You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
nosinkboatpls

Please allow higher FPS than 75 (144 or unlocked)

14 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
2,882 battles

Hi, I don't post much on the forums, but I have a couple thousand battles and this is the strongest feedback I have for the game.

It is true that 75 fps is perfectly fine for most people, but as someone with a 144hz monitor it's frustrating that World of Warships does not allow 144fps when it is fairly common in most other games now, or at least they will have a setting that unlocks the framerate to be as fast as possible. A high framerate is not necessary for gameplay like in CSGO but I think it would make the graphics look so much better, especially things like incoming shells, water splashes, and explosions.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,172 posts
13,352 battles

It is the limitations of the game engine and this game really don't need that kind of performance.

[A-O]
Members
830 posts
8,936 battles
25 minutes ago, nosinkboatpls said:

Hi, I don't post much on the forums, but I have a couple thousand battles and this is the strongest feedback I have for the game.

It is true that 75 fps is perfectly fine for most people, but as someone with a 144hz monitor it's frustrating that World of Warships does not allow 144fps when it is fairly common in most other games now, or at least they will have a setting that unlocks the framerate to be as fast as possible. A high framerate is not necessary for gameplay like in CSGO but I think it would make the graphics look so much better, especially things like incoming shells, water splashes, and explosions.

What can you see at 144fps that you can not see at 72?

I tried various hardware and can not see much of a change once you hit 30fps.

I'd rather have the option to move the minimap to a separate monitor.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,407 posts
6,617 battles

I change the max fps to 100 or 144 (I use 144hz monitor) and it will go back to default after each update.  I know WOT has 144hz support hopefully WOWS will soon.  I always thought it was a marketing gimmick but ended up trying it.  Your computer has to have over 100 fps constant (mine runs 144fps no problem, I'm running an 8700K w/ GTX1080 and 16GB RAM).  I switch back to my 60hz 27" sometime and I miss the 144hz, its like you are watching a movie its awesome. 

So you can raise the fps cap find the "res" folder and then the engine config.  Right click and say open with notepad.  You will see

<maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>

Just change it to whatever and then save the file.

Now I do not know if changing the max fps is the same as a game with 144hz support.  In WOT you can select 144hz in game settings.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0
  • Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,407 posts
6,617 battles
38 minutes ago, freggo said:

What can you see at 144fps that you can not see at 72?

I tried various hardware and can not see much of a change once you hit 30fps.

I'd rather have the option to move the minimap to a separate monitor.

I was the biggest skeptic.  I remember laughing at my friend that bought a 144hz monitor.  All of the "human eye cannot see more than 60hz" thats [edited].  You can notice the difference above 100hz, does not have anything to do with what the human eye can see above 60hz. The way I describe it is when you are in game move your mouse side to side, you will see at some point it just blurs.  With a 144hz monitor (and 144fps) its like watching a movie.  There is no blur and it gives it more of a 3D-like image.  To be honest it does not make as much a difference in WOWS like in other games.  The game still looks amazing on max settings.

WG is you see this, add 144hz mode for this game!

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0
  • Cool 1

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,306 battles

edit your engine_config. You can manually set any framerate cap you desire.

Members
67 posts
2,479 battles

The reason World of Tanks and World of Warplanes have support for higher FPS is that the vehicles move through space (the maps) at a much greater rate. World of Warships doesn't need that. Now, if you want to change that, you are clearly already specialized, having bought a 144 Hz monitor. In that case,  edit your engine_config to manually set an FPS cap. 

As for us casual players and peasants, leave the 75 so the game doesn't break our screens.

Members
8 posts
2,882 battles
2 hours ago, Kebobstuzov said:

edit your engine_config. You can manually set any framerate cap you desire.

I have tried this before and it was still limited to 75 or 76. I shouldn't have to edit config files to try and get 144fps is what I'm saying.

I would just say why not have a higher frame cap? If your computer can't run it or you don't have a 144hz monitor that's fine, set it lower. As I said though I think it would really improve the game because there are fast objects in WoWS like incoming shells, and the ships themselves are pretty fast.

Edit: I changed the config file and it's working for now. I'm sure I'll have to change it back every update. It does look better, noticeable changes are how smooth the ocean looks when you're going fast and the smoke from the ship also looks better. So I'm glad it is possible, just wish it was a little more official in the game I guess.

Edited by nosinkboatpls

[NOT]
Members
1,044 posts
6,282 battles

First, in battle, FPS ties to CPU capability, you should not "unlock" the FPS if you don't have a really good CPU

My Laptop:

Before, capped at 60fps: CPU at 75% and GPU at 75-100% in battle, often throttle because the patch where scaling introduced, CPU and GPU get a +25% each

Now, capped at 45fps: CPU at 35-55% and GPU at 55-75% in battle

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
207 posts

Changed engine_config frame rate to 200 for use with Radeon VII on a I9-7900X motherboard with 64GB RAM driving an LG 34" Ultra Wide at 3440 x 1440 with 144hz refresh.

In battle FPS was 200 +/- 10. 

Managed to drive Radeon VII to 99% GPU.

Don't blame the game if your system can't match or exceed your monitor refresh rate.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,306 battles

It shouldn't be too difficult for WG to put it in the menu as a selection from 60 - 75 - 120 - 144 - uncapped like many games do

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
548 posts
18,222 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 9:37 PM, TheYamato said:

The reason World of Tanks and World of Warplanes have support for higher FPS is that the vehicles move through space (the maps) at a much greater rate. World of Warships doesn't need that. Now, if you want to change that, you are clearly already specialized, having bought a 144 Hz monitor. In that case,  edit your engine_config to manually set an FPS cap. 

As for us casual players and peasants, leave the 75 so the game doesn't break our screens.

The ship might not move fast but you are constantly looking around as fast as possible to detect incoming torps, enemy ships and planes and you want to do that without stuttering. 

[RO-I]
Members
362 posts
On 3/15/2019 at 7:34 PM, nosinkboatpls said:

With so sooo many issue you think FPS is really an issue/problem? My lord lady: what is a joke. Get over it: its NOT a issue. Maybe go find a coronavirus shot or something.

[WORX]
Members
8,083 posts
16,743 battles
9 minutes ago, tincan_SC said:

With so sooo many issue you think FPS is really an issue/problem? My lord lady: what is a joke. Get over it: its NOT a issue. Maybe go find a coronavirus shot or something.

Speak louder :cap_horn: He is still frozen in time from Christmas...Maybe he is helping Santa at the north pole till next season :cap_old: