Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

PSA: How to easily finish plane killing missions.

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

948
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
22,431 battles

Use a T5 w/decent AA (obviously there are no OP T5 AA ships but there's a few w/decent AA) & div w/a T4 CV.

As MM has to match the T4 CV w/another T4 CV so there's no fear of being div failed against even any T6 ships in the battle...unless both CVs are doing the same thing & you both get div failed (had to throw that disclaimer in in case you both end up in a T7 match...of course you can feel good about helping the Atlantas in the community get their plane kill missions if that happens...lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
2,900 posts
5,639 battles

Omaha and Marblehead if you have one did pretty well for my mission, but I admit my Atlanta, Flint, and Boise did a lot of the heavy lifting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,736
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,119 posts
13,281 battles
27 minutes ago, vonKaiser said:

Omaha and Marblehead if you have one did pretty well for my mission, but I admit my Atlanta, Flint, and Boise did a lot of the heavy lifting. 

The problem with those is they have no long range AA which makes the Emerald a much better choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
489
[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,575 posts
9,613 battles

Oh I just played Cleveland, got kicked in the balls and had my face punched in but I got there......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,153
[RLGN]
Members
12,597 posts
22,417 battles
16 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The problem with those is they have no long range AA which makes the Emerald a much better choice.

Nicholas has something to say about that; last two a/c shootdown task attempts netted 65 and 71 respectively.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,736
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,119 posts
13,281 battles
30 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nicholas has something to say about that; last two a/c shootdown task attempts netted 65 and 71 respectively.

Good point, I tend to forget about the DD's for this kind of stuff because of not being very good with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,488
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,006 posts
16,890 battles

Dunno about you, but I'd rather take my chances shooting down planes at a tier where there are more than three in a flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
182 posts
2,788 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Dunno about you, but I'd rather take my chances shooting down planes at a tier where there are more than three in a flight.

The lower tier planes have lower hp, and smaller squad sizes means your AA is spread over fewer planes.  Your AA damage is lower however, so you'd have to do the math to be sure which is better.
A lower tier CV is more likely to be a player who is less experienced and less skilled in dodging flak.  A higher tier CV is also more likely to avoid you if you have strong AA.
If the probability of encountering a CV in higher tiers is lower, then it may take more matches to get any planes to shoot down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
188 posts
86 battles

Playing notoriously AA heavy ships has backfired in my experience, since most CV players know to avoid them like the plague. Instead, my North Carolina has been my go to for these missions. CV players consider you a softer target than most cruisers, but with some AA mods you can down most of the squadron if they linger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,434
[O_O]
Members
5,940 posts
13,721 battles
1 minute ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

What's the mission for plane kills? I didn't notice one when i looked. 

The first stage of the Exeter marathon has a 30 plane requirement.  And, several tasks in the Fly! Strike! Win! mission have plane requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,488
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,006 posts
16,890 battles
37 minutes ago, Pseudovector said:

The lower tier planes have lower hp, and smaller squad sizes means your AA is spread over fewer planes.  Your AA damage is lower however, so you'd have to do the math to be sure which is better.
A lower tier CV is more likely to be a player who is less experienced and less skilled in dodging flak.  A higher tier CV is also more likely to avoid you if you have strong AA.
If the probability of encountering a CV in higher tiers is lower, then it may take more matches to get any planes to shoot down.

That's all well and good in theory, but in reality, all you have to do is wait for one derp CV driver to drop fighters over you thinking it will save his bombers, and congrats on your 7 free planes in addition to whatever you manage to shoot down from the main flight. And there are a lot of CV drivers who do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
182 posts
2,788 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

That's all well and good in theory, but in reality, all you have to do is wait for one derp CV driver to drop fighters over you thinking it will save his bombers, and congrats on your 7 free planes in addition to whatever you manage to shoot down from the main flight. And there are a lot of CV drivers who do that.

True, I hadn't considered fighters at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
142 posts
8,437 battles
12 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nicholas has something to say about that; last two a/c shootdown task attempts netted 65 and 71 respectively.

So much this... saw this tip recently and took my AA spec Nicholas out.  This thing claws planes from the sky and makes unaware CV drivers cry out in agony.  

