You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CNCfan

Passive Play

13 comments in this topic

Members
115 posts
8,843 battles

I was not playing WoW for about three months (sorry WoW, I really found DCS).

Been back playing for about a month.  It seem to me players are playing a lot more passive than what I remember.

Especially BB's And DD's.  May be the teams I am on, I have noticed DD's very seldom go for a cap in the first

few minutes of the game.   Few I have seen going for caps are the games we mostly win.  I just don't get the mentality

of people waiting until a cap is taken and THEN go in and try to take it.  

And then there are the BB's  ( I play mostly BB's).  I have seen more BB's hiding behind island or so far from the caps they are really

no help to the team.  Then when most of the teams sunk they complain about noobs.   I have been told to get back so many

times I lost count by other BB players.  

Just seems there is a real lack of aggression from far too many players.  And particular in BB players.

And for all you stat police that will check my stats after you read this, I will save you a bit of time.

I have been playing quit some time and in the stat world I am below average, or so I have been told. I have absolutely no

interest in my stats.  If I did,  I would change my play style. 

[PHASE]
Members
5,790 posts
18,794 battles

what would be the solution? all play BB and hammer each other? I am not knocking your concern for passive play as much as I would like a solution? Should I just go ham in my Zao and get deleted from 20k by two BB's in 25 seconds?

Now if it was 12 v 12 all the same class... I could buy that..... probably be fun too....

[NFE]
Members
356 posts
3,112 battles

The new CV play makes it difficult for DDs to cap early. We have to stay close to the ships with AA, or get eliminated. This style of play carries over, even in games without CVs. And if I don't get support, I'm not going to try to cap alone. I can't address the timid BB play you see.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,011 posts
17,001 battles

DDs rushing caps is suicide. The cap lights as soon as you get there, which means the enemy CV and radar ships all know exactly where you are, and your Priority Target will read 7 or more within seconds. The fact that fewer DDs yolo the caps at the start is evidence that they're getting smarter if anything.

As for BBs... no comment. People seem to think that good BB play is about distance, but in fact it's mostly about angles. I long ago gave up trying to explain that to people who think the point of BB is to carry more marines than the other guy so your boarding party wins after the ram.

• Cool 1

Members
6,228 posts
13,493 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

DDs rushing caps is suicide. The cap lights as soon as you get there, which means the enemy CV and radar ships all know exactly where you are, and your Priority Target will read 7 or more within seconds. The fact that fewer DDs yolo the caps at the start is evidence that they're getting smarter if anything.

As for BBs... no comment. People seem to think that good BB play is about distance, but in fact it's mostly about angles. I long ago gave up trying to explain that to people who think the point of BB is to carry more marines than the other guy so your boarding party wins after the ram.

Wait? Lemming trains are not the optimal strategy?? 

• Funny 1

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles

Being a DD main by far, I'll address your comments on DDs:

1 hour ago, CNCfan said:

May be the teams I am on, I have noticed DD's very seldom go for a cap in the first

Theres a reason for this. At higher tiers, there are so many threats to a DD that being too aggressive is more suicidal than anything. Most maps have islands close enough to the circle for any Radar cruiser to park behind and Radar the cap as soon as it flips. This can cause DDs a lot of unnecessary damage for no real benefit other than spotting a few enemies when they shoot. But that's not worth the HP trade in any way. A DD's influence on the game only grows as the match progresses, and winning HP trades for DD players is vital and something not many are really that good at. Ultimately, the cap just isn't worth the risk at the start of the game. With focus fire and coordination, and once the enemy destroyer and Radar threats are pushed back or sunk, then you can safely cap to your hearts content
Something to realize in general is that capture points are not the end all, be all of winning the game. They help, yes of course, but aren't worth throwing away your HP or even your ship over. With coordinated pushes and focus fire, you can easily come back from being down a capture point or two. Its just not worth throwing your ship away to capture it, because once the DD goes down, not much stands in the way of it just being recaptured by the enemy anyway with ultimately little to no (often the latter) gain.

1 hour ago, CNCfan said:

I just don't get the mentality of people waiting until a cap is taken and THEN go in and try to take it.  

