You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xeilin

And a gift full of love for you too.

11 comments in this topic

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
418 posts
4,161 battles

Ended up coming across their carrier everyone on my team shot at it, their carrier sinks.  It looked like the planes were in a death loop.  Ignored the planes as they weren't on any form of attack vector when I looked at them.  Then I realized they were getting a little too close and then they dropped torpedoes on me.  I don't play CVs overly much so it came as a surprise to me that carriers now control their last flight of planes.  CV affirmed and a few other people in chat were surprised as well.

Carriers after their destruction now control their last flight of planes if they are in the air.

Any other fun tidbits that surprised you recently? (Or surprised anyone else for that matter)

[XBRTC]
Members
2,350 posts
8,290 battles

I, in my very low-health Atlanta, was surprised to find a NoCar at 4,000 yards when I ducked around an island.

The NoCar was surprised by something too, though.

8BDAC960-7C33-4747-85AD-CE9C5EB7A576.thumb.jpeg.915cdcec78cd1bf0291344a8725971de.jpeg

• Funny 6

[USCC2]
Members
4,429 posts

I guess if spotter planes continue after the ship is dead, then why not CV planes.

In the end I can see the CV aircraft pilots wanting to avenge their ships death; the 'connection/loyalty' they have to their ship.

I could never understand why a spotter plane stayed around though, as it can't attack I would have thought it would leave the warzone. Guess there actually is a Fleet Commander!

[USCC2]
Members
4,429 posts
9 minutes ago, Dareios said:

fun fact: torpedoes continue after the DD is sunk as well

As do BB rounds from across the map.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,397 posts
7,324 battles
33 minutes ago, Xeilin said:

Ended up coming across their carrier everyone on my team shot at it, their carrier sinks.  It looked like the planes were in a death loop.  Ignored the planes as they weren't on any form of attack vector when I looked at them.  Then I realized they were getting a little too close and then they dropped torpedoes on me.  I don't play CVs overly much so it came as a surprise to me that carriers now control their last flight of planes.  CV affirmed and a few other people in chat were surprised as well.

Carriers after their destruction now control their last flight of planes if they are in the air.

Any other fun tidbits that surprised you recently? (Or surprised anyone else for that matter)

Because all know that when a carrier really sinks, the seawater trips autodestruct mechanisms in all aircraft aloft, ending the flights and killing the pilots.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
418 posts
4,161 battles
13 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Because all know that when a carrier really sinks, the seawater trips autodestruct mechanisms in all aircraft aloft, ending the flights and killing the pilots.

Well yea.  Dont you know that everything self destructs once a ship is destroyed so the enemy cant study it? 

Old CV though used to be able to set attack runs with aircraft but not be able to control them after.  Just came as a surprise as it wasn't something I fully thought about.  And a surprise to the battleship that got sunk by him.  XD

And yes.  Atlanta torps are always very fun to use and watch the surprised exclamations in chat

Members
540 posts

Well the old cv planes werent piloted 3rd person, when you are in your planes you can only move your cv with auto pilot.  Makes perfect sense that if you are directly controlling the aircraft and not the cv at time of its destruction you would continue to do so.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
418 posts
4,161 battles

Indeed it does.  It was just something mentally ingrained into me that CV died didn't set orders can ignore planes.  Its hard to unlearn habits.  But I wont forget any time soon.  Haha

[PSP]
Members
8,038 posts

There were several instances in WWII when planes had to land on another carrier because the one the took off from was damaged, on fire, or sunk.

When the Shokaku was damaged at the Battle of the Coral Sea, its aircraft landed on the Zuikaku.

At the Battle of Midway, the few remaining planes still aloft from the sunk Akagi, Soryu, and Kaga landed on the Hiryu. The Yorktown's planes had to land on the Enterprise after it was put out of action in the same battle.

Edited by Snargfargle