You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Audacious - 1st Impressions

31 comments in this topic

[PEEDZ]
Members
61 posts
14,108 battles

One thing I’ve found after playing some more battles in Audacious is that it excels in despawning fighters with DBs. 

Everyone focuses on the long drop/hit delay but it offers a unique way to bait enemy fighters into aggroing without doing any meaningful damage. The “trick” or commonly accepted method for despawning enemy on summon fighters is having the fighters aggro/start doing their DPS right after you have dropped a payload (as there is a period of invulnerability for your planes after an attack). With the Audacious DBs, since the delay is so long, there is a good 5-7 seconds after you drop the bombs where the fighters can be aggro-ed but not doing damage compared to other nations where it’s in the 3-5 second range. 

My plan for an average Randoms game usually surrounds using attack planes first to scout out ships then drop their payload on one or two BBs (hopefully get a fire that sticks but the attack planes’ (initial) main purpose is served by finding out enemy positioning). Following up, I use the DBs to target isolated ships and in the process despawn any fighters that may show up, break AA mounts, and get them to DCP fires. Immediately after (usually using boost to get there before DCP cooldown is up - targeting BBs is recommended as they have the longest cooldown) I follow up with TBs and get alpha damage and floodings (Audacious sits pretty comfortably above all other T10 CVs in terms of flood chance - 51% - but the others have balancing factors i.e. midway has twice the torps per drop and haku has 3 more planes per wave). After BBs are dead/out of position from concentrated attacks, your team should be able to (hopefully) focus down the crusiers that overextend and the DDs that you spotted with on summon fighters. 

[-VT-]
Members
682 posts
8,480 battles
18 hours ago, Addison_Wang said:

I’ve only played a couple battles but it’s been a rather pleasant experience so far. For captain skills, the only thing I run/don’t run that deviates from the mean is I take AR because it boosts plane speed as health depletes (good on audacious because AR is based off of percentage and her planes have more hp than her t10 counterparts —> a 50% plane from an Audacious is less in danger of being shot down than a 50% plane from a Haku) and I never found the appeal of running CE on CVs which is why I specced out of CE for every CV I own with 0.8.2. With careful positioning a CV should be able to avoid most sorts of damage, and most planes at this tier will get detected by ships before the latter’s AA systems start firing with or without CE. 

I implore everyone who has called the Audacious a bad ship to please give her a second glance. Could she use some quality of life buffs? Sure~ maybe a half second off the drop/hit time of the DBs but nothing too drastic. I hit two 20k salvos with the DBs first game I played in randoms, so any adjustments need to be thought out first and not kneejerk patched. 

Does AR work with plane HP or the CVs HP?  From reading it I assumed it was the CV hp.

[PEEDZ]
Members
61 posts
14,108 battles
31 minutes ago, DemonGod3 said:

Does AR work with plane HP or the CVs HP?  From reading it I assumed it was the CV hp.

The description says that the more HP a plane loses the more speed it gets.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,010 posts
20,299 battles

Just got Audacious late last night took it several times for testing.

Slow planes.

The magically tougher planes aren't magically tough.

Those rockets take forever to ready and fire.

With the negatives out of the way, the TBs are very nice and the level bombers finally show what they can do.

The triple torp and converging drop is nice.  You can play around and go for a normal straight spread or if you got the target where you want him, go for the fully narrow spread and pinpoint the hits.

The level bombers fix the problem they had in prior tiers.  Not enough ordnance drop.  They're still low pen bombs but you drop so many that you will simply get more hits and fires as a result.  You can even make the inadvisable, perpendicular bombing run and bag several hits still, where if you did that in Implacable, it was a waste of time.  If you get a bombing run to somewhat run the length of the ship, you get a fat amount of hits.  The bombs still parachute down to the target just like in Implacable, so nothing new.

It's just unfortunate that the plane characteristics of the RN CV Line only come together in a decent matter only in Tier X.  Prior tiers you get a sip and then the wine is promptly taken away from you.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
24 posts
4,221 battles

Chiming in here as I had some questions about the Audacious. Does anyone else notice the low frequency in which your fighter groups engage enemy squadrons? I know, from experience, that even going through the enemy fighter detection circles usually get them after me after a few seconds, sometimes less. It's quite consistent and is no different in regard to the magically powerful surface ship launched fighter "squads". To be clear, I'm not complaining about their effectiveness once engaged nor their ability to latch onto my planes if I enter their circle.

I am, a little puzzled though, as it seems I don't benefit from the same manner of detection and engagement. Far more often than not, I will dump fighters and see them completely ignore enemy planes that, on occasion, spend a lot more time in my detection circle than I will when I get swatted from the sky. Is it bugged? Is there a technique to the Audacious planes I'm ignorant of? Or is more just the consequence of my slower planes versus their T10 counterparts? Combination? I notice it against both, but the Midway planes seem to really hammer me for the above more than the Hak's do. The speed was my first assumption in which I considered, but also notice too that my fighters will just circle and don't appear to chase like enemy planes do. It's as if they just don't see them. Or care?

Any feedback from anyone noticing the same?

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,386 battles

I traded my Midway for this ship, and I can easily say, I'm not a fan. The level bomb drops are pretty bad, the rockets are mediocre and the torpedoes okay. I don't really see where she fits in when compared to the other 2 CVs. Midway has WAY better bombs(probably even after the nerf), and better rockets. Hakuryu is getting the torpedo niche and her AP bombs are still way better then the Audacious'. I wanted something new and shiny, but I think I got the worst CV for the time being.