You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Anyone gotten XVM to work properly?

60 comments in this topic

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
3 minutes ago, b101uk said:

it sounds to me like you are aiding the self-fulfilling prophecy to come true of that person gifting points to the other team, and the more people who use XVM, them more that self-fulfilling prophecy will come true, as the self-serving will abandon/ignore the weak link, and when the game goes tits-up with a loss you will blame it on the person/s you ignored rather than on the fact YOU ignored them that contributed.

it is little different from the people who will abandon a flank at the start of a game because the other flank is better in their mind, then moan later when the flank they left was lost because the opposing team capitalised on that weakness.

Not really.

There are a surprisingly large number of players at TX who have absolutely awful stats - those players aren't going to magically contribute to the team. Someone with 200 games in a DD with 38% WR and 12k average damage is very unlikely to not do dumb things at a cap. So supporting that person largely has no impact.

You don't get terribad stats by accident.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,303 battles
1 minute ago, b101uk said:

it sounds to me like you are aiding the self-fulfilling prophecy to come true of that person gifting points to the other team, and the more people who use XVM, them more that self-fulfilling prophecy will come true, as the self-serving will abandon/ignore the weak link, and when the game goes tits-up with a loss you will blame it on the person/s you ignored rather than on the fact YOU ignored them that contributed.

it is little different from the people who will abandon a flank at the start of a game because the other flank is better in their mind, then moan later when the flank they left was lost because the opposing team capitalised on that weakness.

I've tried helping bad players and the majority of the time, it's all for nought. So knowing that my chances deploying the smoke screen for someone better will have increased chance of them using it makes me weigh the difference and chances of it helping our team. 

Keep a 40% player alive for 15 seconds longer or allow someone to use it for its entirety, get 40k damage on the enemy for no loss on our team and still have their ship alive at the end.... It's an easy decision. 

The other easy decision is to assume that players that hide their stats are bad. There are a few that aren't, but the odds are greatly in favor of them being bad, so just assuming they are bad causes you to make better decisions to help your team in the long run. 

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,303 battles
4 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

You guys are nothing but browns, when the purples say to use this I will look at it. You guys may as well be HE shooters on the Colorado. uh oh....

See the source image

I dream of being good one day. 

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
3,411 posts
13,962 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

I've tried helping bad players and the majority of the time, it's all for nought. 

Closer to 99% of the time, I should look into this mod. As a solo player it may simply help decrease my raging frustration when I tell the team where I will smoke and when I will smoke and they simply blow through it, don't use it....and so on.

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,942 battles

I admit that XVM is worse in WoT than it would be here due to mechanics differences, however I still think it will end up being a negative. It just leads to more antagonism between casual players, generally bad players, generally good players, elite players, and in general any players with significantly different numbers in at least one state which XVM tracks. 

I have already heard the idea of basically hanging poor players out to dry because of their stats in this thread alone - even if you might do a little better doing this in the short tern it is unhealthy to the game in the long run. 

The fact is, if you are good enough to take advantage of XVM you are good enough to not need it. Just assume you are the best player on both teams (you are probably right statistically) and do your best to win. 

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,685 posts
10,551 battles

I don't need mods to tell me is someone is good or bad, it's better and safer to look at what someone's doing and decide.

If someone's doing something smart, good bet they have a clue, and I can work with them.

If they're doing something stupid, that's self explanatory. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,303 battles
7 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I admit that XVM is worse in WoT than it would be here due to mechanics differences, however I still think it will end up being a negative. It just leads to more antagonism between casual players, generally bad players, generally good players, elite players, and in general any players with significantly different numbers in at least one state which XVM tracks. 

I have already heard the idea of basically hanging poor players out to dry because of their stats in this thread alone - even if you might do a little better doing this in the short tern it is unhealthy to the game in the long run. 

The fact is, if you are good enough to take advantage of XVM you are good enough to not need it. Just assume you are the best player on both teams (you are probably right statistically) and do your best to win. 

So a person should not inquire about whether their div mate is good in a certain ship or not before playing with them in that ship? 

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
1 hour ago, timmyg1004 said:

You need to know who you can rely on, blah blah blah

No you don't. You just need to play the game instead of thinking you're in a top level e-sport.

5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

So a person should not inquire about whether their div mate is good in a certain ship or not before playing with them in that ship? 

Imagine, if you can, just playing the game for the sake of enjoying playing the game. 

Edited by Harathan

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,303 battles
8 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Imagine, if you can, just playing the game for the sake of playing the game. 

That wasn't directed to you, so you will not come close to understanding what I'm talking about. 

8 minutes ago, Harathan said:

No you don't. You just need to play the game instead of thinking you're in a top level e-sport.

Because getting good while enjoying yourself are completely foreign concepts? 

If that's what you are saying then I will throw the complete opposite argument out there for you to ponder on. It is impossible for someone to have fun and be bad at the game. 

Do I believe that? No, but you seem to think the opposite can be true. 

