You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

Mountable National Flags?? What do y'a'll think about it?

92 comments in this topic

Members
67 posts
5 battles

@Sub_Octavian @iKami @Femennenly

Do you think it would be possible to change the hardpoint where you can mount the national flag on a ship, to add a bit more customization? I think it would be great if we could change where this flag can be mounted, all ships have flag poles on fore, middle and aft positions. Why aren't we using them?

This functionality should be an option me thinks. Real ships did not all mount their national flags in the middle of the ship, and on some ships in the game its position looks really odd when considering how close commemorative flags are to it, like on the Kii for e.g. It distracts away from the National flag of the ship which in itself is its most distinguishing feature as a ship of a nation.

My idea:

image.thumb.png.97af9c40b30cc67c8a170f9435144576.png

On the Roma the Italian flag looks crap, hanging off some string:

image.thumb.png.f5e5e2d37dcacb5842ecd893c6204457.png

Musashi Poles Fore and Aft:

image.thumb.png.0061954220bd121e0facb2f185c10992.png

image.thumb.png.43f1f5328ce9c97f96d3d2f3b6c0eddd.png

Look how bunched they are on the Kii, ewwwww:

image.png.1bfd32a56d12ff6a53c20f60b97da45e.png

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___
  • Cool 8
  • Boring 3

[SPTR]
Members
26,351 posts
11,647 battles

WoT PC you can have nation flag decals on your tank, WoT console you can have legit national flags hanging from a flag pole at the back of the turret. 

So WG when will WoWs too will have this feature...? 

Members
2,077 posts
8,128 battles

For some nations I would love to have an option to fly commemorative flag instead of national flag, meaning no offense.

[INTEL]
Members
1,025 posts
9,184 battles
7 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

WoT PC you can have nation flag decals on your tank, WoT console you can have legit national flags hanging from a flag pole at the back of the turret. 

So WG when will WoWs too will have this feature...? 

Decals?  Cool.  Let's have them on ships. 

I want one on the back of smoke ships that says 'Stay Out of My Smoke!'

One on the front of my Japanese destroyers that says, 'Fear This'

On my American BBs I want the anchor replaced by Bovine testicles.

[WGA]
Administrator, Retired Community Contributors
488 posts
13,050 battles

Typically speaking in majority of navies, the nations flags are mounted above all other flags in a show of acknowledgement of the Nation.

For this reason, we have stayed true to tradition in keeping the Nation's flag mounted above all other mountable flags.

Fem, 

• Cool 9

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,161 posts
8,778 battles
48 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Decals?  Cool.  Let's have them on ships. 

I want one on the back of smoke ships that says 'Stay Out of My Smoke!'

One on the front of my Japanese destroyers that says, 'Fear This'

On my American BBs I want the anchor replaced by Bovine testicles.

Graffiti on tanks is historical amd goes back to ww2; maybe before. 

Graffiti on ships is a totally different story.

Members
67 posts
5 battles
12 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

Typically speaking in majority of navies, the nations flags are mounted above all other flags in a show of acknowledgement of the Nation.

For this reason, we have stayed true to tradition in keeping the Nation's flag mounted above all other mountable flags.

Fem, 

US Navy mount them Fore and Aft:

shipfromwater1.jpg

Battleship-Missouri-at-Pearl-Harbor.jpg

• Bad 1

Members
51 posts
835 battles
1 minute ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

shipfromwater1.jpg

Possibly because it's moored?  Are they flown that way when underway?

Members
51 posts
835 battles
2 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Yamato underway, flag mounted aft:

Yamato_during_Trial_Service.jpg

The question was out of idle curiosity.  I am certainly no authority on Naval Ensign Etiquette.

[WGA]
Administrator, Retired Community Contributors
488 posts
13,050 battles
3 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Spoiler

In all these provided example, there are no other flags flying on the ship. The issue isn't its location, rather that if the flag is mounted on the bow/stern, then were will the cosmetic flags/signals be located as they are required to be beneath the national flag. 

• Bad 3

[WDS]
Members
1,068 posts
7,734 battles
3 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

In all these provided example, there are no other flags flying on the ship. The issue isn't its location, rather that if the flag is mounted on the bow/stern, then were will the cosmetic flags/signals be located as they are required to be beneath the national flag.  

Good explanation thanks just wanted to say that the Japanese flag does look pretty cool on the back of the Yamato while underway .

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
505 posts

I support the idea.

I would also like to have the chance to fly the CLAN FLAG.

