You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_TrainWreck_

Whats the best nation for carriers

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
22 posts
285 battles

Hello I was curious about what the best carrier nation is in the game for future plans after my BB and US Cruiser lines are done. Ive already done a little research on carriers before making this post but id like to get other players opinions as well 

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
3 minutes ago, _TrainWreck_ said:

Hello I was curious about what the best carrier nation is in the game for future plans after my BB and US Cruiser lines are done. Ive already done a little research on carriers before making this post but id like to get other players opinions as well 

T8 and T10 american.

T4 and T6 japanese.

[KNCOL]
[KNCOL]
Members
678 posts
1,609 battles

I would currently wait a bit until WG adds a few needed buffs to low tier CVs but i would say both american and japanese carriers are both good/decent when compared to each other

Edited by Koogus
Spelling and grammar

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,812 battles
9 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

T8 and T10 american.

T4 and T6 japanese.

You think the Ranger is worse than the Ryujo?  Just curious, since I only just recently started working on Ranger, and haven't bothered to buy back the Ryujo since the rework hit.  However, compared to the Shokaku, I've found the Ranger to be pretty fun regardless of the MM due to her DBs.  You'll always have your most reliable source of damage available to you, and the TBs are excellent when you can avoid the tougher AA.  I hate to use the word, but the gameplay feels downright easy.  Looking at the Ryujo plane stats it seems like she would suffer greatly when uptiered, but who knows, maybe the potential damage she has over Ranger is worth the consistency.  

[NUWES]
Members
2,762 posts
8,876 battles

Tier 4 really doesn't matter right now. Above that I think the USN is the most consistent right now. Rockets work well and are consistent, DBs work very well and are very consistent, and TBs are workable. I don't have Hakuryu  yet but so far beyond the TBs (which are quite good) I can't say the IJN impresses me. Rocket damage is poorer than normal and the DBs are unreliable. I'm up to Furious on the UK line but my assessment so far is the same as with the IJN. Torps are very good, rockets are passable and the level bombers are unreliable. 

If you are just starting to use them the US carriers are friendliest to start with. The TBs are the most challenging due to short range and (very) slow torps, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure them out. Everything else works as advertised. IJN and UK have a steeper learning curve beyond their TBs. 

[AR]
Members
361 posts
15,737 battles

I've only ever made it Hakuryu + Lexinton. A few games into the UK T4 + T6 CVs, IMHO, I think the UK CVs will be the overall most solid CVs soon. Each CV tree actually has its own niche. IJN TB have the most concealment of all planes, UK TBs are easy and reliable to use, USN DBs are devastating and so on.

[NUWES]
Members
2,762 posts
8,876 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

You think the Ranger is worse than the Ryujo?  Just curious, since I only just recently started working on Ranger, and haven't bothered to buy back the Ryujo since the rework hit.  However, compared to the Shokaku, I've found the Ranger to be pretty fun regardless of the MM due to her DBs.  You'll always have your most reliable source of damage available to you, and the TBs are excellent when you can avoid the tougher AA.  I hate to use the word, but the gameplay feels downright easy.  Looking at the Ryujo plane stats it seems like she would suffer greatly when uptiered, but who knows, maybe the potential damage she has over Ranger is worth the consistency.  

No it isn't. Ranger is both easier and more effective. Ranger drops 3 bombs per strike and Ryujo only drops 2. I just got through Ryujo a few days ago and it has been the single most frustrating CV I've played so far and it is primarily the fault of the DBs. They are very inaccurate compared to Ranger and since they are AP their penetration is inconsistent as well - especially if you have to come in at anything less than an ideal approach straight up the spine of the ship. I can work with one of those but inconsistent accuracy or inconsistent penetration but it is hard to work with both. I'm hoping Shokaku is better, but from my first two days of playing it, it is better only in that it at least drops 3 bombs instead of 2. Enterprise is similar with AP bombs but she drops 2 smaller bombs per plane for a total of 6 so usually a bomb or two will hit for some damage even if you can't get a great angle. 

The hard part with the IJN DBs is you have to fight RNG twice. First to hit at all with fewer bombs dropped, and second for the bombs to even penetrate correctly as opposed to overpenetrate or deflect like if you hit a turret roof or the armored conning tower. 

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
8 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Yes i think so. The reason is the japanese carriers are torpedo monsters and in T6 the american still don't get good rocket planes or torpedo squadrons. The strategy you want to use with the japanese is to focus in using all the time  torpedo squadrons against capital ships, and because they are so good at this you can carry a team to win more easily than the Ranger. At T8 all changes because now you have amazing rockets with the americans so you have a more balance setup which can make you attack any target, and because all squadrons are good option it is more difficult for you to get deplaned. That is the big weakness in the japanese carriers , you can't lose your torpedo squadrons.

