You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
slokill_1

GC and Warspite - $ and Free

27 comments in this topic

[LEGIT]
Members
2,143 posts
28,896 battles

Glad to hear that the GC will remain unsullied, though I don't have it.

It seems to me that for every Premium ship WG releases for $, sooner or later a similar or better premium is available for free,  through a campaign, free XP, coal, steel, or some such.

Kami R., Graf Spee, (PEF), DoY, Nelson, Cossack (OK $0.99), Irian (free in New Tears container if lucky), Massachussetts (free in Flag-O-Rama if lucky), Missouri, Musashi, JB

And now a free Alaska to counter the Salems, Kronstatadts (which was also free ) and Stalingrads. 

All this complaining about pay to win; I don't really see it.  The same quality ships, or the exact ships will sooner or later be available to you if you just play the game.

So nerf herders stop worrying about it.

Power creep is real, but not because of premium ships.

• Cool 9

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles

Let me ask you this.

You prefer to sail in Scharnhost or Gneisenau?

You prefer to sail in Chapayev or Kutuzov?

You prefer to sail in KGV or Nelson?

You prefer to sail in GC or Kongo?

You prefer to sail in a Nikolai or kaiser?

Edited by _no_one_
  • Cool 1

[FML]
Members
3,279 posts
13,911 battles
9 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this.

I like both, and have extensively played both (though Scharnhorst more, as a premium ship).

Chappy has a useful, long range radar - both ships have their role to play.

Don’t have a Kutuzov, but I’m not scared of them as they can’t radar me through smoke, islands.

Not a huge fan of either; play Fiji instead!

Sure, GC all the way. 

Don’t have a Nikolai, but sure it’s a strong ship. 

Having said all that, there are plenty of relatively weak premiums. For instance:

I would prefer to play Kirov over Krasny Krym. 

I would prefer KGV over Duke of York, or even Hood at the moment (heresy, I know).

I would prefer DM over Salem. 

I much prefer Leander over Perth.

I prefer Fiji over Belfast, though I do play both.

I prefer Fuso over Mutsu.

I would prefer Amagi over the Ashitaka.

I much prefer Farragut over Monaghan.

Etc

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 3

Members
1,933 posts
8,575 battles
7 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this...

I actually like KGV... Nelson takes it through the nose from super-aiming bots far too often. 

I rarely play my GC... prefer Kongo's additional speed. 

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
Just now, UltimateNewbie said:

Having said all that, there are plenty of weak premiums. For instance:

I would prefer KGV over Duke of York, or even Hood at the moment (heresy, I know).

Etc

True. And that is the real problem. WG doens't know how to balance ships. And you see the same thing in all tech tree. So if we compare ships from the same class and type in the same tier  you will always see some weak ships and some OP ship. The difference is the fact OP premium ships are paid and use in battle, when the rare thing is to see a player that have spent money in weak premium and took her in battle.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,980 posts
4,104 battles
16 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Gneis. Bigger caliber ftw

But yeah, its called powercreep and it is largley what spoiled WoTs premium structure. Sad to see premiums are untouchable because it does lead to powercreep and rare sales, and it also means I cant get me a Nikolai

• Cool 1

Members
2,500 posts
13,949 battles

I have around 17 premium ships and I only paid $9.99 for Kami because at the time they nerfed Minekazi into oblivion. I have 1.3M FXP and 300k coal but just waiting to see what other prems are released soon.

Bottom line, no, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to buy prem ships. You just have to play smart, do missions, save coal, fxp etc.  Works for me 

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
2,791 posts
10,099 battles
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have around 17 premium ships and I only paid $9.99 for Kami because at the time they nerfed Minekazi into oblivion. I have 1.3M FXP and 300k coal but just waiting to see what other prems are released soon.

Bottom line, no, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to buy prem ships. You just have to play smart, do missions, save coal, fxp etc.  Works for me 

Plus the occasional sale or a lucky 5 dollar Santa Crate or SC .

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,048 posts
4,971 battles
26 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this.

I have a Scharnhorst, but I tried the Gneisenau a few times during the Masked event.  I actually found the latter a bit more appealing since she hits a lot harder than the former.

Kutuzov.  The smoke + fire is a troll magnet...if you don't get focus-fired.

King George V because I'm crap with top-heavy ships.

I don't like "either or."

