Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Newport, poor decisions

14 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,924 posts
11,803 battles

The last 3 times I've ran Newport Station on a BB I end up trying to cover half the base from DD's & cruisers. 25 to 30 second reload times do no give you the ability to engage multiple fast moving target quickly. I'm not saying  don't support the other side of the base but one of the quick firing ships needs to stay on each side of the base at all times until the main attack.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,315 posts
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

The last 3 times I've ran Newport Station on a BB I end up trying to cover half the base from DD's & cruisers. 25 to 30 second reload times do no give you the ability to engage multiple fast moving target quickly. I'm not saying  don't support the other side of the base but one of the quick firing ships needs to stay on each side of the base at all times until the main attack.

I've given up herding cats in that scenario....you can usually drag players thru Aegis, but it seems like people have no idea what to do in this one....

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
9,656 battles

I remember the day where I'd have to hard carry in the old Independence. 

[SYN]
Members
15,543 posts
12,778 battles

I don't think the problem with newport is multiple fast targets, but more like the angle of attack presented to you.

It's really hard to sink bow on ships.

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
765 posts
42 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I don't think the problem with newport is multiple fast targets, but more like the angle of attack presented to you.

I find torpedo soup to be quite effective if you have  two DDS working together . Fubukis preferred because of the weapons reload.  .

Edited by Versili

[WOLF3]
Members
23,725 posts
21,154 battles

Newport isn't a great candidate to solo-queue with.  This tends to go wrong very quickly.  Ideally you want a balance of ship types, but DPM is very important because it's usually the bot DDs that break the perimeter and prevent the 5 star wins.  Cruisers are great in this, but they lack staying power that BBs have.  Get too many BBs and the chances for the 5 stars gets considerably lower.

[TDRB]
Members
3,924 posts
11,803 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Newport isn't a great candidate to solo-queue with.  This tends to go wrong very quickly.  Ideally you want a balance of ship types, but DPM is very important because it's usually the bot DDs that break the perimeter and prevent the 5 star wins.  Cruisers are great in this, but they lack staying power that BBs have.  Get too many BBs and the chances for the 5 stars gets considerably lower.

Agreed, solo queuing isn't great in this scenario. And it is best to have a balance of ship types. I do not understand why some run out to meet the 1st wave. They get damaged & when the 2nd & 3rd wave attack 3 or 4 ships are in the repair area. This makes it much easier for those DD's to break the defensive line.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
636 posts
3,635 battles
7 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Its the angle i have most trouble with, bow on isnt as bad as heavily angled for me. Less so with Faster firing ships but its the devil with a Battleship

[HIT]
Members
170 posts
8,911 battles
7 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Agreed, solo queuing isn't great in this scenario. And it is best to have a balance of ship types. I do not understand why some run out to meet the 1st wave. They get damaged & when the 2nd & 3rd wave attack 3 or 4 ships are in the repair area. This makes it much easier for those DD's to break the defensive line.

Everyone staying in the base is just asking to lose, or at the very least get a couple stars knocked off. Some of the ships, particularly those with torpedoes need to leave right away and flank the first few waves. The DDs need to be destroyed or forced to turn. Both are extremely difficult to do from inside the base.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,683 posts
24,446 battles

Many player queue with carriers and want to use the scenario to level their ships. Most of the time they are at the bottom of the XP, so you are already a ship short.

DD that yolo into the enemy or cruisers that don't sail for repairs, they die usually early in the match, you are another one or two ships down.

Player who camp with the repair ships /behind islands or have zero map awarness = no support to stop the first three waves in time.

From all the scenario battles, this is the most frustrating.

[-AGW-]
Members
11 posts
189 battles

This is the worst Op in the current rotation for... cough... "average" random teams. Lack of SA and health management means targets don't get focused well and players are out of the fight early on. Perhaps WG should dial back the bot's fire chance and / or accuracy a bit. It seems to be too much for most players to handle.

I've had 2 five stars that were relatively easy this week with competent teams. A ton of 1 or 2 stars when it was just me and a CV left killing off the final 3 BBs and... several fails that were obvious within the first couple waves. I've given up using it to grind as well. 

[TDRB]
Members
3,924 posts
11,803 battles
11 hours ago, HQ_21 said:

Everyone staying in the base is just asking to lose, or at the very least get a couple stars knocked off. Some of the ships, particularly those with torpedoes need to leave right away and flank the first few waves. The DDs need to be destroyed or forced to turn. Both are extremely difficult to do from inside the base.

When a 7 member division plays the scenario that will work but the odds of it working is very, very slim with random teams. Over 99% of the time you loose a ship or have heavily damaged ships as I stated.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,725 posts
21,154 battles
4 hours ago, kgh52 said:

When a 7 member division plays the scenario that will work but the odds of it working is very, very slim with random teams. Over 99% of the time you loose a ship or have heavily damaged ships as I stated.

Newport is an Operation I would not willingly single-queue up for.  There's several like that (hello Narai) and this one goes to sh*t real easily when the team doesn't know what to expect and what to do at the proper moment.

[TDRB]
Members
3,924 posts
11,803 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Newport is an Operation I would not willingly single-queue up for.  There's several like that (hello Narai) and this one goes to sh*t real easily when the team doesn't know what to expect and what to do at the proper moment.

While I still single queue for Newport & Ultimate Frontier I do find these the toughest to win. The last time Narai was Op of the week I won more than I lost & had several 5 star victories in a row with random teams. Yes, I suffered through a few very bad team efforts too. But overall it wasn't near as bad as it was the 2x before.

Sign in to follow this