You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Does Roma Have Depth Charges or Mines on board?

13 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles

Just was looking over Roma and noticed some good sized metal cylinders on racks angled to roll into the water on the aft deck. Any idea what those are? 

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles

I don't see them. There are four aft firing tubes at the rear with solid bases suggesting propulsion of... what? ASW sonar buoys,, nets? BBs don't generally lay mines or deploy depth charges. None of the aft deck photos I looked at show these four tubes.

:Edit: OK you must be talking about the two cylinders at the extreme aft on either side of the flag pole. No idea, Not depth charges.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
26 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I don't see them. There are four aft firing tubes at the rear with solid bases suggesting propulsion of... what? ASW sonar buoys,, nets? BBs don't generally lay mines or deploy depth charges. None of the aft deck photos I looked at show these four tubes.

:Edit: OK you must be talking about the two cylinders at the extreme aft on either side of the flag pole. No idea, Not depth charges.

Yeah they are located where the main deck drops down to the catapult deck.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,351 posts
18,160 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Just was looking over Roma and noticed some good sized metal cylinders on racks angled to roll into the water on the aft deck. Any idea what those are? 

You have too much time on your hands if your looking to get depth charge hints on ships Thrawn.

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

Pasta cookers... obviously

How else would you feed a boat full of Iralian sailors!

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,177 posts
13,358 battles

They sure do look like depth charges and they are obviously designed to be dropped overboard. I can find no reference to them though.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,492 posts
11,965 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Avgas stowage for the spotter planes or Gasoline for boats. In combat you'd cut the straps holding them in the rack and they'd fall overboard, removing the fire hazard. They're too big to be depth charges. Royal Navy ships did the same thing with petrol for the ships boats, HMS Hood had dumped her barrels near the outbreak of the war.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

You have too much time on your hands if your looking to get depth charge hints on ships Thrawn.

Lol just looking over Roma carefully while she is in the tech tree shop, not like I own her so was looking the ship over in port just in case she leaves the in game tech tree. Been doing WWII research into the Italian Navy and having high quality 3D ship to look over is rather nice while doing that. Just happened to notice those cylinders today, which led to the question in this thread.

I have a deep love of history as well as knowing how things work, and taking notice of even small details can bring greater understanding as well as often some good stories behind things. :fish_book:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,351 posts
18,160 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol just looking over Roma carefully while she is in the tech tree shop, not like I own her so was looking the ship over in port just in case she leaves the in game tech tree. Been doing WWII research into the Italian Navy and having high quality 3D ship to look over is rather nice while doing that. Just happened to notice those cylinders today, which led to the question in this thread.

I have a deep love of history as well as knowing how things work, and taking notice of even small details can bring greater understanding as well as often some good stories behind things. :fish_book:

I am a WWII aviation buff.

Followed by WWII tanks.

Followed by fighter jets.

The only interest I have in ships, is how an individual ship acted in war.

I got into ships because the meta of WOT surpassed my fun.

I got into ships in closed beta and have forced myself to stay in tune with the changes so I'm not left behind. 

NOTE: understanding the game, the technique and how to's doesn't mean I can implement it in a match....

Knowing how I messed up is hindsight,  I seriously lack enough foresight to be unicom.

As for the Italian ships of WWII,  they are the sexiest ships ever. Fortunately for the allies the French and Italian navies were not allowed to flex their muscle and show the world their full potential. 

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I am a WWII aviation buff.

Followed by WWII tanks.

Followed by fighter jets.

The only interest I have in ships, is how an individual ship acted in war.

I got into ships because the meta of WOT surpassed my fun.

I got into ships in closed beta and have forced myself to stay in tune with the changes so I'm not left behind. 

NOTE: understanding the game, the technique and how to's doesn't mean I can implement it in a match....

Knowing how I messed up is hindsight,  I seriously lack enough foresight to be unicom.

As for the Italian ships of WWII,  they are the sexiest ships ever. Fortunately for the allies the French and Italian navies were not allowed to flex their muscle and show the world their full potential. 

So no interest in WWI aviation? And if you love aviation how did you not recognize the Aviation fuel containers on the Roma? :Smile_trollface:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
5,351 posts
18,160 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So no interest in WWI aviation? And if you love aviation how did you not recognize the Aviation fuel containers on the Roma? :Smile_trollface:

Yes I had some interest in early aviation,  but not a passion for such beauties as the P47, corsair or A26.

Honestly I am more interested in getting an anti sub heli on my Republique than aviation facilities on the Roma.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,975 posts
7,890 battles

She wouldn‘t be the only capital ship with depth charges. During her trials Tirpitz carred two depth charge racks, and also used them.

2F241FF8-C9F9-4D1C-B74B-1BC76EF56E2C.thumb.jpeg.5e10e36384e18aa9493e6edbecf11fac.jpeg

Needless to say they were deemed impractical, and were removed.