If I had to choose, probably the Nikolai for the guns. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,048 posts
4,971 battles
12 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

True. And that is the real problem. WG doens't know how to balance ships. And you see the same thing in all tech tree. So if we compare ships from the same class and type in the same tier  you will always see some weak ships and some OP ship. The difference is the fact OP premium ships are paid and use in battle, when the rare thing is to see a player that have spent money in weak premium and took her in battle.

I do agree that is a main issue.

If the premium is underwhelming or just balanced, barely anybody buys it.

If the premium is considered broken, everybody and their mother buys it.

From a business sense, having more OP premiums makes more money for the company at the expense of balance within the game.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
31 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this.

Uh... I dunno. It's kind of a wash. I don't feel like either is demonstrably stronger than the other. Yes, Scharnhorst fires faster, but her guns are also derpy and kind of lame against battleships.

Neither.

Unquestionably KGV. Like, seriously - totally better all-around ship.

GC.

Uhm. I dunno. Kaiser has better armor and AA. Nikolai looks cooler, but she really gets crapped on by carriers. This is kind of a wash, too.

[PVE]
Members
10,488 posts
19,614 battles
25 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this.

• Scharnhorst vs Gneisenau? This is a draw for me. Scharnhorst fires faster (6 sec faster) but the guns are weak. Gneisenau's guns, while just 6 of them, hit very hard when they hit. Both ships have typical KM BB wonky dispersion and the guns on both are not very reliable. Really the biggest advantage between them IMO is that Scharnhorst is a premium.  Otherwise they are so similar that I see neither having any in game battle advantage. One fires faster but does less damage and the other does more damage when the guns hit. Overall the end results are the same with these 2.
  • Chapayev vs Mikhail Kutuzov? This is a no brainer for me. Kutuzov because it has smoke and useable torps. I can see many preferring Chapayev however because it has radar. With the changes to smoke firing Kutuzov is not what it once was but for me it is still superior to Chapayev.
  • KGV vs Nelson? I say give me KGV any day and twice on Sunday. Even though Nelson is a premium ship it doesn't make a difference between these 2 for me. KGV all the way. It's faster, it shoots faster, it is more accurate, and it is tougher. Nelson is ok and all but IMO KGV is the better ship and I greatly prefer playing it.
  • Giulio Cesare vs Kongo? Can I say neither? LOL. Of the 2 I would take Kongo every time. GC is one of the most overrated ships in game IMO. YMMV.
  • Imperator Nikolai I vs Kaiser? This one is pretty much a draw. Nikolai has much more powerful and accurate main guns which for a BB is huge BUT it also has a 36 sec reload vs Kaiser's 26 sec. The faster reload let's Kaiser throw more at the wall over a game and can make up for the poor accuracy compared to Nikolai which while very accurate takes 1/2 a game to shoot 2X's LOL. Both ships are heavily armored and tough as nails. Kaiser is faster and a little more maneuverable. Nikolai has better concealment. Kaiser has better secondary guns and AA. Each have their pros and cons vs the other. I say a draw.

[PVE]
Members
10,488 posts
19,614 battles
40 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Having said all that, there are plenty of relatively weak premiums. For instance:

I much prefer Leander over Perth.

I prefer Fiji over Belfast, though I do play both.

I prefer Fuso over Mutsu.

I would prefer Amagi over the Ashitaka.

I much prefer Farragut over Monaghan.

Etc

• oh lord can I pass on both Kirov and Krispy Kreme? LOL
  • I take KGV over DOY as well. Faster ROF in the same ship seals the deal. Although tbf DOY does have hydro and it's AP seems to hit harder.
  • DM/Salem for me is a draw. DM has better AA and longer range radar (or did) but Salem has that Lazarus heal. Overall a draw for me.
  • Disagree here. Love my Leander. Not a fan of Perth and the creeping smoke and no heal. HE doesn't make up for what it loses (for me).
  • With you all the way. Fiji with it's torps and heal over Belfast every time. 
  • Fuso v Mutsu? Eh. Both are ok neither is a world beater. Mutsu has the bigger guns and has torps (yeah I know not a lot of use - but it has them) and Fuso has the bigger broadside. Might go Fuso just for the gun # edge.
  • Ashitaka is a T7 so the ship to compare it to is Nagato. I know it is the old A Hull Amagi but it's T7 in game not T8. I will take Ashitaka over Nagato in a heart beat. I would take Amagi over it but I would take most T8's over a T7 LOL.
  • Been so long since I played Farragut I will take your word LOL.

