Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Browncoat_

Something I've noticed playing CV's

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

185
[DENY2]
Members
154 posts
2,451 battles

Something I've noticed playing in my Lexington, it's just how dumb some of these tier 10 battleship players and cruiser players are.

So going in to drop torpedoes on a Yamato (and let's be honest Lexington torpedoes to a Yamato are like a mosquito bite) yet he turns full broadside to a Montana who is about 8k away and he went I'm almost full health to about 1k in one salvo from the Montana. I am seeing more and more battleships and cruisers go completely broadside to the enemy team to avoid torpedoes from an aircraft carrier, I'm sorry but what are they thinking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
870
[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

A friend of mine isn't very fond of CV games, but at least likes how many cruiser and BB broadsides I expose for him. He pretty often gets 2k+ base exp from all the damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
853 posts
14,046 battles

Old habits die hard. People still remember the alpha strike days when torps hurt.

I think t was Notser who had a recent video saying he just steams ahead and takes torps if it meant giving broadside.

Players will gradually learn this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,139
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,565 posts
12,592 battles

Yeah, was playing a game in my Monty yesterday and was torped so many times I list count by a Midway and was first encounter like that. I was shocked how little damage it did. I quit trying to avoid them. It did very little damage with zero flooding. Actually felt kind of sorry for the CV player because he was so focused on torpedoing me attempt after attempt with nothing really to show for it except getting his planes wiped.

 

It actually helped me to make my decision to not push any further into the USN CV line. I have the Lexington, I got that far pre 8.0 rework. Awful expensive ship to be a Co-op ship or port queen.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
70
[SYJ]
Members
313 posts
11,333 battles

If you are in a bottom tier CV, you are only a threat to DDs and annoyance to the rest of the enemy team.

Air dropped torpedoes are such a joke from what they used to be. I think tier 2 DDs have more effective torps then most of the CVs, that's not saying much in regard to their effectiveness.

The only effective option the USN CVs have are Dive bombers ( until they get nerfed balanced ). Fighters with "Tiny Tims" / "ROLF Rokitz" are distant second viable alternative

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,491 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 12:32 PM, _Browncoat_ said:

Something I've noticed playing in my Lexington, it's just how dumb some of these tier 10 battleship players and cruiser players are.

So going in to drop torpedoes on a Yamato (and let's be honest Lexington torpedoes to a Yamato are like a mosquito bite) yet he turns full broadside to a Montana who is about 8k away and he went I'm almost full health to about 1k in one salvo from the Montana. I am seeing more and more battleships and cruisers go completely broadside to the enemy team to avoid torpedoes from an aircraft carrier, I'm sorry but what are they thinking? 

And this is one of the biggest gripes of CV players (next to how jacked up and OP AA is).  If a ship can fire a salvo and take 1/3-3/4 of your health, why can’t a CV that lands all of its torpedos from its squadron (a pretty rare feat to begin with), do the same?  I hit with 6 torpedos, I get maybe 12-15k damage.  I do the same thing in a cruiser or DD, and it’s a sunk ship.  CV’s only need a slight damage buff, and AA needs a slight nerf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,422
[CAST]
Members
4,862 posts
3,402 battles

I have no problems with CV players losing their alpha strike potential as long as their planes survive long enough to be able to do most of their drops.

Problem right now is that AA is much too strong, especially when a carrier is bottom tier. So what happens now is that planes do low damage AND don't live long enough to do more.

But yeah ... carriers are there to shake things up. Their whole focus is anti-camping and they are there to punish (read: tickle) ships that try and anchor themselves into a fixed position where they would normally take little or no damage. So I'm very happy they exist for that one reason alone.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[MHG]
Members
296 posts
7,060 battles

Honestly think it just ingrained into peoples head to not take a torp at whatever cost. I've turned battleships and cruisers alike with a seemingly crappy torp drop that they turn away from only to get brutalized by a nearby friendly that they were angled to. They could have just taken the torps and at most lost a few thousand hp but instead will gladly turn broad and go back to port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[MHG]
Members
296 posts
7,060 battles
2 hours ago, Sierra1968 said:

And this is one of the biggest gripes of CV players (next to how jacked up and OP AA is).  If a ship can fire a salvo and take 1/3-3/4 of your health, why can’t a CV that lands all of its torpedos from its squadron (a pretty rare feat to begin with), do the same?  I hit with 6 torpedos, I get maybe 12-15k damage.  I do the same thing in a cruiser or DD, and it’s a sunk ship.  CV’s only need a slight damage buff, and AA needs a slight nerf.

To be fair if us CVs were pulling 20-30k torp runs games would be much shorter with much more frustration overall on the other players. As an average midway player I am still consistently hitting 100k damage pretty easily. Contrary to popular belief you can in fact do multiple runs against the same target and still come out with planes if you play it right. Imagine dropping a Montana and hitting 5 of the 6 torps. He loses 25k on run one. You boost out make a turn at the 7km mark and begin the next attack run. Again you hit a fair amount of torps. He is down another 20k. In 2 runs you have ran him over for 45k damage plus whatever flooding you get (if any). Now take this and throw it into a game where T8s get tossed into the mix. Now you are damn near deleting Bismarck in a single run. And you can do it within 2 minutes of the match starting. Would be pretty painful no?

