You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Audacious - 1st Impressions

31 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,231 battles

The rockets are nearly useless against DDs because the arming time is so long and it feels like you're a drunk trying to direct the planes.  They can set fires on BBs though.

The bombers are really strange.  Play 4 or 5 Coop games first just to get a feel for them.  They don't go up, then down.  Instead they just start at low altitude and don't dive much.  You have to lead a LOT.  Don't expect to hit DDs unless they are parked or really dumb.  Again, they set fires but not a lot of alpha damage.

The torps are pretty good.  3 dropped at a time and they converge.  They also are S-L-O-W so work on leads.  The upside is the planes are really tough and you can get VERY close to your targets.  I tried with and without the torpedo acceleration skill and think it's better to have.  Gets your torp speed UP to 40 knots.  LOL.  Flood chance seems much higher than other CVs.

Edit to add:

Audacious seems more competitive and fun than earlier Brit CVs.  Also, playing Audacious screws up my aiming and timing with other CVs because it's so different.

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,834 posts
16,485 battles

You obviously didn't play tier 4,6 or 8 CV before 8.2.

Nor did you watch any videos on the Unique traits.

Carpet bombing instead of dive bombing....

UK CV are easiest to play.

• Angry 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,275 posts
9,171 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

please do not use the word "carpet" instead of level bombing. (even if lots of poorly informed people do). The correct expression is "level bombing".

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,182 battles

The rocket planes are pretty good I think although as you say OP, they are slow to re-arm. I was able to defend myself from a lone Yeuyang that managed to slip through hitting him for 4-5k dmg. Luckily I’d whittled him down a bit at the start getting ~13k dmg. When he got to my CV I finished him off with a full flight of rocket planes and a couple of lack-luster hits from my secondaries.

The level bombers do relatively good dmg and seemed to set fires on most full drops.

Still got a ways to go to be profishent in Audacious but getting there a step at a time.

Was really hoping the tier 8 prem would be available today so it would help speed up my Captain build. Running a 13pt Capt isn’t helping my cause.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,275 posts
9,171 battles
5 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

The rocket planes are pretty good I think although as you say OP, they are slow to re-arm. I was able to defend myself from a lone Yeuyang that managed to slip through hitting him for 4-5k dmg. Luckily I’d whittled him down a bit at the start getting ~13k dmg. When he got to my CV I finished him off with a full flight of rocket planes and a couple of lack-luster hits from my secondaries.

The level bombers do relatively good dmg and seemed to set fires on most full drops.

Still got a ways to go to be profishent in Audacious but getting there a step at a time.

Was really hoping the tier 8 prem would be available today so it would help speed up my Captain build. Running a 13pt Capt isn’t helping my cause.

I was just watching a replay from @Notser's stream (I was in the opposing Audacious), he expresses disappointment that the version he tested was subsequently nerfed, before release. Much complaint about the "useless" level bombers. (personally I found them ok, even if for sure, the drop times are excruciatingly slow). Main issue I see, is that she is has very poor anti dd capability. The lead times on rockets are quite unusable versus destroyers, while the drop times of level bombers give dds ample time to go their fridge, eat a snack, drink a beer, come back and dodge.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/404600892

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,182 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

I was just watching a replay from @Notser's stream (I was in the opposing Audacious), he expresses disappointment that the version he tested was subsequently nerfed, before release. Much complaint about the "useless" level bombers. (personally I found them ok, even if for sure, the drop times are excruciatingly slow). Main issue I see, is that she is has very poor anti dd capability. The lead times on rockets are quite unusable versus destroyers, while the drop times of level bombers give dds ample time to go their fridge, eat a snack, drink a beer, come back and dodge.

The rockets arm/aim time is a bit slower. You certainly can’t complete a tight turn after a turn and make a 2nd turn easily. I usually try to attack DD’s full broadside but if not possible at least try to get an angle on them. 

The level bombers certainly do drop slowly. I got up, made a cuppa tea before the drop finally hit and have found hitting a ship from stern a lot harder. The dmg output from them seems ok ... not amazing but ok.