[PVE]
Members
10,488 posts
19,614 battles
43 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

I love my Abruzzi. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:
  • I take KGV over DOY as well. Faster ROF in the same ship seals the deal. Although tbf DOY does have hydro and it's AP seems to hit harder.
  • DM/Salem for me is a draw. DM has better AA and longer range radar (or did) but Salem has that Lazarus heal. Overall a draw for me.
  • Disagree here. Love my Leander. Not a fan of Perth and the creeping smoke and no heal. HE doesn't make up for what it loses (for me).
  • With you all the way. Fiji with it's torps and heal over Belfast every time. 
  • Fuso v Mutsu? Eh. Both are ok neither is a world beater. Mutsu has the bigger guns and has torps (yeah I know not a lot of use - but it has them) and Fuso has the bigger broadside. Might go Fuso just for the gun # edge.
  • Ashitaka is a T7 so the ship to compare it to is Nagato. I know it is the old A Hull Amagi but it's T7 in game not T8. I will take Ashitaka over Nagato in a heart beat. I would take Amagi over it but I would take most T8's over a T7 LOL.

Ashitaka is a brute. What was once meh is now awesome.

[PVE]
Members
10,488 posts
19,614 battles
3 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Ashitaka is a brute. What was once meh is now awesome.

I like it a lot don't misunderstand. Just pointing out it should be compared to Nagato not Amagi. Amagi with better armor and more HP, among other things, has to be give the edge for the same basic ship as well. I enjoy my Ashitaka with it's Kobayashi camo however. Good earner even in Co-op.

Members
122 posts
3,684 battles
41 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I do agree that is a main issue.

If the premium is underwhelming or just balanced, barely anybody buys it.

If the premium is considered broken, everybody and their mother buys it.

From a business sense, having more OP premiums makes more money for the company at the expense of balance within the game.

It makes short-term money sense, yes.  But it rots the game out as more and more ships fall behind the ever-increasing power curve.  Or existing ships gets buffs willy nilly to keep pace and there's no way to test shogun blasts of ship changes, and the game rots that way.  

It's all in how long the game developer expects to support and operate the game.  The shorter the time frame, the more they can cannibalize game longevity for cash up front.

A dev that's in it for the long haul resists power creep despite the cash rush from that first hit.

Members
3,714 posts
1 hour ago, _no_one_ said:

Then they should buff the weak ones before they even discuss nerfing the strong ones.

Members
6,209 posts
13,362 battles
1 hour ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this.

Jutland or black?? 

I went Jutland 

[WOLFG]
Members
26,590 posts
6,691 battles
3 hours ago, _no_one_ said:

Let me ask you this.

Gneisenau. Mine's secondary specced.

You prefer to sail in KGV or Nelson DoY?

That's a better question.

[-BSS-]
Members
220 posts
12,927 battles

Let me ask you this.

For me maybe the Scharnhorst but not by much. 

I like the Chapayev better because of radar and because the Kutuzov doesn't hide in smoke well.

I'd say both depending on what I'm trying to do. 

I actually prefer the Kongo over the other T5 BBs.

I'll take the Nikolai there. 

On another note I like the NC better than the Alabama and Massachusetts unless I'm doing a secondary mission then it's the Massachusetts. 

[5IN]
Supertester
2,100 posts
10,126 battles

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on one ship vs another, some are good, some are meh, but I strongly disagree with any ship being considered "pay to win".  If you lack the skill to play a ship to its full potential, then is it really over powered?  In a normal 12 v 12 game, even the most "OP" ship can be sunk, and no win is guaranteed, no matter how much you pay. 

Most consider Nikolai to be OP... I love mine (it is strong, no denying that), but even it has weaknesses that can be exploited.  

Just my 2 cents.

B

• Cool 1

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Gneisenau. Mine's secondary specced. My Scharnhost is also secondary specced. Fun build.

That's a better question. True.

[FML]
Members
3,279 posts
13,911 battles
12 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Sure, but the Kirov is actually good.  

Ah what? I think we are in agreement!

Ah whoops, I was thinking of the Kii rather than the Ashitaka - sorry!

But at T7 probably agree as well.

Seems like we are doing a lot of agreeing in this thread - very much unlike the other one! :p