Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
anonym_9qa81sg1ET3c

Kaga is absolutely destroying

30 comments in this topic

Members
757 posts

Anyone else post CV changes feel this way? I have the T8 RN CV and its such crap compared to the Kaga. Whats even more is the bombs on the Kaga seem to outclass the torps at times. Ive got an 180k game under my belt why the RN CVs just feel like the skill ceiling is low.

• Cool 1

0 posts
4 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

Anyone else post CV changes feel this way? I have the T8 RN CV and its such crap compared to the Kaga. Whats even more is the bombs on the Kaga seem to outclass the torps at times. Ive got an 180k game under my belt why the RN CVs just feel like the skill ceiling is low.

Implacable does require a lot of heavy lifting to get ok results, I agree. Although, none of the t8s are exactly overpowered. All t8 cvs are pretty much bystanders unless their team is seriously dreadful/

[RLGN]
Members
18,930 posts
34,453 battles
27 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Implacable does require a lot of heavy lifting to get ok results, I agree. Although, none of the t8s are exactly overpowered. All t8 cvs are pretty much bystanders unless their team is seriously dreadful/

Kaga is even worse. You get uptiered, big squadrons or not, you’re fighting Tier 10 AA with Tier 6 planes.

[-WD-]
Members
1,221 posts
17,363 battles

I like implacable , I seem to do has good when bottom tier with it , plane are.strong , my best game in it is 204k

0 posts
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Kaga is even worse. You get uptiered, big squadrons or not, you’re fighting Tier 10 AA with Tier 6 planes.

I don't quite agree with this interpretation. What matters, is not the stated tier, but 

a) plane speed

b) hp

c) alpha

d) agility

c) stealthiness/range

in no particular order.

Kaga's planes, are by no means the worst of t8 premiums. Arguably, better than Graf's tier 10 worthy (excepting hp) TA 152s supersonic speed demons. See Mouse's recent review. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
18,930 posts
34,453 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

I don't quite agree with this interpretation. What matters, is not the stated tier, but 

a) plane speed

b) hp

c) alpha

d) agility

c) stealthiness/range

in no particular order.

See Mouse's recent review.

A person can say all they want that something is ‘good,’ what I see is planes falling from the sky at the least hint of AA.

Not seeing WGs claim of ‘easier’ mechanics as anything but a lie.

• Boring 1

Members
2,688 posts
4,555 battles
On 3/27/2019 at 7:55 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tier 8 planes with Tier 7 hitpoints, Tier 9 speed, and Tier 6 damage.   The Kaga has some weird planes,  man.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
18,930 posts
34,453 battles
1 hour ago, Palladia said:

Tier 8 planes with Tier 7 hitpoints, Tier 9 speed, and Tier 6 damage.   The Kaga has some weird planes,  man.

Yeah, had a 100k+ practice game in it last night, damn bot Republique came around a corner and went by close enough to throw potatoes. Planes dropping like flies almost as soon as they take off, but enough surviving to strike an Alaska that also showed up and sink it.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,953 posts
44,579 battles

I like Kaga and she is my best T8 in terms of win rate. The planes are stealthy.  The torps hit hard (relatively speaking) and there are four per drop. The bombs and rockets are ok. But I almost never run out of planes unless MM was truly horrible in terms of AA and teammates. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,566 posts
30,498 battles
On 3/27/2019 at 4:55 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

*POOF!*

There goes a Kaga squadron!

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

*POOF!*

There goes a Kaga squadron!

Kind of off-topic, but post rework my most disheartening experience as a carrier player was having a full-health flight of Seafires absolutely DELETED by three flak blasts from, of all things, a lone Z-52. No survivors, didn't even get to drop my payload. Just *BLAM!* dead. What was that about British planes having more health, devs? *muttersaboutsquadronsize*

On the flipside, killing a Republique with my Kaga was downright hilarious and I'm STILL kind of in awe that I managed it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,566 posts
30,498 battles
On 4/2/2019 at 8:21 PM, Landsraad said:

Kind of off-topic, but post rework my most disheartening experience as a carrier player was having a full-health flight of Seafires absolutely DELETED by three flak blasts from, of all things, a lone Z-52. No survivors, didn't even get to drop my payload. Just *BLAM!* dead. What was that about British planes having more health, devs? *muttersaboutsquadronsize*

On the flipside, killing a Republique with my Kaga was downright hilarious and I'm STILL kind of in awe that I managed it.

