You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ironrust

CV refund period.

62 comments in this topic

[APD]
Beta Testers
40 posts
4,752 battles

Hoping one of the WG reps sees this post. I was wondering if there are any plans to extend the CV refund period for U.S and IJN carriers, another patch or two as the CV's seem to be not really in a stable place yet. The semi-regular global balance changes are making it hard to even make a choice, as some of these changes have been major, as there seems to be no signs of things settling down,  I think a extension of the refund period would be a  good choice on WG part even if it was for just one more patch cycle. If I missed something about this sorry for the post.

Thanks for reading,

Ironrust

• Cool 6

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,971 posts

It is my understanding that they offered the refund because the playstyle completely changed.  Not as a result of adjusting damage numbers or other aspects of the ships etc.  They make major adjustments to other ships and metrics (global secondary changes, torp belt changes etc, are some recent examples) and do not offer refunds for those ships.

WG can and usually does adjust lines of ships all the time.  The refund period was specific to CVs because they basically become a new game.

In regard to the premium CVs, while they said that they do have plans to continue to balance the CV class overall, the premiums are in the state they intend them to be in.  I took that to mean that there will be no further premium CV specific updates.

I am not refunding any of mine but if I were on the fence about out it, I would be making my decision very soon.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,149 posts
13,310 battles

I doubt they will extend the time and you still have 10 days to decide.

[S-N-D]
Members
3,229 posts
7,634 battles

Sell that crap. Granted it's a ripoff of your cash at least perhaps you can use it to eventually buy another OP gimmick ship from a class they won't destroy.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 6
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

Members
1,592 posts
4,366 battles

I was trying to figure out how to cash my two old Tier 4 in for fexp....thought I saw that advertised.  They gave me 30 days premium because I haven't played a match in months...sadly, don't plan to play any time soon either.  I can honestly say that most all the changes they've made in recent memory have made the game much less enjoyable for me.  Over 8k dubs and 600k+ fxp going to waste...I surely didn't read the tea leaves correctly WRT to WoWS.

I was hopeful when I saw them offering refunds that they would just remove them entirely.  No such luck.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 5
  • Angry 1

[A-D-F]
5,971 posts
19 minutes ago, Mahrs said:

I was trying to figure out how to cash my two old Tier 4 in for fexp....thought I saw that advertised.  They gave me 30 days premium because I haven't played a match in months...sadly, don't plan to play any time soon either.  I can honestly say that most all the changes they've made in recent memory have made the game much less enjoyable for me.  Over 8k dubs and 600k+ fxp going to waste...I surely didn't read the tea leaves correctly WRT to WoWS.

I was hopeful when I saw them offering refunds that they would just remove them entirely.  No such luck.

Go into your inventory.  There is a button in there specifically for CV refunds.  You have 11 days left to refund them if you wish.

They just spend over a year's worth of time and a bunch of money redoing CVs to try to balance them with the other classes.  If they were going to just remove them, doing so would have been much much cheaper.

This action shows us WG's intention is for the class to remain and be a balanced one.  I understand the controversy around this topic but I for one, am very happy about it. 

One example for this joy, is that they are a fantastic tool to counter the "hide behind all the things and camp" meta that so many have complained about.  While the rest of the team can only charge the camper's islands in a attempt to dislodge them, taking all the damage along the way, the CV can reach out and.....suggest that they move along.

• Cool 2

[WOLF8]
Members
6,118 posts
5,595 battles

If current state of Premium CV's are around where WG intends them to be, then TBH, I don't have a high hope for the overall CV rework.

Granted, I don't have any of the Premium CV's, but I've read and heard plenty about them.

Sure, unicums can still make the CV's sing and dance like an Opera star... but they can make pretty much anything work anyway. Otherwise, for everyone else, you have to be very lucky to even pull your weight in a CV. And if I can only pull my own weight when stars align, or else I'm just wallowing in a cesspool, I don't think that's a good design. Additionally, I don't think any CV is gonna dislodge any ship hiding behind an island.. if that ship is very close to other ships to overlap their AA's. AA is currently quite overtuned and can make life of a CV quite miserable.

I donno, maybe it's just me. I haven't given up on the reworked CV's just yet, but I don't know if I can keep it up.

If anyone sells their CV's through the special menu in the inventory, please keep in mind that the tech tree ones will even revert back to "unresearched" state, meaning their ship image will be darkened on the tech tree. If you want them back, you're gonna have to grind up from Tier III DD of the respective nation, as if you're unlocking them for the first time again. If you just wanna get rid of the ship(s) but keep the access open, then just sell them using the conventional "Sell" option on the port carousel. You won't get the FXP/EXP (and doubloons for the perma camo) back, but you don't have to grind them again if you want them back in future. For the Premium CV's, please definitely use the special menu since you get the value back in doubloons, and I heard the Arsenal is going to get updated to have many Premium ships on sale for doubloons, during next update.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
5,971 posts
12 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

If current state of Premium CV's are around where WG intends them to be, then TBH, I don't have a high hope for the overall CV rework.

