You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xPapa_Smurfx

Hey WG, the X in the middle of the aim point is where the bombs/rockets are supposed to go

22 comments in this topic

Members
306 posts
4,777 battles

Twice tonight, I completely outlined the Jutland with my rockets and did ZERO damage with a reasonably sized aim circle.  Not the smallest it goes, but more than small enough to expect to get a hit!  WG, that can't happen.  At least one rocket and or bomb has to land in or very, very near the X in the aiming reticle.

It's just plain time to un-nerf the rockets.  Late game DDs are invulnerable to them.  Early game, sure, you will get a hit with the rockets, but your team mates will squash the DD.  Not so much late game, and I just took a full health Hakuryu up against a full health Jutland and lost.  He never hit me with torps, just guns, because I couldn't land enough hits with the rockets to make a difference after three full health attack squadrons tried.  The biggest problem, nothing goes where the X is.

• Cool 2

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles

Welcome to every ship with terrible dispersion ever. Can't tell you how many times my Yamato shells landed all around a target without touching them.....

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,880 posts
7,126 battles
12 minutes ago, xPapa_Smurfx said:

Twice tonight, I completely outlined the Jutland with my rockets and did ZERO damage with a reasonably sized aim circle.  Not the smallest it goes, but more than small enough to expect to get a hit!  WG, that can't happen.  At least one rocket and or bomb has to land in or very, very near the X in the aiming reticle.

It's just plain time to un-nerf the rockets.  Late game DDs are invulnerable to them.  Early game, sure, you will get a hit with the rockets, but your team mates will squash the DD.  Not so much late game, and I just took a full health Hakuryu up against a full health Jutland and lost.  He never hit me with torps, just guns, because I couldn't land enough hits with the rockets to make a difference after three full health attack squadrons tried.  The biggest problem, nothing goes where the X is.

I agree with you on unnerving rockets, bur guaranteeing hits on every shot would be a really dangerous path for WG to take when it comes to game balance.

Members
339 posts
5,488 battles

Are you using rudder (A and D) to make adjustments? They throw off your aim so that it doesn't match the reticle.

If you calmly use your mouse (and only your mouse) to aim, you should be able to consistently land rockets, especially if you shoot across the length of the DD rather than coming in from the side. You also have to account for the travel time.

The size of the reticle represents your potential dispersion, the tighter the better. With the best possible reticle, it should be relatively easy to hit DDs.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
6,127 battles

Had the same thing happen earlier with my Jean Bart... Versus a Richelieu. At 8km. My shells did part and make a very nice Richelieu-shaped hole for him to sail through.

On the other hand though, it's kind of hilarious to knock out a module on a destroyer with a salvo of HE that landed zero hits.

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,773 battles
3 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Welcome to every ship with terrible dispersion ever. Can't tell you how many times my Yamato shells landed all around a target without touching them.....

Uh... Yamato has fantastic dispersion...

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles
Just now, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

And yet..... 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,773 battles
1 minute ago, Landsraad said:

Had the same thing happen earlier with my Jean Bart... Versus a Richelieu. At 8km. My shells did part and make a very nice Richelieu-shaped hole for him to sail through.

On the other hand though, it's kind of hilarious to knock out a module on a destroyer with a salvo of HE that landed zero hits.

Probably had a dozen of those hits tonight. I take solace in the fact that I incapacitated their module. Otherwise I would go something something.

[SOV]
Members
3,464 posts
12 minutes ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Probably had a dozen of those hits tonight. I take solace in the fact that I incapacitated their module. Otherwise I would go something something.

There is a bug there to. I get a ton of moduals taken out but no icon to show what.

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,773 battles
21 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

And yet..... 

You have to be shooting from pretty far to get 0 hits from the Yamato or it's user error. Not trying to be a prick but Yamato is pretty F'n accurate. Unless you have the devil's own luck. Which is how I feel in the Hindenberg. Can't hit anything or win a match despite the fact that I can tell the ship is good, Maybe you gave that going on.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles
12 minutes ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

You have to be shooting from pretty far to get 0 hits from the Yamato or it's user error. Not trying to be a prick but Yamato is pretty F'n accurate. Unless you have the devil's own luck. Which is how I feel in the Hindenberg. Can't hit anything or win a match despite the fact that I can tell the ship is good, Maybe you gave that going on.

