You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crawfishman

DD cloaked.

16 comments in this topic

[SDU]
Members
1 post
11,158 battles

I just finished a tier 5 game in the Iron Duke. There was a dd that stayed cloaked for at least 10 minutes without being seen. Even though he fired off 5 rounds of torps, the last one taking me out. I am not too familiar with dd's as I don't play them but this does not seem right. Would like some info on this and perhaps some direction on where I can follow up on dd info in this area. Thanks, crawfishman.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,559 posts
14,000 battles
5 minutes ago, crawfishman said:

cloaked

WoWs dont have Kinglon ship that having cloaking device, rather we used un detected/not spotting.

So, i found a link for you to check up

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

And, you can google/youtube for more on line in your own time

[5D]
Members
3,134 posts
19,960 battles

Every ship has a detection range with DD having the smallest. Some at T5 have torpedo ranges in excess of their detection range. So it sounds like you had a very smart DD driver.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,441 posts
33,120 battles

A smart DD driver in an IJN ship at the tier will stalk you unseen for as long as they want.

Fujin and the Kamikaze sisters have a 5.4 km concealment.

Isokaze is 5.3km

They are some of the most dangerous DDs in the game when driven competently.

Seems to me you need to learn their detection ranges, travel with a cruiser to help you and most importantly learn the WASD hack.

[LANCE]
Members
563 posts
4,954 battles

Kamikaze sisters are some of the best as they are extremely good (read OP) premium ship (torpedo boat mainly) owned by many long time players who’ll have high skilled Capts (19 pt).

Concealment on the Iron Duke with camo (-3 %) is 14.5km. Add a (at least) 10pt Capt with concealment expert brings it down to ~13km. My Kamakaze R with 19pt Capt has a detection range of 5.4km. Which means I see you at 13km but you don’t see me until you’re 5.4km from me.

Now add into the mix firing your guns. This makes your detection range 16.8km for 20 seconds. If I fire my guns (max range) it makes my detection range 8.7km. So if I’m in 8.7km range of you and fire my guns, you’ll see me for 20 sec. However, if I’m in smoke and fire, you’ll not see me unless you’re within 2.2km.

So, all that being said, my torp range is 7km. With a detection range of 5.4 km I can stalk you at 6km launching 3 x 2, 68 ktns torps at you without ever being seen as long as I never get within 5.4km of you and can do this every 47 seconds.

Use the Priority Target skill and watch for it going from 1-0-1 in quick succession. This can tell you a DD is stalking you. Don’t sail in a straight line for too long, adjust your speed (this can throw off a DD’s torp aim), watch for smoke clouds, use your mini-map to keep check of where DD’s where last spotted. Entering a cap that’s being captured and you don’t see a ship, chances are it’s a DD so be careful. Watch your “Detected !” warning. Invest in the Capt skill “Vigilence” (3 pt Versatility skill).

Good luck mate! It’s a lot to remember but playing other classes (DD’s for instance) will help you see the counter play!

Edited by Bravo4zero
  • Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
7,973 posts
16,699 battles
45 minutes ago, crawfishman said:

I am not too familiar with dd's as I don't play them

I recommend to try to be  all around cpt and sail all class ships. Hopefully, you can have a greater understanding for their abilities.

They're so many balance issues in the game... You sailing alone without a friendly cruiser to help you is not one of them.

Easy fix, hug your cruisers and you'll be ok.

GL/HF

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,107 posts
1 hour ago, crawfishman said:

I just finished a tier 5 game in the Iron Duke. There was a dd that stayed cloaked for at least 10 minutes without being seen. Even though he fired off 5 rounds of torps, the last one taking me out. I am not too familiar with dd's as I don't play them but this does not seem right. Would like some info on this and perhaps some direction on where I can follow up on dd info in this area. Thanks, crawfishman.

Umm, no, the destroyer did exactly what he was supposed to do. He stayed out of surface detection range so you wouldn't spot him. It took five rounds of torps because they [edited] flooding in the last patch.

Members
2,874 posts
509 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 5:43 PM, crawfishman said:

7K battles..... and you think DDs are cloaked..??? BTW 68 in the NICHOLAS.... not a very stealthy ship  but dam man, how do you not know the detection ranges of the ships you play and play against in a  game you have been playing for aw a while,...

KPcGOMF.gif

On 3/16/2019 at 5:51 PM, 1SneakyDevil said:

Every ship has a detection range with DD having the smallest. Some at T5 have torpedo ranges in excess of their detection range. So it sounds like you had a very smart DD driver.

just to be clear....
7K BATTLES.... and you (OP) did not know about spotting MECHANICS  and DDs???
Really?? you did not do any research for seven THOUSAND battles and came here asking about DDs in ability to be spotted (from a BATTLESHIP) like a battleship???

Edited by Rally_Vincent

Members
2,874 posts
509 battles
3 minutes ago, Capn_Nugget said:

Gremmy too, if I recall it has 8km torps and way less than that for detection.

I think I got my fletcher to 5.6 and Kag to 5.1..... its a lot of fun

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts

7.6k games and you dont know about detection ranges? How did you get so far into the game? Did you buy your account?

Members
48 posts
6,836 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 5:43 PM, crawfishman said:

How's it possible to detect a DD from 15-20km from sighting and mini-map then as you get closer it disappears.  Sometime not detect w/ hydro acoustics on.

Not talking about smoke screen or rock mountains cover -  just open water. 

[WOLFG]
Members
7,809 posts
5,894 battles
2 hours ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

How's it possible to detect a DD from 15-20km from sighting and mini-map then as you get closer it disappears.  Sometime not detect w/ hydro acoustics on.

Not talking about smoke screen or rock mountains cover -  just open water. 

At 15-20km, the DD is being detected by someone else on your team.  If your teammate dies or the DD breaks contact with your teammate, you lose sight of the DD.

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles

It sounds like you were driving alone.  In a tier 5 battleship that means you are food for DDs.  Stick with your cruisers and other ships for mutual support and don't let yourself get isolated.