Jump to content
TheURLGuy

Destroyers of Java Sea – Ship Stories

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

56
[ONE]
Members
641 posts
12,044 battles

The original order of battle will make a good scenario. Force us to play as Allies, the underdogs. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
36 posts
12,843 battles

DDs?!, I want the CA named after my Hometown, the USS Houston!  It was nicknamed the 'Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast' and fought alone for a while after the other cruisers sunk including the HMS Exeter; that ship & Houston were the 2 heavy CAs of that fateful fleet.  Many of the sailors of the USS Houston died in captivity, many in a POW ship sunk by American planes that didn't know these poor souls were part of the cargo.  :-(

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
256
[-ARP-]
Supertester
480 posts
4,676 battles

tfw we still don't have any Northampton class cruisers. And no, Indianapolis doesn't count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WOLF1]
Members
250 posts
50,544 battles
4 minutes ago, Thunder_invader_11 said:

What about the Dutch destroyers that participated in the battle?

I hope they show up one day, along with the Dutch cruisers. All of them would make a fine addition to the game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
13 posts
6,385 battles

"In game, Clemson is a devastating battleship hunter. Clemson doesn’t have the stealth, maneuverability, or torpedo range for toe-to-toe engagements with enemy destroyers, but her short-ranged high-volume torpedo payload works wonders against slow-moving battleships"

Excuse me, a battleship hunter?  Not suited for toe-to-toe engagements with destroyers?

[Laughs in 6-gun broadside]

At tier IV long range torpedoes are far less useful for dealing with enemy destroyers than the ability to dish out overwhelming gun firepower.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,769
-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles
15 hours ago, oldblackdog said:

I hope they show up one day, along with the Dutch cruisers. All of them would make a fine addition to the game. 

Which one would you want first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
9 posts
7,432 battles
47 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Which one would you want first?

For destroyers probably the Kortenaer since it played a vital role in the battle of the Java sea. For cruisers, De Ruyter, the flag ship of rear admiral Doorman.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
40 posts
6,549 battles
3 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Which one would you want first?

Witte De With had the most advanced equipment and was one of the two Dutch destroyers that fought at the Battle of Java Sea. Kortenaer and Evertsen would be good candidates too. Kortenaer was sunk at Java Sea. Evertsen went down fighting in the Sunda Straits against several Jap DDs.

I would love to see both De Ruyter and Java in the game for the cruisers. Both brave ships that were sadly overwhelmed.  The compact and unique cruiser Tromp is an interesting ship too.

We MUST have a USS Houston. We now have every class of US Heavy cruiser EXCEPT the Northampton class in the game.

Edited by Jef_Roberts
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WOLF1]
Members
250 posts
50,544 battles
5 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Which one would you want first?

 

4 hours ago, Thunder_invader_11 said:

For destroyers probably the Kortenaer since it played a vital role in the battle of the Java sea. For cruisers, De Ruyter, the flag ship of rear admiral Doorman.

+1 to both of these, for the same reasons given by Thunder_invader.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WOLF1]
Members
250 posts
50,544 battles
2 hours ago, Jef_Roberts said:

Witte De With had the most advanced equipment and was one of the two Dutch destroyers that fought at the Battle of Java Sea. Kortenaer and Evertsen would be good candidates too. Kortenaer was sunk at Java Sea. Evertsen went down fighting in the Sunda Straits against several Jap DDs.

I would love to see both De Ruyter and Java in the game for the cruisers. Both brave ships that were sadly overwhelmed.  The compact and unique cruiser Tromp is an interesting ship too.

We MUST have a USS Houston. We now have every class of US Heavy cruiser EXCEPT the Northampton class in the game.

Very good suggestions...all them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462
[SOUP]
Members
1,630 posts
7,186 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 10:27 AM, MadMaxMav said:

DDs?!, I want the CA named after my Hometown, the USS Houston!  It was nicknamed the 'Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast' and fought alone for a while after the other cruisers sunk including the HMS Exeter; that ship & Houston were the 2 heavy CAs of that fateful fleet.  Many of the sailors of the USS Houston died in captivity, many in a POW ship sunk by American planes that didn't know these poor souls were part of the cargo.  :-(

@MadMaxMav: HIGH FIVE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
293
[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,031 posts

Well we have Houston's companions in game already... so a tier 6 quasi Pensacola/ indy would be nice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
42 posts
20,611 battles

