You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RockChunker

AVOID THE LYON

36 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
85 posts
6,149 battles

After going over the available stats in anticipation for getting my next BB, I decided on the Lyon.  Dumbest thing I ever did.  This ship is an absolute pig.  No armor to speak of,  very little power.  And I mean the worst performance I have experienced.  I don't care what their stats said, they lie! (Perhaps the Devs should have put sails onboard.)  As for firepower....Forget it.  The Devs invented some crazy algorithm and the shells fly all over and do very little damage. Way different than what the stats would suggest.C'mon..10 hugs guns, and pfffft.  I did a test.  Had a friend park his Baltimore and let me take shots at him.  Finally at 3 km, it would manage to get almost all the shells to hit broadside.  Now for the damage.  Loaded up HE and sighted up dead center and bang.  The Baltimore suffered a whopping 2% damage loss.  Hmmmm....must have hit the paint locker.  An incredible 2 percent loss at 3000 yards. 

WG,  I spent a hell of a lot of time working up the points for this ship.  The stats simply can not be anything but made up garbage. When you screw people, you lose customers.  WO Tanks is already in the morgue because of your unbridled greed.

Before you Millennia's go dashing off to see my stats and take cheap shots,  bite me.  They suck.  I know it.  Let's see how well YOU do at 72.

Best of luck to all,

Rockchunker

Edited by Shinsengumi918
removed political item. carry on.
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
5,980 posts
13,796 battles

"We can't blame technology when we make mistakes." - Tim Berners-Lee

[R-F1]
[R-F1]
Members
163 posts
14,157 battles

Honestly the Lyon is a troll boat. It’s got 16 guns. That’s “it’s” thing. Don’t aim waterline, and dead center slightly above waterline...

Spamming HE is a good strategy. At close range AP hurts like hell.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,750 posts
16,720 battles

Lyon is a high risk-reward ship that rewards timely risks. It requires a moderately capable hand at the helm, but it's a remarkably un-subtle yet powerful performer.

• Cool 5

[REEF]
[REEF]
Beta Testers
885 posts
9,971 battles

I'm going to disagree with you, big time!  The Lyon is now my favorite T7 BB!  The Scharnhorst is a BC (Battlecruiser) not a BB, though it's called a BB in WoWS, what a fun ship!

STATS - Win rate: 55.88%  Average Damage: 44,471  Average XP: 1478  Kill/Death 1.2  Survivability 41%  I'm pretty darn happy with that and I've killed a LOT of CL's from full health with just one broadside!

I'm no millennial, I'm 56!

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,344 posts
18,139 battles

Complaining about 16 shotguns going off and not doing damage?

The 12 to 16 km range should yield 3 hits.

Fire HE at everything until they are under 10 km....

This should help.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts

Lyon is one of my favorite BB's in a line full of favorites.   It just eats things.   True, it's only got what, 13" guns- but you have SIXTEEN of them.   You don't really have to aim with a broadside like that- the shotgun spread will guarantee hits.    This is NOT, I repeat NOT a standard BB brawler.   It'll hurt and kill BB's- but you need to pretend you're in a heavy cruiser and aim accordingly- hitting the armor belt is useless, they will just bounce.

Also, the scads of 5" secondaries this ship has do surprisingly good work- if you put them in a position to do so.  Likewise the AA.

Lyon is a rather small BB -esp at a tier where many of your contemporaries are MASSIVE.  Thus, you get better maneuverability and speed than them.  USE IT!

I'd say keep trying- this ship has it;s own way it wants to be played- if you try and play it otherwise, like as a tank, you will get the results you got.

I would recommend a survivability build, with a minor in the skills/upgrades that improve your secondaries and AA.   That seemed to work best for me.

Mine is on it's third captain- the others got moved up.  (to Alsace and Republique, which are keepers all day long)

Are you playing it in Co-op or Randoms?   Current Co-op meta is decidedly non BB friendly;  and Lyon is kind of a pain to play in campy, long range games.   I'm a huge BB fan, mainly US and French, but mine are all mothballed in port until things change meta-wise.  For now, it's back to my first love: cruisers!

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles

One of my favourite go-to BBS (57% in 156 battles--and I am 66 since age has come up for some reason lol). I have 19-pt Honoré as Captain with enhanced Marksman and Adrenaline. She is a beast in my hands and I really like her. Good AA which surprises CVs often. Even if I did less well with her... 16 guns what's not to like? One of the best DD-killers for a BB as well.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Members
4,199 posts
9,493 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Lyon is a high risk-reward ship that rewards timely risks. It requires a moderately capable hand at the helm, but it's a remarkably un-subtle yet powerful performer.

