You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kevik70

CV's shouldn't be able to...

45 comments in this topic

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles

... launch planes while sitting still. Don't know if that will change much but for some reason it really annoy's me when CV's don't even bother moving from the start point or cram themselves into a corner of the map near the end of the game. If the CV is going, I don't know, say less than say 20 knots , then planes can't take off from the deck. Pretty simple really and kinda realistic, since carriers historically needed to get wind across the deck to get their planes into the air instead of going splat in the water. What will this change in game? Well for starters it will take at least a few more seconds before CV's start raining fire upon hapless dd's at the start of the game since they need to pick up some semblance of speed (See many games where a dd loses 20-25% of their health in the first 2 minutes after a CV bee-lines it to their position) and the dumber CV players may at times forget their ship is on auto pilot and sail it somewhere stupid, say in front of the enemy team perhaps? Or at the very least, CV's won't run straight for the back corner of the map because then they won't be able to launch planes from the most cowardly position in the game. Seems reasonable to me anyways.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[_-_]
Members
2,932 posts
8,088 battles
4 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

... launch planes while sitting still. Don't know if that will change much but for some reason it really annoy's me when CV's don't even bother moving from the start point or cram themselves into a corner of the map near the end of the game. If the CV is going, I don't know, say less than say 20 knots , then planes can't take off from the deck. Pretty simple really and kinda realistic, since carriers historically needed to get wind across the deck to get their planes into the air instead of going splat in the water. What will this change in game? Well for starters it will take at least a few more seconds before CV's start raining fire upon hapless dd's at the start of the game since they need to pick up some semblance of speed (See many games where a dd loses 20-25% of their health in the first 2 minutes after a CV bee-lines it to their position) and the dumber CV players may at times forget their ship is on auto pilot and sail it somewhere stupid, say in front of the enemy team perhaps? Or at the very least, CV's won't run straight for the back corner of the map because then they won't be able to launch planes from the most cowardly position in the game. Seems reasonable to me anyways.

Being an arcade shooter and not a simulation, our game will never require "turning into the wind" for flight ops.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles

Shift Click 1 inch forward, 1 inch backward, 1 inch forward, 1 inch backward, etc on the map, or draw a circle.   

I got around your proposed change.

[KIA]
Members
241 posts
12,473 battles
3 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

I don't feel this would particularly change much for the good CV players who are typically always having their CV on the move in some capacity.  You'd also need to institute some semblance of throttle control at a minimum for the player while his planes are in the air if we're still on the whole "you can't control both the hull and the planes" and took your idea as a balancing step.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles
Just now, So_lt_Goes said:

Being an arcade shooter and not a simulation, our game will never require "turning into the wind" for flight ops.

Well there is no wind in the game but just going 30 knots in circles fixes that. 

Members
772 posts

Its not like they really take off from your cv, they just spawn at the end of the deck.   Not to mention there is no wind to turn into ingame.  

[_-_]
Members
2,932 posts
8,088 battles
3 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Well there is no wind in the game but just going 30 knots in circles fixes that. 

Maybe it would, and feel free to do so if it gives you a better feeling of realism, but if you're expecting Lesta to change the game mechanics to incorporate this, don't hold your breath.

Edited by So_lt_Goes

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles
3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Shift Click 1 inch forward, 1 inch backward, 1 inch forward, 1 inch backward, etc on the map, or draw a circle.   

I got around your proposed change.

What if that circle brings you in front of the enemy because you forgot to change it when you flank collapsed. Doesn't change much but it does increase the chance of a dumb CV player doing something dumb.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,915 posts
14,260 battles

Want_realistic_thing_how_benefits_me_on_arcade_game _thread.jpg

• Cool 1

[PHASE]
Members
5,737 posts
18,645 battles

Sometimes leaving it in the middle is the easiest way to determine which flank is full of failbots as well as ease of getting to all caps quickly. But I understand the core of your point concerning scrub CV players...I don't know how we can get rid of them.... without going back to the dead horse MM argument.   

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

Sometimes leaving it in the middle is the easiest way to determine which flank is full of failbots as well as ease of getting to all caps quickly. But I understand the core of your point concerning scrub CV players...I don't know how we can get rid of them.... without going back to the dead horse MM argument.   