How do you have your Captain set up mate? I have mine invested in speed and survivability and working on concealment.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,275 posts
9,171 battles
7 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

How do you have your Captain set up mate? I have mine invested in speed and survivability and working on concealment.

For today, because free respecs and we can experiment :

image.png.488e65daf5ae183e018cc869be216ae8.png

I'll probably drop PT and take LG for one point before the end of the week. 

I see no point in concealment builds for Audacious.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,231 battles
54 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

You obviously didn't play tier 4,6 or 8 CV before 8.2.

Nor did you watch any videos on the Unique traits.

UK CV are easiest to play.

You obviously are unable to make a useful contribution.

Yes, I played the lower Tier Brit CVs.  Yes, i watched videos.  I simply thought my first impressions of a new ship might be useful.  Trying being useful sometime.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
23 posts

I like the 3 plane drops much better compared to the Implacable. I like the attack and torpedo planes though the torpedo is really slow (need to pick up that commander skill). The bombers on the other hand I feel drop way to slow almost like they're lagging their way down to the point I could go get a drink from my refrigerator and come back as the attack run finishes. 

Members
40 posts
6,005 battles

Brit CV's in one word....SLOW. Painfully slow planes, gravity defying 'level' bombs take ages to fall after release, slow rocket re-arm, just plain slow everything. The Audacious is anything but...

[DENY]
Members
834 posts
9,870 battles

yea they [edited] up the bomb it like if there no gravity with them , otherwise in oen drop had 4 fire on a missouri unfortunately he dc ....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,834 posts
16,485 battles
2 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

You obviously are unable to make a useful contribution.

Yes, I played the lower Tier Brit CVs.  Yes, i watched videos.  I simply thought my first impressions of a new ship might be useful.  Trying being useful sometime.

Bombers and torpedoes are the same.

Lol bombers instead if dive bombers.

The easiest ever torpedo bombers to use.

Is there something different from other RN CV's , like better aim time on bombers or a different torpedo drop pattern?

That info would be useful. 

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles
5 hours ago, LoveBote said:

please do not use the word "carpet" instead of level bombing. (even if lots of poorly informed people do). The correct expression is "level bombing".

It is the term, however, used by Wargaming.

I continue to use it for the lols - as well as to highlight how completely inappropriate such a tactic is for the RN carrier line.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,275 posts
9,171 battles
5 minutes ago, HMS_Formidable said:

It is the term, however, used by Wargaming.

*sigh

[5D2]
Members
15 posts
6,452 battles

Audacious is disappointing and broken.

First what is broken on her... Last gasp does not work on the attack planes, and you cannot boost when you use the engine cooling consumable on the attack planes either @Femennenly

Now onto the disappointing parts.

She her level bombers are very unrealistically slower than her lower tiered counterparts.  Over 4 seconds for the bombs to land, compared to around 2 for all the previous Brit CVs.. why would 500lbs bombs drop twice as slow as the 250lbs ones?  The planes don't really go up any higher.  Yeah, they do cause fires decently, but they are extremely difficult to land on anyone who is actively dodging, and they are underwhelming on your best target for them.. battleships.

The torps are listed as the same speed as the Implacables, but they just seem way slower.. especially since it seems from testing the arming time has been increased 493 meters as opposed to 390ish. Please correct if I'm wrong on this.

The only issue with the attack planes really is the brokenness of what I mentioned earlier and how extremely slow they are, the slowest by far.  

I was really looking forward to this ship for quite a long time, but she is right now probably the hardest of all the carriers to play and the weakest as well.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,231 battles
3 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Bombers and torpedoes are the same.

Lol bombers instead if dive bombers.

The easiest ever torpedo bombers to use.

Is there something different from other RN CV's , like better aim time on bombers or a different torpedo drop pattern?

That info would be useful. 

3 torps in a converging pattern with a high flooding probability. As I stated in the OP. 

Dive bombers are worse than earlier Brit CVs as Soullock points out. 

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,182 battles
7 hours ago, LoveBote said:

For today, because free respecs and we can experiment :

image.png.488e65daf5ae183e018cc869be216ae8.png

I'll probably drop PT and take LG for one point before the end of the week. 

I see no point in concealment builds for Audacious.

