You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Worst higher tier ship in the game?

57 comments in this topic

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles

I would go with all ships but there are some doozies at low tiers. I just played the Buffalo again for reasons I can't recall. It was sluggish, like a wet sponge, weak....so I stat checked it.....Please help this thing... The Buffalo is easily the worst 8-10 ship in the game.

See the source image

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 2

Members
251 posts
16,799 battles

Stat checked it?

image.thumb.png.6508d87f3f85a58657429013db02c943.png

Its tied with Roon for being the BEST T9 tech tree cruiser and better than the Alaska in just about every meaningful way. The only Cruiser that shines above it at T9 is the Krons.

What more can you ask for? Its got really good armor with the 27mm bow allowing you to easily fight the most common BBs like Bismarck/Tirpitz/Richi/Alsace/Monarch

It also have a 12 gun alpha with USN super heavy shells, its got the famous hydro+radar combo.

To top that off, it also have really good concealment allowing it to get close to dev strike enemy ships, and it have normal cruiser dispersion unlike Alaska.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PQUOD]
Members
1,076 posts
7,701 battles
58 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

The Buffalo is easily the worst 8-10 ship in the game.

Really? I have the Buffalo and I really like it! It is probably the higher tier cruiser I have the most success with. The range of the main battery overshadows it's successor the DM without it spotter plane, and it's premium twin the Salem which has no spotter plane. I find I am not as dependent on islands and smoke to trade blows with other cruisers while driving the Buffalo. 

I can't comment on any one cruiser being the worst in the higher tiers for currently only the USN cruisers are in my port. Plus, I forgone the DM as I was able to get the Salem with coal. From what I've read they are close enough in game play, not exact, but close enough. Didn't really see the reason to get redundancy as I'm limited on port slots.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,401 posts
15,874 battles

Worst High Tier ships in a High Tier match?

I'd say a Tier VIII Cruiser without smoke, repair party.

BBs & DDs scale well for a High Tier match.  The VIII Cruisers are prone to attrition that they cannot repair because Repair Party isn't a standard Cruiser feature until Tier IX.  Add that the only smoke generating Cruisers in Tier VIII are Edinburgh and Kutuzov, High Tier matches in a Tier VIII Cruiser isn't a pleasant time.

You think you can plink away just fine in your Chapayev, Charles Martel, Mogami, etc. in a Tier VIII-X match?  There's plenty other ships who excel at range in High Tier, and many of them, even the IX-X Cruisers, can heal some damage back.  Most those VIII Cruisers can't.

A Tier VIII DD still has stealth, torpedoes.

A Tier VIII BB is still well armed and armored, has repair party access, etc.

Only the typical Tier VIII Cruiser lacks features that the later tier ship types possess.

Atago, Prinz Eugen got Repair Party to help recover some damage back.  But even kewl Baltimore and the Mogami that people like are vulnerable to attrition against many opponents that can recover some HP back.  Charles Martel is a great Open Water Cruiser, pretty dang good at range!  But the IX-X Cruisers she encounters can hit her back just as easily and recover HP back that she can't.

Etc., etc.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
24 minutes ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Stat checked it?

image.thumb.png.6508d87f3f85a58657429013db02c943.png

Its tied with Roon for being the BEST T9 tech tree cruiser and better than the Alaska in just about every meaningful way. The only Cruiser that shines above it at T9 is the Krons.

What more can you ask for? Its got really good armor with the 27mm bow allowing you to easily fight the most common BBs like Bismarck/Tirpitz/Richi/Alsace/Monarch

It also have a 12 gun alpha with USN super heavy shells, its got the famous hydro+radar combo.

To top that off, it also have really good concealment allowing it to get close to dev strike enemy ships, and it have normal cruiser dispersion unlike Alaska.

what ship are you posting? it would be awesome if you included its real stats, assuming you mean the Buffalo. 

