Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Killraz

Colorado, Tier VII Build ideas

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
5 posts
1,033 battles

Hey all,

I recently got the Colorado and after 14 games I'm not doing that bad with her, 50% win ratio. I've seen some people do amazing with her though. Could anyone give me some ideas on upgrades and skills to make her shine? Maybe some tips on how to play as well?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

Killraz

Edited by Killraz
spelling

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,985 posts
4,104 battles

Probably want your standard tank build.

For cap skills, run PT or PM, EM and AR, SI and BoS, and FP with CE. Order is up to you, but I'd take EM, SI, and FP first for their respective skill tiers (2,3 and 4 point skills)

For upgrades, the obvious. 1st upgrade is a toss up, but then you want DCP mod 1, Aiming systems mod 1, and DCP mod 2.

Of course signals and premium consumables help too, especially when combined with Superintendent (SI)

She is the last fat bote of the US BBs. The rest are much quicker and user friendly. If I recall, Colorado recently got a good accuracy buff. Shes less of a shotgun like new mex and more of a sharpshooter. Still, shes a meat bag for most other BBs, and not quick and sly enough to escape punishment. Hone in that accuracy though and the guns are pretty sweet.

Best of luck! Feel free to add me in game. Am free to div up for a few if we happen to be on together. If you want to roll dual Colorado's I'm down! Might need to earn some credits to get her back up to snuff though.:Smile-_tongue:

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
759 posts

Collie does not have the armor so it's not a tank. Her strength comes from those beautiful 406s .

Optimal Configuration
Upgrades

Despite her shortcomings, Colorado is a surprisingly modular ship which can be tailored to focus on main guns, secondaries, or AA.

Slot 1 is most commonly filled with Main Armaments Modification 1 (-20% to the risk of main battery becoming incapacitated. / +50% to main battery survivability. / -20% to main battery repair time. / -20% to the risk of torpedo tubes becoming incapacitated. / +50% to torpedo tubes survivability. / -20% to torpedo tubes repair time.), though Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1 (+100% to secondary battery survivability. / +100% to AA mounts survivability.) is a popular pick for captains who go for a full AA build with other upgrades and commander skills.

Slot 2 has one choice for battleships - Damage Control System Modification 1 (-3% to the risk of flooding and damage received when torpedoes hit the torpedo protection. / -5% to the risk of fire.). This will reduce chances of fire and flood.

Slot 3 offers several options. AA Guns Modification 1 (+2 to number of explosions produced by salvos from medium- and long-range AA defenses.) will boost the outer AA envelope, while Secondary Battery Modification 2 (+20% to secondary battery maximum firing range. / -20% to maximum dispersion of secondary battery shells.) will boost the range and accuracy of secondaries instead. Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1 (+16% to main battery maximum firing range. / +5% to secondary battery maximum firing range. / -5% to maximum dispersion of secondary battery shells.) will increase range and give secondaries a slight boost in range and accuracy, but may be a weaker choice than the other two.

Slot 4 Steering Gears Modification 2 (-20% to rudder shift time.) is recommended and will reduce rudder shift time. Captains with fire problems could also consider Damage Control System Modification 2 (-15% to flooding recovery time. / -15% to time of fire extinguishing.), reducing the amount of time on fire and conserving hit points.

This info comes straight from the warships wiki

GL with the build m8.

Members
396 posts
13,657 battles

You've already got some suggestions on the build, I'll add a thought about playing tips. A quick check of your stats shows a low main battery hit rate for the Colorado (20%). Since the Colorado is rather accurate, I would work on your accuracy. There are several youtube videos that talk through firing procedures that will help. Hit more shells, do more damage, win more games.

Happy hunting.

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,985 posts
4,104 battles
1 hour ago, Versili said:

Slot 4 Steering Gears Modification 2 (-20% to rudder shift time.) is recommended and will reduce rudder shift time. Captains with fire problems could also consider Damage Control System Modification 2 (-15% to flooding recovery time. / -15% to time of fire extinguishing.), reducing the amount of time on fire and conserving hit points.

Interesting. I am strongly in favor of DCP mod 2, with steering gears being the wildcard. The extra 10 seconds of fire is just so painful, especially on a ship as large and meaty as a Colorado. Steering gears are nice, but unless there is planes, the heavy maneuvering is minimal. Just enough to get your guns on target faster. And in the case if planes, the aa is decent enough to put up a fair fight

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
759 posts
20 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Interesting. I am strongly in favor of DCP mod 2, with steering gears being the wildcard. The extra 10 seconds of fire is just so painful, especially on a ship as large and meaty as a Colorado. Steering gears are nice, but unless there is planes, the heavy maneuvering is minimal. Just enough to get your guns on target faster. And in the case if planes, the aa is decent enough to put up a fair fight

Her Captain is setup on my Missouri so strong AA build including AFT her secondaries come in handy for OPs becuse of that .  I dont use her much in randoms, shes my go to OPs ship with very good results .