Thanks mate. Hoping to work up a few more Capt points before the free respects finish and have a play around with my points. Appreciate the help!

[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,231 battles

Here is what I'm working with - fairly standard build for my CVs:

shot-19_04.01_21_35.05-0691.thumb.jpg.b6bc0b515a9cbaea4611e04faf47abe2.jpg

Concealment Expert helps your planes and your ship.  I don't like getting shot at because some ship 14 km away spots me.  Plus the less time your target has to switch AA sides, or maneuver the better.

Demo Expert isn't a big percentage gain for the things that start fires but YMMV.

Just noticed that Demo Expert adds 5% (not 2%) for HE bombs.  Need to re-think that!!!

Spoiler

shot-19_04.02_14_48.59-0329.thumb.jpg.9b0109851fa89b6f56c9c960ace3d9ac.jpg

Adding 1 more fighter to go from 7 to 8 again not much bang for the buck but only 1 point.

Cutting servicing time down 5% doesn't look like much by the numbers but may add up over a 20 minute battle?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,834 posts
16,485 battles
9 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

The rockets are nearly useless against DDs because the arming time is so long and it feels like you're a drunk trying to direct the planes.  They can set fires on BBs though.

The bombers are really strange.  Play 4 or 5 Coop games first just to get a feel for them.  They don't go up, then down.  Instead they just start at low altitude and don't dive much.  You have to lead a LOT.  Don't expect to hit DDs unless they are parked or really dumb.  Again, they set fires but not a lot of alpha damage.

The torps are pretty good.  3 dropped at a time and they converge.  They also are S-L-O-W so work on leads.  The upside is the planes are really tough and you can get VERY close to your targets.  I tried with and without the torpedo acceleration skill and think it's better to have.  Gets your torp speed UP to 40 knots.  LOL.  Flood chance seems much higher than other CVs.

Edit to add:

Audacious seems more competitive and fun than earlier Brit CVs.  Also, playing Audacious screws up my aiming and timing with other CVs because it's so different.

Thank you for your impressions.

Is it THAT much different from tier 8?

[-GPS-]
Members
2,834 posts
31,231 battles

I've just been working on the level bombers in Training Room.

Anyone else find that slowing the bombers down might get more hits?

[PEEDZ]
Members
61 posts
14,022 battles

To preface - I’m a decent CV player (143k average in post hotfix haku -2460PR, 139k midway ~2660PR), so take anything I say with a grain of salt. 

I’ve found success in the Audacious, and I know I’m deviating from the norm by saying that it’s really not that bad a ship. Sure the delay between drop and hit for DBs was disorienting at first, but it only took a few co-op battles to get down the right lead. The torps are quite spectacular as the lines converge in a way that allows almost pinpoint accuracy (again if you’re having trouble getting lead down/judging ship speeds, I highly recommed going into a co-op battle/training room beforehand —> it’ll be much more enjoyable after the fact). The rockets are decent (rate them over haku and inferior to tiny tims) - good at setting fires on BB super structures. My only grief with the rockets is its “inability” to deal with DDs. The reticle is much further out than most other CVs’ rocket reticle causing you to waste more time in preparation which can be crucial when tying to do damage to a DD. Though you can work around this (slightly) by dropping a fighter in the predicted path of the DD and boosting your way through a turn. 

I’ve only played a couple battles but it’s been a rather pleasant experience so far. For captain skills, the only thing I run/don’t run that deviates from the mean is I take AR because it boosts plane speed as health depletes (good on audacious because AR is based off of percentage and her planes have more hp than her t10 counterparts —> a 50% plane from an Audacious is less in danger of being shot down than a 50% plane from a Haku) and I never found the appeal of running CE on CVs which is why I specced out of CE for every CV I own with 0.8.2. With careful positioning a CV should be able to avoid most sorts of damage, and most planes at this tier will get detected by ships before the latter’s AA systems start firing with or without CE. 

I implore everyone who has called the Audacious a bad ship to please give her a second glance. Could she use some quality of life buffs? Sure~ maybe a half second off the drop/hit time of the DBs but nothing too drastic. I hit two 20k salvos with the DBs first game I played in randoms, so any adjustments need to be thought out first and not kneejerk patched. 

