You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #122 - Azuma

200 comments in this topic

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,782 posts
20,376 battles

bMPW3fb.gif

Awesome! I was just looking for this. Thanks for taking the time to do all of this research. 

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Members
12,627 posts
14,320 battles

A shame Wargaming did not listen to anyone about giving Azuma at least reasonable armor protection so she could do her job. Guess I will just wait and hope the Yoshino will be better since I have better things to spend 1 million free XP on. :Smile_sad:

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,515 posts
23,287 battles

tcpTyxu.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
6,764 posts
7,444 battles

giphy.gif

I really can't help but wonder how Azuma would turn out to be were she to retain the cruiser accuracy. If she had that and maybe the Hydro as well, she could have been pretty interesting. Still, can't talk with ifs, thanks for the review!

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,849 posts
19,037 battles

good in depth review LWM! /^.\\ b

maybe maybe maybe... I'll get her and do secondary build for coop to blow off steam accumulated from random battles but my Republique and GK does that job for me already.

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
778 posts

Thanks for the review.    Anytime  Adrenalin Rush is the preferred Captain Skill on a cruiser you better take a long hard look at her. lwm.gif.8a145468520d741c7fb1a98b96a93268.gif 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

7,026 posts
28,213 battles

Thx for the review.

I think this is the first time I will pass on a freeXP ship, even I'm sitting at 1.9mio of them.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
26,938 posts
21,752 battles
47 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Between Stalingrad, Alaska, Kronshtadt, Graf Spee and now Azuma and now with Yoshino on the horizon, we've got enough of these ships that they could use a name.

Battlecruiser.

I would also put Scharnhorst in this group, even though WG classifies her as a battleship. Her gun armament is of a lower calibre than the Tier IX's and yet she gets a BB label.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLFA]
Members
443 posts
24,519 battles

Thanks  for this review LWM, think I will pass this one too, 25mm armor its not enough for a big boat like this, sad because I like it. o7

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,747 posts
27,759 battles
5 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Man they really did nerf the hell out of this ship. 

It does look a mess. 

[MAUS]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,991 posts
11,803 battles
10 minutes ago, Sakatsuki_Miyu said:

Well, Time to Wait for Yoshino, or hope WG buffs Azuma...

I think everyone's generally waiting to see what happens with Yoshino.

• Cool 6

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

Certainly a dumb question by now but is there a place where all the LWM reviews are accessible? 

Thanks in advance.

[KSF]
1,732 posts
20,245 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I think everyone's generally waiting to see what happens with Yoshino.

Agreed - the disparity between the two ships is so great that it seems like dedicated players will wait for the Yoshino over the Azuma by a wide margin.  I can't see investing the 1 Mil FXP on something I will play a handful of times before I drop the coal on the Yoshino.  The Atago is a much nicer trainer for the IJN CA line and a comfortable ship to play on its own - the Azuma doesn't seem to offer the same benefits in that regard.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would also put Scharnhorst in this group, even though WG classifies her as a battleship. Her gun armament is of a lower calibre than the Tier IX's and yet she gets a BB label.

Because Scharnhorst has a far superior survivability compared to any of these large Cruisers. She does not meet the definition of a Battlecruiser, neither by German nor by any other historical standards, and has been refered to by the Germans as a Battleship in all sources I have seen so far, from blueprints over the weekly TV series to the newspaper reports reporting her loss.

By in-game standards the large Cruisers so far are distinguished by carrying weaker armor and firepower than BBs in exchange for speed, maneuverability and/or Cruiser tools. Scharnhorst does not meet that criteria, her armor is comparing favorably compared the T7 BBs even if her firepower is below BB levels.

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles
6 minutes ago, USSLangley said:

Certainly a dumb question by now but is there a place where all the LWM reviews are accessible?  

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Thank you once more LWM for another very detailed and informative review. 

Edited by RipNuN2

[KWF]
Members
6,764 posts
7,444 battles
49 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Battlecruiser.

10 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Because Scharnhorst has a far superior survivability compared to any of these large Cruisers. She does not meet the definition of a Battlecruiser, neither by German nor by any other historical standards, and has been refered to by the Germans as a Battleship in all sources I have seen so far, from blueprints over the weekly TV series to the newspaper reports reporting her loss.

By in-game standards the large Cruisers so far are distinguished by carrying weaker armor and firepower than BBs in exchange for speed, maneuverability and/or Cruiser tools. Scharnhorst does not meet that criteria, her armor is comparing favorably compared the T7 BBs even if her firepower is below BB levels.

I think "Cruiser Leader (CLE)" could be a relatively accurate term, akin to how some of the larger destroyers were called Destroyer Leaders. In that sense you could describe these ships as enlarged cruisers leading formations of cruisers and were able to perform cruiser tasks, yet carrying bigger caliber weapons than a normal cruiser would.

Edited by warheart1992

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I think "Cruiser Leader (CLE)" could be a relatively accurate term, akin to how some of the larger destroyers were called Destroyer Leaders. In that sense you could describe these ships as enlarged cruisers that were able to perform cruiser tasks, yet carrying bigger caliber weapons than a normal cruiser would.

It would still not change that Scharnhorst has a survivability equal to that of a Battleship, whereas Azuma, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad and Alaska (and Graf Spee if we include her) do not. All these large Cruisers have firepower and survivability in between that of a Cruiser and a Battleship. Scharnhorst only has former.