You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ScottMeisterheim

Exeter 3-Kill Mission

38 comments in this topic

Members
88 posts
3,815 battles

So, I'm wrapping up the 3rd stage of the Exeter missions and took another peek at the final stage.  The Achievements mission will be challenging, but I think I have some strategies in mind for approaching it.  But the other one that stands out is Part 3: get 3 kills one game.  Now, for good players, this one is probably trivial.  And to be sure, even a middling player like me has plenty of 3-kill games under his belt.  But I don't get them so frequently that I can take it for granted that I'll get one inside 2-3 days.  And I might not have that long if I struggle on the Achievements mission and the grindy Part 2 (750,000 damage.)  So I need to do whatever I can to stack the odds in my favor.

What, then, are the best strategies for ensuring a 3-kill game?

I'm thinking that my best bet is clearly cruisers.  BBs suffer from a slow reload and turret traverse, which makes it harder to switch fire to low-health targets.  DDs torpedoes are also slow to reload, and they can't attack at long ranges, limiting their choice of targets.  Cruisers, by contrast, are ideal for kill stealing.  The problem is, other players will be simultaneously attempting this task, so low-health targets will get focused even more intensely than normal.

I've been playing more co-op over the past couple of days than usual, in order to complete the 20-torpedo and 1000-main battery hits tasks, and I think I only achieved 3 kills one time.  I would say, at least in this very limited sample size, my frequency of 3-kill games was even lower in co-op than it has been in randoms.  And maybe there is something to that, as co-op games typically involve fewer ships in the same maps, so a comparatively target-poorer environment.  On the other hand, I wasn't trying to farm kills in those games, and I can probably get through two co-op games in the time it takes to complete one random, so I suspect all things considered co-op would be the way to go, but I'm not certain about this.

Thoughts?

[NMKJT]
Members
4,063 posts

I'm not doing the mission so take this with a dose of salt, but I would play a DD in co-op. Use the high alpha strike of torpedoes. I would use my Harekaze, get to one of the cap circles, nail the DD with my 100 mm main guns, torp  the cruiser nearby, and then go hunting for my third target. Either picking off the low health with main guns or assassinating a BB with torps.

The main guns of a gunboat are well suited to taking out low health targets due to high rate of fire or dots. 

[K0]
Members
1,750 posts
7,514 battles

If it's available in co-op, then DDs are your best bet. Find a way to gun down an enemy DD, then use your torps to rack up two more kills.

• Cool 1

[KRAB]
Members
879 posts
7,323 battles

Play Co-Op in a Light Cruiser or Gunboat DD and just DPS down the bots. If you wait until a teammate has aggro you should get 3 kills within a few games depending on deployment. 

[TARK]
Members
575 posts
17 minutes ago, ScottMeisterheim said:

So, I'm wrapping up the 3rd stage of the Exeter missions and took another peek at the final stage.  The Achievements mission will be challenging, but I think I have some strategies in mind for approaching it.  But the other one that stands out is Part 3: get 3 kills one game.  Now, for good players, this one is probably trivial.  And to be sure, even a middling player like me has plenty of 3-kill games under his belt.  But I don't get them so frequently that I can take it for granted that I'll get one inside 2-3 days.  And I might not have that long if I struggle on the Achievements mission and the grindy Part 2 (750,000 damage.)  So I need to do whatever I can to stack the odds in my favor.

What, then, are the best strategies for ensuring a 3-kill game?

I'm thinking that my best bet is clearly cruisers.  BBs suffer from a slow reload and turret traverse, which makes it harder to switch fire to low-health targets.  DDs torpedoes are also slow to reload, and they can't attack at long ranges, limiting their choice of targets.  Cruisers, by contrast, are ideal for kill stealing.  The problem is, other players will be simultaneously attempting this task, so low-health targets will get focused even more intensely than normal.