• Cool 2

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
323 posts

The ships originally had the flags mounted on the stern on their flag poles.  WG changed that about a year into the game to the center masts. I would prefer the flags on the poles aft if the ship. Only if fornhistorical reasons . But meh it's not a sim so GL with that.

Gotta be P.C.

Edited by Versili

Members
67 posts
5 battles
1 hour ago, Femennenly said:

Thats no excuse not to have the functionality, maybe you could impose restrictions where if someone wants to mount a National Flag fore or aft, they wont be allowed to mount commemorative flags aswell. 

Thus you maintain historical accuracy, I mean commemorative flags are not really in keeping with historical tradition anyway. I could mount a valentines day commemorative flag on my ship or maybe a dunkirk flag on an axis ship. It is not  historically accurate or correct but you can do that, so I dont really see a point in not being able to have customization as to where the national flag can be mounted.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,350 posts
8,290 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Spoiler

shipfromwater1.jpg

Spoiler

US Navy only flies the jack at the foc's'le and the ensign at the stern when moored. Underway, the ensign is flown at the masthead. Precisely, in other words, as is shown in game.

1 hour ago, Femennenly said:

The issue is the location. Absolute height of the national ensign vs other flags is not an issue in a maritime context, unless they're on the same halyard.

A national ensign at the fantail is still in a superior position to a signal flag closed up to a yardarm, even though the signal flag is physically higher-up in terms of absolute altitude. It's not really an issue for the USN at sea, though, as we fly the national ensign from the masthead when under way. (Other nations may still fly their national ensign from the stern, though. Not saying the USN practice is universal.)

• Cool 3

Members
1,140 posts

HMS Exeter just before she turned to engage Graf Spee, the captain ordered that 5 battle ensign each 24' x 12' (7·32m x 3·66m) be raised from the main topmast, port & starboard yardarms, and the top & lower mizzen.

• Cool 1

[-V1-]
Members
269 posts
5,642 battles

US Navy ships when underway always fly the national colors from the mainmast higher than all other signal flags or pennants.    In port, the National Jack is flown from a short mast on the bow while the National Colors were shifted (hauled down from the main mast as it was raised) on to the aft (stern) short mast.      I believe we should continue as is, though it would be more accurate when in port to show the national color on the after/stern short mast but ONLY WHILE IN PORT!

• Cool 1

Members
2,077 posts
8,128 battles
3 hours ago, Femennenly said:

Fem, 

Really?

USS Arizona in game

5JFuxQ2.jpg

USS Alabama in game

aWodpPq.jpg

USS Missouri in game

5f5surC.jpg

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
1,025 posts
9,184 battles
3 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Graffiti on tanks is historical amd goes back to ww2; maybe before. 

Graffiti on ships is a totally different story.

You're taking me way too seriously.

Members
154 posts
1,368 battles

The flag location indicates to other ships weather the ship is underway  (moving) or not. This generally applies to all ships. Though most hobby sailors do not bother. 

When anchored, the ensign is flown at the stern and a jack at the bow. As soon as the anchor breaks free from the bottom the jack and transom ensign are taken down and the ensign is raised to it's underway location. 

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
796 posts
5,124 battles

@LT_Rusty_SWO and @dbw86 are quite correct, per modern USN regulation.  I can't speak to historic regulations or even those of any other maritime fighting force, though.  While there are some inaccuracies in the in-game locations, especially considering moored/in port locations, I'm more than satisfied that for simplicity's sake they're (mostly) in their underway steaming configurations (more or less) correctly.

-R

[edit] Adding @GrayPanther2018 to the attaboy list since I was ninja'd. [/edit]

Edited by Mister_Rawr

[VVV]
Members
4 posts
2,921 battles

I am all for having the ability to substitute the national flag with an alternate national flag like in WOT with the national markings. I would even be willing to pay a few doubloons for the flag as in WOT. Another revenue stream for WOWS, how can they say no. 

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,350 posts
8,290 battles
33 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Really?

USS Arizona in game

Spoiler

5JFuxQ2.jpg

USS Alabama in game

Spoiler

aWodpPq.jpg

USS Missouri in game

Spoiler

5f5surC.jpg

Those are all displaying the national ensign in the correct location. There is no issue with how any other flag is displayed in those pictures.

Members
67 posts
5 battles
5 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

@dbw86 Well the Japanese flew their main flag on the back of the ship and this ship is not moored but undergoing sea trials.

Thus the functionality should be available, to change the flags position on a ship.

Not every navy does it like the US Navy, they are an exception.

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___