You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Heebie_Jeebies_

Roma in a nutshell

25 comments in this topic

Members
203 posts
2,737 battles

Roma

A Battle Ship

HP - Solid

Armor - Solid

Guns - Shells travel fast, guns rotate fast, range is poor, dispersion is below average. 

HP shells - Bad weak, low fire chance. 

AP shells - High penetration, high damage. 

AA - Below average

Secondaries - Poor

Speed - Fast

Maneuverability - Solid

Description - The respect the Roma gets in the forums isn't as high as she deserves in the game.  The truth about Roma is such that even the Yamato and Montana should be squeamish to show their broadsides to Roma from any distance. 

Roma takes a lot of heat from critics for her loose vertical dispersion and ability to over pen the target with her AP shells. But simply shooting at cruisers when they are straight on rather than broadside really mitigates both these issues. I recommend shooting at cruisers broadside's when they are beyond 16km out though.

Playstyle - Roma is stealthy, agile, fast, heavily armored and has plenty of mettle. Use your stealth to get the best positions against your opponents where you can angle your armor against your target (or two), and an island that protects you from the rest of their team. (Especially those DD torps.) 

One on one even a Yamato should think twice before engaging a well angled Roma for any length of time. 

Build - Don't do secondaries. Even if you max out a secondary build the guns stay worthless in this game.  Building for AA is valuable.  The big CV change that just occurred means attack aircraft are thick these days.  Building against fire and flood is best. That tilts the advantage of bow tanking further in your favor.  Bow tanking is where she is at her best. Just remember to put as much enemy cruiser armor as you can between where you hit her and the water on the other side. 

Danger - She has to get close to hunt her prey and she hunts other BBs the best. They all must respect her. Roma can find herself in a great deal of trouble if her teammates go into full retreat. Her stealth and strategic positioning can turn into a nightmare quickly if the enemy team is able to advance quickly. 

History - It's sad to see that those 90mm guns didn't get the appreciation from Wargamming developers that they truly deserved. Those guns were fantastic. They were used in Italy's multipurpose field artillery and AA guns as well as their tank destroyers. If these guns had one fault, it's that Italy just couldn't build them fast enough to meet the insatiable demand. 

Don't buy the stupid beer can, it's not even on the same planet as'"worth it" is. 7,000db and ruining a beautiful ship isn't worth a handful of credits. 

Edited by _Heebie_Jeebies_
  • Cool 2

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles
1 hour ago, _Heebie_Jeebies_ said:

Don't buy the stupid beer can, it's not even on the same planet as'"worth it" is. 7,000db and ruining a beautiful ship isn't worth a handful of credits. 

The review was spot on... maybe overselling her a bit. But this statement is one I can not get behind

Firstly, it depends entirely on the player. It provides MONSTEROUS economic games. Iirc it is a better credit earner than a Musashi. As for beauty? It's in the eye of the beholder. I bought the camo the second time around for the economic benifits, and it has grown on me (probably more than any other item in game). If you can get past the Japanese writing on an Italian ship, and not let the beer can get you down... it is a beautiful camo.

Expensive? Hell yes. Throws historical accuracy out a 3rd story window? For sure. Not for everybody no questions asked? Debatable

Members
1,560 posts
3,791 battles
9 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

The review was spot on... maybe overselling her a bit. But this statement is one I can not get behind

Firstly, it depends entirely on the player. It provides MONSTEROUS economic games. Iirc it is a better credit earner than a Musashi. As for beauty? It's in the eye of the beholder. I bought the camo the second time around for the economic benifits, and it has grown on me (probably more than any other item in game). If you can get past the Japanese writing on an Italian ship, and not let the beer can get you down... it is a beautiful camo.

Expensive? Hell yes. Throws historical accuracy out a 3rd story window? For sure. Not for everybody no questions asked? Debatable

Japanese writing on an Italian ship............russian ship.

[C3-23]
Members
1 post

I really enjoy Roma, a buff to accuracy or a decrease from 0.33 to 0.22 pen would also be appreciated for sure. But she is a very solid ship, I usually do very well in it. But the despersion some times can be frustrating. I also dislike the beer can camo, but u also need credits at times.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,410 posts
6,518 battles

Roma is fun to be bottom tier vs a BB heavy team in, as long as your team doesn't concede the map, which cuts down heavily on what Roma is good at. A lot of times the red T10 BBs won't respect you, so you get to eat all their HP while they concentrate on fighting your T10 BBs. A lot of 18.1" BBs can be baited into wasting fire on the bow strakes if they do pay attention to you.

17 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Roma in a nutshell...

Scrap.

Only if you're bad.

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,285 posts
12,715 battles

I am curious as to why Roma’s 90mm AA guns in game  are supposed to be bad in game when there were some 90mm AA guns in use that were very good in real life?