Edited by Addison_Wang
  • Cool 4

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,199 battles

I have to agree: The bombers are ... weird.

What are they dropping? Parachute-retarded anti-airfield bombs or something?

They also seem to have a magnetic *repulsion* from DD and CAs (seemingly perfect drops which land on top of the ship instead land all around it).

But I'll persist. It may just be RNG in my first few games.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester
183 posts
3,338 battles
7 hours ago, Addison_Wang said:

To preface - I’m a decent CV player (143k average in post hotfix haku -2460PR, 139k midway ~2660PR), so take anything I say with a grain of salt. 

I’ve found success in the Audacious, and I know I’m deviating from the norm by saying that it’s really not that bad a ship. Sure the delay between drop and hit for DBs was disorienting at first, but it only took a few co-op battles to get down the right lead. The torps are quite spectacular as the lines converge in a way that allows almost pinpoint accuracy (again if you’re having trouble getting lead down/judging ship speeds, I highly recommed going into a co-op battle/training room beforehand —> it’ll be much more enjoyable after the fact). The rockets are decent (rate them over haku and inferior to tiny tims) - good at setting fires on BB super structures. My only grief with the rockets is it’s “inability” to deal with DDs. The reticle is much further out than most other CVs’ rocket reticle causing you to waste more time in preparation which can be crucial when tying to do damage to a DD. Though you can work around this (slightly) by dropping a fighter in the predicted path of the DD and boosting your way through a turn. 

I’ve only played a couple battles but it’s been a rather pleasant experience so far. For captain skills, the only thing I run/don’t run that deviates from the mean is I take AR because it boosts plane speed as health depletes (good on audacious because AR is based off of percentage and her planes have more hp than her t10 counterparts —> a 50% plane from an Audacious is less in danger of being shot down than a 50% plane from a Haku) and I never found the appeal of running CE on CVs which is why I specced out of CE for every CV I own with 0.8.2. With careful positioning a CV should be able to avoid most sorts of damage, and most planes at this tier will get detected by ships before the latter’s AA systems start firing with or without CE. 

I implore everyone who has called the Audacious a bad ship to please give her a second glance. Could she use some quality of life buffs? Sure~ maybe a half second off the drop/hit time of the DBs but nothing too drastic. I hit two 20k salvos with the DBs first game I played in randoms, so any adjustments need to be thought out first and not kneejerk patched. 

I have to agree with this assessment. I like her a lot. DB were always the hardest to use for me in my Hak and Midway. Once I got the hang of the extended lead time for the level bombers down Ive literally been "lighting" up targets. With the quantity of bombs that get dropped I think you need  to spec to set fires on this CV. Love the HP of all the planes as well. Can finally get multiple runs. TB are nice and score a lot of hits. Yes the rocket planes are hard to use against DD, but they can mess up a cruiser.

She's quickly becoming my favorite Tier X.

[DENY]
Members
834 posts
9,870 battles
59 minutes ago, Roamer0101 said:

I have to agree with this assessment. I like her a lot. DB were always the hardest to use for me in my Hak and Midway. Once I got the hang of the extended lead time for the level bombers down Ive literally been "lighting" up targets. With the quantity of bombs that get dropped I think you need  to spec to set fires on this CV. Love the HP of all the planes as well. Can finally get multiple runs. TB are nice and score a lot of hits. Yes the rocket planes are hard to use against DD, but they can mess up a cruiser.

She's quickly becoming my favorite Tier X.

yes spec fire with flag and get this kind of stuff had the first blood in like 3 min , bombed and iowa , 3 fire first drop he dc , 3 more fire , came back and light him up another time ,  did 20k dmg on the first drop as well

shot-19.04.02_06.22.37-0907.jpg

• Cool 1

[AK]
[AK]
Beta Testers
23 posts
7,625 battles
13 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I've just been working on the level bombers in Training Room.

Anyone else find that slowing the bombers down might get more hits?

I have done very slow passes and the bombs still land very slow. Personally I thought there was some kind of glitch with them because I am still not seeing the explosions.