I remember in the Pre-CV Rework days, years ago, I was still playing my Strike Lexington.  CV aircraft relative to the tier AA was always a big thing, even now.  I remember all the talk, "Yamato AA is absolutely worthless."  Yet when I sent my Strike Lexi's bombers of 1 TB + 3 DB squads, they all got shredded and I maybe landed 1 or 2 bombs.  And that's with the "tougher" USN aircraft compared to Shokaku.  That was my first experience when using CVs that Tier AA trumps the CV.

I still remember playing Alabama and this Shokaku player was asking if I had Manual AA on top of my AA Build after I tore apart 2 large bombing attempts against me.  I told him no, just BFT + AFT with AAGM2, the typical non-hardcore AA Build.  He was frustrated and as i kept shredding his planes.  With a Tier VIII Shokaku struggling against an AA Alabama, I laugh when I see Tier VI-VII CVs try to go after me.

There was one occasion when I was playing 'Bama that this Atlanta and Schors played correctly and hammered my BB from behind islands / long range.  Together they did a lot of damage, taking me from about 90% HP to about 40%.  But I disengaged, went back to stealth, and was conducting repairs.  But the enemy CV, a Ryujo, saw what the CLs did to me and sent all his bombers to finish me off since I had just used DCP.  He relied on sending everything at the same time to ensure either a Flood or Fire landed on me to finish me, since my DCP was on CD.  Except I still had so much AA that no Ryujo bomber made it :Smile_veryhappy:  The RJ player was on chat asking WTH was going on!  My entire ship was black from all the HE and Fires I took.  "All your AA should have been destroyed by the 2 CLs"  I told him my AA was intact for 2 reasons.

1.  I mounted AAM1 module to make AA / Secondary mounts tougher.

2.  USN BB AA has a lot of 40mm Bofors and all that, but the heart of their AA was the dual purpose 127mm gun mounts, and those are tough :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
144 posts
2,491 battles

And that is the current problem with AA.

CV and planes vs same tier:  doable, but requires some skill, not too difficult though.

CV and planes vs -1/-2 tiers:  you're going to have a good game if your team isn't a bunch of potatoes, and you pick targets correctly.

CV and planes vs +1/+2 tiers:  you will probably have a low damage game, aside from getting spotting damage.  AA is usually too strong to take on even a lone ship (+2 tiers), without sacrificing your entire squadron to drop one or two bombs/ torpedos.  If your team is winning, you can do well late game, by getting low hp ships, the plane trade off being worth it at that point, assuming you didn't YOLO, and get yourself deplaned.

The AA curve is too steep at tier 8+ for a lower tier CV to do much until late game.  I've had surprisingly low damage games vs same/lower tiers, and I've had surprisingly high damage games when uptiered, but those are usually the outliers, not the norm.

[WDWL]
Members
1,521 posts
13,321 battles
On 3/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

A person can say all they want that something is ‘good,’ what I see is planes falling from the sky at the least hint of AA.

Not seeing WGs claim of ‘easier’ mechanics as anything but a lie.

My Saipan has T10 planes and they will die just as quickly if I fly into the wrong ship's AA.  I have had lone T8 BB's and DD's decimate entire flight groups before getting a single bomb away.  Even ships with poor AA will tear you up when grouped tightly.   

At least the Kaga has a lot of planes and replaces them quickly.  The fact that you can sacrifice a full squadron in order to get a drop off makes her more forgiving.   You can get deplaned in a Saipan flying in groups of 2 if you are not careful in your target selection.   

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
231 posts
10,609 battles

Not fond of what's happened with Kaga's DBs.

Who cares?!? Kaga drops FOUR high speed torps on each pass, that's your killer, you don't get that until T10 in any other CV.

[WPORT]
Members
19,317 posts
21,795 battles
On 3/27/2019 at 7:55 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

That's my current situation with my Shokaku that I'm still breaking-in and slowly upgrading the modules & planes on.
Co-op battles tend to cost more than the ship earns.
Random battles aren't much of an improvement, economically speaking.

