You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Elisabeth

100 games in a West Virginia '41

28 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
4,717 posts
5,104 battles

lTPnPL5.jpg

Obviously, I'm not that good overall. But I see a lot of people dumping on this particular ship, and, frankly, I'm not exactly sure what failed to click for them. 

Battleships in this game are judged by their guns first (or should be), because that's the single asset that determines if you can put shells onto a target reliably, and net high alpha strike numbers. Everything else (within reason) should be secondary to that factor: can the ship hit reliably in the area you tell it to? And West Virginia does that exceptionally well - down a tier from Colorado, rocking Colorado's guns, not having to see tier 9s. 

I'm just saying: if you're on the fence about this thing - if you've looked at this boat longingly and said "yeah, but I read bad stuff about it" - here's a contrary assessment: it's worth your dough.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

Members
540 posts

I havent seen anyone talking trash about the WV41.  In fact ive only seen positive comments about it, now PEF that ship had hate, I detested mine but opinions vary.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,318 posts
5,016 battles

she stomp everything she face. a controversial ship that is actually very fun.

Members
936 posts
2,399 battles

If i was to go for a t6 american BB it would have to be the AZ first and foremost.

[INTEL]
Members
9,286 posts
26,978 battles

Congrat. Solid numbers for a T6. 

[SUCIT]
Members
116 posts
10,784 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

lTPnPL5.jpg

Obviously, I'm not that good overall. But I see a lot of people dumping on this particular ship, and, frankly, I'm not exactly sure what failed to click for them. 

Battleships in this game are judged by their guns first (or should be), because that's the single asset that determines if you can put shells onto a target reliably, and net high alpha strike numbers. Everything else (within reason) should be secondary to that factor: can the ship hit reliably in the area you tell it to? And West Virginia does that exceptionally well - down a tier from Colorado, rocking Colorado's guns, not having to see tier 9s. 

I'm just saying: if you're on the fence about this thing - if you've looked at this boat longingly and said "yeah, but I read bad stuff about it" - here's a contrary assessment: it's worth your dough.

Nice West Virginia win rate. I think people dislike West Virginia because of Colorado's reputation. They believe because Colorado is bad so must West Virginia. West Virginia is also very slow, so people who can't tolerate slow speed will really hate it. And West Virginia armor like the Colorado is non existent and very vulnerable to HE spam. Good players can basically make any ship work, so though your not a super unicum, your still good.

For me personally, I don't want West Virginia because she's kind of like how Musashi is to Yamato. Doesn't offer much playstyle differences. But unlike Yamato, I hate the Colorado. Though I can see West Virginia performing well due to her being a low tier BB, she's just not for me. For t6 BB, I'd rather have Fuso and Mutsu as they fit my playstyle best. Don't get me wrong, West Virginia is a good ship for her tier as she's got bigger guns than Warspite and Warspite has similar armor and she still performs very well. I think it's just the speed and Colorado taboo is why people give her soo much of a bad reputation.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
448 posts
11,294 battles

I'm one of the guys that enjoys the PEF but I certainly understand why many people don't. Regardless, when this ship was released I seriously thought about it but already had the Arizona so I passed. If it went on a decent enough sale I might pick it up even though I struggled in the stock Colorado, which is basically this ship.

I would assume a survival build including some fire prevention is a requirement. Or...

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality

[_-_]
Members
1,590 posts
1 hour ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

If i was to go for a t6 american BB it would have to be the AZ first and foremost.

I have both. They're each very good in their own way. Unique enough to give folks a choice based on their own personal play style.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,590 posts
2 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

lTPnPL5.jpg

Excellent work! BZ!

I love the WeeVee too. Those guns...and cage masts! What's not to like? :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Members
1,432 posts
3,718 battles
3 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Excellent work! BZ!

I love the WeeVee too. Those guns...and cage masts! What's not to like? :Smile_great:

Yes love the s carolina same as.

Members
418 posts

Notice that the OP has a 58% overall WR. So, the "I'm not that good overall" thing is bull. 

People need to consider that before going out and buying what will be a pretty mediocre ship for average players. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
804 posts
5,880 battles

I haven't seen people trashing it, only pointing out two things is compared to an Arizona. One the it' accuracy is poorer compared to the Arizona and two it's armor and armor layout are weaker then the Arizona. Many recommended the Arizona based on better balance.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,227 posts
7 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

lTPnPL5.jpg

WV ‘41 is a fantastic ship.  My favorite Tier 6 currently.

[FF]
Members
223 posts
6,996 battles
51 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

WV ‘41 is a fantastic ship.  My favorite Tier 6 currently.

Too OP please move to tier VII. LOL Just kidding, great stats and job playing WV 41'

• Cool 1

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
2 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

So, so, slooooow. I really prefer Mutsu. 

I have such a hard time playing slow battleships nowadays.

Members
1,555 posts
7,863 battles
5 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I have such a hard time playing slow battleships nowadays.

