You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Sweeeet (North) Carolineeee

28 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,565 posts
12,592 battles

Recently started playing the USN T8 U.S.S. North Carolina again. It was kind of lost in the shuffle in my port while grinding up to the T10 Montana. It has been refreshing to say the least. A very fun BB, and really the big leap in the USN BB tech tree line from the T7 Colorado in every aspect. It's like the N.C. makes you go "Ahhh yes!, this is what I endured the T2-T7 grind for!" Very good rudder shift even if not researched for that skill. Better than the Iowa and Montana in that dept. It lets you drift back and forth between the role of BB in T8, to between battleship and battlecruiser in T9 matches, and battlecruiser in T10 matches. mid range to in close brawling it has good dual purpose 2ndaries that are punishing to equal tier and below CV planes. Just a overall fun ship to play. It's fun re-discovering forgotten favourites:crab:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
12,597 posts
22,417 battles
13 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Recently started playing the USN T8 U.S.S. North Carolina again. It was kind of lost in the shuffle in my port while grinding up to the T10 Montana. It has been refreshing to say the least. A very fun BB, and really the big leap in the USN BB tech tree line from the T7 Colorado in every aspect. It's like the N.C. makes you go "Ahhh yes!, this is what I endured the T2-T7 grind for!" Very good rudder shift even if not researched for that skill. Better than the Iowa and Montana in that dept. It lets you drift back and forth between the role of BB in T8, to between battleship and battlecruiser in T9 matches, and battlecruiser in T10 matches. mid range to in close brawling it has good dual purpose 2ndaries that are punishing to equal tier and below CV planes. Just a overall fun ship to play. It's fun re-discovering forgotten favourites:crab:

For me that would be Nicholas.

After Clemson, it was an unbelievable ‘this sucks,’ that was quickly sold and ignored after getting Farragut.

Right before the carrier rework it gained a reprieve because of the flat arcs of the 127/58s, then after the rework, to quote someone who responded to a post of mine, as a destroyer ‘that claws planes from the sky.’

For all I wanted NC way back when I first had South Carolina, I’ve never liked it.

If anything, it suffers because of ‘got it before I should have, sucked in it, and now hate it,’ syndrome.

My DM suffers because of the same thing; I can’t stand it, despite doing decently well in Salem...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,565 posts
12,592 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If anything, it suffers because of ‘got it before I should have, sucked in it, and now hate it,’ syndrome.

I was like that with my Scharnhorst when I won it in a SC very shortly after joining WoW. The Scharn was way out of my league and it reflected when I played it. Now it is my favourite T7 & favourite premium in the game.

15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

My DM suffers because of the same thing; I can’t stand it, despite doing decently well in Salem...

I got the Salem out of the Arsenal with coal because it was a shortcut to the USN T10 CA spot. For me it is win big (less of the time) or go home empty handed with that ship (most of the time). I'm a mediocre cruiser driver with comedy of errors tendencies. I was going to try and pick up the DM however due to limited port slots, me playing the basic account, and economic reasons of it being a premium. It will do the job and can focus resources on the next tech tree grind.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,565 posts
12,592 battles
7 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

TY! That's exactly what I was singing while playing today lol. Had a good run while simu-launching with the clan.

Still out of upvotes, but +1 to ya! :cap_like::Smile_honoring:

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,286 posts
10,927 battles
3 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

If you think NC is a good ship, then I really don't want to know what you consider crap.

Are you crazy? After the frontal armor geometry rework of the North Carolina and Yamato, NC has become the best in slot and best in class BB ever since. 

Not to mention NC has the longest range of any BB in the game with out a spotter plane: 27km; and whose water line citadel nets reasonable survivability in the event she needs to escape.

Furthermore, North Cal had the best t8 BB AA untill Kii, the best Stealth untill Monarch and the best external armor belt until Roma

North Carolina is my absolutely favorite BB of all BBs and I'm not even a BB driver. North Carolina was a battleship pretending to be and giving the post treaty super cruiser experience before the likes of Moskva and Alaska were ever considered and unleashed onto the synthetic seas of WoWs.

Yours truly 

Crokodone

Edited by Crokodone
  • Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts
2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Recently started playing the USN T8 U.S.S. North Carolina again. 

The NC can hold its own in tier X battles because it's as good at defecting shells as the tier IX and X USN BBs nose-on and has the same guns too. The Iowa is faster and the Montana tanker with one more turret but it's not that great a difference. 

