You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Midway's HVAR Sort of Suck

12 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,023 posts

Thought I'd try the HVAR instead of the Tiny Tims on the Midway. It turned out to be a big mistake. Not only is the aiming reticle way out in front, farther usually than you can even spot a ship, the dispersion is so great as to make the rockets highly inaccurate. Then, when they do hit they do a laughable amount of damage. Seriously, I believe that hand grenades or .50 caliber machine guns would do more damage.

78 hits out of 240 rockets =  33% hit ratio, which isn't all that bad but 18,277 damage out of 78 hits = 234 damage per rocket average.

Only one fire too.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,099 battles

you can thank the DD mafia for it,now they have to survive against TBD destroyer dive bombers.

more durable

easier to aim and hit

just as dangerous as 8.0 rockets.

they will cry again.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
1,673 posts
10,218 battles

What were you trying to hit with them?   I actually quite like the ones on the lexi.  Vs non tier 10 CVs, you can do 10-15k with them.  I can get 5-7k usually vs cruisers.  DDs are about 2-5k.  BBs it varies.  Usually i aim for the superstructer, but that tends to be saturated.  Add in hitting turrets, armor belts, and the thicker BBs decks can mitigate a lot of the damage.  DBs and TBs are better vs BBs.   These are just in a single pass.  Not counting doing 180s for a second or third run.  

[K0]
Members
1,748 posts
7,493 battles

And to think the IJN CVs have to use a similar kind of rocket with no choice in the matter. And British rocket planes are just weird.

Tiny Tims are far and away the best rockets in the game.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,023 posts
6 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Tiny Tims are far and away the best rockets in the game.

Not to mention the coolest looking ones.

0Gr0tC4pvLRjSYzvCmwgNyNsqAPGX0u-OavUgbfx

Edited by Snargfargle

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,761 posts
11,070 battles
56 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Thought I'd try the HVAR instead of the Tiny Tims on the Midway. It turned out to be a big mistake. Not only is the aiming reticle way out in front, farther usually than you can even spot a ship, the dispersion is so great as to make the rockets highly inaccurate. Then, when they do hit they do a laughable amount of damage. Seriously, I believe that hand grenades or .50 caliber machine guns would do more damage.

78 hits out of 240 rockets =  33% hit ratio, which isn't all that bad but 18,277 damage out of 78 hits = 234 damage per rocket average.

Only one fire too.

It'll always be about player preference, but once you get used to them and how they work, HVAR's can actually be very good, I've taken 10k+ off BB's in single strikes. Yugumo I hit the other day with HVAR's off Lex (same thing just 2 less rockets per plane) was taking an average over 520 damage per hit. Reticle is a case of playing with throttle against targets like DD's, that aren't something like gearing, and trying to minimize hard dodges against others - the nerf to accuracy is a pain, and more an issue vs non-DD's than DD's, making it pointless and ineffective, but can be accommodated for. The aim point I think may be a bug how far out it is (don't remember it being that bad) but personally I ignore it as it's not accurate to where the run starts or really ends - just start my attack run about 4km+ out. 

But that's me - your mileage and enjoyment may vary.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,213 posts
13,144 battles

I don't know why you would use something different than Tiny Sim. They're just too good

[USCC2]
Members
5,329 posts
2 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

you can thank the DD mafia for it,now they have to survive against TBD destroyer dive bombers.

more durable

easier to aim and hit

just as dangerous as 8.0 rockets.

they will cry again.

The DD is the worst surviving ship in game - not because the DD Mafia say so, but because the millions of games across all servers provide the evidence to show it.

The Mafia lol - the worst ship on average since the game started and yet apparently some scary entity. I would be more impressed if they didn't have that worst damage, worst survival and worst rewards in game - but hey 'Mafia' and 'Influential' are the positives that make all those facts disappear! :Smile_smile:

Anyway, the rockets. Of course they do poor damage - when CVs first came out the rockets were the things that 'destroyed DDs'. CV players flocked to them (I know I did when I wanted to kill a DD). But if they were too good - and after the first change WG made improved AA and made the DDs the only viable target - then of course they had to change. If they didn't, the worst survival rate would become even worse.

