You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Your last Die-Hard

24 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
6,035 posts
9,663 battles

Since it's rare, you should be able to remember it. If you don't, then please eat something to refresh your memory.

My most recent Die-Hard was on Shatter yesterday in Grozovoi. Charged a Shimakaze who stayed head-on and rammed it--surprise! I survived w/ 1K HP.

[ARGSY]
Members
16,255 posts
11,121 battles

I can't remember when it was, but I remember what it was. A Haida tried to torp my Nelson and hide in smoke. He failed at both.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

I get them a lot in my DM/Salem. I spend most of my time charging DD's in smoke and especially the Salem actually fairs betters charging than trying to gun them.

[O_O]
Members
5,940 posts
13,721 battles

My last Die Hard?  I remember it well.

It was August 30, 2016.  It was a hot, humid day, and the air hung like a heavy, wet blanket.  I chose to escape the oppressive heat by sitting in my cool, air-conditioned office with a glass of iced tea and play a few games of Warships.

It was Imperator Nikolai I chose to sail that game, as fate would have it.  The conflict that day erupted on Solomon Islands.  The initial calm after spawn could only last so long as opposing naval forces clashed together.  Guns roared like thunder and smoke soon wafted over the seas as cannons barked and ships were set ablaze.  The ships of my naval force began to get the upper hand and we pushed into their territory.  Nikolai may be a slow, lumbering battlewagon, but there was no slowing her steady, methodical advance that battle.  I rounded the tip of the southern island and began to push in.  I got the notification I had been detected, and I realized an enemy Clemson was unaccounted for.  Could this destroyer be stalking me?  My questions were answered a few seconds later as she appeared.  The enemy was all but beaten, and the Clemson captain apparently realized it.  What more glorious way to suffer defeat than to strike one last deadly blow to a battleship monster?  The Clemson captain launched his torpedoes, but his aim was off and I was sharp...only one struck its mark.  As my guns swung around, the Clemson captain drove straight for me in an attempt to torpedo me to the bottom of the sea with his very ship.  His small vessel was too fast...too maneuverable...the impact was unavoidable.  The Clemson smashed into my starboard side.

But Nikolai was too strong.  Clemson crushed in from the bow and exploded into flames, then began to slip below the waves.  Damage was done, but the strike was not fatal.  Nikolai shrugged off the blow and sailed on to victory.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Funny 3

[WOLFG]
Members
26,590 posts
6,691 battles
35 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

I get them a lot in my DM/Salem. I spend most of my time charging DD's in smoke and especially the Salem actually fairs betters charging than trying to gun them.

That was similar to my last one. Charged smoke in a Pensacola, and the silly Benson was sitting still, dead center in front of me. I didn't even have to alter course to avoid his torps lol, T-boned him dead amidships.

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,610 battles

like last week? A Moskva rammed my conqueror.   Was a close game too, Im guessing he thought he would take me with him.  Best thing, I mostly got all that health back through heals, so it was a really bad trade for his team.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,980 posts
4,104 battles

I was in Jean during ranked. No hotel yankee flag, and I was going for the ram on an enemy Jean. A few moments before I regretted my decision and slammed the S key. Ended up just barely touching him and survived. 

Fun stuff

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Your last Die-Hard, Since it's rare, you should be able to remember it.

Die-Hards are too hard to find nowadays, I just use Napa batteries. Just replaced the Napa battery in my truck last week. It lasted 7 years.

• Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,346 posts
13,329 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Die-Hards are too hard to find nowadays, I just use Napa batteries. Just replaced the Napa battery in my truck last week. It lasted 7 years.

Too funny :cap_like: I think mine was a 1980's model Bronco ... I've since switched to mostly Interstate for replacements.

Otherwise, according to the record ... 3/23/18 with the Kongo ... no way I remember that.

[WOLF2]
Members
335 posts
6,385 battles

A couple of weeks ago, I was in my Nelson pushing a cap with a friendly DD. DD runs away, rest of team turns back. I keep pushing find a Wichita and Musashi, ram the Wichita, get one cit on the mushy before he deleted me. Was fun, poor Wichita didn't know what to do lol

[DPG]
Members
1,764 posts
7,892 battles

My last and only die hard was in the Langley when I first started grinding CVs years ago.   It was on the Strait map before I realized that hiding in the cluster of islands was a bad idea.  A little DD popped up.  I managed to dodge the first torp spread and as it came around the bow of my ship, I hit hard to port and tapped the DD.  Popped it like a zit.  One of the greatest moments in my time playing WoWS.

shot-19.03.14_10.31.27-0699.jpg

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,255 posts
11,121 battles
4 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Popped it like a zit.  One of the greatest moments 

Because everyone remembers their first time painting the bathroom mirror yellow. :Smile_teethhappy:

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
8,286 battles

Got it in my Neptune against a Mogami.  He charged and rammed.  

Also got my favorite Flesh Wound with the Neptune too as one of its secondaries put the Bismark on fire and burned him to death.  People were questioning the highlight of Neptune fire killed something.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts
1 hour ago, Amenhir said:

My last and only die hard was in the Langley when I first started grinding CVs years ago.   It was on the Strait map before I realized that hiding in the cluster of islands was a bad idea.  A little DD popped up.  I managed to dodge the first torp spread and as it came around the bow of my ship, I hit hard to port and tapped the DD.  Popped it like a zit.  One of the greatest moments in my time playing WoWS.

shot-19.03.14_10.31.27-0699.jpg

My first Die-Hard was with a CV vs a DD too. That was the moment when I first realized that a ship could ram another and not be destroyed itself.

[WOSV]
Members
584 posts
3,347 battles

A Baltimore rammed me in the Alaska like, last week? Lived, then almost rammed the Wichita that was with him, but I died first.

Members
4,034 posts
4,347 battles

Ironically also Perth. A dd missed all his torpedoes and went for the ram. I forget if I happened to have a ramming flag or not. 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,143 posts
28,896 battles

I'm learning to play CV's and a couple days ago my Langley finished its 5 points map thing and was near the coast in some map.  A DD came around the corner and was out of torps I guess.  I started up the engines and rammed the rat. Easier than trying to hit him with rockts or bombs.  I think he didn't expect that.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,141 posts
9,996 battles

Toward the end of last clan battles season, I was running Stalingrad. Had the ram flag up. 

Enemy Yamato and Moskva were positioned very poorly, and Yamato got slapped on the cheek until she died. Moskva couldn't escape without showing me broadside and there was nobody there to help him out, so he decided to go for the ram.

I came out of the ram with, iirc, 36 HP left.

By the end of the battle I had run my heal a couple times and was back up to about 50k.

We won.

[WLDD]
Members
119 posts
5,944 battles

I was involved in enough rams in ranked that I started running ram flags.  I think I had a couple die-hards...the memorable one was in kron against another Kron and I was without the ramming flag...went on to play a key role in the win so the die-hard was the key moment in the battle.  I was reversing...very slow collision of course.  Don’t think I had more than one die hard with the flags...they don’t help that much

Edited by CharlesBB55

Members
182 posts
2,788 battles

Mine was in a Pheonix.  I had just been surprised by a DD appearing at close range from around an island and took some torps to the bow, but IIRC, sank the DD with my own torps.  An enemy CL also appeared at close range, and being at low hp, I went for the ram.  I survived the ram, which sank the CL, repaired the flood, and thought to myself "OK, looks like I might survive this battle."  Then I suddenly exploded. 

I was confused for a moment, because there were no enemy ships in range, until I looked at what killed me.  It was a "friendly" cruiser that had probably been firing at the enemy cruiser I had just sank.