You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

To destroyers who complain about being 'permaspotted by CVs', I have some simple advice

81 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
611 posts

Turn your damn AA off. It can make a huge difference. At higher tiers especially, your AA range will be twice what your aerial detection range is. Having your AA on if you aren't under direct attack or trying to support a friendly under air attack just gives your position away to the enemy carrier and, in turn, the carriers team.

Is it guaranteed to protect you? No, of course not. But making it harder for the enemy CV to know where you are will improve your life expectancy.

• Cool 19
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 7
  • Angry 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,458 battles
3 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Turn your damn AA off. It can be that simple. At higher tiers especially, your AA range will be twice what your aerial detection range is. Having your AA on unless you are under direct attack or trying to support a friendly under air attack just gives your position away to the enemy carrier and, in turn, the carriers team.

Is it guaranteed to protect you? No, of course not. But making it harder for the enemy CV to know where you are will improve your life expectancy.

Let the downvotes from destroyer mains commence.

Question, what if you have a US DD like the Sims with decent AA (At least for a Destroyer) with 400% DFAA and Zone Boost?  Still keep it off?

Seriously asking.

Thanks.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
611 posts
Just now, SJ_Sailer said:

Question, what if you have a US DD like the Sims with decent AA (At least for a Destroyer) with 400% DFAA and Zone Boost?  Still keep it off?

Seriously asking.

Thanks.

Turn it on if you are under direct attack or trying to support a friendly under attack.

Rest of the time you are better off keeping it off.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
Just now, SJ_Sailer said:

Seriously asking.

Thanks.

Yes absolutely, keep it off until you are spotted by planes, then turn it on and pop that DFAA, you'll catch them by surprise and probably take down a bunch of planes as he tries to boost out of there.

• Cool 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,458 battles
2 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Turn it on if you are under direct attack or trying to support a friendly under attack.

Rest of the time you are better off keeping it off.

Thanks, that was what I was doing but was beginning to second guess myself because when I did turn it on it did kill some planes and CV left me alone the rest of the battle.

[808]
Supertester
334 posts
5,798 battles

At this point in the game, referencing the poor/lazy players that abound these days, if I overfly a DD that has his AA off I will just keep going.

Reason?  He is obviously playing his ship, will be really difficult to hit and return minimal reward for the effort.

Better to continue to scout for the lone wolf, solo lazy non-team player that hates to join the ‘lemmings’.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,458 battles
4 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Yes absolutely, keep it off until you are spotted by planes, then turn it on and pop that DFAA, you'll catch them by surprise and probably take down a bunch of planes as he tries to boost out of there.

Exactly, thanks.

[MHG]
Members
31 posts
2,459 battles

See the rage thread from earlier. Keep it off... I wont even bother trying to drop you early game because it just isn't worth the time to turn around only for you to pop smoke and sit there for 60 seconds. CV provides much better utility forcing people out of position or dealing with single over-extended ships than trying to play with RNG on bombs/rockets and your ability to wiggle vs my ability to drop you. I can pretty consistently hit 100k in Midway but in general those are from BBs and cruisers that I can actually hit with a good amount of certainty, not from DDs that actually have adjusted to the shift in play. It is almost never worth my time to chase you down early unless you have made yourself that target that is both over-extended AND easy to find.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,519 posts
10,213 battles
8 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Seriously asking.

Thanks.

Once you are spotted by the CV, turn it on or you are giving free shots to the CV.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
611 posts
4 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Thanks, that was what I was doing but was beginning to second guess myself because when I did turn it on it did kill some planes and CV left me alone the rest of the battle.

Yeah, generally I don't prioritize hitting destroyers in my carriers unless they are a direct threat to me or are low health and can be picked off with rockets. Rest of the time, if they are playing smart, their detection radius is too small to accurately line up for an attack run if their AA is off.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,528 posts
11,886 battles

I think wg need put a big red alert in begin of ever match for dds players:

Turn your damn AA off

Or just start the match all dds with the AA off.

• Angry 1

[SIM]
Members
3,043 posts
4,846 battles

It's...not that simple, but knowing when to turn your AA off is a big deal now, something that a lot of DD players haven't gotten their heads around. The other lessons are not to rush out alone, to stick with strong AA ships during the early parts of a game, and to know when it's safe to "detach" and start playing like a maverick.

• Cool 1

Members
251 posts
16,799 battles
19 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Seriously asking.

Thanks.

You shouldnt be running DFAA on Sims

Usually the exception is when diving with a CV but there arent any T7 CVs anymore and you shouldnt do an offset div.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,458 battles
17 minutes ago, Cakeman826 said:

See the rage thread from earlier. Keep it off... I wont even bother trying to drop you early game because it just isn't worth the time to turn around only for you to pop smoke and sit there for 60 seconds. CV provides much better utility forcing people out of position or dealing with single over-extended ships than trying to play with RNG on bombs/rockets and your ability to wiggle vs my ability to drop you. I can pretty consistently hit 100k in Midway but in general those are from BBs and cruisers that I can actually hit with a good amount of certainty, not from DDs that actually have adjusted to the shift in play. It is almost never worth my time to chase you down early unless you have made yourself that target that is both over-extended AND easy to find.