However, all this infighting between the CV and DDs, when they are probably the worst ships to play at the moment has convinced me of one thing, neither belong in game - the CV will not be allowed to be great - the DD stats speak for themselves. They both have been shown their place and if you can't live with it tough! Either play another ship type or leave the game.

• Boring 1

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

I like the HVARs on the Lexington and Enterprise, but the much-fatter aiming reticle for the Midway's HVARs kinda ruin them for me. I don't really like Tiny Tims, but I used them anyway on the Midway because the HVAR dispersion is just frustrating. Just one of the several things that just makes the Midway feel awkward and clunky compared to the Lexington, and why I prefer the latter ship.

[U571]
Members
2,119 posts
14,110 battles
1 hour ago, Frenotx said:

I like the HVARs on the Lexington and Enterprise, but the much-fatter aiming reticle for the Midway's HVARs kinda ruin them for me. I don't really like Tiny Tims, but I used them anyway on the Midway because the HVAR dispersion is just frustrating. Just one of the several things that just makes the Midway feel awkward and clunky compared to the Lexington, and why I prefer the latter ship.

Enterprise all you get are the HVARs they are okay, Sexy Lexi I prefer the TIny Tims.

[STURM]
[STURM]
Members
56 posts
9,595 battles
5 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

The DD is the worst surviving ship in game - not because the DD Mafia say so, but because the millions of games across all servers provide the evidence to show it.

The Mafia lol - the worst ship on average since the game started and yet apparently some scary entity. I would be more impressed if they didn't have that worst damage, worst survival and worst rewards in game - but hey 'Mafia' and 'Influential' are the positives that make all those facts disappear! :Smile_smile:

[snip]

However, all this infighting between the CV and DDs, when they are probably the worst ships to play at the moment has convinced me of one thing, neither belong in game - the CV will not be allowed to be great - the DD stats speak for themselves. They both have been shown their place and if you can't live with it tough! Either play another ship type or leave the game.

I gotta ask, since apparently nobody else will, exactly which world do you live on?  While you're right that DDs do the lowest damage and have the lowest survival rate you're completely wrong in thinking that matters even among the general population and even more wrong about CVs.  In the last 1 week, for example, win rates at high tiers for the four servers look like this:

Asia: CA 50.49; BB 50.39; CV 50.22; DD 50.19.

NA: CV 50.41; CA 50.23; DD 50.21; BB 50.09.

EU: CV 50.83; DD & CA 50.28; BB 50.05.

CIS: CV 50.80; CA 50.14; DD 50.13; BB 50.06

Your millions of games of evidence show that DDs very nearly perfectly match cruisers across the board, with CVs being above and away the best performers.  The only exception is the Asian server where the meta is much more restrained play, giving an edge to damage slingers (Asia also has the highest survival rates to support this).

There may or may not be issues, but them's the facts, man.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
5,329 posts
1 hour ago, Sturmgrunder said:

I gotta ask, since apparently nobody else will, exactly which world do you live on?  While you're right that DDs do the lowest damage and have the lowest survival rate you're completely wrong in thinking that matters even among the general population and even more wrong about CVs.  In the last 1 week, for example, win rates at high tiers for the four servers look like this:

Asia: CA 50.49; BB 50.39; CV 50.22; DD 50.19.

NA: CV 50.41; CA 50.23; DD 50.21; BB 50.09.

EU: CV 50.83; DD & CA 50.28; BB 50.05.

CIS: CV 50.80; CA 50.14; DD 50.13; BB 50.06

Your millions of games of evidence show that DDs very nearly perfectly match cruisers across the board, with CVs being above and away the best performers.  The only exception is the Asian server where the meta is much more restrained play, giving an edge to damage slingers (Asia also has the highest survival rates to support this).

There may or may not be issues, but them's the facts, man.

:Smile_amazed:  I live in the world where WR for a ship type will generally be equal because the MM usually gives each team equal ship types in the line up.

This generally means that for every DD that wins, one will register a loss; the same with every other ship type. Maybe if you were looking at individual ships your argument may hold merit regarding WR, but your logic is somewhat flawed here because you are arguing a point no one has actually said anything about (because it is so simple to understand - for most!).

Although I think you were trying to make a point, as Inigo Montoya may have said: “When you quote the WR. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

I'm happy to try and understand the point you were trying to make - if you are aware of that point yourself?