The most Ironic thing about you DP is your skill in this game vs the arguments you make on these forums. Next you will tell us as you have numerous times how bad the Stalingrad is...

d1h1dOq.png

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
237 posts
5,437 battles

Frankly i'd have to call it a somewhat close tie between Mogami/Ibuki.

While I do genuinely like using Mogami, it's definitely not the best competitor in the tier bracket, what with it essentially having T5-T6 armor and range at T8-T10.

And while I still don't have Ibuki I honestly don't feel compelled to even acquire it, as it's pretty much the same situation as the Mogami, if not worse.

I've also seen a lot of people calling FDG possibly the worst but having recently finally bought it I wholeheartedly can't say it's the worst, not the best sure, but not the worst. Main problem I see with the FDG is that it relies heavily on individual skill, something that most of us can attest to is...questionable in most cases. The gun dispersion can be utter hogwash though, that's a damn fact.

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

I would go with all ships but there are some doozies at low tiers. I just played the Buffalo again for reasons I can't recall. It was sluggish, like a wet sponge, weak....so I stat checked it.....Please help this thing... The Buffalo is easily the worst 8-10 ship in the game.

See the source image

I love Buffalo. Maybe it just doesn't fit your playstyle because that seems to be the issue for "most" ships when people dislike them.

For me it is a very close contest between Kronshtadt and Roma for the worst high tier ships. For me both are just terrible, awful, horrendously bad due to the awful main guns (terrible accuracy and way too inconsistent performance if you do actually hit something). But if pressed to pick just 1 I would say Roma is slightly worse.

YMMV.

[LBA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,379 posts

If you want to go by winrate...

9103b8e071.png

Top 3 worst ships in the 8~10 range. For T9 only:

5667050d72.png

Buffalo isn't doing great, but doesn't hold the crown of worst T9 ship nor even worst T9 cruiser. Could probably do with a buff. (But holy ship someone help out Trashkent please)

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
4 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

9103b8e071.png

5667050d72.png

Buffalo isn't doing great, but doesn't hold the crown of worst T9 ship nor even worst T9 cruiser. Could probably do with a buff. (But holy ship someone help out Trashkent please)

where are these stats pulled from, they are dramatically different from wows stats.... granted, I Don't know the best source of stats

• Cool 1

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
15 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I love Buffalo. Maybe it just doesn't fit your playstyle because that seems to be the issue for "most" ships when people dislike them.

For me it is a very close contest between Kronshtadt and Roma for the worst high tier ships. For me both are just terrible, awful, horrendously bad due to the awful main guns (terrible accuracy and way too inconsistent performance if you do actually hit something). But if pressed to pick just 1 I would say Roma is slightly worse.

YMMV.

Comically, US cruisers are my favorite ship line. I have 7 19pt captains for US cruisers alone.... the Buff is just awkward, at least to me.

Members
2,077 posts
8,128 battles

It's hard to find a "bad" ship at high tier, they can all be made to work.  But some ships have style of game play that I don't find appealing to me.  For example Moskva, while a good ship, promotes very positional/static game play that I don't particularly enjoy all that much.  GK is all about close-in brawling that is highly situational in current high tier meta.  CVs, while useful, are not exactly my cup of tea for the most part.

[INR]
Members
674 posts
3,756 battles
38 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Izumo, even with the buff. 

Freidrich der Grobe, even with the buff.

Ibuki, grand champion of fail.

Ibuki is actually really fun now that she has Zao's dispersion, but that's just me.

Members
251 posts
16,799 battles
42 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

what ship are you posting? it would be awesome if you included its real stats, assuming you mean the Buffalo. 

The most Ironic thing about you DP is your skill in this game vs the arguments you make on these forums. Next you will tell us as you have numerous times how bad the Stalingrad is...

d1h1dOq.png

I judge ships based on their parameters. And realistically that is the only way to judge a ship.

