Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ocklawaha

Armor-Piercing Internal Ricochets

3 comments in this topic

[SP3AR]
[SP3AR]
Beta Testers
18 posts
5,977 battles

I'm looking for more information on this mechanic. I've heard of this occurring but wrote it off. Then while searching on the WOWS wiki for another stat, I located the following piece of information:

Armor-Piercing Internal Ricochets

An AP shell that ricochets after penetrating armor will cause another instance of penetration damage in the section where the ricochet occurs. Additional ricochets will cause additional instances of penetration damage until the shell exits the ship or explodes from fuse activation.

This extra source of damage is most commonly encountered when shooting at "turtleback" armor schemes (common on all German battleships and other nations' dreadnoughts). Plunging fire that is insufficient to penetrate interior decks may also ricochet, causing one or more extra instances of damage.(http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration)

I'd like to see some discussion and information on this. Here are some of my questions:

1) Does this apply to all AP shells?
2) How does the damage appear in the ribbons and reported in post battle results?
3) What is the damage percentage for the shell ricochet?
4) Layer penetration resulting in a final shatter, overpen or guarantee fuse arm?
5) What is the interaction with modules?

Anything helps and I look forward to any comments or answers. Thanks

• Cool 1

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

I wonder what astounding piece of mathematical calculation WG used to represent the physics involved in this? :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,382 posts

if you shoot AP midway up the funnels from the rear aspect up to ~+-35deg from the centreline of Zao and one or two others, you can generate citadels, as the slope of the lead funnel directs the AP shell down towards the bottom of the B-turret barbette which is only 25mm where it meats the citadel deck, else its enough to penetrate the ~55mm citadel deck further back under the bridge area.

the trick is the AP needs to not arm on vertical 16mm plate x2 (rear funnel), and not overmatch 16mm plate when steeply angled (the slope of the front funnel), which generates a bounce inside the front funnel down towards the 55mm citadel deck/25mm lower B-turret barbette which is steep enough not to auto-bounce on 55mm or 25mm plate, as once the AP shell is captured by the funnel slope it is "inside" the volume of the ship thus obeys the internal ricochet rules.

Edited by b101uk

Sign in to follow this