I've been playing more co-op over the past couple of days than usual, in order to complete the 20-torpedo and 1000-main battery hits tasks, and I think I only achieved 3 kills one time.  I would say, at least in this very limited sample size, my frequency of 3-kill games was even lower in co-op than it has been in randoms.  And maybe there is something to that, as co-op games typically involve fewer ships in the same maps, so a comparatively target-poorer environment.  On the other hand, I wasn't trying to farm kills in those games, and I can probably get through two co-op games in the time it takes to complete one random, so I suspect all things considered co-op would be the way to go, but I'm not certain about this.

Thoughts?

Its lame, but just play a bot game and "Kill Steal".

Just did the 15 kill mission in 4 games.  Not contributing to the team.  Not playing for anyone else but for the mission.  I wouldn't do this in randoms, as it would lead to a loss (or at least not help a win), but against bots its cake.  

One of the games was 10k damage for 5 kills... lame.  I know.  But so are these missions.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,316 posts
16,319 battles

The Exeter Missions are asking for a lot of effort for just a Tier 5 Cruiser. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles

DD with lots of torps, just charge straight in in a co-op match.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,923 posts
7,591 battles

It's not in one battle.  It's "in battles", just like the rest of the achievements in part 4.   The previous one is get 750,000 damage "in battles". 

exeter.jpg

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,350 posts
18,156 battles

Cossak.

Did entire stage 3 requirements in coop, 4 hours.

1000 hits... 15 torp hits and 15 kills....

[FML]
Members
3,315 posts
14,008 battles
2 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

The Exeter Missions are asking for a lot of effort for just a Tier 5 Cruiser. 

I don’t think so. Sure, some are more Grundy than others, but for the most part you don’t need to do anything ‘special’ like get a double strike, kraken and solo warrior only in a win. They are just get XP, kills, damage etc over multiple battles that you should be done my if you are grinding the line anyway. 

[ARGSY]
Members
16,476 posts
11,306 battles
8 hours ago, ScottMeisterheim said:

But the other one that stands out is Part 3: get 3 kills one game. 

No. As others have said, it's over any number of battles. However:

1) It's possible to do in co-op. Three kills in co-op is not actually all that difficult.

2) It's restricted to British ships between Tier 6 and 8, but not carriers. @Wombatmetal, your Harekaze just won't cut it, alas.

[PVE]
Members
19,581 posts
11,899 battles
On 3/17/2019 at 1:08 AM, DouglasMacAwful said:

It's not in one battle.  It's "in battles", just like the rest of the achievements in part 4.   The previous one is get 750,000 damage "in battles". 

exeter.jpg

That was in the Article from the Calendar from Feb 28th. The article on the mission itself is this, from Mar 1st.

Tq1qv7p.jpg

Here is the actual mission from the game and it is one battle, but it is doable in co-op.

KTyay93.jpg

BTW, they removed co-op from the 7 achievements mission.

OCHeEOr.jpg

Members
27 posts
2,066 battles

The grind for a $30 ship is just ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

That was in the Article from the Calendar from Feb 28th. The article on the mission itself is this, from Mar 1st.

Tq1qv7p.jpg

Here is the actual mission from the game and it is one battle, but it is doable in co-op.

KTyay93.jpg

BTW, they removed co-op from the 7 achievements mission.

OCHeEOr.jpg

The WoWS Web site STILL says CoOp.

Members
88 posts
3,815 battles

Well I got the 7 achievements in just 5 battles with the Nelson, so that was easier than expected.

Still stuck on the 3 kills, though.  Trying with Leander in co-op, but no luck thus far.  Too aggressive and I die too fast.  Too passive and other players get the kills.

[CLARE]
Members
565 posts
10 minutes ago, ScottMeisterheim said:

Well I got the 7 achievements in just 5 battles with the Nelson, so that was easier than expected.

Still stuck on the 3 kills, though.  Trying with Leander in co-op, but no luck thus far.  Too aggressive and I die too fast.  Too passive and other players get the kills.

The key for coop is to be in a game where you ARE NOT bottom tier.  If you are in a game and you see a bunch of t7 and 8, you will likely fail so try to steal kills.