I didn't come here seeking advice on how I can be bad at the game. I'm just looking to see if someone has gotten this mod working. thanks for checking, but I'm perfectly happy right now where I am. That being said, I think it takes more effort being a 35% player than it does to be a 65%

Edited by Ducky_shot

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,942 battles
9 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

How does this compare to judging mass numbers of random players? Your div mate is playing with you on purpose. Also, chances are your div mate is better in his worse ship than the average player in that ship, given you are on the upper end of the skill curve and seem to be divisioning with similar players. It is a non-issue. 

I let my division mates play anything which I can match tier wise and it works out fine - still better then we would get solo. 

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Because getting good while enjoying yourself are completely foreign concepts? 

You think you can't get good at the game without XVM cancer as a crutch?

• Cool 1

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,942 battles
4 minutes ago, Harathan said:

It is probably just a personal preference. Some people want more information about their teammates and opponents than others. I personally did try using XVM in WoT at one point when it was pretty new - I didn't like it and felt I played better without it. Others swore on it and would sacrifice their first born if it meant being able to keep using it. 

Whatever floats their boat. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,303 battles
4 minutes ago, Harathan said:

Think of it like an NFL team, they are good to start with, but they plan according to what they expect their opponent to do. 

Being good and looking to get better are how I play the game and have fun at it. There are some people that use the game to role play. But do you go question them about how they decide to play the game and what they use and get out of it?? What do you have against people trying to play well? Bad experience as a child? Show us where the bad video game touched you. 

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,942 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Think of it like an NFL team, they are good to start with, but they plan according to what they expect their opponent to do. 

Being good and looking to get better are how I play the game and have fun at it. There are some people that use the game to role play. But do you go question them about how they decide to play the game and what they use and get out of it?? What do you have against people trying to play well? Bad experience as a child? Show us where the bad video game touched you. 

The main issue is that XVM really doesn't give you the information you need to do that. 

Members
2,575 posts
3,565 battles
6 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

That's fair and I retract much of my derision, tho not all because I've seen too many tryhards using XVM equivalents spoil too many games. Besides, I don't think it gives you anything that just playing couldn't give you; as I said, a crutch.

Edited by Harathan

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,763 posts
10,303 battles
1 minute ago, MaxL_1023 said:

The main issue is that XVM really doesn't give you the information you need to do that. 

I don't know what information its giving you, but it gives me that information. 

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,942 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

I don't know what information its giving you, but it gives me that information. 

Maybe I just overthink things. I found that the mental effort it would take to use XVM while playing would be better focused on actually playing, although this was for WoT so maybe it works better in WOWS. 

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
4,115 posts

Ducky, there's a sub forum specifically for questions related to mods:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/247-player-modifications/

May we recommend you please post in there so the rest of us in this section don't have to deal with questions related to the absolute cancer that is XVM? Some of are hoping that as few people as possible are exposed to that POS mod. Thanks.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Members
116 posts
529 battles

I remember there was an xvm mod around 2 years ago but that was discontinued already. Don't think one exists right now. 

Edited by Ayanami_Kai_Ni

[ONAVY]
Members
986 posts
7,228 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

If I'm in a dd and I see a really bad cruiser behind me, following me to the cap... I'll ignore him and not smoke him up as he likely won't use it and it will be wasted and he's going to die anyways. So because I know that, I can save that smoke for someone who will use it, perhaps myself

I am self serving in that I will do what I can to keep ME alive. If I'm dead, I cannot influence the outcome of a match and I believe I can influence a match better than 98% of the players out there. So by being selfish, I help my team win more. My goal each match is to trade my ship hp for hugely advantageous results for my team. 

If I know a player is good, I can expect them to help me and I'll do the same. 

I'll look for you on the field...if you're not hiding behind a rock.

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
24 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Maybe I just overthink things. I found that the mental effort it would take to use XVM while playing would be better focused on actually playing, although this was for WoT so maybe it works better in WOWS. 

I mean, it's basically useful for classifying people into three categories - really bad, really good, and everyone else.

It's useful for perhaps the top/bottom 10% of players. The middle 80% is harder to meaningfully take advantage of groupings.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Beta Testers
272 posts
16,568 battles
1 hour ago, MaxL_1023 said:

How does this compare to judging mass numbers of random players? Your div mate is playing with you on purpose. Also, chances are your div mate is better in his worse ship than the average player in that ship, given you are on the upper end of the skill curve and seem to be divisioning with similar players. It is a non-issue. 

I let my division mates play anything which I can match tier wise and it works out fine - still better then we would get solo. 

LUL

Members
854 posts

There is an kind of XVM that works in game. It shows the players stats above their name over the their ship. The one for the RU server is on Aslain's but for some reason he is not putting the one for the other servers in his mod pack. 

Edited by SteelClaw

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
24 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

I mean, it's basically useful for classifying people into three categories - really bad, really good, and everyone else.

It's useful for perhaps the top/bottom 10% of players. The middle 80% is harder to meaningfully take advantage of groupings.

[WOLF6]
Members
651 posts
2,741 battles

Do published stats take into account potential and spotting damage? I know that WoT PR didn't factor in spotting etc....