The story of Asiatic Fleet's DesRon 29 (DesDivs 57, 58, and 59) and its 13 Clemson Class DDs is one of the most heroic of the war. Start from the fact that the Clemson Class was one of the most poorly constructed class of ships in the history of the US Navy; as an example not one ever made it to design flank speed during trials.  Many had already been decommissioned and even scrapped by the war's start.  DesRon 29, sent to the Asiatic Fleet as a reinforcement (from what little was available), by the start of the war, so badly in need of overhaul that when they arrived in the NEI (foresight by ADM Tommy Hart to get them out of the Philippines before they were caught), some of their Dutch counterparts were said to have burst into tears at their condition.  War reports by surviving skippers attest to poor condition; not one was recorded to have made more than 27 knots at flank speed; they could barely outpace their own poor Mark 15 torpedoes (the surface version of the infamous Mark 14).  Not that that mattered as their torpedo depot went up in flames and explosions when Cavite Navy Yard was obliterated in the Japanese air raid of 10 Dec 41. Their tender USS Black Hawk had been evacuated to Australia.  By the time of Java Sea, the torpedoes were gone (except for a few on USS Pope) as there were no reloads carried and no source of torpedoes.  But, DesRon 29 carried on the fight.  The skippers of USS John D. Edwards, DD-216, CDR Henry Eccles (who earned the Navy Cross and the Silver Star in the last two weeks of the fighting) wrote one of the most pointed and succinct after action reports of the war after he made it out (I have a copy).  Five of the DDs would be lost.  USS Pillsbury lost with all hands.  USS Edsall (see attached) literally blown out of the water.  Only a handful of survivors; they were picked up by the IJN, taken ashore, then beheaded. USS Peary was in Darwin Harbour and destroyed in the raid by Kido Butai. One of only 4 MoH's awarded to destroyermen in WW2 went to USS Pope's LT Richard Antrim.   Presidential Unit Citations (rare during that part of the war) went to DesDiv 59's USS Pope, DD-225, and USS John D.Ford, DD-228.

 

USS Edsall.jpg

Edited by JFMUO
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
42 posts
20,611 battles

Resolution on the picture of the end of USS Edsall was of poor quality...taken at a distance by one of the Japanese cruisers firing at her, an outtake from motion picture film.  She was also being fired at by Hiei and Kirishima and under air attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,020
[SOV]
Members
4,463 posts
On 3/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, Radar_X said:

Which one would you want first?

Radar X I might be in the wrong battle but Commander Evens was in a very old DD at that battle. Later he went on to command the USS Johnston at the battle with Taffy 3.

A campain that starts with Commander Evens in the old DD then upgrade to a Fletcher for phase 2 of a campain. Or it could be a campain to get Evens as a commander.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,681
[IRNBN]
Members
3,160 posts
8,502 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 10:25 PM, flyingtaco said:

Well we have Houston's companions in game already... so a tier 6 quasi Pensacola/ indy would be nice 

I still say WG screwed the pooch by not making room in the US cruiser line split for the Northamptons.

With Northampton as the tech tree ship we might have had the brave Houston as a possible premium clone (better main guns, worse AA?).

Pensacola was only briefly involved in the East Indies campaign. At least the Sweet Pea did better than the poor Boise in the campaign, whose greatest accomplishment was hitting a rock in Sape Straight.

Boise would go on to earn fame as a fine fighting cruiser, but the war didn't start well for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56
[ONE]
Members
641 posts
12,044 battles

At least the Dutch ships were real, as compared to many "paper ships" we have in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,397
[RKLES]
Members
12,456 posts
14,182 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, Radar_X said:

Which one would you want first?

Think we need to summon @Lert and ask him which Dutch Cruiser to have added first. Since that’s more his expertise, and he would know if one had good capabilities and rich history to it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
42 posts
20,611 battles

CDR Ernest Evans of USS Johnston served as an officer aboard DesRon 29's USS Alden, DD-211 during the campaign.  (So one can say than 1/2 of the total MoH's for USN destroyermen in WW2 went to officers who served in DesRon 29. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
293
[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,031 posts
4 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I still say WG screwed the pooch by not making room in the US cruiser line split for the Northamptons.

With Northampton as the tech tree ship we might have had the brave Houston as a possible premium clone (better main guns, worse AA?).

Pensacola was only briefly involved in the East Indies campaign. At least the Sweet Pea did better than the poor Boise in the campaign, whose greatest accomplishment was hitting a rock in Sape Straight.

Boise would go on to earn fame as a fine fighting cruiser, but the war didn't start well for her.

Hector bywater compared the northhamptons  to egg shells armed with hammers and I believe they were briefly classified as cls.  It almost seems like they should be the tier 6 ca rather than Pensacola. It certainly fits the criteria and would bring tier 6 into line with the turret arrangement of the rest of the us heavy cruisers. Pensacola with the extra turret would seem to be more oddball to the point that I think it's the more suitable candidate for premium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×