What about if we are concerned about being spotted in or near cap and being focus fired.  Actually we are focus fired no matter where we are.   Is IJN AA good enough to make you leave or will it take a smoke charge?  Love to hear advice from that side of the aisle.

I mean after we are spotted with AA off of course...

Edited by SJ_Sailer

[MHG]
Members
31 posts
2,459 battles
7 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

What about if we are concerned about being spotted in or near cap and being focus fired.  Actually we are focus fired no matter where we are.   Is IJN AA good enough to make you leave or will it take a smoke charge?  Love to hear advice from that side of the aisle.

Depends- If you are by yourself a CV can strike you anyways. The only exception to that is Wooster, Minotaur and sometimes DM. Other then that we can for sure drop at least one pass of a squad on you even if it costs a few planes to do it. Thats why you see CVs drop random torps into islands and such. We are just minimizing our losses from running into more aa than the planes can handle. My advice is this. If you see planes just leave the aa off until either 1- you know you are the target or 2- you have enough other aa ships within reasonable distance to keep me from wanting to make that turn to make the drop on you. Smoke will save you most of the time but you have to also understand that your aa shells give us a pretty good idea of where to drop blindly in smoke. 

DDs do not have the aa power to make me leave them alone by themselves anyways- no exceptions. If you are solo you are a reasonable strike even if i lose a couple planes to do it. Gearing and Kidd aa can take some planes down but dropping a few before we make the run keeps the losses low and if even one run from a dive bombers squad is successful, there is a pretty good chance you will lose a pretty significant portion of your hp pool.

Edited by Cakeman826

[ARP2]
Members
454 posts
4,198 battles

"Just turn AA off lol"

Destroyer death rate drops to 0%

Edited by AyanoMidori
  • Bad 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,458 battles
4 minutes ago, Cakeman826 said:

Depends- If you are by yourself a CV can strike you anyways. The only exception to that is Wooster, Minotaur and sometimes DM. Other then that we can for sure drop at least one pass of a squad on you even if it costs a few planes to do it. Thats why you see CVs drop random torps into islands and such. We are just minimizing our losses from running into more aa than the planes can handle. My advice is this. If you see planes just leave the aa off until either 1- you know you are the target or 2- you have enough other aa ships within reasonable distance to keep me from wanting to make that turn to make the drop on you. Smoke will save you most of the time but you have to also understand that your aa shells give us a pretty good idea of where to drop blindly in smoke. 

I have been pretty lucky so far to hold my own with CV in Sims even going toe to toe end of game with a CV trying to reset the cap.

Have to ask why do torps keep going under me and not exploding?  I dodge most but every now and then one gets me but does not explode.  Scares the hell out of me.

Members
3,357 posts
1,503 battles
19 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

I think wg need put a big red alert in begin of ever match for dds players:

Turn your damn AA off

Or just start the match all dds with the AA off.

Well, they have added signs for BB players.

• Funny 3
  • Angry 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,429 posts

I doubt if the downvotes would be for the advice - the advice is good.

Similar to don't sail in a straight line or use your damage control at the first fire. Or show broadside to a BB; or overextend if you are a BB! All good advice.

Nope, any downvotes are likely because you've managed to deliver something that could have been constructive, in a manner that's similar to curling a big one on the floor - it stinks! But I guess that was your intention(?) :Smile_honoring:

(I hope the moderators can at least see the funny side of the above clip and the way it ties in with the poster trying to help, but not doing it in a 100% good way :Smile_smile:)

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[MHG]
Members
31 posts
2,459 battles
2 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Have to ask why do torps keep going under me and not exploding?

If the cv drops too late or you turn into the torps then most likely what is happening is the torpedo does not have enough time to arm itself. Essentially, it would be a wasted drop. We get no ribbon or points from it and you suffer no damage from an unarmed torpedo.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
611 posts
5 minutes ago, AyanoMidori said:

"Just turn AA off lol"

Destroyer death rate drops to 0%

Oh hi troll.

Clearly didn't bother reading the whole post since I outright admitted it's not a guarantee.

• Bad 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
626 posts
1,458 battles
2 minutes ago, Cakeman826 said:

If the cv drops too late or you turn into the torps then most likely what is happening is the torpedo does not have enough time to arm itself. Essentially, it would be a wasted drop. We get no ribbon or points from it and you suffer no damage from an unarmed torpedo.

So dropping on a DD that is broadside but actively turning into the torps can cause you to miss the arming distance?  So best advice is still to turn into torps I guess.  Sims does have a tight turning radius.

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,528 posts
11,886 battles
7 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Well, they have added signs for BB players.

They need put a bigger signs too! xD

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
611 posts
2 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I doubt if the downvotes would be for the advice - the advice is good.

Similar to don't sail in a straight line or use your damage control at the first fire. Or show broadside to a BB; or overextend if you are a BB! All good advice.

Nope, any downvotes are likely because you've managed to deliver something that could have been constructive, in a manner that's similar to curling a big one on the floor - it stinks! But I guess that was your intention(?) :Smile_honoring:

Nah, baDDies have a tendency to refuse to admit them getting sunk was their fault. Saw a DD player whine that it took him thirty seconds to get away from a radar boat and when people pointed out that meant he got too close he went into denial.