In equal tier game:  In coop use Leander like a destroyer.  Rush forward.  Bleed speed (hard manual turn) and smoke up at the same time (maybe maneuver a little in the smoke).  You are now broadside and in smoke.  Start shooting red dd.  That is your first kill.  By the time you are done with red dd, red cruiser should be close enough for citadel hits (I assume you know how to do citadel hits), you may need to launch torps on one side to help/finish red cruiser.  By the time you are done with red cruiser, you smoke timer should be up.  Now either maneuver and citadel shoot second red cruiser, and line up torps on your other side.  Or rush a bb.  If bb is whole, you will need torps on both sides (I hope you invested in fast torp reload skill on your captain).  If bb is damaged, you might get away with launching torps from one side, but be prepared (check reload timer) to turn and launch torps from other side.

If you have Fiji, use Fiji.  It got more gun tubes.

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,172 posts
24,775 battles

I just finished the Exeter missions.  Getting 3 kills.....I did it with Cossack in coop, but got extremely lucky with the positioning and execution. It took me awhile.   This particular part of the mission is not easy.   Once you get it though, the 20 cits is nothing to do.  I also saw some folks using Edinburgh in coop and getting 3 kills.  They charged up and let the guns and torps blaze away.  For 3 kills, it is just about the right battle and timing.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
On 3/17/2019 at 7:15 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No. As others have said, it's over any number of battles. However:

1) It's possible to do in co-op. Three kills in co-op is not actually all that difficult.

2) It's restricted to British ships between Tier 6 and 8, but not carriers. @Wombatmetal, your Harekaze just won't cut it, alas.

No, it's one game.  They changed it.

That said OP, I did mine in Co-op.   I'd look to the Fiji and Leander.  Battleships can work too, if you can use AP and angle well.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
6 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

I just finished the Exeter missions.  Getting 3 kills.....I did it with Cossack in coop, but got extremely lucky with the positioning and execution. It took me awhile.   This particular part of the mission is not easy.   Once you get it though, the 20 cits is nothing to do.  I also saw some folks using Edinburgh in coop and getting 3 kills.  They charged up and let the guns and torps blaze away.  For 3 kills, it is just about the right battle and timing.

That's how I did it in co-op with my fiji.  Get in close, as fast as possible and start slinging shells and torps.

[CLARE]
Members
565 posts
5 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

No, it's one game.  They changed it.

That said OP, I did mine in Co-op.   I'd look to the Fiji and Leander.  Battleships can work too, if you can use AP and angle well.

Actually.  Was checking things out two days ago and I came across two game news articles where it was listed both ways.  Give me a few minutes and I will get links and screen shots.

Edited by ij70

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
4 minutes ago, ij70 said:

Actually.  Was checking things out two days ago and I came across two game news articles where it was listed both ways.  Give me a few minutes and I will get links and screen shots.

I did it so far on two different accounts.  All three kills had to be in the same game.  Unfortunately, that's how it worked for me.

Edited by crzyhawk

[CLARE]
Members
565 posts
4 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I did it so far on two different accounts.  All three kills had to be in the same game.  Unfortunately, that's how it worked for me.

Yes, I know. 

But WG made a mistake.  In one article they say: In single battle.  Here is the link to the article and screen shot: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/java-sea/

1711187589_singlebattle.thumb.jpg.9f208e17f5906eac27525f5f0cec2e94.jpg

In another article they say: In battles...  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/march-missions-2019/

1645321983_inbattles.thumb.jpg.689671e1efff733c0ae2190eef582cd4.jpg

So.  Some people read one article.  Other people read second article.  And some other people read both!

:cap_cool:

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles

Yep, I know.  It would have been a lot easier if it was just stack up three over however many battles lol

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
913 posts
10,549 battles

Id alternate between random and co-op. Three has been excellent advise for co-op and the use of a DD. 

Id still take random games for it personally, but its very doable as long as you can mitigate incoming fire

[ARGSY]
Members
16,476 posts
11,306 battles
35 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

, it's one game.  They changed it

Yeah, I saw that later and felt like a bit of a derpmeister, but what can you do? The fact of the changes (both to that and to the seven-achievement condition, finally confirming it as randoms-only) had been done to death already.