[RLGN]
Members
18,930 posts
34,453 battles
3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

That's my current situation with my Shokaku that I'm still breaking-in and slowly upgrading the modules & planes on.
Co-op battles tend to cost more than the ship earns.
Random battles aren't much of an improvement, economically speaking.

Well, I tend to carrier in Co-op because reasons. I’ve finally reached the point where I can make book with them and win games reliably again, but it’s still peanuts compared to the salad days of RTS.

[WPORT]
Members
19,317 posts
21,795 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well, I tend to carrier in Co-op because reasons. I’ve finally reached the point where I can make book with them and win games reliably again, but it’s still peanuts compared to the salad days of RTS.

:cap_like:

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles
On 4/4/2019 at 7:43 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There was one occasion when I was playing 'Bama that this Atlanta and Schors played correctly and hammered my BB from behind islands / long range.  Together they did a lot of damage, taking me from about 90% HP to about 40%.  But I disengaged, went back to stealth, and was conducting repairs.  But the enemy CV, a Ryujo, saw what the CLs did to me and sent all his bombers to finish me off since I had just used DCP.  He relied on sending everything at the same time to ensure either a Flood or Fire landed on me to finish me, since my DCP was on CD.  Except I still had so much AA that no Ryujo bomber made it :Smile_veryhappy:  The RJ player was on chat asking WTH was going on!  My entire ship was black from all the HE and Fires I took.  "All your AA should have been destroyed by the 2 CLs"  I told him my AA was intact for 2 reasons.

1.  I mounted AAM1 module to make AA / Secondary mounts tougher.

2.  USN BB AA has a lot of 40mm Bofors and all that, but the heart of their AA was the dual purpose 127mm gun mounts, and those are tough :Smile_trollface:

Okay this might be a bit necromantic, but I was just reminded of a HILARIOUS story from the RTS days. So it's a tier 9 game on Two Brothers (and no, the slot is NOT involved in this story) and each team has a Shokaku. I'm in my Atlanta and spawn on the west end of south side, over towards the edge. Oh good, I'll be sneaky and use the islands for cover. I then noted something that the CV did as well: My team had a pair of Musashis on my side. Well, I still stick with the plan, I try to be sneaky and duck behind the west islands. The Musashi duo moves out slowly and sticks together, partly to get AA cover ahead of them, partly because... It's Musashi, she's a brick at the best of times. I'm out on the edge of the 1-2 line lining up shots when what do I see? The FULL FORCE of that Shokaku's bomber force coming straight for me right off the bat, hoping to be sneaky and hit the Musashis from behind. He chose... Poorly. I, naturally light up DefAA in my AA-specced Atlanta as he panic-drops EVERYTHING on me. Only gets two or three torps off out of the whole shebang, all misses. Four squadrons downed solo, and those were absolutely delicious!

Members
12,669 posts
14,320 battles
On 3/27/2019 at 6:20 PM, The_Fire_Department said:

There either is or will be soon a RN Unique Captain that will greatly enhance the RN CV you place him or or will be good on other ships as well.

[WGPB]
Members
329 posts
3,895 battles

this is an older thread, but i'm still gonna ask anyway

is there a current 2022 special IJN cv commander available?

[WPORT]
Members
19,317 posts
21,795 battles
13 minutes ago, trikke said:

this is an older thread, but i'm still gonna ask anyway

is there a current 2022 special IJN cv commander available?

Commander Isoroku Yamamoto (earned via completing an in-game Campaign) does not have any special bonuses for Japanese Aircraft Carriers.

image_2022-08-07_165337936.thumb.png.96398e1db20d2ba9186e45874f5e4b90.png

I'll check-on a few other Commanders, but he was my first guess and he didn't pan-out as an answer to your question @trikke.

Edited to add:  Found one.  I'll continue checking.

image_2022-08-07_165800375.thumb.png.364d743b81faded1fbe42d9d6e20bbed.png

Edited to add:  I found a second one.  :-)

image_2022-08-07_170029173.thumb.png.29db472b64b80e18c05e99befba7c89c.png

The Suzuki named Commanders are available in the Armory, in exchange for coal, I think.

Edited to add:  Correction.  One for coal and one for doubloons.  :-)

image_2022-08-07_170444171.thumb.png.e9029e69e5509afbf28318cd24d56cfd.png

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this