Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher7_1944

Whew! Mission accomplished!

4 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts

2 evenings of spamming the Exeter non-stop, to finish the grind for all those containers.  Because why not?

Most games weren't bad,  Exeter isn't an especially good CA (it's tier 5 after all...), but is IS effective if you play it the right way.   actually using the Neverending Hydro (tm) went a long way to improving it's survivability.  Suddenly I wasn't dying to torps most games!  

For some reason, the bots LOVE to shoot torpedoes at Exeter...  I think it annoyed them that I, TOO could now spot torpedoes early- so they started to sulk and refuse to launch them at me.  Or it could just be coincidence.  Either way: I win!

It's a better ship than I first thought.  Thing is, not only is it completely different from the rest of the RN cruisers- 6, 8" guns instead of more 6's;  No smoke;  It HAS HE shells; it's a short tubby lil ship, and it has that Hydro. (which lasts and lasts and...)- but it's also different from any other CA in the game, too.   It's an oddball, with it's own playstyle that takes a few games to really figure out.

It's the Huang He of heavy cruisers.

I found success playing it much the same way I play my Yubari:  As a roving harasser.    Dropping HE on any ship within reach,  never letting any get too close- and abusing hard cover to disengage from whomever starts shooting back.  If I caught someone alone, and I could approach without getting my [edited]shot off,  I'd dump torpedoes into them.   Exeter is good at this role, and surprisingly effective.  I didn't often top the leaderboard, but I got my share of kills and other ribbons.    Punching holes in several Atlanta's citadels was a nice bonus!

Gotta be careful around the BB's, though- Exeter really doesn't like taking punches from big caliber guns.

It's part ambush predator; part support cruiser, and part high tier RU CL- er, I mean DD, lol.   Extra points if you drive it like an 8 yr old with ADHD.   That Hydro makes it a great tool for dealing with pesky enemy torpedo botes, or obnoxious, poorly placed smoke clouds.  POOF!  Now we're blind!  <click> No we aren't.

In my final game of the night, a bot Omaha and a Fiji charged a smoke cloud containing My Exeter and our Fiji.     I popped hydro, and slowly reversed out from behind Fiji- Omaha was right there.  He got my full broadside, and exploded (3 citadels through his bow!!)  Then we opened up on Fiji.  He blew up, too- but not before getting his torps off, which nailed ours... (he was still sitting still, so was a sitting duck)    The game ended with a win at that same instant.   Kinda seemed weird that OUR Fiji blows up- and ends the game for a win, lol.

The bots occasionally got good and tired of my shenanigans, and sent some terminator bots to crush me, but overall the grind went pretty smoothly. 

Not bad for a freemium that also comes bundled with a bunch useful goodies for $35 bucks.   I got my money's worth of fun out of it, lol.

[RLGN]
Members
12,686 posts
22,531 battles

Nice.

My first game I was approaching an island and wondering why no Red destroyers had been spotted yet when ; ‘Suddenly! A wild Fubuki appears!’

Already reaching for hydro, and there were the torpedoes. Panic drop, easily dodged, then firing through the smoke cloud that came up until the ‘buki went down.

Members
1,933 posts
8,625 battles

I completed the collection without doing the Exeter missions. Ended up buying EX anyways b/c I need more low tier premiums... IMO she doesn't feel nearly as strong as she should, is like a weaker Leander/Perth. Those guns don't really feel like 8".

[ARGSY]
Members
16,476 posts
11,306 battles
20 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

It's the Huang He of heavy cruisers.

Considering what the Huang He started its career as IRL, this is NO surprise. 

Sign in to follow this