Read what I just said. It isn't worth the risk at the start of the game. Even when you have an island in the cap to hug, that doesn't save you from enemy destroyer threats. Islands in cap circles are what I call idiot magnets. You aren't capping (usually) and you aren't spotting. You arent dropping torps and you're not doing anything else except sitting there being useless. One of my favorite things to do in my DDs is work my way around to the side of the cap and torpedo the area behind the islands and more often than not I catch some ginger idiot with one or two, if not outright sinking them, leaving them effectively crippled. 

• Cool 1

[CSALT]
Members
1,396 posts

It isn't about being passive or aggressive from the start.  It is about choosing the right time, moment to be aggressive.  This moment changes battle to battle and is influenced by the types of ships in the battle and the players in the battle.

[GT99]
Members
670 posts
10,709 battles
1 hour ago, CNCfan said:

I was not playing WoW for about three months (sorry WoW, I really found DCS).

Been back playing for about a month.  It seem to me players are playing a lot more passive than what I remember.

Especially BB's And DD's.  May be the teams I am on, I have noticed DD's very seldom go for a cap in the first

few minutes of the game.   Few I have seen going for caps are the games we mostly win.  I just don't get the mentality

of people waiting until a cap is taken and THEN go in and try to take it.  

And then there are the BB's  ( I play mostly BB's).  I have seen more BB's hiding behind island or so far from the caps they are really

no help to the team.  Then when most of the teams sunk they complain about noobs.   I have been told to get back so many

times I lost count by other BB players.  

Just seems there is a real lack of aggression from far too many players.  And particular in BB players.

And for all you stat police that will check my stats after you read this, I will save you a bit of time.

I have been playing quit some time and in the stat world I am below average, or so I have been told. I have absolutely no

interest in my stats.  If I did,  I would change my play style. 

They say testosterone levels drop with each generation; we will all be pansies one day. :Smile_izmena:

[SCREW]
Members
232 posts
14,311 battles

BB players are sick and tired of being melted down by HE spammers sitting behind islands unable to be targeted. We sit far back so this doesn't happen, and focus on targets we can actually see and hit. This situation isn't helped by Wargaming continuing to make HE spam more viable with every single update. 

On top of that, the torp spam is worse than ever, what with deep water torps being basically undetectable, having stupid long ranges, and doing ridiculous amounts of damage. And those DDs you were saying don't move up, they're a huge contributor to that problem.

Last and not least, there are now 3 battlecruisers in game that somehow were given pretty much the same damage output and armor as bbs, but with better armor pen with smaller guns. And being as fast as they are, with better concealment, they can speed around to the flank and beat down a bb they catch broadside. That means bbs can't push up or they get caught in a crossfire and deleted. 

Add to all that cruiser players are dumb as crapand DD players are getting more stupid by the day, what exactly are BB players supposed to do? I push up to pressure the enemy ships, and the rest of my team yells at me to get back because they're a bunch of cowards that think they'll win by hiding. I stay behind the team to use them as torp protection, and they [edited] that I'm hiding and being useless. So what, OP, is your solution to any of this? Did you even think that far? Can you think? Or are you just complaining to complain?

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,226 posts
21,359 battles

Battleships get eaten to easily by the amount of daka daka daka ships (Mino, Harugumo, Worcester for example)
Between Carriers and Radars, destroyers dont want to be eaten.
Because they get out spotted by destroyers and out ranged by battleships, cruisers hide to avoid being eaten.
Carriers dont move forward because they cant do anything and lose all their planes if they go in the wrong direction for more than a second.
Islands literally fill every map and arent always distributed in a way that fair to both sides.
Torpedoes are way common, as there can be up to 4 destroyers per team.
Carriers can spot an entire team.
We are all scared to get killed before do any damage.

Members
181 posts
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

I long ago gave up trying to explain that to people who think the point of BB is to carry more marines than the other guy so your boarding party wins after the ram.

yeah... i gave up on that game. nothing like spending most of the evening trying to escape a 5 ship tag over and over. only to escape and get tagged by their 3 buddies waiting outside.  pfft!:Smile_sceptic:

here... at least you get to keep your ship after a beating.:cap_win:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,209 posts
16,540 battles
2 hours ago, CNCfan said:

I have absolutely no interest in my stats.  If I did,  I would change my play style.

If you have no interest in improving your own play, what right do you have to complain about anyone else's?

• Cool 2

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles

Honestly I am tired of seeing dds go for some of those caps in the first minute, especially in CV/ radar heavy matches. They get clubbed down almost every time and still don't take the cap.