[A-CUP]
Members
1,022 posts
8,156 battles

T4 =all equal

T6 Ranger <Ryujo <Furious

T8 Shokaku <l Lexington < Implacable

T10: Torps: Hak > MId

DB: Mid > Hak

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
3 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

No it isn't. Ranger is both easier and more effective. Ranger drops 3 bombs per strike and Ryujo only drops 2. I just got through Ryujo a few days ago and it has been the single most frustrating CV I've played so far and it is primarily the fault of the DBs. They are very inaccurate compared to Ranger and since they are AP their penetration is inconsistent as well - especially if you have to come in at anything less than an ideal approach straight up the spine of the ship. I can work with one of those but inconsistent accuracy or inconsistent penetration but it is hard to work with both. I'm hoping Shokaku is better, but from my first two days of playing it, it is better only in that it at least drops 3 bombs instead of 2. Enterprise is similar with AP bombs but she drops 2 smaller bombs per plane for a total of 6 so usually a bomb or two will hit for some damage even if you can't get a great angle. 

The hard part with the IJN DBs is you have to fight RNG twice. First to hit at all with fewer bombs dropped, and second for the bombs to even penetrate correctly as opposed to overpenetrate or deflect like if you hit a turret roof or the armored conning tower. 

The problem is not the ship. You are comparing apples with oranjes. The reason behind your failure in making the Ryujo to work is the fact you are not focus in using only torps.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
3 minutes ago, Poisonous_Lily said:

T4 =all equal

T6 Ranger <Ryujo <Furious

T8 Shokaku <l Lexington < Implacable

T10: Torps: Hak > MId

DB: Mid > Hak

T4 you want to use only torps. Hosho have the better torps. Hosho wins. Also the Langley is very slow and the Hermes have terrible concealment.

T6 Furious is an Ryujo V2 with the difference in having useless bombers and useless attacker planes, so i don't understand how can you say the Furious is better than the Ryujo.

At T8 i can't talk about the implacable because i don't have that carrier. I know they finally got 2 bomber per attack so maybe they are good. but i have no idea.

[A-CUP]
Members
1,022 posts
8,156 battles
22 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

T4 you want to use only torps. Hosho have the better torps. Hosho wins. Also the Langley is very slow and the Hermes have terrible concealment.

T6 Furious is an Ryujo V2 with the difference in having useless bombers and useless attacker planes, so i don't understand how can you say the Furious is better than the Ryujo.

At T8 i can't talk about the implacable because i don't have that carrier. I know they finally got 2 bomber per attack so maybe they are good. but i have no idea.

I can talk about Furious and Implacable cause of there plane health. Despite weak dmg and gimick bombs( which Implacable gets significantly better DB then Furious) they can withstand a lot longer then thoes of IJN and USN CVs

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,006 posts
16,890 battles

Anything people say in this thread may be out of date within a week or two. CVs are still changing pretty rapidly.

But if were to start grinding them tomorrow or something: all the T4s suck, and USN is the best at all other tiers currently IF you know how to use all the plane types correctly. If you don't know how to use them, then pretty much all CVs suck.

Beta Testers
127 posts
2,359 battles

I have t10 on IJN and USN
Both are have their strength and weakness
Like others pointed out, IJN = Strong TB...   USN = Strong DB
UK line is a whole different story....  Not sure about T10 yet..

but at T8
The TB doesn't hit as hard, but they are easy to aim and the planes can take more damage.
I am not sure what to make of the DB...
The Implacable DB bombs bounce and miss a lot but when they do hit, it cause fire much more often.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
31 minutes ago, Poisonous_Lily said:

I can talk about Furious and Implacable cause of there plane health. Despite weak dmg and gimick bombs( which Implacable gets significantly better DB then Furious) they can withstand a lot longer then thoes of IJN and USN CVs

Ok maybe you are right about the Furious. I have the Furious but after some testings in the training room i didn't like what i saw so i never took her to battle. I am waiting to see if WG change some layouts at lower tier carriers.

Edited by _no_one_

Beta Testers
127 posts
2,359 battles
2 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Ok maybe you are right about the Furious. I have the Furious but after some testings in the training room i didn't like what i saw so i never took her to battle. I am waiting to see if WG change some layouts at lower tier carriers.

Only TB is useful on Furious. 
The DB is almost useless and do very little damage.
The rocket fighters are so slow, the battle might be over before you get there.

I think they need to look a the UK line, especially the bombers. Bombs seem to bounce too often.