Granted, I don't have any of the Premium CV's, but I've read and heard plenty about them.

Sure, unicums can still make the CV's sing and dance like an Opera star... but they can make pretty much anything work anyway. Otherwise, for everyone else, you have to be very lucky to even pull your weight in a CV. And if I can only pull my own weight when stars align, or else I'm just wallowing in a cesspool, I don't think that's a good design. Additionally, I don't think any CV is gonna dislodge any ship hiding behind an island.. if that ship is very close to other ships to overlap their AA's. AA is currently quite overtuned and can make life of a CV quite miserable.

I donno, maybe it's just me. I haven't given up on the reworked CV's just yet, but I don't know if I can keep it up.

If anyone sells their CV's through the special menu in the inventory, please keep in mind that the tech tree ones will even revert back to "unresearched" state, meaning their ship image will be darkened on the tech tree. If you want them back, you're gonna have to grind up from Tier III DD of the respective nation, as if you're unlocking them for the first time again. If you just wanna get rid of the ship(s) but keep the access open, then just sell them using the conventional "Sell" option on the port carousel. You won't get the FXP/EXP (and doubloons for the perma camo) back, but you don't have to grind them again if you want them back in future. For the Premium CV's, please definitely use the special menu since you get the value back in doubloons, and I heard the Arsenal is going to get updated to have many Premium ships on sale for doubloons, during next update.

One other note on the refunding of premiums.  Some of them got moved up a tier, so if you refund them, you will be refunded what you paid for them at the tier that they were at when you bought them.  If you buy them back again in the future, they will be more expensive than they were when you first purchased them.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

There aren't currently plans to offer refunds for CVs beyond the already communicated timeframe.  We are coming up on almost 2 months of them being available and while we do understand these changes were massive, most folks have been able to determine whether they are able to adjust to the new playstyle or not.  We encourage you to continue trying them out over the coming days and take advantage of refunds while they are available. 

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles

I'll probably keep my Saipan, but I don't know that I will ever play it.

[RKLES]
Members
11,233 posts
12,638 battles
14 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

there is no reason to keep the Kaga and Saipan. None. Both the Shokaku and Lex are vastly superior.

Yeah aside from historical collectors value, the Kaga appears to have lost what was special about it. It no longer has the unique advantage of “ Endless planes”.  Of course under RTS CVs it still would hit it’s limit in aircraft eventually, but innoractice the planes were basically an endless supply.

I already got full compensation for all my CVs in order to be ready for what will replace them in my port, the submarines.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
Corrected spelling error
  • Cool 1

[PHASE]
Members
5,760 posts
18,724 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah as De frommthe historical collectors value, the Kaga appears to have lost what was special about it. It no longer has the unique advantage of “ Endless planes”.  Of course under RTS CVs it still would hot it’s limit in aircraft eventually, but innoractice the planes were basically an endless supply.

I already got full compensation for all my CVs in order to be ready for what will replace them in my port, the submarines.

I was excited about the changes and have given them a full and fair shake. They are bad. 

[A-D-F]
5,971 posts
6 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

there is no reason to keep the Kaga and Saipan. None. Both the Shokaku and Lex are vastly superior.

As a general rule and as I understand, fully researched line ships are "supposed" to be "better" than premium ships of the same tier anyway.  Premium ships are "supposed" to save time and effort, not be pay to win.

[A-D-F]
5,971 posts
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah as De frommthe historical collectors value, the Kaga appears to have lost what was special about it. It no longer has the unique advantage of “ Endless planes”.  Of course under RTS CVs it still would hot it’s limit in aircraft eventually, but innoractice the planes were basically an endless supply.

The only recent change to it is the bomb fall time and I think it was the rebuild time?  I still starts off the game with a larger than most, number of available planes.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,850 posts
9,171 battles
31 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

There aren't currently plans to offer refunds for CVs beyond the already communicated timeframe.  We are coming up on almost 2 months of them being available and while we do understand these changes were massive, most folks have been able to determine whether they are able to adjust to the new playstyle or not.  We encourage you to continue trying them out over the coming days and take advantage of refunds* while they are available. 

this is blatantly untrue. 

a) players (owners of premium cvs) who are currently away from the game but who may return in the future. "Most" folks is not all folks, while the "most" is based on what? A hopeful guesstimate?

b) the cv rework will continue, up until 0.8.4, with changes to cv balancing via global changes to gameplay mechanics (AA for example) and via changes to individual tech tree ships, which will have knock on effects. 