Members
203 posts
2,737 battles
On 3/28/2019 at 8:33 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am curious as to why Roma’s 90mm AA guns in game  are supposed to be bad in game when there were some 90mm AA guns in use that were very good in real life?

Well, these 90mm guns were great in real life. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_90/53

In the game, the mathematics only considers the caliber size and whatever Italian BB flavor they were going for. At this point, the intended flavor is ambiguous at best. 

It's probably Roma's biggest failing that she doesn't stand out from the pack in any way except in esthetics. 

The 90mm guns in game suffer the same problem as most secondary guns do. They were intentionally designed to be pretty worthless. 

Even blowing upgrade spots and 15 captain skill points won't make secondarys any good. It makes me wonder why skills like manual targeting and advanced training are so expensive. Going from worthless to still worthless shouldn't cost much IMHO. 

[RKLES]
Members
11,285 posts
12,715 battles
14 hours ago, _Heebie_Jeebies_ said:

Well, these 90mm guns were great in real life. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_90/53

In the game, the mathematics only considers the caliber size and whatever Italian BB flavor they were going for. At this point, the intended flavor is ambiguous at best. 

It's probably Roma's biggest failing that she doesn't stand out from the pack in any way except in esthetics. 

The 90mm guns in game suffer the same problem as most secondary guns do. They were intentionally designed to be pretty worthless. 

Even blowing upgrade spots and 15 captain skill points won't make secondarys any good. It makes me wonder why skills like manual targeting and advanced training are so expensive. Going from worthless to still worthless shouldn't cost much IMHO. 

Yeah well BFT and BFT can be very powerful skills on some ships while at least offering some sort of improvement on the rest of the ships. Hence the reason those skills are so costly. Imagine a full secondary build Bismarck that also gets some survival skills or something. I can also agree it would be nice to have those skills in addition to others, but as I said it’s understandable why we are limited.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
6,127 battles

If I were to describe playing Roma in a single moment of gameplay, it would probably be "Coming around an island to unload on an unsuspecting lolibote only for every shot to hit... And overpen."

Roma's guns are SO WONDERFUL when you get an engagement at the right range and she's probably the most comfortable battleship at her tier in terms of movement, but those same awesome AP characteristics are a double-edged sword once you get close enough for your agility to really come into play. Unless you're brawling against an Iowa or Missouri, in which case they're perfect at any range and you just have to stay on their tail while they frantically and helplessly try to lose you.

• Cool 1

Members
203 posts
2,737 battles
9 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah well BFT and BFT can be very powerful skills on some ships while at least offering some sort of improvement on the rest of the ships. Hence the reason those skills are so costly. Imagine a full secondary build Bismarck that also gets some survival skills or something. I can also agree it would be nice to have those skills in addition to others, but as I said it’s understandable why we are limited.

Your argument is well enough, but it misses the mark. Spending 15 captain points and key upgrade slots on any battleship should make their secondaries great, not just the rare exception. 

Tirpitz + 15 point secondary build + secondary upgrades = awesome

Roma + 15 point secondary build + secondary upgrades = useless

[WOLF3]
Members
23,718 posts
21,154 battles

With the upcoming release of RU BBs, I'm kind of bothered, actually.  The "Flavor" WG gave RU BBs is that their gunnery improves the closer they get, and their forward protection and deck protection is strong.  They have to be careful with some having tall citadels, i.e. Tier IX Sovetsky Soyuz, who Flamu described having a tall citadel and easy to delete if not careful.

Roma is a lot of those same characteristics.  Great forward protection, worthless long range gunnery, exposed citadel that will get you deleted if not careful.  Yet her gunnery doesn't get better as the distance closes, it's just trollish.  I mean, even the guys that love Roma cannot argue the fact that the gunnery is trollish on her.

Yet here we get the RU BBs, with improving gunnery as the range closes while Roma's guns will remain wild at all ranges.

Let me say this.  I don't mind Roma's tall citadel.  But at least make her gunnery be good for something, SOMEWHERE, other than scattering into the 4 winds.  The Secondaries are garbage, not even IFHE can save these things, as well as the short range.  So can WG ***at least*** improve main gun accuracy some?

Two other examples of Tier VIII BBs with troubled gunnery:

Bismarck - At least she has Mega Secondaries.

Tirpitz - She has Mega Secondaries on top of torpedoes.

Offensively, Roma has nothing but very troubled main batteries.  The shells are fine.  It's the wonky guns.  And she has no teeth anywhere else.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,410 posts
6,518 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

With the upcoming release of RU BBs, I'm kind of bothered, actually.  The "Flavor" WG gave RU BBs is that their gunnery improves the closer they get, and their forward protection and deck protection is strong.  They have to be careful with some having tall citadels, i.e. Tier IX Sovetsky Soyuz, who Flamu described having a tall citadel and easy to delete if not careful. 