At the bare minimum it will keep them out of the corners, well at least they will be useless in the corner.

[NOBS]
Members
1,121 posts
8,277 battles

If they add wind, they better add waves, big ones! And barf bags, big ones!

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
26,590 posts
6,682 battles
18 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

... launch planes while sitting still. 

No ships should be able to sit still. Just as no captain would launch planes without a headwind over the deck from a (non catapult equipped) CV, no captain in their right mind would give up steerageway and drop anchor (to avoid drifting into the island they're hugging) in a combat situation.

[-TOG-]
Members
172 posts
1,779 battles
15 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

At the bare minimum it will keep them out of the corners, well at least they will be useless in the corner.

CV play is ALREADY pretty complex. How about we implement this, but also require all surface ships to be going over 15kph or suffer 50% larger cone-of-fire. You know, since island camping is such a problem too. 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
12,340 posts

Better make sure no ships can just island camp then as well and while were at it, no torp reloads or instant stopping of fires and floods.

Edited by RipNuN2

[WOLFG]
Members
26,590 posts
6,682 battles
51 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

no torp reloads or instant stopping of fires and floods.

That's a little too far. It would be enough for me that warships act like warships and not tanks....

[USFF]
Members
433 posts
6,947 battles
1 hour ago, Kevik70 said:

Also CVs should not be able to:

Damage anyone on Wednesday’s and Friday’s 

Damage any kind of DD at anytime

Do more than 30k damage at any tier

Defend themselves at all period

Or otherwise play the game in any meaningful way

/s

Edited by Shinzon1
  • Funny 2

[U571]
Members
2,103 posts
14,101 battles

In order to Launch by Turning into the Wind, there would have to be wind, therefore all ships would be affected by wind.  Therefore you have then have to take wind into account when shooting.  Especially long range shots and cruisers and DDs with rainbow arcs to their guns.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles

This is an arcade game so let's keep it simple.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles
9 minutes ago, Shinzon1 said:

Also CVs should not be able to:

Damage anyone on Wednesday’s and Friday’s 

Damage any kind of DD at anytime

Do more than 30k damage at any tier

Defend themselves at all period

Or otherwise play the game in any meaningful way

/s

Somebody finally gets it.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles
9 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

In order to Launch by Turning into the Wind, there would have to be wind, therefore all ships would be affected by wind.  Therefore you have then have to take wind into account when shooting.  Especially long range shots and cruisers and DDs with rainbow arcs to their guns.

Never mentioned wind, CV can create that themselves just by sailing a certain speed technically. The point is that they are moving and need to play at least some semblance of thought about their ship, or at least not being allowed to drive into the corner of the map like a scrub.

[KIA]
Members
241 posts
12,473 battles
36 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Never mentioned wind, CV can create that themselves just by sailing a certain speed technically. The point is that they are moving and need to play at least some semblance of thought about their ship, or at least not being allowed to drive into the corner of the map like a scrub.

But....the sound of that beeping warning thing as you drive into the barrier wall is so satisfying....

Members
5,914 posts
6,832 battles

I mean, if you don't want CVs to have planes across the map before most of each team has moved much, then why not just suggest adding a 'loading' timer to the squadron types? 15-30 seconds before any planes can be launched, after battle start. It was in the game with RTS CVs. I have no idea why WG removed it.

I've played the new CVs and even I think there should be a delay at game start before being able to launch planes. Everyone else has to 'load' their guns/torps when the game starts, why should CVs be allowed to sortie flights right away? I think it would be fair if CVs also had a 'prep time' for their aircraft squadrons, just like how guns and torpedoes are not immediately available when the countdown is over.

Members
1,933 posts
8,575 battles
3 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

Completely agree and have said the same since day 1. The CV should have to be moving at full speed in order to launch or recover aircraft. 

Hiding in a corner or behind an island makes you an airbase, not a ship. 

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles
13 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Completely agree and have said the same since day 1. The CV should have to be moving at full speed in order to launch or recover aircraft. 

Hiding in a corner or behind an island makes you an airbase, not a ship. 

CV's have always  been playing a different game than everybody else. I understand that this is a sim game and alot of things are not realistic but chasing CV's off the map who can still launch full strike packages 18 minutes into the game gets old.