The above are what we know, b) having been stated on the official devblog portal as regards 0.8.4, and 0.8.2 itself (which will end doublon exchange opportunities) coming with changes to AA. The CV experience is bound to undergo further changes, whose significance can only be assessed, measured, by the players themeselves. Which is why, the doublon/XP/Credit exchange should be extended for the forseeable future, or at the very least, until end May/early June 2019.

c) a genuine refund policy would be a welcome addition, refunding the purchase cost of premium Cvs for those who desire. But refund means exactly that, refunding the purchase cost, cost = the currency employed to purchase the ships originally, whether they be Doublons, Dollars, Yen or Euro. But doublons for all, is not a refund, it is an "exchange".

• Cool 5

[PHASE]
Members
5,760 posts
18,724 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

As a general rule and as I understand, fully researched line ships are "supposed" to be "better" than premium ships of the same tier anyway.  Premium ships are "supposed" to save time and effort, not be pay to win.

Not sure I buy that. Why would anyone buy a premium knowing it underperforms a tech tree ship?

[A-D-F]
5,971 posts
6 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Not sure I buy that. Why would anyone buy a premium knowing it underperforms a tech tree ship?

Due to the known benefits that a premium ship brings, which we all know so I won't start listing, but they are all related to saving time and effort.  If premium ships were designed, as a general rule, to preform better in matches overall than what can be obtained for free, the game would in fact be "pay to win".

[PHASE]
Members
5,760 posts
18,724 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

this is blatantly untrue. 

a) players (owners of premium cvs) who are currently away from the game but who may return in the future. "Most" folks is not all folks, while the "most" is based on what? A hopeful guesstimate?

b) the cv rework will continue, up until 0.8.4, with changes to cv balancing via global changes to gameplay mechanics (AA for example) and via changes to individual tech tree ships, which will have knock on effects. 

The above are what we know, b) having been stated on the official devblog portal as regards 0.8.4, and 0.8.2 itself (which will end doublon exchange opportunities) coming with changes to AA. The CV experience is bound to undergo further changes, whose significance can only be assessed, measured, by the players themeselves. Which is why, the doublon/XP/Credit exchange should be extended for the forseeable future, or at the very least, until end May/early June 2019.

c) a genuine refund policy would be a welcome addition, refunding the purchase cost of premium Cvs for those who desire. But refund means exactly that, refunding the purchase cost, cost = the currency employed to purchase the ships originally, whether they be Doublons, Dollars, Yen or Euro. But doublons for all, is not a refund, it is an "exchange".

I would feel more comfortable selling my Kaga and Saipan for doubloons knowing they could be repurchased for doubloons once the changes are final. To not offer that simple trade would be criminal. Imagine having these horrible tier 7 premiums and in 4 months they get buffed and become strong again......

[PHASE]
Members
5,760 posts
18,724 battles
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Due to the known benefits that a premium ship brings, which we all know so I won't start listing, but they are all related to saving time and effort.  If premium ships, as a general rule, all preformed better in matches overall than what can be obtained for free, the game would in fact be "pay to win".

lols the concept of this game not being pay to win is comical. I admire your naivety or ironic sense of adventure.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,850 posts
9,171 battles
3 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I would feel more comfortable selling my Kaga and Saipan for doubloons knowing they could be repurchased for doubloons once the changes are final. To not offer that simple trade would be criminal. Imagine having these horrible tier 7 premiums and in 4 months they get buffed and become strong again......

WG is counting on you squandering any doublons you obtain with the "refund" on premium time, free xp unlocks, other useless crap, .. and then getting you to buy more doublons in the premium shop with real world hard cash, to buy back your premium cvs.

CVs will be stronger, the very day the "refund" policy comes to an end, 0.8.2 comes with a major buff to cv gameplay (an AA nerf, greater protection for returning planes after an attack run). This buff will have a considerable (positive) impact on CVs such as Kaga.

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
5,971 posts
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

lols the concept of this game not being pay to win is comical. I admire your naivety or ironic sense of adventure.

I stated what I understand one design goals to be, that players cannot spent real money to have a match winning advantage.  If you agree with those goals and if your claim is that the these ships align with those design goals, I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

• Cool 1

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,197 posts
9,750 battles

Best advice I could offer is "If in doubt, cash them out".

If you don't care for carriers in their present state, but are hopeful they might be more to your liking somewhere down the road after 8.4, but still don't want to risk being stuck with ships you still don't care for in case they DON'T change for the better, then just refund them and squirrel away the credits and fxp, or dubs in the case of premiums.

If after 8.4, you decide carriers are in a place you like, then you can use the credits/fxp/dubs from the refund to start back up whichever line you choose. If they're still not to your liking, then you can use said credits/fxp/dubs for other purposes.