo per pass.  First,  the bad.  35 knot torpedoes.  These things are anemic in the water,  matching USN's own plane launched torpedoes.

Now for the good:  These things are a mixture of USN and IJN torpedoes.  Nearly the same damage as the IJN torpedoes,  but the same arming distance as their USN counterparts.  You can very nearly drop these things on your targets deck and the damage,  while not great,  adds up fast.  These things are your preferred way of dealing with battleships and so far,  they've been decent at that.

And here we have our fighters.  Your Sea Gladiators form a flight of six,  and from there you have two attack waves of three which all fire four rockets a piece. The bad:  The weakest rockets of all three nations,  with the lowest penetration values and the lowest fire chance.  These fighters are also the slowest of the pack so while they may have more hitpoints than their counterparts,  they also spend more time in AA.

Now for the good,  these are the most accurate and have the fastest aiming circle time of all three nations.  They also don't lose a ton of accuracy while you adjust.  And,  oddly,  these things have more penetration than your level bombers,  so they may be a better fit for breaking modules and starting fires.  At the risk of sounding obvious,  these things are your anti-DD armaments.  

And finally,  the ship itself.  The Hermes has the heaviest secondary armament of the T4 CV's,  the most hitpoints,  is tied for the fastest with the Hosho,  is the most well armored,  and has the middle of the road AA,  and is the least concealed of the three.  

Now,  for my personal take.  I really,  REALLY enjoy this thing.  As in,  it is my favorite of the T4 CV's.  I think it has a lot to do with ease of use:  Its both a lot less punishing to be in AA fire and a lot easier to set up runs.  But for some reason I also just really like the whole level bombing thing.  I think its the reliability of the spread of the bombs,  its extremely rare to have a pass that doesn't land something.

• Cool 1

Members
1,995 posts
3,875 battles

Just had a 100,000 damage game in the Hermes that illustrated a few things.  The first is the armor.  The flank I was on collapsed and I wound up under the gun of a Kaiser and a Wyoming on top of a Langely.  I turned myself north towards them and went to meet my fate.  This lead to a couple of things.  The first off was,  I survived a large number of shells.  Like...five minutes worth.  On top of constant bombing.  I sank the Kaiser and nearly sank the Langley before going down.

Which brings me to my next point,  those secondaries dealt nearly 20,000 damage across 37 hits.  This probably had to do with being so close to the target ((Flat 3.5 km,  no captain skiills for extended range)) but that was still really impressive,  and combined with her sheer armor lead to a very fun match.  I mean it was a loss but I had enjoyed it.

Sign in to follow this