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,565 posts
12,592 battles
42 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The NC can hold its own in tier X battles because it's as good at defecting shells as the tier IX and X USN BBs nose-on and has the same guns too. The Iowa is faster and the Montana tanker with one more turret but it's not that great a difference. 

Same calibre just not the high velocity of the Iowa or the heavy AP of the Montana. It's a great all around battle ship. No gimmicks, just rugged and can dish it out as well as it takes it. When I took it out today I had already  became accustomed to the rudder shift and turning radius of it's successors. First hard rudder I took I was thinking Oh Yeah! I forgot! Lol! Had some alpha strikes on some cruisers that for what ever reason showed broadside. Fun fun fun ship!

• Cool 1

[JASH]
Members
3,781 posts
11,873 battles

I don't have time to play her often these days but NC is a keeper. It was the second ship I put permanent premium camo on; I've had it a couple years. 

Edited by MrKilmister
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts
2 hours ago, MrKilmister said:

I don't have time to play her often these days but NC is a keeper. It was second ship I put permanent premium camo on; I've had it a couple years. 

I keep it around because I have this camo for it. It was my go-to BB until I got the Montana. I've actually been on the ship too. It's now a museum ship.

image.thumb.png.6f5d83a2196dfcb44db00849c122a324.png

Edited by Snargfargle

[BNKR]
Members
1,516 posts
1,869 battles

You know, everyone has their limit. Some people have a short fuse and snap at a moment's notice. I tend to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. My patience is near legendary, and very few things cause me distress. Today, however, I am beyond furious. Neil Diamond? Really? This is where we've sunk as a community? Neil Diamond? I thought I had judged the denizens of these forums to be of better character than this. My god, people, children could be reading this thread. I've never been so disappointed and hope you'll think long and hard about what you've done here.

• Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts
18 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Neil Diamond? 

Neil Diamond wrote this.

Edited by Snargfargle

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,694 posts
1,251 battles

Considering what you have to go through to get her.....

[LSNB]
Members
1,312 posts
3,914 battles

Besides the other points above, I would like to point out that the NC has great matchmaking for her tier and is able brawl with other BBs to an extent. In addition, she is an absolute tank when played well, just like her T9 and T10 counterparts.

For new players grinding the USN BB line, the NC still has a learning curve to overcome, considering the huge structural difference between the NC's armor and Colorado's all-or-nothing armor structure. Players also have to learn when not to broadside and when to engage on the map (as she is incredibly frail when caught from a bad angle), as well as the T8 meta, and will also struggle with her low DPM, which may prompt some to label her as a bad ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
16,255 posts
11,121 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:
9 hours ago, MrKilmister said:

I keep it around because I have this camo for it. 

If I had that camo, I'd grind for the ship. :Smile_teethhappy: 

Beta Testers
188 posts
86 battles

The NC is a good ship, but with severe limitations in my experience. For a start, she's crazy vulnerable when not angled. She may not take many cits anymore, but the wrong move can result in half a dozen penetrating hits right into the belt armor, which will quickly take her out of the fight.

The second is the shell velocity. It's all well and good that she has the best range of any tier 8 BB, but good luck actually hitting anything at that range. Enemy ships have enough time to go off and make a cup of tea before your shells land at extreme range.

Of course, most of her other attributes are positive. She's quick, has solid guns, solid AA, and decent turret placement (Although the rear turret can be a seriously risky to expose). She doesn't really have any particular gimmicks other than quite good concealment and great AA. This makes her comfortable to play, although I worry how well she'll do once the RU BBs enter the field, considering their magical accuracy and bow armor will easily beat her at her own game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,119 posts
13,281 battles
4 hours ago, enderland07 said:

I sometimes forget how strong ships at T8 can be in T6 MM.

NC is one of those. 

A lot of people forget how strong tier 8 ships can be in tier 10 matches.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,565 posts
12,592 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 11:16 PM, RagingxMarmoset said:

You know, everyone has their limit. Some people have a short fuse and snap at a moment's notice. I tend to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. My patience is near legendary, and very few things cause me distress. Today, however, I am beyond furious. Neil Diamond? Really? This is where we've sunk as a community? Neil Diamond? I thought I had judged the denizens of these forums to be of better character than this. My god, people, children could be reading this thread. I've never been so disappointed and hope you'll think long and hard about what you've done here.

lol

• Cool 1