Members
8 posts
593 battles

I wouldn't bother with rudder mods, the Colorado already has some good rudder and it's slot better used for other things. as others said, heavy on the tank and turret rotation.

Speaking of rudder, use that to your advantage. It's a slow ship but it's at it's best at 10k and under. Your going to find yourself in a lot of T8 and 9 mtaches with faster ships with longer range. The Colorado can often do a 180 before they can reload. You try and charge them from range they will break you down before you get into optimal range. Wait for them the fire, do a hard turn wait for them to fire again and turn back on them. Your now in or extremely close to your optimal range and can brawl them.

Do Not brawl Japanese or German BB's. Jap BB's have good armor and German BB's can out turn you at speed and double whammy you with torpedoes. They have very weak top armor. The Colorado arch is high, but drops hard like a brick at range. You can crash their decks at 16-18k with a spotter plane. Speaking of which, don't bother trying to hit anything beyond 15k without a spotter plane. If you find yourself in a brawl with a German BB aim for the top deck not the waterline. They take more damage there, it seems. You'll probably still lose, but that guy is pretty much useless the rest of the match with almost no HP left.

British BB's? Hit him anywhere, it don't matter, though i seem to get best results when they try to nose it or angle. trying to hit waterline broadside I haven't had much luck getting Cit's I seem to do more damage hitting the top deck, the bow or stern. again, spreading the shots along the length of the ship really helps there with the RNG. Just try to keep them at range. They love HE and HE is your enemy. AP, unless they happen to get a lucky Cit, makes Colorado laugh. Yummy AP.

Also don't do a one punch shot. Get good at click, click, click, click. spread the shots along the the ship. RNGesus hates the Colorado and you'll get better returns doing that then firing them at all once...do a lot more damage that way, too. the dispersion is mostly side to side, not top to bottom (not always, but usually), again use that to your advantage when ships go sideways. Try avoid shooting ships that angle their nose at you, the shells go wide and you'll land on either side of it.

Get used to chat. As a Colorado you will always be the target of Capt. KnowItAll who died in the fist 1 minute and wants someone for him dieing so quick and to to yell at the team for getting outplayed. People love to hate the Colorado. You'll also get a lot of "Get back"....yea, like damn thing isn't an Iowa, it can't spin and run. If you find yourself spawned on the weak end just relegate to the idea that's where your going to die. Your job then is to tank like Mother ***** and keep them from pushing as long as you can while spreading as much damage as you can while your team regroups. 4 or 5 reds targeting you for 3 minutes is 3 minutes the rest of the team isn't getting targeted. Besides, turning and running often means exposing your broadside to several reds, they will kill you in the middle of your turn or send a cruisers after you and burn you down while you run away. . Don't even try it.

The Colorado's raer guns have a pretty good travel rate and can swing quite tight. Try not to go full broadside unless brawling. keep your nose to them and wiggle the tail a bit to bring the rear guns up and swing back. it don't need much they are pretty tight. try getting used to timing it with their shots to reduce the chance of a lucky angled Cit on you.

Don't be afraid of DD's, especially in smoke. Keep your nose pointed at them but the Colorado has great turns and some damn good anti-torpedo armor. It's secondaries are also quite awesome at 5K. You can easily one shot a DD, even with AP, at 6-8k. and if they see you charging, they will almost always run from the smoke and your cruisers can help bring him down. He's expects you to **** your pants and turn ahrd away from him exposing your juicy juicy broadside. Don't do it. If he's near your stern turn you back to him and hope you can get a D or cruiser to chase him down. If he's near your bow turn into him and run him down and make him **** his pants and run out fo the smoke....but don't turn broadside on him until you get past his first torpedo spread. You can usually turn then if you have to before he can reload for another spread.

Cruisers and US BB's and are your bread and butter. US BB's Teir 8 and above have a massive weak spot under the front turrets. Rambo warriors will charge you thinking your easy pickens. Aim just in front of the bow at the waterline and at 10-8k and those shots will land right under the turrets and take out half to three quarter the health. If your good with damage control you can kill them with the second volley. Cruisers Teir 8 and under will pop like balloons if they are stupid enough to go sideways on you and you spread your shots along the entire hull.

Pick your shots wisely, use the mountains to your advantage, but try to keep moving. Don't park behind a mountain unless you got D or cruiser support on your flank to watch fro red DD's sneaking up on you. It takes a long time to stop and start it, and long time to reload, and at range the shells have a huge hang time so if they are moving fats aim well ahead of them. At close range, at that 10 and under, however, the shots are true and straight and quite fast, and hit like a mother's wooden spoon.

Edited by Snagletooth_1

Sign in to follow this