I do agree that maybe an increased flood chance should be given or maybe a little bit more damage on the torps but not both. When you have BBs that truck full ahead and eat all 6 torps and laugh it off it is a bit unsatisfying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[POP]
Members
666 posts
7,028 battles

The best part is when that BB takes a full broadside from an enemy BB to avoid all but one of your torps then complains about your CV being O.P.

Currently the C.V. biggest impact is spotting DD's, pushing stationary targets out in the open and forcing damage con so your team can get another fire/flood on them.

I say spotting DD's because killing one (unless it is sitting still) requires multiple squadrons and valuable time trying to find them with the next wave of planes.  Playing my saipan I can land all bombs and rockets on a t8 dd and only take 1/3 of their life.  I find it better to hit them once then hover over while my team wears them down.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[POP]
Members
666 posts
7,028 battles
20 hours ago, Cakeman826 said:

To be fair if us CVs were pulling 20-30k torp runs games would be much shorter with much more frustration overall on the other players. As an average midway player I am still consistently hitting 100k damage pretty easily. Contrary to popular belief you can in fact do multiple runs against the same target and still come out with planes if you play it right. Imagine dropping a Montana and hitting 5 of the 6 torps. He loses 25k on run one. You boost out make a turn at the 7km mark and begin the next attack run. Again you hit a fair amount of torps. He is down another 20k. In 2 runs you have ran him over for 45k damage plus whatever flooding you get (if any). Now take this and throw it into a game where T8s get tossed into the mix. Now you are damn near deleting Bismarck in a single run. And you can do it within 2 minutes of the match starting. Would be pretty painful no?

I do agree that maybe an increased flood chance should be given or maybe a little bit more damage on the torps but not both. When you have BBs that truck full ahead and eat all 6 torps and laugh it off it is a bit unsatisfying. 

I think a good compromise for this would be an exponential increase with damage and fire/flooding based on how many torps/rockets/bombs of an individual salvo land.

Reward the surface ship for actively maneuvering by minimizing damage from single bombs hitting but punish the one that sits still and just eats them.  At least this way there is some reward for the CV when he picks good targets and sets up good bomb runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25
[ASHIP]
Members
83 posts
7,614 battles

     The trick with the saipan attack planes is to hit them broadside with the rockets for max damage, I made a pass and hit 4 out of 6 on a benson and did 12k dmg, and really all rockets do the most damage broadside which the Dds are figuring which is why they are into or away now when you make your run on them   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
466
[POP]
Members
666 posts
7,028 battles
1 hour ago, JamesZ28 said:

     The trick with the saipan attack planes is to hit them broadside with the rockets for max damage, I made a pass and hit 4 out of 6 on a benson and did 12k dmg, and really all rockets do the most damage broadside which the Dds are figuring which is why they are into or away now when you make your run on them   

I am aware of this, most runs net multiple rocket hits however they seem to be much more effective at incapacitating modules rather than doing any real damage.  I seem to do more actual damage with dive bombers however the dive bombers are a no go if the DD has any aa support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,175
Members
2,511 posts
4,197 battles
On 3/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, KaptainKaybe said:

I have no problems with CV players losing their alpha strike potential as long as their planes survive long enough to be able to do most of their drops.

Problem right now is that AA is much too strong, especially when a carrier is bottom tier. So what happens now is that planes do low damage AND don't live long enough to do more.

But yeah ... carriers are there to shake things up. Their whole focus is anti-camping and they are there to punish (read: tickle) ships that try and anchor themselves into a fixed position where they would normally take little or no damage. So I'm very happy they exist for that one reason alone.

That last AA boost before the rework went live killed it.  It also killed most of the incoming CV population because people don't like being melted before they can do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[BTT]
Members
167 posts
2,876 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Yeah, was playing a game in my Monty yesterday and was torped so many times I list count by a Midway and was first encounter like that. I was shocked how little damage it did. I quit trying to avoid them. It did very little damage with zero flooding. Actually felt kind of sorry for the CV player because he was so focused on torpedoing me attempt after attempt with nothing really to show for it except getting his planes wiped.

 

It actually helped me to make my decision to not push any further into the USN CV line. I have the Lexington, I got that far pre 8.0 rework. Awful expensive ship to be a Co-op ship or port queen.

Perfectly true, and a perfect example of WG stupidity.  The only time I try to avoid the CV torps is when I lost track and think they are DD torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
683
[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,230 battles

Love this thread

It is so very true.

Everybody panics about the CV ...

But the damage they usually take is a result of that panic, and not from the CV.

I suspect players will learn this eventually, say in six months to a year.

Until then I will continue to DELIBERATELY drop from directions that make ships turn broadside to my team-mates.

I know my CV will never give me that devastating strike.

But, I know my CV can force panicking players to make stupid mistakes.

Until it doesn't.

Which is probably when I'll stop playing CVs until Wargaming realises they aren't the incarnation of everything that is evil that BB and DD mains say they are...

And yes, I am constantly amazed how many of those BBs I just air-torped for 4k damage -  but got obliterated by multiple citadels or DD torps  - get on chat and get all potty-mouthed with me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×