MS406france1940

What If Anyone Else Had Done the Long Trip to Tsushima?

7 comments in this topic

Members
293 posts
742 battles

So after seen Drachifel's video about the dark comedy that was the trip of the Second Pacific Squadron of the Russian Navy (And knowing how it ends) I started wondering, how would other navies have performed in the trip and in the battle of Tsushima? Since the British would have won just be numbers independent from tactics and competence, I'm talking about the French, German, Austro-Hungarian (They had like no ships at this stage but let's count them) and Italian navies, I'm not including the US in here since the White Fleet proved they could do the trip without failing horribly and the Spanish-American War proved they were worst at combat than anyone other than the Russians (Hit ratios of less than 1%  cough cough) 

SO! Any opinions or thoughts about how any other navies would have done in this scenario? 

Resultado de imagen para sms brandenburg

SMS Brandenburg, for some reason I just thought of this odd pre-dreadnought when I imagined the German Fleet going haft way around the world.

Edited by MS406france1940

Members
854 posts
14,046 battles

You can answer your own question. How modern were the ships that were going?

How far did they need to go? How was crew morale and training?

Do they allow for gunnery practice on the way?

How frequently are they able to stop and replenish? Is the leadership competent?

The more professional the navy and the better the leadership, the better they will fare on the trip.

After that long a trip the ships themselves will not be in tip-top shape, so I am thinking a numerical superiority would be necessary.

The Japanese ships are modern, the crews trained reasonably well, and they had a solid leader. What's more...they are RESTED and know the area.

To overcome those advantages, the traveling fleet will need many of the questions asked in their favor.

Members
728 posts

With the Entente Cordiale of 1904, the Royal Navy and Marine Nationale would probably have been coordinated if the Japanese were making a fuss over the overseas colonies.

800px-Scouts-entente-cordiale.jpg

[SOV]
Members
3,414 posts

British German, even itialy could have dont it without issue. 

I think the problem with the Russian fleet is the age of the ships and the crews 

That was vid was funny in a way. The crew were looking and finding Toro boats everywhere. Shooting up, well sort of a fishing fleet. They had no business going out of port much less wonder to the other side od the world and trying to fight.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,342 posts
4,275 battles

The problem for the Russians was their fleet was grossly incompetent.  In steaming to the Pacific they did learn how to operated at sea in terms of coaling and keeping their ships going.  But, they learned nothing about fleet tactics, gunnery, or fighting a battle.

Now, had the Russian fleet had the ammunition they could have drilled and practiced until they were proficient at gunnery and damage control.  But, without reasonably competent officers and senior enlisted they had little chance of that happening.  The problem was they started with crews and officers that were largely incompetent, and never did anything substantial to change that.

Almost any other navy of the period wasn't saddled with such an insurmountable problem.

As an unrelated example that demonstrates this problem, when I was in boot camp upon joining the Navy, there were companies of Iranian sailors there too (this was when the Shah ran Iran).  Their boot camp ran about a year to lean essentially the same stuff we (Americans) were getting in eight weeks.  Even then, I heard rumors from the drill instructors that the Iranians were still incompetent because the enlisted were looked at as stupid, inferior, peons compared to their officers.  It was a mindset for failure.

Edited by Murotsu
  • Cool 1

[SOUP]
[SOUP]
Members
1,543 posts
6,857 battles
8 hours ago, MS406france1940 said:

, I'm not including the US in here... the Spanish-American War proved they were worst at combat... (Hit ratios of less than 1%  cough cough) 

One of those shells found its mark on this poor wall of El Morro Castle in San Juan
Puerto-Rico-08.png
(SOURCE)

Edited by Cruiser_SanJuan

[REVY]
Members
1,885 posts
10,975 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 3:22 PM, MS406france1940 said:

I'm not including the US in here since the White Fleet proved they could do the trip without failing horribly and the Spanish-American War proved they were worst at combat than anyone other than the Russians (Hit ratios of less than 1%  cough cough) 

On 3/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, Cruiser_SanJuan said:

Yes, the US Great White Fleet proved it could sail around the world, taken a year or two to do so. But they were also at peace, and in no major hurry to get anywhere. The ships themselves were basically obsolete by the time they returned to the US anyway.

As for their shooting: a documentary I watched years ago (like 10+) brought up the accuracy, or lack there of. The US Admirals of the time were more on quantity of the fire on a target, then accuracy (much like the British in WW1). Yes, not many of their shots hit or penetrated, but those that did, did so quite effectively.

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.