The game has become very fast paced with the introduction of more cruiser and DD lines, 20kt ships are more and more left behind. 

[KNMSU]
Members
4,717 posts
5,104 battles
6 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Notice that the OP has a 58% overall WR. So, the "I'm not that good overall" thing is bull. 

People need to consider that before going out and buying what will be a pretty mediocre ship for average players. 

I'm not a unicum. I cannot hard carry predictably, I am meh in cruisers, and terrible in destroyers. I do not meet the bar for great.

Members
20,838 posts
5,614 battles

TBH, a lot of people slam the Colorado, even post-buff.

I found it a fairly comfy ship...

[KNMSU]
Members
4,717 posts
5,104 battles
5 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

So, so, slooooow. I really prefer Mutsu. 

Mutsu is good, too. But WV '41s guns are better, which means that she uptiers better, as far as I am concerned.

Yes, she's slow and ungainly. I actually bought her specifically because of that - to train myself in preparation for Viribus Unitus. I knew I had to build up a certain amount of tolerance to that style of ship, and WV is so darned pretty to look at, with those classic American masts and blue paint, that it was a no-brainer.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,084 posts
8,607 battles

Well, to be fair, there WAS a good bit of bad press, from some corners, about this ship when it first came out. And it didn't help that many were hacked off that it wasn't the '44 version, that whole dustup coloring the ship's reputation out of the gate. Many were saying that it was just a novelty ship, having 16" guns at Tier 6 it's only selling point.

But dear lord, what a set of guns. The sigma value doesn't tell the whole story - there's something about the base dispersion values, that make them some of the most accurate guns in the game, regardless of tier. During the Tier 6 Ranked Sprint season, those guns earned it quite a positive reputation with many who first dismissed it. One streamer in particular, a viewer gifted him the WV '41 in the middle of the stream. At first, he thought he was being trolled, as he didn't have that high of an opinion of the ship. But just two Ranked Sprint battles later, he was singing the praises of the ship, so much so he immediately bought the special "Country Roads" camo initially offered with it, and it became his go-to ship for the rest of Ranked Sprint.

If you've gotten to the point that you no longer even look at the scale on the crosshairs, that aiming is more muscle memory and you just eyeball the lead and let fly, and still manage a hit percentage in the high 30's, 40's, or above, those guns will flat-out SING for you.

• Cool 2

[KNMSU]
Members
4,717 posts
5,104 battles
28 minutes ago, Retnav54 said:

Well, to be fair, there WAS a good bit of bad press, from some corners, about this ship when it first came out. And it didn't help that many were hacked off that it wasn't the '44 version, that whole dustup coloring the ship's reputation out of the gate. Many were saying that it was just a novelty ship, having 16" guns at Tier 6 it's only selling point.

But dear lord, what a set of guns. The sigma value doesn't tell the whole story - there's something about the base dispersion values, that make them some of the most accurate guns in the game, regardless of tier. During the Tier 6 Ranked Sprint season, those guns earned it quite a positive reputation with many who first dismissed it. One streamer in particular, a viewer gifted him the WV '41 in the middle of the stream. At first, he thought he was being trolled, as he didn't have that high of an opinion of the ship. But just two Ranked Sprint battles later, he was singing the praises of the ship, so much so he immediately bought the special "Country Roads" camo initially offered with it, and it became his go-to ship for the rest of Ranked Sprint.

If you've gotten to the point that you no longer even look at the scale on the crosshairs, that aiming is more muscle memory and you just eyeball the lead and let fly, and still manage a hit percentage in the high 30's, 40's, or above, those guns will flat-out SING for you.

Spot-on assessment. +1'd.

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
Members
81 posts
6,086 battles

She is a very good premium and I don't regret buying her. She served me quite well in ranked sprint, even better than my Mutsu. That being said, I would still very much like to see a late war variant of a Colorado class. It doesn't have to specifically be USS West Virginia either. I would be perfectly happy with a hypothetical variant of the Maryland or the Oklahoma, had they gotten the same late war refits as WV. Either that or give the tech tree Colorado the late war refit as a researchable "C hull."

Edited by admiralsexybeast

[KNMSU]
Members
4,717 posts
5,104 battles
4 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

She is a very good premium and I don't regret buying her. She served me quite well in ranked sprint, even better than my Mutsu. That being said, I would still very much like to see a late war variant of a Colorado class. It doesn't have to specifically be USS West Virginia either. I would be perfectly happy with a hypothetical variant of the Maryland or the Oklahoma, had they gotten the same late war refits as WV. Either that or give the tech tree Colorado the late war refit as a researchable "C hull."

My only concern is that a late-war "Maryland" would either a) suffer a gun performance loss at tier 7 in order to boost AA, or b) be bumped to tier 8. Both would suck.

Sadly, I think Wargaming plans to make the 1944 version another West Virginia, which will likely kill our only opportunity to ever see America's best state flag added to the game:

1280px-Flag_of_Maryland.svg.png

• Cool 1