Roma is a lot of those same characteristics.  Great forward protection, worthless long range gunnery, exposed citadel that will get you deleted if not careful.  Yet her gunnery doesn't get better as the distance closes, it's just trollish.  I mean, even the guys that love Roma cannot argue the fact that the gunnery is trollish on her.

Not gonna lie, I hoped the Deep Water Radar (or whatever you wanna call it) would've stuck so the RM BBs could just be generally good without a silly gimmick. Now they're direct competitors. And yes, the guns can be trolly.

[UN1]
Members
831 posts
2,930 battles

Three tricks I've learned to playing the Roma well and maximizing your contribution:

1. Embrace the minimum engagement distance.  Learned this from iChase.  Roma's best engagement distance is 12-21km.  It's the only BB where you actually want your target further away from you.  Use discretion, of course.  Below that distance, the Roma's shells are too flat and too high velocity.  Further out, the shells have lost some of their muzzle velocity and are beginning to angle downward, which increases the chance of hitting (and staying) inside a citadel.
  2. Embrace the spotter plane.  Roma's range is very poor, but it's extreme muzzle velocity makes for hitting targets at max range really easy.  And at that range, shells stay inside the citadel very nicely.  I tend to get a lot of damage in the first 2-3 minutes of the game just from doing this, and it effectively keeps enemy BB's out of the picture for a while.
  3. Managed expectation; expect overpens.  If you playing the Roma expecting it to overpen, then you won't get so frustrated when it does. 

iChase's video really helped me.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
1,524 battles

I defy anyone who says Roma isn't a gorgeous ship. She has great lines, good aesthetic, and just looks like a BB should. Beautiful ship, if not the most beautiful in the game.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,492 posts
11,965 battles
On 4/11/2019 at 10:53 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yet here we get the RU BBs, with improving gunnery as the range closes while Roma's guns will remain wild at all ranges.

Let me say this.  I don't mind Roma's tall citadel.  But at least make her gunnery be good for something, SOMEWHERE, other than scattering into the 4 winds.  The Secondaries are garbage, not even IFHE can save these things, as well as the short range.  So can WG ***at least*** improve main gun accuracy some?

Two other examples of Tier VIII BBs with troubled gunnery:

Bismarck - At least she has Mega Secondaries.

Tirpitz - She has Mega Secondaries on top of torpedoes.

Offensively, Roma has nothing but very troubled main batteries.  The shells are fine.  It's the wonky guns.  And she has no teeth anywhere else.

Many Russian and Italian guns and even some of their ships have one thing in common.

They were designed in Italy, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they will have similar characteristics.

With what little I've sailed non-premium Russian BB's, I find their guns to be just as trollish as Roma's.

[L0B0S]
Members
49 posts
13,670 battles

The ship is bad and needs improvement, WG wanted to do it exactly the same historically, but if we talk about doing something historical, it has no logic with all the nerves and buff they have done, it seems an offense that this aesthetically beautiful boat is so bad option to play, only you get white and green gray hair, and If I have more than 600,000 experience playing with it, but I only do it for the credits.

that the only thing that can be used is to go ram others because their bullets do not work. how to say it ? am ... am ... an empty shell that does not hurt, and if I have had a good game but they are counted ... that does not mean that the boat is good ... if not the player, anyway if I They would give me an option to return the money with pleasure I would accept it.

[DBRIS]
Members
449 posts
9,007 battles

I happen to like the way Roma looks, I also like playing it. Keep bow on as much as possible. Those guns WILL destroy a broadside anything. The dispersion can be annoying, but speed, maneuver, & stealth makes it so much fun to cruise around in. 

[WOLF3]
Members
23,718 posts
21,154 battles
On 7/11/2019 at 8:20 PM, SgtBeltfed said:

Many Russian and Italian guns and even some of their ships have one thing in common.

They were designed in Italy, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they will have similar characteristics.

With what little I've sailed non-premium Russian BB's, I find their guns to be just as trollish as Roma's.

The caveat with RU BB gunnery is it gets a lot more reliable the closer you get, in particular around the 14km and lower ranges.  Sure, BB RNG is going to troll you every now and then, but even a DD has to think twice if it thinks on getting super close to a RU BB that's ready to receive it.  The amount of hits they can do with the closer range is quite high.

Members
4 posts
499 battles

Honestly in terms of characteristics from my limited experience so far if feels pretty similar to the GC in terms of being fairly maneuverable, stealthy, and oddly durable at times. Plus similar gun characteristics in terms of being flat and fairly high velocity. They both share fairly mediocre AA ability. The biggest difference to me is the Roma doesn't get the favorable MM that the GC does.  Also I tend to either angle towards or away from my opponents to get all guns on target as they have pretty decent firing arcs.