+1

[RLGN]
Members
12,678 posts
22,518 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

If I could get over liking the Ocean Liner so much and disliking high tiers so much, maybe I’d find out.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,630 posts
12,775 battles
1 hour ago, FlashTX1 said:

The Scharnhorst is a BC (Battlecruiser) not a BB, though it's called a BB in WoWS, what a fun ship!

The "Lucky Scharn" is my favourite T7 ship. Depending on the Battleship it's facing I kind of switch back and forth between Battleship / Battlecruiser.

Actually, anytime I am bottom tiered in a BB I try to play it like a really slow BC.

(exception is the Scharnhorst, it fulfills the need for speed in it's class :Smile_trollface: )

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,064 posts
19,861 battles

There is a reason why the Lyon shines at all levels.  Second to only Nelson with all, and number one with the bottom grinders taken off.

More then any other BB at the tier you need to be aware of what she can and can't do.  She is primarily a cruiser killer.  If shooting BBs, use HE except for the closest, juiciest, broadsides.

wp_ss_20190315_0001.png

wp_ss_20190315_0002.png

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,928 posts
10,435 battles

its not the ship, of course its going to have bad dispersion when its got the most guns of any battleship in the game

Edited by tcbaker777

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles
2 hours ago, RockChunker said:

Before you Millennia's go dashing off to see my stats and take cheap shots,  bite me.  They suck.  I know it.  Let's see how well YOU do at 72.

So, I totally appreciate that not everyone plays the game to win, not everyone has the time, or eyesight or computer to become a super-top-tier player. Hell, my own stats are pretty measly.

That said, having glanced through your stats page I would say that there must be a few fairly basic reasons for why you're being disappointed here. The Lyon is unquestionably a fantastic ship and a joy to play, and if all you're getting out of it is frustration and disappointment then there really is something here which needs to get fixed.

A big problem in this regard is that the game doesn't have a tutorial. I don't know why this is, I think it's a huge mistake, but thankfully the community has stepped up in this regard and provided some great resources both on these forums and on youtube. I strongly recommend that you look up some tutorials on youtube channels like iChaseGaming, Flamu, TheMightyJingles, Noster or NoZoupForYou. Find one or two you like and just make sure there aren't any mechanics you just weren't ever told about. iChase especially has some great material on armour penetration, where to aim, and which shell types to use.

The other recommendation I would make is to avoid freeXPing ships. I know it can seem tempting, but there really isn't anything particularly special about higher tiers. You'll get there eventually, don't worry. Instead, I recommend playing a handful (two or three) of tier 4-6 ships repeatedly until you really start to understand how they play. After a while, you should start seeing tactics repeat, and also notice what counters work best. You'll start to feel familiar with what your ship can and cannot do, and start to see your stats improve. In my view, this game is at its most enjoyable when you really feel you understand what is happening and why.

Anyway, I hope that helps, and hope to see you on the high seas.

• Cool 2

Members
110 posts

You kind of lost me at millennial.  I really don't care what your age is, I'm 43 and just starting out on this game.  I have received some great help from forum members and in game.  I haven't gotten to the Lyon yet but I am working on it.  To come here and assume that everyone is a millennial who looks at your stats is just piss poor attitude right there, and makes you out to be a crotchety old man.  I struggled with a couple ships so far and found that I was just using them wrong.  Going after the wrong targets with the wrong ammo loaded.  You really should look for help before going off bashing a  ship that according to the numbers is a great ship.

Hope you're able to find the assistance you need, or least are able to calm down a bit

[REVY]
Members
6,320 posts
5,168 battles

As Jingles has pointed out, 3 Lyons in a division is a nightmare scenario for the enemy team.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,685 posts
21,154 battles

She's definitely not the most accurate Tier VII BB, her gun size isn't all that great.  But 16 rifles, 16 dice rolls can solve a lot of problems.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[UN1]
Members
827 posts
2,930 battles

I enjoyed Lyon a lot, although I played it during the snowflake event where the reliability of teams was probably the worst I've ever seen.  Definitely a ship I plan on re-buying and keeping permanently in my port.

[GTA]
Members
81 posts
15,585 battles

Lyon is a great ship.   You can still bring 8 main guns to bear while kiting away.  Decent secondaries, enough speed to actually move around the map (looking at you Colorado), and with the full broadside a shot gun that can do surprising damage.  I think my best on a bb is a 22k salvo with 12 hits.  And it dev strikes cruisers all day long.

[GTA]
Members
81 posts
15,585 battles

Lyon is a great ship.   You can still bring 8 main guns to bear while kiting away.  Decent secondaries, enough speed to actually move around the map (looking at you Colorado), and with the full broadside a shot gun that can do surprising damage.  I think my best on a bb is a 22k salvo with 12 hits.  And it dev strikes cruisers all day long.