You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gen_Saris

Why no special Japanese commander?

35 comments in this topic

Members
1,933 posts
8,586 battles

I see American, British, French, Russian and German special commanders for sale in the Arsenal. Why no Japanese? The IJN is one of the original trees of the game. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,933 posts
8,586 battles
5 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

You seem to be overlooking Yamamoto Isoroku, who was added to the game in 2017.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Yamamoto_Isoroku

Is he in the arsenal? NO.

Neither is Halsey. 

I'm talking about the ones with 2 slightly improved skills that are available in the arsenal for doubloons or coal. Two for each of the main nations, EXCEPT Japan.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,985 posts
4,104 battles

There have been no special commanders for doubloons/missions previously, so they are not available in the arsenal

Members
1,933 posts
8,586 battles
3 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

There have been no special commanders for doubloons/missions previously, so they are not available in the arsenal

And WHY is that? Why is the Japanese line being neglected? Seems it takes the Japanese line a long time to get anything compared to the others. They should have just as much stuff as the US line, considering they've been around for the same amount of time. 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,579 posts
12,519 battles

I agree, there needs to be a vanilla IJN special commander. USN has Doe brothers and Halsey. IJN only has Yamamoto. IJN ships need that buffed EM the most too!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,335 posts
11,208 battles
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

And WHY is that? Why is the Japanese line being neglected?

Possibly because Russian naval history enthusiasts remember a certain battle that happened about 114 years ago and do not look with love upon the Imperial Japanese Navy? IDK.

Kitikaze and Harugumo are... very interesting additions to the Japanese line. The US hasn't had a destroyer split; heaven knows, it could probably support one. But yeah, I wouldn't mind a pair of Japanese brothers. Hell, even the Pan-Asians got that, although you had to fight hard to win one and buy the other if you wanted both.

Members
1,695 posts
8,603 battles
43 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Why is the Japanese line being neglected?

At the time Yamamoto was introduced neither the Arsenal, Halsey, or anyone but the captain formerly known as Steven Seagal was a thing. I think its been an oversight more than anything, or maybe they justify it because Yamamoto is quite potent .

• Cool 1

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,850 battles
45 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Possibly because Russian naval history enthusiasts remember a certain battle that happened about 114 years ago and do not look with love upon the Imperial Japanese Navy? IDK.

And to think this forum once claimed Tsushima as the reason behind the IJN superiority in game.  Oh how times have changed.

Members
1,933 posts
8,586 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

And to think this forum once claimed Tsushima as the reason behind the IJN superiority in game.  Oh how times have changed.

Historically IJN ships were better than USN ships... we just outnumbered them something like four to one.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
1,309 posts
7,116 battles

This is going to sound a bit silly to those that are not big fans of co-op, but I want to know why the Yamamoto campaign isn't able to be done in co-op, but Halsey's is. Considering that they are roughly equal, it doesn't really make much sense other than Yamamoto was added first, perhaps before they realized that some people might want him less for his (admittedly awesome for PVP) special skills and more for collecting and historical value. Some players just prefer the PVE experience to randoms for one reason or another, and most of the people that would go to the trouble of slowly grinding the same two missions per stage, with minimal rewards given (rewards are not given out for completion of repeat missions) are not the sort that are going to be out there abusing the "special abilities" of the captain that only work in PVP anyways. 

[CAST]
Members
4,862 posts
3,407 battles

Ha, ironically, I was just about to post this also.

IJN desperately needs an Arsenal commander. Yamamoto is only available after a long high tier ships campaign. Meanwhile, every other nation, including the much less played Pan Asian line, has a commander available for purchase with doubloons immediately. And I'm tired of my IJN spares being a bunch of anime characters from the ARP ships.

• Cool 3

Members
1,214 posts
7,042 battles
1 hour ago, Gen_Saris said:

And WHY is that? Why is the Japanese line being neglected? Seems it takes the Japanese line a long time to get anything compared to the others. They should have just as much stuff as the US line, considering they've been around for the same amount of time. 

The USA has more commanders than the Japanese because of Steven Seagal who became John Doe and like all special commanders got cloned to be sold in the Arsenal. Otherwise they'd just have Halsey like the Japanese just have Yamamato. There's no grand anti-Japanese conspiracy here. 

[WLDD]
Members
119 posts
5,944 battles
23 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Historically IJN ships were better than USN ships... we just outnumbered them something like four to one.

Nope.  They tried to make their ships individually superior, but didn’t really succeed.  They did try to put more weaponry on their ships, but that came with side effects...they had more structural issues than the USN ships.  The real life 155 Mogamis had 1/2 the rof of the USN’s St Louis and Brooklyn class ships.  (This game buffed mogami and nerfed Helena for balance...which is OK.  Real CAs fires slower except for DM with its 5-6sec reload.

I would like to see some unique IJN commanders added.  I’ve neglected grinding the IJN lines, but I’m starting to make my way up them now.  Mutsuki was my favorite T5 DD :cap_haloween:

Edited by CharlesBB55

[WOLF3]
Members
23,583 posts
21,123 battles
35 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Dubious.

Edit:

Actually false.

Fletcher-class

Baltimore-class.  14 of these new, fancy CAs.

North Carolina-class

South Dakota-class

Iowa-class

Cleveland-class (most numerous CLs produced, none lost in combat)

Essex-class Tidal Wave

I'll even go on and say the USN Standard BBs would go toe-to-toe with the IJN BBs that weren't Yamato-class.  The Japanese had only 2 Yamato-class.  The IJN also had 2 16" armed BBs.  The USN eventually would be swimming in 16" armed Battleships, even though they didn't need them and had Carriers as a higher priority.  The typical IJN BB gun size was 356mm.