I like to cruise around with my AA turned off and spot the world while I wait for the enemy CV to find me.  Then, on with the AA and the planes start to cascade into the sea all around me.  I LOVE it when the planes crash right next to my triumphant boat as I slip away with barely any damage.

Did the 30 planes mission in exactly one game after a CV driver decided to make my Nicholas his personal project.  Bad mistake.  Not only did I shoot down 45 of his planes, but I rolled them right back up to his CV and then burned her down.  

Anyway, excellent tip and one of the main reasons I read this forum.  

Good luck, guys

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800
[INTEL]
Members
2,616 posts
13,815 battles

Kidd.  It can handle being uptiered and it's a monster if it sees T6 planes.  I like to use a friendly DD as bait and just hang out nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
142 posts
8,437 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Kidd.  It can handle being uptiered and it's a monster if it sees T6 planes.  I like to use a friendly DD as bait and just hang out nearby.

The trouble with Kidd is it feels like RNGesus prefers to give it CV free games.  I use it like an umbrella at a picnic for games where I am not in the mood for planes.  Likewise, just about every CV skipper knows to avoid the Kidd.  

The beauty of the Nicholas is that most tier IV cv drivers are unaware of her as a plane killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800
[INTEL]
Members
2,616 posts
13,815 battles

I like playing the Kidd so I can enjoy the battle even if I don't get planes.  But when there are planes it's just hilarious fun.

If I want to club T4 CV planes I take the Yubari.  Huange also surprises CVs but it's frightening to drive into a T8 battle.

I agree on the Nicholas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,153
[RLGN]
Members
12,597 posts
22,417 battles
6 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

Kidd.  It can handle being uptiered and it's a monster if it sees T6 planes.  I like to use a friendly DD as bait and just hang out nearby.

 

6 hours ago, USSLangley said:

The trouble with Kidd is it feels like RNGesus prefers to give it CV free games.  I use it like an umbrella at a picnic for games where I am not in the mood for planes.  Likewise, just about every CV skipper knows to avoid the Kidd.  

The beauty of the Nicholas is that most tier IV cv drivers are unaware of her as a plane killer.

What I’m a bit curious about (and haven’t tried yet,) is if the T7 Mahan set up for DFAA would work like the T5 Nicholas does; struggles against T8 carriers, but hammers T6 carriers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800
[INTEL]
Members
2,616 posts
13,815 battles
38 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

What I’m a bit curious about (and haven’t tried yet,) is if the T7 Mahan set up for DFAA would work like the T5 Nicholas does; struggles against T8 carriers, but hammers T6 carriers.

It probably will do well. 

Another less obvious AA boat is the T6 Monaghan B-Hull with DFAA.  It wouldn't be all that effective against T8 but should do well against T6.  But, taking the B Hull and mounting DFAA really makes it a toothless ship otherwise.  I only used her in a Dynamo Operation ship rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,691
[WOLFG]
Members
26,590 posts
6,691 battles
15 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

The first stage of the Exeter marathon has a 30 plane requirement.  And, several tasks in the Fly! Strike! Win! mission have plane requirements.

At least you can do the FSW ones with a CV. All you have to do is get spotted, then make sure the enemy CV can get to you without running into an AA blob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
517
[NUWES]
Members
2,762 posts
8,876 battles
20 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nicholas has something to say about that; last two a/c shootdown task attempts netted 65 and 71 respectively.

I used Nicholas for this as well. It's the lowest tier ship with good AA. Also being a DD, CVs come right for you like flies to honey. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,153
[RLGN]
Members
12,597 posts
22,417 battles
49 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I used Nicholas for this as well. It's the lowest tier ship with good AA. Also being a DD, CVs come right for you like flies to honey. 

So true...

Cold hearted individual that I am with Nicholas; I had 45 kill game last night to clear the shootdowns in both stage one and two of the most recent FSW.

To add insult to injury, I had the consumables signal for faster dakka recycling, hardly had to dodge at all, despite two carriers swarming me after I found them, and sank both carriers with gunfire. (Hermes and a Hosho.)

I might actually feel bad if not for the fact it was living proof of what many said would happen to T4 carriers as far back as the betas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×