Server averages doesnt mean anything because the playerbase if different, you have to look at performance by individual players. For example, a unicum doing better in ship X than a potato doing in ship Y doesnt conclude that ship X is better than Y.

Buffalo especially applies into this because it is mostly spammed by the USN playerbase, known to be the worst in the game, hence the lower server averages despite being a better ship.

This is also why the Stalingrad is the worst T10 cruiser despite it having good averages because it is a exclusive ship and mainly played by unicums and super unicums.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[70]
Members
1,057 posts
4,871 battles

Of the Tier 8-9 ships I've played to date, it's a toss-up between Izumo and Neptune for worst ship. (EDIT: After Buffalo reload got buffed, that is)

Neptune agility is just too godawful for a huge barn of a light cruiser to survive with. And Izumo third turret arc is an abomination, plus it gets IFHE-penned painfully easily

Edited by Guardian54

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
17 minutes ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

I judge ships based on their parameters. And realistically that is the only way to judge a ship.

Server averages doesnt mean anything because the playerbase if different, you have to look at performance by individual players. For example, a unicum doing better in ship X than a potato doing in ship Y doesnt conclude that ship X is better than Y.

Buffalo especially applies into this because it is mostly spammed by the USN playerbase, known to be the worst in the game, hence the lower server averages despite being a better ship.

This is also why the Stalingrad is the worst T10 cruiser despite it having good averages because it is a exclusive ship and mainly played by unicums and super unicums.

In Europe it is also the worst, after calling the US the worst player base, would you consider Europe to be the best player base? And since they cant make it work... where do we go from here?

YD1nhHb.png

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
25 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Of the Tier 8-9 ships I've played to date, it's a toss-up between Izumo and Neptune for worst ship.

Neptune agility is just too godawful for a huge barn of a light cruiser to survive with. And Izumo third turret arc is an abomination, plus it gets IFHE-penned painfully easily

FDG is interesting for sure, almost scared to play it.

[LBA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,379 posts
3 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

where are these stats pulled from, they are dramatically different from wows stats.... granted, I Don't know the best source of stats

It's a tool used to filter MapleSyrup's weekly data. http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/ShipAvgList/ShipAvgList.html

wows numbers is not a good stats tool unless a ship has never been changed since data recording started. Because otherwise if a ship gets buffed or nerfed (or more indirectly, a mechanic changes which the ship relies on), wowsnumbers doesn't have the ability to separate post-change data from all the pre-change data.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles
3 hours ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

Posts like this are why nobody listens to unicums.

Members
612 posts
3,335 battles
5 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Izumo, even with the buff. 

Freidrich der Grobe, even with the buff.

Ibuki, grand champion of fail.

At least Ibuki can mount range mod and take fights to extended ranges. Mogami is basically the same squish and has no such luxury and no heal.

[KNTAI]
Members
2,188 posts
9,528 battles
5 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

9103b8e071.png

5667050d72.png

Tashkent would be a perfectly balanced ship if it got cruiser matchmaking. In games when you have 3-4 DDs per side it does fine, but holy s*** does it suck to have to cap in your 8.9 detect no smoke tashkent in a single DD, CV game 'cause MM decided to pair you against a yugumo.

[WORX]
Members
2,572 posts
13,955 battles

All high tiers BBs are either OP or boarder line near it. Its not BBs

All High tier cruisers are gun fodder for BBs. Its possible to choose any of them.

All high tier DDs except

• RU
  • American

Can be considered the worst high tier ships in the game.

OR high tier CVs due to no fault of their own (after nerfs from 8.0.1 till current) can be considered worst ship class in the whole game atm.

Pick your pick :P

• Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[KNTAI]
Members
2,188 posts
9,528 battles
8 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

OR high tier CVs due to no fault of their own (after nerfs from 8.0.1 till current) can be considered worst ship class in the whole game atm.

*Laughs in 140k average damage Midway*

Edited by Gavroche_
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1