Fire enough salvo's and you're bound to get a few that don't land where you want them too.

[FBXGC]
Members
386 posts
2,773 battles
6 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Fire enough salvo's and you're bound to get a few that don't land where you want them too.

Fair enough. I love the Yamato. But I know the Hindy is good and am F'n terrible in her so it is what it is.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles
1 minute ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Fair enough. I love the Yamato. But I know the Hindy is good and am F'n terrible in her so it is what it is.

Had a game the other day where I was dunking on Cruisers 20km away, but broadside Yammy at 14km..   couldn't do a thing to scratch it it seemed.

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
1 hour ago, Kevik70 said:

1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

Bracket Nation rise up

if I had a doubloon for every salvo that surrounded the target but achieved no hits I could afford a permacamo for all my favorite ships

[JMMAF]
Members
1,896 posts
6,331 battles
12 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Had a game the other day where I was dunking on Cruisers 20km away, but broadside Yammy at 14km..   couldn't do a thing to scratch it it seemed.

and so it shall be, working as intended, until you are in a yammie, and nobody misses. from any range. and none of the hits are for zero points. and they start fires too. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,773 posts
11,096 battles

Part of the problem though is when the rockets do go on the X, or you've figured out the approximation of how far they will be off most likely - and do start scoring hits. Case in point even with the nerf the other day with Lex - first pass 8 hits, second pass, which I botched with a massive aim circle, 3 hits, 3rd run 8 hits again. Damage saturation or 0 damage pens lowered my damage to just over 10k to a Yugumo, who also had his engine completely shot out and was a sitting duck. A group from Hak fires 18 rockets that deal just over 1100 damage when they pen - and gets 3 passes. A group from Midway with HVAR's deals 660 per hit, firing 30 per pass, with 3 passes. Both are firing off 19800 damage, per pass. 

Wargaming had 2 options, and still has 2 options. Option 1 which is what they went with, and it was relatively ineffective, was to nerf the accuracy. This hurt IJN a bit more than USN, and hurt CV's more against non-DD's than DD's. Really all you need to do is play with throttle to dodge most DD AA. Option 2 is nerf the alpha damage which even as a CV player I make no bones about my opinion this is what they should have done, maybe just up the fire chance a bit to make up for it. They want to undo the accuracy nerf, they have to lower damage, especially if were talking near guarantee hit levels. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,594 posts
13,598 battles
8 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

8 hours ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Um.. yeah. Two consecutive salvos at a broadside Alaska at under 6km yesterday.  Overpens and misses. Jump in Hindy. Had a GK smack me through the nose at over 15k for +20k on consecutive volleys....

Some days are just gonna be painful.

[WOLFG]
Members
26,748 posts
6,780 battles
8 hours ago, harikari25 said:

especially if you shoot across the length of the DD rather than coming in from the side. 

I don't think that matters much with the IJN rocket reticle being a circle.

IMO, where IJN really suffers vs. DDs is the lack of HE DBs. It might be better if they were an option, to be chosen in port.

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

I find its best to think of shooting the water on just the othwrside of the DD. With the roughly forward pointing vector of the rockets a shallow angle line will allow your rockwts a greater chance of hitting since you aimed all your rockets THROUGH the DD, not at the water it will be passing on. 

The aiming templates for aircraft are inaccurate in a lot of ways, its best to think of the rough physics of your ammo as it travels and gain intuition for where your plane ordanance is actually aiming, I had better results doing this once I ignored the target reticles

[NG-NL]
Members
6,049 posts
9,696 battles

Guaranteeing a well-aimed DB/rocket volley gets at least 1 hit would be an excellent change. I've had occasions already in Haku and Midway where did an excellent aim w/ DB and none hit.

Not asking for incredible damage, just some consistency. DB and rocket planes can only do a couple attacks normally before AA wipes out the rest.

[SYN]
Members
15,543 posts
12,778 battles

you usually have to lead the aim ever so slightly ahead of where they are going