Sign in to follow this  
nastydamnanimal

Why so many hero and chic movies?

6 comments in this topic

[KW]
Banned
623 posts

What happened to all the good movies like starring Tom Hanks ect.

Seems like only superhero and chic movies. If you find what could be a good movie they mess it up with shallow plots and speed backstorys. It's like Chinese cheap even at the box office.

Can someone pls make a good movie 

Edited by nastydamnanimal
Cause I can and I will

[EBONR]
Members
35 posts
3,785 battles

The movie audience, in general, wishes to escape their daily life and immerse in the fantasy land of the theater.  

You are correct, there are fewer and fewer ‘normal’ or realistic movie plots.

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
25 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

It's like Chinese cheap even at the box office.

That's just it. The Chinese love oversized movies with big special effects budgets and that you have to switch off your brain in order to enjoy. It's why the crimes against cinema known as the Fast and Furious and the Transformers franchises, respectively, are still around. North American and European audiences know that they're terrible, but the Chinese think they're great.

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
1 hour ago, nastydamnanimal said:

So they call the shots in Hollywood now. Figures. 

Young people need to create a new Hollywood then. 

The movies you're looking for are still around, but the thing is they don't nearly have the advertising budgets that blockbusters do. As well, most of the movies you're looking for are all released around the same time so they have the best chance of getting Oscar nominations.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts

The Chinese have a limit on the amount of none domestically made or financed films that can be "imported" each year, it is in part why a surprising number of films have Chinese money behind them.

Edited by b101uk

Beta Testers
10,822 posts

Some things observed about the Chinese box office.

1.  If they go see an American movie, they expect to see a or any number of good looking Americans.   Or at least, Western people.  They don't like to see ugly people, fat people.   Star Wars Last Jedi did not do well in China and among the criticisms was that the cast was too ugly.

2.  They don't care about white washing, white messiah or Asian-American empowerment.  They already have seen enough Asians with their own movies, along with the occasional Korean or Japanese movie.   Crazy Rich Asians did not do well in China.    Like I said, if they are going to pay to watch an American movie, they expect their money's worth of good looking Americans in the scenes.

3.  They don't give a hoot about SJW.  Political correctness is not a concept for them.

4.  They don't like snug actors or actresses that show disrespect to elders.  When I mean elders I don't mean just parents, but people of respected senior stature in a profession.  Good examples of respected elderly people would be like James Cameron and Stan Lee.   Brie Larson's insensitive post on Instagram on Stan Lee (she has deleted it) could backlash in China.  

Edited by Eisennagel

Sign in to follow this