53 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
1,453 posts
734 battles

In the near future there will be test sessions with the first destructible game objects on the map: icebergs. A large block of ice will block the way between the islands or serve as temporary cover in the open water inside a key area.

Icebergs won't have a HP bar, but their condition may be estimated by their appearance. After extensive shooting, the iceberg will collapse and go under the water, offering new tactical possibilities. You can use main guns or torpedoes to destroy icebergs.

Collision behavior will be the same as for ordinary islands.

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 5

[NGA]
Members
1,758 posts
9,368 battles
19 minutes ago, iKami said:

go under the water

Do you guys really have to encourage the submarine crowd?

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,545 posts
4,203 battles

Soon, we shall avenge the Titanic.

giphy.gif.12ce0a3451bfc771577e19399baacd5f.gif

• Funny 14

Members
2,083 posts
509 battles

so like houses in WOT???

something else to not be able to hide behind to protect yourself...

qelNgB4.gif

but radar still goes right through it....
yHKbBAr.gif

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
36 minutes ago, Panbun said:

I hope you do something, because my Ocean Liner Normandie Crew May be a little nervous about the ice bergs idea... :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,153 posts
2,822 battles
1 hour ago, Panbun said:

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw this. Should be an interesting addition, look forward to seeing it tested.

[BGA]
Members
15 posts
10,989 battles

This sounds cool, but I see a match starting and players immediately dissolving icebergs.  Will likely need to have an initial time frame that prevents them from being damaged for say the first 5 minutes of the match.  Otherwise I see bored people at the start deleting them.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,829 posts
7,063 battles
21 minutes ago, Sinsie said:

Will likely need to have an initial time frame that prevents them from being damaged for say the first 5 minutes of the match.  Otherwise I see bored people at the start deleting them.

I see the potential for a light-hearted low-tier mission: travel ahead of the Titanic and blast a path for her. :Smile_izmena:

[SALVO]
Members
20,566 posts
20,417 battles

If you destroy the portion of an iceberg that's above the surface, there's still 90% of the iceberg left.  And after that above water destruction, the berg should rebalance itself so that once again the 10% above water and 90% below water ratio is preserved.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,228 posts
14,300 battles

I can hardly wait for someone to camp behind an iceberg and accidentally destroy it with their rear guns that they couldn't tell NOT to fire.

• Cool 1

Members
305 posts
4,744 battles

This...makes...no...sense...

An iceberg could easily take a Yamato round and not care. In fact it could take a torpedo and it couldn't care any less. Despite how it is shown i movies and video games, ice is not an easy to break material. Icebergs, especially the ones of this magnitude we are talking about, are incredibly tough. Remember Titanic?, yeah that iceberg ripped through a few layers of steel and guess what...it's still floating in the Atlantic. The fact this one was not only broken but completely shattered by 6 inch AP rounds is completely absurd and unrealistic.

But then again this is a game where radar and hydro goes through land so...

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
4,788 posts
2,718 battles

I am not certain giving people reasons to shoot object is a good idea.

Enough do it now when there is no reason.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,914 posts
8,282 battles

looks fun, silly, but fun.

[VW]
Members
2,509 posts
14,518 battles
1 hour ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

This...makes...no...sense...

An iceberg could easily take a Yamato round and not care. In fact it could take a torpedo and it couldn't care any less. Despite how it is shown i movies and video games, ice is not an easy to break material. Icebergs, especially the ones of this magnitude we are talking about, are incredibly tough. Remember Titanic?, yeah that iceberg ripped through a few layers of steel and guess what...it's still floating in the Atlantic. The fact this one was not only broken but completely shattered by 6 inch AP rounds is completely absurd and unrealistic.

But then again this is a game where radar and hydro goes through land so...

But crossing the T being irrelevant in this game doesnt bother you? There is nothing realistic about this game.

Besides this might make the bbs hiding in back not shooting actually open up!

[WOLF4]
Members
185 posts
5,556 battles

Whooo. Even more credit expenditure to post battle costs. Not that I would expect it to take that large of a toll but still, every shot fired costs $. I hope the graphics/sound of it chipped away will be worth the shells shot at it.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,705 posts
17,319 battles

I'm sorry; but this just seems stupidly silly.  You can't anymore take out an Iceburg with gunfire then an island.  Even more so, at least an island you can level, an Iceburg will continue to rise again.

Is this Warships or Breakout, I can't tell?

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,535 posts
4,679 battles

I was disappointed that the iceberg didn't create a wave

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,477 posts
10,590 battles
6 hours ago, commando_brian said:

It sounds a bit silly

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ silly^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Destruction of Ice bergs?  really WG?  I think there are other weather type things that are more appropriate for Arctic waters.... fog, snow, even Icing of the ship could be fun, cuts down speed and maneuver... destroying icebergs?  You do know that is almost impossible right?  Glacier Ice is better than Stalinium.....

• Cool 3

Members
463 posts
9,108 battles

I am not a fan of this idea at all, we know this is not a realistic simulation game, but this is going to far, it simply is not possible to destroy icebergs with the guns of these ships 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,575 posts
12,545 battles

Interesting idea, will its an arcade game for those realisists complaining that you cant take out an iceberg with gunfire.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,453 posts
734 battles
On 3/26/2019 at 2:28 PM, Warped_1 said:

I'm sorry; but this just seems stupidly silly.  You can't anymore take out an Iceburg with gunfire then an island.  Even more so, at least an island you can level, an Iceburg will continue to rise again.

Is this Warships or Breakout, I can't tell?

Hey Warped_1,

Thank you for your thoughts on icebergs.

We believe having some destructible environmental elements will add some more spontaneous action to the game.

Take this scenario as an example:

Ship A is using a combination of a permanent island and a destructible iceberg as cover. You are coordinating with some teammates to figure out a way to flank that enemy ship. Now you could go all the way around the islands, but what if there was a way to "cut through" closer to that ship. 

With the destructible iceberg there you have an option to destroy it and flank that enemy ship quicker. To me this sounds like an option that makes both teams have to think about the environment around them.

There are many games out there that have destructible environments that add to the game and help make engagements happen differently each time.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, Visidious said:

I am not a fan of this idea at all, we know this is not a realistic simulation game, but this is going to far, it simply is not possible to destroy icebergs with the guns of these ships 

Thank you for your thoughts on icebergs but let me ask you this: What is the difference between having destructible icebergs in World of Warships and having destructible environments in other games?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,648 posts
11,719 battles
19 minutes ago, iKami said:

Thank you for your thoughts on icebergs but let me ask you this: What is the difference between having destructible icebergs in World of Warships and having destructible environments in other games? 

I've seen lots of pictures of destroyed buildings, trees, bunkers etc. etc. I've never seen a destroyed iceberg and conceptually it just doesn't make sense.

• Cool 4