Proximity Fuses

Radar handed out like candy.  The Japanese didn't get a Radar set onto a DD for fighting in the Solomons until 1943.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[CSALT]
Members
1,393 posts

Is he in the arsenal? NO.

Neither is Halsey. 

I'm talking about the ones with 2 slightly improved skills that are available in the arsenal for doubloons or coal. Two for each of the main nations, EXCEPT Japan.

Last I checked there were no Commonwealth or Pan-American captains either.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,363 posts
672 battles
27 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

And to think this forum once claimed Tsushima as the reason behind the IJN superiority in game.

A dev actually claimed that.

27 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Historically IJN ships were better than USN ships...

Citation needed. You can pick nearly any Japanese ship and any US ship from equal time periods and each will have it's ups and downs. Saying the IJN's ships were "better" is just painting things with far too broad a brush. 

[NMKJT]
Members
4,062 posts
33 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

And we had radar assist and IJN command was basically dysfunctional

[WOLF3]
Members
23,583 posts
21,123 battles
9 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Citation needed. You can pick nearly any Japanese ship and any US ship from equal time periods and each will have it's ups and downs. Saying the IJN's ships were "better" is just painting things with far too broad a brush. 

8l1N9Ss.png

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles

The Japanese stuff is generally better than their US tech tree counterparts so I do not see how they are being neglected.

Members
1,536 posts
10 battles
42 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

You are so wrong is is almost unbelievable. USN advances in radar controlled gunnery ment the Japanese had ZERO chance when engaging the USN after 1942. HEre is an after action report of the Battle of Empress Bay where USN cruisers and Destroyers SMASHED a "Superior" IJN force in a lopsided engagement.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles

I wish they'd make a special commander that boosts brawling capabilities of ships.
Like more range on secondaries, and better fire prevention. (since captains seem to boost existing skills, they could boost AFT for secondaries and FP itself).
Alternatively, one could allow for the T4 skill  "manual secondaries" to keep firing on the other side even when shift-clicked a target.

I'd love a commander for these buffs.  More secondary range (AFT) and MS keep firing.  that would be so cool.
[EDIT] Bonus points if that commander has great secondary ships to be put into (Germans, USN(Massachusetts ), Japanese(Mikasa, and a few others).

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,818 posts
4,361 battles
2 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

I see American, British, French, Russian and German special commanders for sale in the Arsenal. Why no Japanese? The IJN is one of the original trees of the game. 

WG is still salty about Tsushima. ~Partial /s

46 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I think its been an oversight more than anything, or maybe they justify it because Yamamoto is quite potent .

Halsey is technically more potent as it's easier to unlock his bonuses, and it wasn't oversight. One of the Devs on Reddit (Ard or Sub) had mentioned that the IJN was passed over just because they got the lion's share of Collaboration Commanders.

This wouldn't be an issue if WG would just make ALL Collaboration and Event Commanders have special bonuses, like the "Twin Commanders". Especially since the ARP ones had a painful grind, and the fact that the AZ, HSF, and some Event Commanders had to be purchased just like the special captains in the first place, for similar cost. It would go a long way towards making Special Captains for Japan more available, as well as also buffing the few others for the other nations. For example:

Spoiler
  • HSF Akeno - Improved EM + TAE.
  • HSF Moeka - Improved EM + JoaT.
  • HSF Thea - Improved EM + Vigilance.
  • HSF Isoroku (the Cat) - Improved Adrenaline Rush (-0.3% Reload) + SE.
  • All Other HSF Commanders - Improved EM + 1 of the following: PE or High Alert or JoaT.

• ARP Takao - Improved EM + TAE.
  • ARP Nachi - Improved EM + Vigilance.
  • ARP Kongou - Improved EM + AR.
  • ARP Haruna - Improved PM + AFT (+40% secondary range, normal AA bonus). No EM.
  • ARP Hiei - Improved EM + Vigilance.
  • ARP Iona and Gunzou - Improved CE (Old Bonuses) + TAE.
  • All Other ARP Commanders - Improved EM + 1 of the following: PE or High Alert or JoaT.

• AL Enterprise - Improved Air Supremacy (Aircraft Restoration Time -10%) + Aiming Stabilization (+10% Attack Aircraft and Torpedo Bomber Aiming Speed. Dive Bomber Aiming Speed remains +10%). Also has improved EM, but more for those that won't use her on CVs.
  • AL Cleveland - Improved Vigilance + JoaT
  • AL Aurora - Improved EM + JoaT
  • AL Nelson - Improved EM + JoaT
  • AL Hood - Improved EM + BFT (mainly for the AA component)
  • AL Hipper - Improved Vigilance + JoaT
  • AL Belfast - Improved Superintendent only (+2 to Consumables). No EM.

• Dusty Rhodes - Improved EM + SE
  • All Event (Halloween and Space) Commanders - Improved EM + 1 of the following: PE or High Alert or JoaT.

[187]
Members
1,626 posts
10,046 battles
2 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

I'm sorry LOL....Midway nerf vs IJN was a crud show of unbalanced gameplay for prob a year...your preaching to the choir now.

Members
3,089 posts
12,080 battles
3 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

It could have something to do with Japanese commanders available from various anime collaborations.  There's whooping 12 ARP commanders (that all came with 10 points to start), plus the cat, and even couple of dragon themed commanders, plus some HSF captains, all available for use across all IJN ships.  No other nation has the sheer number of these commanders like IJN does.

• Cool 1